Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Emerson Cod posted:

I hate how the beeped out Tobias’s gleeful bullshit when told that there was a raccoon outside.

Tobias on To Entrap a Local Predator is one of my favorite scenes of the entire show, let alone season 4, and it's a crime the remix took out part of it (when John Beard asks him how old Maebe is) and obscures part of it (Ron Howard talking over part of the setup).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't seen S4 since it premiered and I'm not done with the remix yet, so my memory is fuzzy, but doesn't that season end on a cliffhanger?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes, Lucille 2 is apparently dead and Buster is accused of her murder.

Although, I remember a shot of the stair car steps covered in what appears to be blood but without any body shown at the end of the final episode in the original cut, whereas they show apparently bloody stair car step with Lucille 2 laying on them in the first episode of the remix, so I don't know if they changed it or if I just misremembered it.

I also thought that shot in the first episode of the remix was new.

If I recall, the original S4 also ends with Maebe being arrested as a sex predator after sleeping with her underage boyfriend.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's something I've been curious about ever since the original season 4 - is there any reason why Gérard Depardieu was chosen to be Lem's dad, or was that just a random choice? Is he known for having a lot of affairs or something?

Steve2911 posted:

Huh, I don't remember noticing it when S4 first came out but Ron Howard is kind of... sucky in the remix? Did they re-record/change a lot of his lines? It sounds like he's struggling to remember the inflections he used to use.

He re-recorded his lines but that was apparently three years ago. I actually don't think he sounds that different in the new narration, but he did sound off to me in the s5 trailer.

Actually speaking of narration, I just started episode 20 of the remix, and is there a new John Beard narration at the start when he's talking about Cinco?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The one that always sticks out for me is Tony Wonder in the background at GOB's wedding.

I finished the remix, which is also the first time I've seen S4 entirely in years. It's funny, maybe a tiny bit is the new narration, but the series seems a lot more 2018 than 2013 - the central plot about a right-wing politician running on a platform to build a wall with Mexico, Lindsey becoming a Hilary lookalike at the end, Jeffrey Tambor playing a guy who essentially transitions at the end (even if... whoops), the other big central plot about a Facebook-analog's privacy concerns, even noticing all the actors who went on to be in Veep stuck out to me... S4 may have been mixed, but it was prescient, I'll give it that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bluths for Family of the Year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC3HlWL1hU4

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So on the latest episode of the podcast How Did This Get Made, one of the advertisements was for a Never-Nude mockumentary starring Tobias that will be coming out May 29.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nichael posted:

I am 90% sure the George Sr. plot was written before Transparent cast him.

It definitely was, and probably filmed before it, too, since I think S4 was filmed in 2012.

I did like that in the remake, the final line from the narrator in regards to George is a reference to it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

In general, Season 4 feels a lot more mean-spirited/cruel to me than Seasons 1 - 3 ever did, though I don't know if I could articulate anything concrete as to why I feel that way.

I thought the entire Tobias storyline in the season, while absolutely hilarious, was really mean and cruel to him in a way that his merry mix-ups in the original run never were.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Has any superfan made an attempt to put years to the different parts of S4? Technically it spans from 06 (Queen Mary) to 13 (Lucille 2 murder),

Don't they say in the show that it's only five years in between the Queen Mary and the Cinco night events?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ingmar terdman posted:

Just spotted Scott Clam of Check it Out fame as one of the Sudden Valley residents.

Haha, I can't believe I missed that. Need to watch that again now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, that's what I remember the takeaway being back in 2013.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Did they even sonsummate the marriage?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember watching the first three seasons at the time, I felt like the show's tone was something like the mythical 'moderate Republican' who was against George W. Bush but not on the left. Michael in particular always came across as like a McCain/Romney type. The only 'liberal' character on the show was Lindsey and her being a liberal stereotype was her whole point.

That being said I do think the first three seasons were pretty clearly a big critique of the Bush family/admin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just finished the fourth episode. It's good so far, but not as good as the first three seasons. It feels like it was made with a lot less money - the almost total lack of recurring characters outside of the Bluths themselves is really noticeable. It just feels kind of sparser than AD typically feels.

I think so far the only returning characters are Kitty, John Beard, Steve Holt, Stan Sitwell, and Rebel Alley in a single scene that seems like it was filmed during season 4 but held on to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just finished the half-season. It doesn't quite blow me away, and there are parts of it I think are weaker than 4, but parts that I also think are stronger. Though the almost complete lack of Lindsey is very noticeable, as is the green-screen. I do think it gets stronger as it goes, especially the last 3-4 episodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

Does it pick up noticeably down the line? I'm one of those people who really liked S4 once it all started clicking into place, but I'm just not digging the vibe with this one.

Yeah, as I wrote above, I do think that the second half of the (mini) season is much stronger than the first half, even if it does still have its issues.

One thing that does change in the second half, there are more of the recurring characters who show up, so it feels less focused entirely around the core cast (sans Lindsey).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just noticed that A.D. Miles worked on this season. It also took me a while to realize that Paul Rust worked on season 4. I wonder just how much input either of them had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I'm guessing in the second half of the season (not really a spoiler but going to hide it just in case) going to involve a fake Spider-Man production just like the Fantastic 4 in season 4. Kitty mentions wanting to remake it, and even before that, in the first episode young George Michael's scuba suit looks suspiciously like Spider-Man's outfit.

• Locked thread