Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, I don't remember noticing it when S4 first came out but Ron Howard is kind of... sucky in the remix? Did they re-record/change a lot of his lines? It sounds like he's struggling to remember the inflections he used to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

clown shoes posted:

Yeah it did. I remember seeing a lot of confused comments online from people who didn't get the joke. Some even thought the watermark was seriously from pirated software.

Yeah that was definitely the most confusing thing about season 4.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I haven't seen 3 in years but I always thought it was pretty poor compared to the first two seasons.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Huh, they left in the "Buster... No, Gob" *Suddenly ostrich* "It was Lindsay" gag. Seems a bit pointless.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah I hate the ANUSTART joke and thought it was trying too hard

I thought the fact that it was his licence plate was a great gag, but half the cast repeating it 87 times per episode wore thin.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's one of the more impressive examples of people refusing to get the point. It's especially bizarre in that Tambor barely even tries to defend himself - he just lets his cohort do it for him.

I expect I'll still watch the season but lol this'll definitely be the last.

Steve2911 fucked around with this message at May 24, 2018 around 07:05

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Idk as far as celebrity apologies goes that's a million times better than most. He actually admits fault.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hmm. I don't think Hurwitz and most of the cast would carry on if Tambor left. Even though his role feels less and less relevant each season.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

South Park had always been a stinkyhole show made by cunts for cunts.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even ignoring all of the underlying homophobia, transphobia and able-ism in the show, it's weird how they pick certain characters to act as punching bags - almost always women. Just in season 4 Ann and DeBrie come across as particularly mean spirited.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

First episode's a slow burn but pretty good.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

T.C. posted:

Man there's a lot of exposition and narration in the first couple. Hopefully it loosens up

Even with that I'm now super glad I watched the remix straight before this.

I'm starting to get the feeling this seasons going to be spent filling in the last five years again.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just love the aging process we see George Michael go through mid-scene.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Using actual Trump footage and referring to him directly feels very... Not Arrested Development.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also, the season has a massive continuity error with Maeby's arrest. They just dropped that, right?

Yeah that confused me... Why didn't they just cut that 10 second scene from the remix if they were going to ignore it?

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

David Cross is absolutely terrible in this season.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's bizarre that they put Lindsay at the centre of the plot when they couldn't actually use her. It's like they had to rework most of the season once they realised she was retiring and it kind of just means there's no plot.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus, they actually got Ron Howard's dad to do a scene what must have been weeks before his death.

What a weird episode.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Season 4 ended in 2013, two months pass and it's now 2015.

¿¿¿¿????

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This show sucks now.

Season 5 is Boondocks Season 4 levels of bad.

Season 6 will basically be zombie Simpsons at this rate.

George Micheal and Maeby are the only two good people left. And even then so, Maeby's increasing fladerization is getting tiring (though to be fair this has been a thing since Season 3).

I still like GOB. It's just a shame that Will Arnett seems so tired.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought some of the original S4 benefited from longer episodes, since they were focused on a single character's journey. The stories are as long as they need to be. No episode of S5 needed to be longer than 22 minutes though, especially since most episodes don't have any self contained plot lines or jokes. They just meander.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PostNouveau posted:

The new seasons really don't feel like AD though. I think A LOT of it comes from not being able to get the cast together. The formula often involved Lucille or George setting off their kids plotting against each other. I think when someone doesn't get a ton of screen time or spends all their screen time with outside players, it indicates a scheduling issue. How many episodes in these seasons had Lucille talking to her kids?

I would say that season 4 didn't feel like AD, but only through the limitations they had to work with. But the creators still knew what made AD good and tried to find a creative way to achieve that with what little they had to work with (YMMV on whether or not they succeeded). Season 5 just feels like they've forgotten what made the show work in the first place.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eh I thought Bateman's apology was fine. Cross can suck one though. Arnett didn't do anything wrong.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has there ever been a series that was canceled but then resurrected years later and was just as good as the initial season(s)?
I've only heard good things about the new Twin Peaks (which I haven't seen yet, but the original run was only 50% good anyway).

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey have we talked about how bad that whole old-timey silent film bit in 508 is yet? gently caress itís so bad

gently caress I forgot about that. Why did they do that?

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Does Futurama count?

Good god no. I think maybe one or two of the movies were passable but after that it got real bad real fast.

Reviving a show by making four sequel movies in quick succession without even waiting to see if anyone watches them was a bold move though.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That has to be a tiny minority of people. Unless you hate literally everything on Netflix except 1-2 shows there's enough new stuff each month to justify staying subscribed.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PostNouveau posted:

It's set in 2015 right?

Yes, two months after 4th May 2012.

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nichael posted:

She was mad Donny took her wall idea, but admired his new spin on it of "making Mexico pay for it".

Again, that was funny but it required making two months turn into three years.

It also ruins the entire conceit of the series. It's the equivalent of George Sr looking into the camera and declaring 'You know, like Bush!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve2911
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm so glad they creatively compromised with S4 instead of taking the easy route.

• Locked thread