Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still don't get the joke about calling Google "Something."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Firstly, there's no way you have to get Google's permission to mention googling something on TV, but even if you're right, why not make up a search engine instead of calling it a Something search? What an odd way of dealing with it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I guess I did get it, and it just didn't land for me so I assumed it was over my head. Not an unfair assumption with this show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Chairman Capone posted:

So on the latest episode of the podcast How Did This Get Made, one of the advertisements was for a Never-Nude mockumentary starring Tobias that will be coming out May 29.
Can this not be a thing? Can this not have happened? I never liked the nevernude joke because at is core, the real crux of the jokes are "aren't marginalized people without public support the worst?" "Aren't mental illnesses wacky?"

Like, straight-up, let's talk about this like never-nudes aren't really a thing, though they are. The entire joke is predicated on disability being funny if it's uncommon and doesn't make sense to the average person.

It's not a good joke.

Anything that's "LOL because people are different from the rest of us" is a lazy-rear end joke.

I love Arrested Development, but it punches down sometimes. You can absolutely joke about anything, but how you do it matters. The punchline of George Sr.'s involuntary transition is, at its core, "isn't it funny that some dudes think they're women? Aren't hormones weird?" There's nothing deeper there. It isn't an exploration of something worth exploring. It's just "haha man becomes woman. Ridiculous."

And the nevernude thing isn't as bad as that, but what makes it funny? What's the joke? The joke is "aren't people with disorders I don't understand hilarious?"

Like Seinfeld with Tim Watley, I'm less offended as a nonbinary person with mental illness than I am as a comedian. It's cheap. It's poo poo. It doesn't do any work. There's no there there. It doesn't deconstruct anything. It just points at difference and laughs.

Again, I still love this show, but not everything it does is perfect.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

it wasn't like, particularly funny or anything but i didn't see it as overly mean-spirited, especially compared to 'maeby tricks steve holt(!) into thinking her mom is trans'
Mean-spirited isn't a thing, for the most part. Intent isn't magic, is my position on this. My mom thinks racism was solved in the 60s when we changed some laws. That doesn't make it so. poo poo can be hosed up even if you don't mean it to be. You don't have to have hate in your heart to perpetuate hatred.

clown shoes posted:

They explicitly state that maca root reduces testosterone and increases estrogen, which explains George's behavior.
Firstly, no they don't. They cut this out of the re-do of season four. Secondly, and this is more complicated, you are not your hormones. Men put on estrogen do not become trans women, as was the joke here. Women put on testosterone do not become men. You aren't your hormones. Your gender isn't your hormones.

And the show gets all that wrong. George Sr., a cishet man, is given estrogen through a plant. (The soyboy conundrum.) This isn't a thing.There is no plant that will make you a woman. There are hormones that will help you present outwardly as the woman that you already are, but nothing can make you a woman. That isn't how gender works. And again, my problem isn't just with the joke's science being entirely without basis, it's that the joke, at its core, is "HAHAHAHA TRANS PEOPLE. WHAT IF THE MANLY MAN ATE A THING AND BECAME A WOMAN?! HAHAHAHAHA!" And that's not actually a joke. They're no craft to it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nichael posted:

I do agree completely that George Sr.'s plot was mostly very bad. I honestly just liked Mary Lynn Rajskub and John Slattery in it.
I loved them too. They were great.

Brother Entropy posted:

i just don't really see any hatred in the george sr plot, intentional or not. it's confused and aimless and not really that funny but there's nothing even on the level of the 'shemale' shirt
You don't need to have hate in your heart to do something bad. Intent isn't magic. You can cause damage without meaning to. But, yeah. It wasn't Shemale' levels of bad either.

clown shoes posted:

It was in the original. Still canon even if they cut it out of the remix.
I guess. Fine.

I just... what's the joke? Where was the joke? What was funny about it aside from "lol trans people."

There's the bones of one, where he and Oscar switch places, but it's predicated on Oscar, the nice guy who's always getting screwed by his aggressive brother, becoming more like his brother by stopping taking estrogen and his brother starting it.

So basically, "women are weak and powerless and too sensitive, and men are effective and powerful" as plays out with George becoming suddenly very sensitive about his appearance, which again plays into the women only matter if they're pretty trope, so it just landed with a dull-rear end thud. There's no deconstruction there. Nothing's being examined.

Edit: What's doubly weird is that the big reveal of the season 3 finale is that George was revealed to be the puppet behind Lucile's mastermind. This show demonstrably didn't toy in that arena before.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think I like the remix more than the original season 4, but it's definitely not perfect and I can see where people are coming from when they say they like the original more.
I'm sorry. I'm gonna' need you to take a hard-line stance and say anybody who doesn't take the same one is a loving idiot because the whiplash of somebody being nuanced on the internet is just too much.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The sex offender thing was a classic example of one of my least favorite television tropes, where if anybody actually explained what was really going on, the plot couldn't happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's after midnight on the East Coast. Where's the show about the terrible people played by mostly terrible people?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nichael posted:

Netflix and Hulu shows typically upload at 3 AM EST, midnight Pacific.
Balls.

Edit: COME ON!

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The shot/reverse shot foreground characters' lips not matching their dialog has been a thing since season 1, but that doesn't make it any less jarring.

• Locked thread