Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Top of the head, the biggest fort I found had two outside smalls and one large outside. So two gardens (+3 food max I think) and one farm (six food max?) plus four food outposts all add up to sixteen total food. Theoretically that would be the max sustainable number, but outposts should not be used for food and meds since you can make those imo. So the real hard cap would be 12 people if you never run food packs.

That's not awful, but it's definitely a lot less sustainable than SoD1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
How does dismissing a follower work? If I dismiss them far from home base does it send them on a risky journey home through dangerous zombie-infested lands?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tumble posted:

How does dismissing a follower work? If I dismiss them far from home base does it send them on a risky journey home through dangerous zombie-infested lands?

Yes, although I'm not sure if they walk the whole way or teleport offscreen.

Using followers is awesome and should be done always but they do require a lot of babysitting.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I do miss being able to call someone to pick things up.

Also is there any similar thing to where you would take a survivor on a run to talk to them about what a dick they are. Because those were funny but also helpful

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Do be careful about bringing followers though. A common but infuriating bug for me is the one where the survivor vanishes, but the game says they're nearby on the minimap, occasionally teleporting next to you but still nowhere in sight to help. Usually it requires some fuckery with switching control or even running back home, switching, then trying to find the original survivor you controlled before they vanish too.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

If you buy the game on pc, but do not have xbox gold, can you still play multiplayer?

Seems like a stupid question, but I got gears 4 a while ago almost entirely to play horde mode, and it would not let me even do local games without gold.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Truspeaker posted:

If you buy the game on pc, but do not have xbox gold, can you still play multiplayer?

Seems like a stupid question, but I got gears 4 a while ago almost entirely to play horde mode, and it would not let me even do local games without gold.

Yes

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Fantastic, thanks!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I didn't opt to buy the Ultimate Edition or whatever so I'm banking on the regular version to be stable. Hope to hear some trip reports--mainly on stability!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

God drat, I just want a fuckin' Sheriff. Out of my 7 current survivors 5 of them are Warlords!

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 22, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Once you select a leader it's impossible to change right? Minus a restart?

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Is anyone else having problems with mouse capture and multiple monitors? My game does not capture my mouse at all which renders the game unplayable without using a third party program to lock it to one monitor. Happens in both fullscreen and windowed.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Drakenel posted:

Do be careful about bringing followers though.

I had a follower die to the blood plague (I presume) and I didn't realise he'd been zombified until he took a chunk out of my neck.

That was real neat. I always presumed that in the first game when people died they got tore in half to avoid having to re-animate them, so it was good for it to happen here.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

tehllama posted:

Is anyone else having problems with mouse capture and multiple monitors? My game does not capture my mouse at all which renders the game unplayable without using a third party program to lock it to one monitor. Happens in both fullscreen and windowed.

Yeah noticed that more than a few times but only when switching inventory and different menus.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Once you select a leader it's impossible to change right? Minus a restart?

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen people say that if your leader dies, you get to pick a new one.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Does this game have a borderless windowed mode? Can't find any info on if it does / doesn't.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

iGestalt posted:

Does this game have a borderless windowed mode? Can't find any info on if it does / doesn't.

At this time, it does not. Windowed, and Fullscreen.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I thought all UWP apps run in a borderless window no matter what

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Not sure about that, but full screen is exclusive full screen. And windowed mode has the borders. I tried editing the ini for FullScreenMode=1 (according to the UE engine docs, that should be borderless-windowed) and it just went into exclusive full screen. As a constant alt-tabber, this saddens me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I played sod1 on PC and it was okay but still a lot of wandering gethrtiny and not much shooting.. is this still the case? Is fort building really helpful this time around?

I read the OP but why should I buy this game?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 22, 2018

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
It's like State of Decay 1.5. If you liked the gameplay loop you would probably like this. If you didn't, you'll probably want to skip it.
You still need to scavenge and wander around a bunch, especially since now you can't call in a community member to loot the place (but you can have one follow you around).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I edited.. are bases actually useful? Maybe I just sucked at the first game

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would also like to know that.

Also please just sell your drat game on Steam, i have like 150 steam games and like 5 games that are not. Make it convenient for me :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nion posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen people say that if your leader dies, you get to pick a new one.

Long live the king

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Drunken Baker posted:

I had a follower die to the blood plague (I presume) and I didn't realise he'd been zombified until he took a chunk out of my neck.

That was real neat. I always presumed that in the first game when people died they got tore in half to avoid having to re-animate them, so it was good for it to happen here.

Yea, you have to kill them again or you don't get your stuff back.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Long live the king

Meet the new king, same as the old king.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

explosivo posted:

The game gets harder to maintain a level of stability the more you get into it. Higher leveled bases require resources to upkeep and more people in your base = more mouths to feed. I was feeling pretty comfy with 5 people in the church but lost 2 of my best guys taking out a plague heart and have been trying to crawl my way back since then.

as you kill Plague Hearts the number of zombies they spawn when damaged, and the number of special zombies around them, both increase. The longer the game goes on the more special zombies spawn as parts of hordes, and the more blood plauge hordes spawn from infections instead of regular zombie hordes. Difficulty ramps up rather than down in this one (I know this is more of a response to the person you're responding to, but I haven't seen anyone else say it).

Large bases generate a metric fuckton of noise, too. If you've got two upgraded sleeping ares that's 2 constant noise, a level 3 radio tower generates 3+ noise, an upgraded workshop generates 2 noise when it's NOT in use and an additional noise whenever you make anything. Generators make noise, if you use anything to improve moral (lounge, latrine) or train skills that will generate noise. I've got a midsize base with 9 people and my noise often goes red, which tends to bring down a mega horde.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is there still stamina for fighting?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TheAnomaly posted:

game is hard

To add onto this, there's no more sniper tower where your survivors in the base will sit around and clear out any enemies who get too close, and there's no free explosive to take out any hordes from outposts. Influence is also now much more difficult to farm up, unless you're willing to sell some solid gear. All-in-all it's MUCH more difficult to get to a steady point where you don't feel like you're perpetually treading water, which is a good thing. The point where the first game got boring was when you started coasting, and it was very very easy to get to that point. A lot of times, I wouldn't leave the first safehouse I built (always the one near the church) because I had no incentive to, but I'm on day three and I'm trying to farm renown so I can get a better base to try and preempt a lot of these problems I'm having.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will be w/o internet for a while, is this game worth it if I will not be playing multiplayer AT ALL?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the multiplayer is there, but not realpy required. It does a login check on bootup, so Im wondering if it is playable offline.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, the multiplayer is there, but not realpy required. It does a login check on bootup, so Im wondering if it is playable offline.

It is, you can turn it on in the gameplay options.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Taking out plague hearts is so easy if you set off a firecracker or boombox outside first.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

explosivo posted:

It is, you can turn it on in the gameplay options.

Playing offline (on PC at least) is also the only way you can pause the game.

tater_salad posted:

Is there still stamina for fighting?

Yep.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wiseblood posted:

Taking out plague hearts is so easy if you set off a firecracker or boombox outside first.

I should put a boombox next to a boxmine next plague heart I roll over.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

To add onto this, there's no more sniper tower where your survivors in the base will sit around and clear out any enemies who get too close, and there's no free explosive to take out any hordes from outposts. Influence is also now much more difficult to farm up, unless you're willing to sell some solid gear. All-in-all it's MUCH more difficult to get to a steady point where you don't feel like you're perpetually treading water, which is a good thing. The point where the first game got boring was when you started coasting, and it was very very easy to get to that point. A lot of times, I wouldn't leave the first safehouse I built (always the one near the church) because I had no incentive to, but I'm on day three and I'm trying to farm renown so I can get a better base to try and preempt a lot of these problems I'm having.

There still are watch towers I think, they're just not free anymore.

I haven't played very much but the base building seems to have more interesting choices to make with things like base wide generators/water tanks that can boost other facilities and the mods you can put in them that need power and fuel while generating noise. It's kind of given me decision paralysis and I still have two free slots in my first base because I can't choose which ones I'll need the most.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Jesus Christ, the game asks me every drat time I log in if I want to rate the game and I always hit never. So this time I decided to just loving rate it and submitting the rating crashed my game. Microsoft can get the biggest turd.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Good old Microsoft store experience

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I loving poo poo you not. I posted that right after the crash. Just now I had to alt-f4 out of the hung app and now my brand new freshly installed on Sunday Windows 10 image will not run SoD2 and the start>restart/shutdown button isn't working. :wtf:

e: now the start button doesn't work at all. See you after a hard boot.

e2: I'm back. SoD2 launched and it's still asking me to rate. Fool me once.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 22, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some co-op with a friend for the first time today and it was a pretty positive experience. I like how the color coded looting works, I also like how you can each put down map markers and everyone can see them. I do wish if you looted something and left it alone that it would turn the container to 'free loot' mode or something, because I had no inventory space but my friend needed something in the box. I had to drop an item, pick the other thing up out of the box, then drop that for my friend and pick up my item.

I'm also confused about stashing stuff, using my friend's stash box I could freely access everything I have in mine, but since I was there to help my friend I had a bunch of poo poo for him. As far as I can tell the easiest way to do this is to dump my stuff into his truck and have him transfer to his stash? Seems clunky but it works I s'pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
Anyone else stuck on the Primary Goal 'Clear Your Town of Plague Hearts' but can't find any and the radio command 'Locate Plague Hearts' is not working.