Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I'm a huge fan of the original edit of season 4, I really liked how everything came together as you watched and realized you were seeing the same scenes. I feel like the new edit did lose some of the really hilarious reveals that this approach allowed them to do (for instance the Tobias and Lindsay on the same vacation joke) however the overall flow of the season is much better with the new remix and it flows much much better alongside seasons 1-3. I haven't watched the whole remix yet but that's my initial impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Having finished the remix I also prefer the original cut. While the original cut had some of the lowest lows of the show of all time, it also had some of the highest highs and the greatest long term joke payoffs and that gets completely watered down and sometimes just straight ruined in this cut. It's the safer version, but the less interesting one. I also really liked the focus on individual characters and how they were growing as people separate from the family and that whole sense isn't there with the recut.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I've watched the first 5 episodes so far, and while I'll chuckle every so often most of the jokes aren't landing and watching this is kind of frustrating. I am also very tired of pretty much every episode having EVERYTHING narrated by Ron Howard... His narration was perfect when he was just there to interject random statements but when he's basically just talking during the entire episode and telling us what we are seeing instead of just letting scenes play out... I keep getting frustrated and I want to yell at the screen "loving SHOW US DON'T TELL US GODDAMN."

It's like they don't trust the audience to get any of the jokes unless they are explained repeatedly. I actually really liked the original cut of season 4 because there were a ton of jokes that only came together much later and possibly on rewatch. The fateful consequences remix I wound up giving up on because I feel like they decided no one was getting those jokes so they just had Ron Howard explain them all. Season 5 seems to have doubled down on this poo poo.

• Locked thread