Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bateman's apology seemed fine to me, too.

The interview was a loving bad look for most people involved, but I don't think it's worth villifying everyone over. Promo interviews are probably stressful/awkward enough without having to answer questions about Tambor's recent accusations, and it just went south real drat fast.

I feel terrible for Jessica Walter, though. It was wrong of Bateman to keep talking over her like that and handwaving it as actors and acting being an atypical job, but I kind of feel like his heart was in the right place in trying to explain why poo poo like Tambor having a yelling fit happens on sets. He just ended up painting it in a very handwaving light and like it didn't matter it happened to Walter b/c it happens to all sorts of actors and actresses on set. He seems to have recognized this in his apology, and I'm fine with that.

David Cross we already know is an rear end in a top hat tho so gently caress him lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As to the interview being "awkward" or whatever, the correct response would have been for the others to remain neutral, offer statements saying they felt it was an issue between Walter and Tambor, and let them work it out, and say that they love and support them both. By all but telling Walter to shut the gently caress up, they basically made it quite clear that they were going to take Tambor's side no matter what, and that they didn't give two shits whether Walter (or Shawkat, the only other woman present) liked it or not. That's a bit different than them just offering awkward answers to a difficult question.

You're right, the correct response would have been to remain neutral, let Walter say her piece, and move on from the question entirely. But unfortunately they weren't blessed with the hindsight of how much of a mess this would end up being. Humans make mistakes, especially in stressful situations like a promo tour.

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong to be wary about the cast after that or to not forgive them for bungling the whole interview like that. But for me, personally, Bateman at least handled it very well afterward. His apology seemed sincere and his lack of making it a proper twitter thread made me think he may have actually written and posted it himself, rather than handing it off to his PR dude. It seemed sincere and in general he seems like a nice dude. I'm fine believing he just made a hugely dumb mistake in how he handled the question in the moment.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also, it's hard to nail a friend to the wall, even if you know they've behaved badly on another set, or had a bad moment on the set/workplace you shared with them.

Talking over Walter was bad and dumb, but did anyone really expect the cast to start in about how much of a piece of poo poo Tambor is, a man they've called friend and worked with for so many years now? It's tough to face bad deeds at times, especially when those bad deeds come in the form of someone you love and respect. Like, had Bateman et al not talked over Walter and given us this horribly awkward and bad situation, would we then be discussing how they're all horrible people for not crucifying Tambor during the interview?

Seemed to me like Tambor had apologized back when it happened. Walter seemed upset Tambor had even mentioned the incident in another interview because for all we know it was behind them, and his bringing it up elsewhere opened old wounds.

There's just too much we don't know. I'll take Bateman's apology and accept it and be fine with it, myself. Cross I'm less likely to forgive, we've heard too much of him being a dick in recent times anyway.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has there ever been a series that was canceled but then resurrected years later and was just as good as the initial season(s)?

Will & Grace.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

New Twin Peaks is amazing, but it's also a very diff beast from the original series.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, Twin Peaks The Return is like a landmark TV show for me, but it's not quite the same thing. Then again it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful without the original show, so I would say it counts.

Oh, for sure. I would have answered the intial question with Twin Peaks if not for it feeling so different. But it absolutely does not work without the original seasons and FWWM, so it counts in its own way.

But as for shows returning successfully with more or less the same tone/formula I'd pick Will & Grace over it. Gilmore Girls was also good imo for that kind of return.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

axeil posted:

Maebe can get a spin-off show where she scams people with George Michael as a do-gooder who wants to help his cousin and ends up an unwitting accomplice. I'd watch that.

clown shoes posted:

Any Maeby spinoff should be called Maeby Fünke. Les Cousins Dangereux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still giggle when I think of Lucille bitching Trump stole her wall idea while praising making them pay for it.

• Locked thread