Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, I thought that was such a great reveal in the original. You're so used to TV show plots where the kid is "good at computers" and comes up with some revolutionary new idea that over the course of 8-9 episodes you've just accepted that George-Michael is about to cash in with his app, and then you find out no, it's just the same ol' Bluth family lying to eachother.

And then they just kinda blow it immediately in the recut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, and originally you're thinking "it's just George-Michael being weird and awkward, of course." It just turned the entire premise of that whole subplot on its head, and they'd been building on it for practically the entire show. I can see how it might have been difficult when you're trying to cut together George-Michael segments with the rest of the cast, but was really a shame that they didn't try to maintain it for the recut.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Jason Bateman really comes off as a real life Michael Bluth, holy poo poo. That role must not be much of a stretch for him.

That whole situation was really forced and awkward, though. If the entire thing was supposed to be an interview about the allegations against Tambor, that's one thing, but they were talking about the show and Trump and then they just sorta insert that stuff in there, which is going to change the vibe of the discussion entirely. I don't think Bateman and Cross were expecting the changeup and were trying to keep things light.

Not that it's an excuse for pushing Jessica Walter's feelings to the curb. Like, wow, I've never used the term "mansplaining" before, but that's exactly why that word was invented.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What if they just fire Tambor and get the actor who plays Oscar instead?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I donít think that actually happens no.

Hell the person wasnít even arguing that.

But nice attempt at a burn I guess

Then why did you reply "What the gently caress." to a reasonable post about not judging a relationship that we don't know anything about?

Bust Rodd posted:

Amy Poehler wrote a book about marriage and relationships and she had a passage about maintenance sex being an important tool in a married person’s repertoire and that really cemented the idea in my head that she was probably a very smart lady but with some stuff going on, and according to her neighbors she sucked to live next door to.

I'm curious about this now. Why did she suck to live next door to?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

That note that Michael left for Lucille 2 (and George Michael)... is there something in the DSM about what it indicates when your handwriting changes multiple times in a twenty-word message? Just the wording alone makes him sound a little nutty, but it absolutely looks like it's written by an insane person. I really thought the cop would have pinned him as a much bigger suspect based on that note alone.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I really liked "It's Relucto, the apprehensive clown!" "I don't wanna--" "There's his catchphrase!"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

When is the next half of the episodes going to come out? Is it today?

I think I liked this half season more than Season 4. Not nearly as good as original AD, but aside from Lindsay, it felt like they had a much easier time getting the actors in the same room -- even if the jokes weren't all that rapid-fire, I do enjoy seeing the cast actually getting a chance to play off eachother. I also liked Tobias' scenes a lot better in this one, just hated every moment Debris was onscreen last season. Kooky meth heads just aren't funny to me, I guess. (That scene with her eating butter in the barter-restaurant is on my all-time worst TV list.) I wish they'd given him more of an arc, because for some reason I really liked the stuff with him pushing his son into acting, just wish we'd been around to see how that whole scenario got set up. Maybe flashbacks in the next halfseason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

There were definitely a few top tier episodes in the Comedy Central run afterwards, though.

The subject is "shows that were revived and were as good or better than before their cancellation" though, and original Futurama was definitely better than the new seasons. I will definitely grant you the fact that there were a good handful of new eps that were pretty amazing and could hang with the best of the original series, though.

Does The Expanse count? They won't have any missing years, but they were definitely cancelled and picked up by Amazon. It's too early to call it for the Amazon seasons anyway, though.

• Locked thread