Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I enjoyed the first attempt, but my wife who loved the series couldn’t get into the fourth season. This remix has completely fixed this, although the Michael going to college with his son is still painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

LividLiquid posted:

I loved them too. They were great.

You don't need to have hate in your heart to do something bad. Intent isn't magic. You can cause damage without meaning to. But, yeah. It wasn't Shemale' levels of bad either.

I guess. Fine.

I just... what's the joke? Where was the joke? What was funny about it aside from "lol trans people."

There's the bones of one, where he and Oscar switch places, but it's predicated on Oscar, the nice guy who's always getting screwed by his aggressive brother, becoming more like his brother by stopping taking estrogen and his brother starting it.

So basically, "women are weak and powerless and too sensitive, and men are effective and powerful" as plays out with George becoming suddenly very sensitive about his appearance, which again plays into the women only matter if they're pretty trope, so it just landed with a dull-rear end thud. There's no deconstruction there. Nothing's being examined.

Edit: What's doubly weird is that the big reveal of the season 3 finale is that George was revealed to be the puppet behind Lucile's mastermind. This show demonstrably didn't toy in that arena before.

The joke felt more targeted at men getting older and losing their edge as their testosterone lowers. I didn’t see the trans thing (although I understand how you did) because no female characters are portrayed that way in the show.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

In general, Season 4 feels a lot more mean-spirited/cruel to me than Seasons 1 - 3 ever did, though I don't know if I could articulate anything concrete as to why I feel that way.

I think Michael came off like a good guy in the earlier seasons. In the 4th season, he was almost as our there as the rest of the family.

• Locked thread