Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is this game going to be sold as a closed game you can't mod and Windows 10 only?

What does your heart tell you?

That said, I'm gonna use the free trial of the MS Gamepass dealie to try this out (that's still going on right?) I loved the first game and this looks like more of the same with a better UI and graphics plus co-op, although the co-op integration looks lacking, sadly. I assume I'm going to like this enough to put down $30 to play it more but the Windows Store thing is worth being at least a little cautious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I DEEPLY REGRET buying the $100 bundle for Horizons 3 to play it a few days early but.. $50 is a much easier pill to swallow. Someone talk me out of paying $20 extra to play a game a few days early :ohdear:

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention tomorrow is payday. :ohdear:x2

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 17, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I hope it's not too multiplayer-centric, I really prefer playing most games like this on my own.

From what I've seen multiplayer seems to be somewhat of an afterthought in that it's there but the implementation is lacking so I wouldn't be too worried.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So if I did want to pay $20 extra to play this tomorrow, can I buy it tomorrow or is it a pre-order only thing?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

From what I've seen a lot of the reviews seem to be from people who just don't like this type of game. Listening to everyone (but Brad) at Giantbomb talk about this game like it's some kind of indecipherable ancient text saddens me. There are a lot of systems in this game but it's not a hard concept to grasp, people!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What's the extra content that comes with the Ulitmate edition? Is it worth the extra dosh?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I saw that quicklook at for some reason they called the first game "incredibly dense and impenetrable" which is confusing because the first game was extremely straight forward.

Yeah as much as I love Giantbomb they've been dipping into crotchety old man territory a good bit as of late.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Trying to buy this on the MS store and it just refreshes the page. I just want to give MS my money in exchange for this game. :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Trying to buy this on the MS store and it just refreshes the page. I just want to give MS my money in exchange for this game. :argh:

I had to log out/log in of the store to get this to work btw. Downloading now :woop:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Yo my dude. Park your car in the parking spot, get to the truck, and hover your curser over those rucksacks. On controller it is right trigger, but look at the button prompts to see "TRANSFER TO BASE"

That needs to be inthe op. Ill finish reading your post after I post.

Oh this works with items too <3

Draw distance of zombies on the PC should be better than 100 yards away :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ebenezer posted:

If you haven't seen the reddit post that talks about .ini tweaks, it's worth looking at. The draw distance parameter is probably what you're looking for, but I've added most of them and now I can only play on PC until maybe we get UI options on Xbox that control each of these settings.

These are great, thanks for the heads up! I don't see anything about draw distance in there unless I'm missing something, but I'm glad you're at least able to make tweaks like this on the PC.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Don't forget to get your free supply drops if you're playing this game now. The weapons are real nice to have!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God damnit, just lost my 2 best survivors because I drove into a ditch and got stuck just as 2 hordes were wandering by. Things went downhill quickly.

How do I use the skill magazines? My guy just says "NOPE!" when I try using it and I have no idea why.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ebenezer posted:

Sorry, I meant depth of field. Oops. Same intention as what you were looking for, I think.

Maybe it is, I meant that there's a real extreme pop-in where you can stand farish away from a zombie and walk back and forth past the invisible line where it'll disappear and re-appear. I think that's more LOD/Draw distance stuff but nothing stood out in the .ini that would control that. I want to look over a town and see every zombie shambling around ala Dead Rising. I just don't think the engine is built for that kind of stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does the guy have an empty skill slot?

Oh poo poo, probably not. I assumed you could assign multiple skills but that wouldn't make much sense.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Unfortunately not, and if the person has some random skill like music or basket weaving you cant replace it with something more practical

drat, that's definitely what was happening then. Oh well, I suddenly have two more spots in my community so i'll just have to try again! :v:

Let us perform electroshock therapy to make them forget music so I can teach them how to garden.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shoehead posted:

I'm thinking of moving my base, the little starter house is packed tight and I've more resources than I can actually use right now. Dunno if it's a big process or anything but I have my eye on a big church in a nearby town.

It's not a hassle at all, just need to make sure you have enough influence and enough survivors in your community. It's 1000 for the church and you need 5 members. Everything in your storage gets teleported to the new place so go nuts!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Heads up, if you're like me and sometimes have to get up and leave your computer go to the MP options and set it to private mode. ESC pauses when you're offline :eng101:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This game needs a way to enforce "Keep the goddamn gates shut" as a rule. KEEP THE GODDAMN GATES SHUT!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

veni veni veni posted:

meh-This one starts out so much easier than the first one, nothing even feels like a threat so far. I remember the first game being tense as poo poo at the beginning. I hear this game skews hard but I sure haven't seen any evidence of it yet. I liked how the first game felt really hard gameplay-wise at the beginning but it took a bit before I felt like I needed to gently caress with base building. This one feels like the opposite where weapons are easy to come by, zombies are scarce and it's throwing a ton of base poo poo at me right off the bat.

The game gets harder to maintain a level of stability the more you get into it. Higher leveled bases require resources to upkeep and more people in your base = more mouths to feed. I was feeling pretty comfy with 5 people in the church but lost 2 of my best guys taking out a plague heart and have been trying to crawl my way back since then.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KirbyKhan posted:

Yeah, the multiplayer is there, but not realpy required. It does a login check on bootup, so Im wondering if it is playable offline.

It is, you can turn it on in the gameplay options.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some co-op with a friend for the first time today and it was a pretty positive experience. I like how the color coded looting works, I also like how you can each put down map markers and everyone can see them. I do wish if you looted something and left it alone that it would turn the container to 'free loot' mode or something, because I had no inventory space but my friend needed something in the box. I had to drop an item, pick the other thing up out of the box, then drop that for my friend and pick up my item.

I'm also confused about stashing stuff, using my friend's stash box I could freely access everything I have in mine, but since I was there to help my friend I had a bunch of poo poo for him. As far as I can tell the easiest way to do this is to dump my stuff into his truck and have him transfer to his stash? Seems clunky but it works I s'pose.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For what it's worth I haven't run into any real bugs so far in my 10-15hrs of playing. Every now and then your car hits an obstacle that causes it to catapault into the air comically but haven't had any game breaking poo poo happen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I love the front-facing instakill you get for I think it's the blademaster class. Being able to walk up to any zombie from any direction and get an instakill is so nice to have.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone check out all the vehicle upgrades yet? I just upgraded into a Big Boss but was wondering if there were any upgrades that added more storage space onto the vehicle. Something about the description on the upgrade for the Ambulance mentions storage space but wasn't sure if that meant it already has a large amount of space or it adds more.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Staging Area; worth it? I built it hoping it would reduce all upkeep but seems to only get rid of the materials upkeep which seem kinda meh. I do like that I was able to build an auto mechanic, craft a bunch of the upgrades, then demolish it. The passive vehicle upgrades that gives seems pretty lovely so I think I'll just build one when I need to craft some upgrades but I made 2 of each which should last me.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 29, 2018

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CascadeBeta posted:

Also, when can I move to a new place? The starting house on the hill in the plateau map is fine but it's really cramped.

Whenever you find one and have enough influence/community members. The first upgrade from the starting base is I think 1000 influence.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Do certain traders buy certain luxury goods for more than others? I have a trading post and a still and trying to maximize my returns.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I don't think molotovs do a ton of damage to them, I usually bring whatever explosives I have and throw them all and when I run out of it's still there I shoot the gently caress out of it and if I run out of ammo go hit it with a baseball bat some more. Alternatively, learn how to craft C4 because you only need one of those fuckers to destroy a blood heart.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That reminds me of the survivors who are like "We desperately need food!" who are also trading a rucksack of food. Buy the rucksack, turn it over to them, and they go "Oh how did you ever find this?"

:v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CascadeBeta posted:

Can you trade items to your npc follower from your base or do you have to switch to then to have them pick up items? I'm expecting the latter but wondering if there's a way to do the former.

Have to switch :-\

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God damnit, I finished the final mission in my first community, loaded up my 3 top-tier dudes with everything I wanted to save, then started a new community with them. It put me in the same map as before, and if I'm going to play again I'd really like it to be on a new map. I deleted this community, started a new one, and now I can't pick the 3 that I carried over from the last game that I had in the community I deleted. I have all the other scrubs from my community but none of the gear and nobody's particularly great. I guess I'm starting fresh on a new map :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

One of the things you can order with 350 influence is to look for a new map to play on

Aw man :smithicide:

Edit: Oh well, starting fresh will be better anyway. I still get the influence boon for the trader legacy and it was too loving easy with the snap-to headshots and instakills with bladed weapons from the front.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Twlight posted:

bah! thanks for confirming though

If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing. I took the opportunity to roll new dudes and I'm having fun again.

Although I'm still pissed about losing those vehicle upgrades I brought along :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It took a while for my legacy mission to show up, but I do know that I could quit the game and come back and I wouldn't have the legacy mission again until ~15-20 minutes when it would randomly pop up again. Maybe try quitting the game and coming back to it? Go out and do some stuff and see if it pops up then?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wow, good rear end patch! Bummed I can no longer phase through zombies to grab them from behind for an easy kill but that was cheap as gently caress anyway so not a huge deal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't seem to access the new DLC in game despite preordering the ultimate edition. It shows up in game as "Available" and not in the purchased tab, but in the store it says I own it. Tried checking for updates and it's up to date so... how do I install this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I can't seem to access the new DLC in game despite preordering the ultimate edition. It shows up in game as "Available" and not in the purchased tab, but in the store it says I own it. Tried checking for updates and it's up to date so... how do I install this?

Playing with some friends tonight and "YOU HAVE PURCHASED THE INDEPENDENCE DAY PACK!!" popped up in the center of the screen randomly. :psyduck:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

blastron posted:

I try not to post in this thread much because I don’t want to be mobbed but this is easily the second-most embarrassing bug I have ever had escape me and I am very sorry about this. It was literally just a bad file export and will be patched as soon as possible.

Oh, heh, if it makes you feel any better it was absolutely not a big deal. Your game rocks and I look forward to more updates :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Coolguye posted:

it works on keyboard if you hit space but when you have a mouse the usefulness is rather diminished

Nah, it's busted in the last update. I think if you already had it maxed it works, but the first time it levels up it breaks it? Something like that. Also even with a KB+M that poo poo is ridiculously powerful. Being able to bring a .22 and just snap-to the heads of every zombie in a pack and 1-shot them with a headshot is something I could never reliably do that quickly even with a mouse.