Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This show has never been very "woke" and by today's standards it is pretty horribly offensive to many. I would imagine even more so to someone who watches for the first time who was a kid in 2003 but an adult now. A lot of the people who latched onto it as smart, funny tv in the past 15 years have changed a lot and their attitudes towards what they find acceptable in entertainment has changed. The show lost a lot of viewers just for keeping Tambor after what happened with Transparent, the interview only exacerbated it, and I imagine many more will reject it now as well as reevaluate the early seasons as being problematic.

I can't see it garnering many new viewers among younger people, so the question will be who will remain that was a fan who will stay on for the ride? I think with all the negative press, and probably some outright appeals to boycott, there won't be a Season 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Netflix has canceled all further press and promotional interviews for Season 5.

I'd say it's DOA now. They won't promote it, but it's already made and ratings aren't a concern so they might as well have it available to consume. But they won't count on it to bring in more subscribers.

It won't matter much anyway, since it's being released at he same time as Kimmy Schmidt so they're just as much like to gain and retain subs for that with smart comedy fans.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

3 episodes in, it's ok but a lot of it feels like S4: Part II.

clown shoes posted:

Will Arnett looks terrible. Like he might have a drinking problem or something.

The ones that stood out for me after so many years off was Jessica Walter and Jeffrey Tambor. They are the oldest in the cast, but in S4 they seemed like they were getting frail, which is why it surprised me when they announced a S5 at all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

deoju posted:

I made some things in preparation for today.

More pics here if you are interested.

The last picture did not disappoint! :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

The rapist/murderer island gag is funny because it's not attacking or laughing at real victims, its an imaginary island full of rape and murderers who don't exist.

As someone who has been a victim of both rape and murder, I found the entire joke incredibly unsettling.

zandert33 posted:

Lindsay isn't related to Michael or Gob. It's still gross, but it's not incest. Maebe's not related to George Michael either.

"She was made in a cup. Like soup."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nichael posted:

They've always done that though except for the few scenes where they play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYq1w6N45Rc

https://youtu.be/UQHEfa1amv8

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Part of me wonders if AD might not be a victim of it's own success: when it came out it was a new level of smarter comedy on tv, there was nothing like it. In the past 15 years more shows emulate it, and even drama tv has become smarter and more serial. Even if AD didn't actually get worse it could seem quaint by comparison.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has there ever been a series that was canceled but then resurrected years later and was just as good as the initial season(s)?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Phenotype posted:

The subject is "shows that were revived and were as good or better than before their cancellation" though, and original Futurama was definitely better than the new seasons. I will definitely grant you the fact that there were a good handful of new eps that were pretty amazing and could hang with the best of the original series, though.

Does The Expanse count? They won't have any missing years, but they were definitely cancelled and picked up by Amazon. It's too early to call it for the Amazon seasons anyway, though.

Well in that case you can count Longmire, but there's not really any extended hiatus in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

wrong thread.

STEVE HOLT!

• Locked thread