Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So this was originally meant to be a contribution to this other thread that looked like it was drowning in tedious meta-talk (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856278) but I guess I was too late and it was already gassed by the time I hit "Post".

But when life hands you lemons make lemonade I say, so instead of scrapping my post I'm repurposing it into a thread about overly uptight and obnoxious fandom/geeks who complain about everything. Maybe that's a good idea for a thread or maybe a bad one, I dunno, feel free to either make sincere contributions or just make pithy comments, but I hate doing work for nothing so here's the post I made:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, remember Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country from 1991, the well-received sci-fi franchise hit that by most accounts gave a fitting farewell to a cast of a classic TV show and movies series and marked a return to form from the infamously cheesy previous entry?

I'm sure the devoted Star Trek fans on noted sci-fi web magazine Tor.com recall it fond---

Tor posted:

This movie utterly destroys the characters of Kirk and Spock for plot expediency, and while it’s the most revolting crime committed by this misbegotten disaster of a movie, it’s far from the only one.

Oh.

Tor posted:

The hallmark of Star Trek when it debuted in 1966 was that it showed a united Earth, that we had put aside our differences, so that the bridge can have Russians, Asians, Africans, Europeans, and Americans all working together without it remotely being an issue. So for the show to celebrate its 25th anniversary by portraying the good guys as unrepentant racists is an insult to what made the show so important and groundbreaking in the first place.

This one has it all, folks:

• Complaining about canon in incredibly dramatic fashion.
  • Insecurely insists a work must meet writer's own specific moral standards.
  • Of the above two points, it's pretty evident the writer is mostly doing the former and masquerading it as the latter.
  • Proudly missing the forest for the trees (How dare this movie about racism feature characters who are racist!)
  • An apparent misunderstanding of character development in general
  • So blindly devoted to an original work that the writer mistakes a follow-up's criticism/commentary of it (i.e. "Hey, maybe the original TV show presenting the Klingons as a perpetual 'bad race' is counter-productively racist in itself, maybe we can address and resolve this in a story of its own!") as simply 'getting it wrong'

• And to top it all off, just getting basic but crucial facts wrong:

Tor posted:

Some of them stay unrepentant, too! At the end, Uhura says that she feels the same as Valeris, even after everything is over, which is yet another notch on the character assassination belt, as Uhura has just sympathized with someone who murdered two of their crewmates in cold blood.

She spoke in the past tense. She had sympathized with the villains, but then realized her error after the events of the movie. You know, character development.

https://www.tor.com/2017/06/20/star-trek-the-original-series-rewatch-star-trek-vi-the-undiscovered-country/

(Ctrl+F section title "To boldly go" to skip past all the basic synopsis and factoids and get straight to the commentary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lizardman posted:

I was too late and it was already gassed by the time I hit "Post".

Next time we need to try the electric chair then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this thread should be fine so i got rid of the gassed bit of the thread title

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Star Trek VI is great, you morons

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, if only the mods had gassed that thread a minute later this godawful op would be trapped there for all time, like the glass prisons from superman 2

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If that's the one where they go to the past and Tommy gun borgs, it's pretty sweet. Especially cuz they show that human rocket guy as a giant rear end in a top hat, they don't try to perpetuate the myth of Great Men and Women.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

this thread should be fine so i got rid of the gassed bit of the thread title

Hey thanks :)

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

drat, if only the mods had gassed that thread a minute later this godawful op would be trapped there for all time, like the glass prisons from superman 2

I watched Superman II also so I know how to escape that poo poo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

*holds up mirror to OP*

Here you go heh heh heh

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

*holds up mirror to OP*

Here you go heh heh heh

:riker:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

*holds up mirror to OP*

Here you go heh heh heh

Sir this is a turned-off-monitor drive-thru

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

*holds up mirror to OP*

Here you go heh heh heh

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The undiscovered country is a fantastic movie and those nerds should be slapped for being wrong and dumb.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

fuckin lol

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

what the gently caress

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I really hope the mods renamed him "KEVIN'S AUTISTIC SON" after that

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

dang

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Gotta see that dude's profile I hope it's got some great red text

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I think pitting two autists against eachother should be considered bloodsport and outlawed (along with a certain hedgehog).

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

lol

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

And the fact every single other person seems too greedy or stupid to properly develop a cinematic universe, which is why the concept has become a crime against cinema with the exception of the MCU. It's not that it can't work in other franchises, but nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing with it, picking stupid as hell topics ("Dark Universe" haha) or going completely off their loving nut (Star Wars).

I hate to sound like all those people rattling on about how Kennedy turned Star Wars into some bizarre political statement in which we should all learn to shut up and follow the crazy lady with no plan but after seeing a few interviews with her.. yeah, it was super intentional and she thinks she's being a super progressive feminist with characters like Holdo and is letting the director of the last poo poo show helm an entire trilogy for despite the fact he's gone off the rails on fire because he's complied with this.

Meanwhile over at Marvel they did both the subversion of expectation better (and in a way that didn't piss most people off) and frankly has way, way better examples of female characters across the board, because you know, they've all proven themselves really competent and/or powerful and people listen to them because they tend to actually make sense and have actually earned their place. Like by showing them as flawed but ultimately good people they're way, way better at presenting equality than the Star Wars plan which seems to be "Either perfect at everything immediately, so emotional you'll let like 100 people blow up by suicide ramming someone for 'love,' or 'gently caress all of you I'm in charge and I'm not telling you poo poo, I'm in charge. Respect my authori-ty!' poo poo, I think the B-Tier villains like Nebula are better written female characters than any of the Star Wars leads.

I don't know how Disney hasn't stepped in, or how they blew the Cinematic Universe formula so badly given they own both of them. Then to top off, there's not been a single Star Wars spin-off anyone has wanted slated. Nobody wanted Solo from literally the day it was announced, for example. Rogue One could have been interesting but it ultimately ended up lame. There's lots of people saying "Star Wars is such a limited universe, you can only redo the same thing." You have the dumb as gently caress Rebel/Empire thing going on again that doesn't make any sense (why the gently caress are they a resistance/rebellion from the start!?) just to conform to that.

Would anyone have complained if, like, they just made a completely unrelated smuggler movie in the universe? Or a spy movie? Or anything? Marvel changes tones a ton each film but Goddamn Star Wars is one-note as gently caress. I just don't know how they're wrecking one cinematic universe IP so bad while handling another so successfully. Is Fiege just one of the only competent people in Hollywood or what?

Like I'm no multi-million dollar paid producer but if I were laying out a Star Was cinematic universe I'd probably done "Big revival movie - Character movie showing life in the universe from a smuggler POV - Some universe fleshing movie that deals with threats on the horizon that have never been seen before - an empire First Order movie where one of them quits and ultimately swaps sides (Basically a Finn movie instead of being in the revival movie) - Then the sequel which uses characters from them all. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

ED: I also have to say I think it's worth pointing out that I generally have an idea where the Marvel MCU is at any point in time and have absolutely no idea whatsoever what is going on in the Star Wars universe at this point, nothing makes any loving sense anymore. In their desire to do "simple back to basics, empire vs rebels" that is at odds with everything around it and it just makes no.. loving.. sense.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The thing is, those things can always be there without rehashing the same formula. It's space, it's got blasters, it's got monsters, it's got unlimited potential that's untapped frankly. Nobody's thinking of it open enough.

I mean if they did a whole First Order movie explaining who they were, what they were about, etc. that ultimately ended with a Stormtrooper swapping sides to help the rebels and then joining the crew it'd have a whole different temp and feel while STILL being full blooded Star Wars. Instead it got jammed into 10 minutes of a movie.

Now I'm not bitching about 'I had a cool idea for a movie and they blew past it.' I'm bitching because those sorts of movies do WORLD BUILDING, being very different while still in the same universe. Even if you hate it, they've been world building Marvel for a decade. Star Wars came back with ZERO world building, changing things just enough not make sense (the size/strength/motivation of any faction) while trying to live off of nostalgia for the old. There's a million films you could do, like a film about - gasp - some regular smugglers that aren't related to any famous IP characters, just trying to dodge the First Order. You know, expanding on our understanding of the world and showing the greater picture while still in a smaller focus.

Thing is, the old movies were simple and simple is fine. We knew the Empire took over and ruled everything. We knew the rebels were outnumbered but trying to overthrow them. Boom. We got it. I have no loving idea what's going on with the galaxy in the current series. None. Everything changes size/power level/motivation too many times and on top of all of that right from the start the legitimate government was apparently a resistance. People have tried to explain this stuff by "original ideas" or extra crap but it doesn't make sense.

A simple good empire vs scrappy rebels shouldn't be that confusing. It doesn't need to be deep. Marvel gets that; it's not trying to be deep. But you know what is going on. That's pretty loving key to any kind of EU. One of the big reasons excitement I think is really going to take a pounding in the last Star Wars movies is nobody has any real idea of the stakes. I have expect them to come back and say the rebels have regrown to number in the thousands and the First Order is on the ropes.

all from the same thread.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I couldn't read the entire op, please can I get a brief version?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

people have opinions on things

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Hell Yeah posted:

:drat: Shots fired!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

"How dare this movie about racism feature characters who are racist!" says a blogger with a rod shoved up their bum.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

insanely lmao

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

thread delivers

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Bideo james

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I saw it in the theater. :smuggo:

Spoiler alert it’s a good movie!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Hell Yeah posted:

:chloe:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Holy poo poo

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Let's post uptight geeks... like geeks who obsess over Star Trek movie reviews they don't like.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ Look, you got twice the bang for the buck in the OP, don't complain about poo poo.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I liked the new Star Wars and when THAT BIG SCENE happens and everything goes silent for a second this dude behind me kind of mumbled "that's dope as poo poo" but he was unintentionally loud enough for most of the theater to hear and a bunch of people laughed.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Well it ended up in the hands of an autistic child either way.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pawn 17 posted:

Well it ended up in the hands of an autistic child either way.

It's like needful things.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

just yesterday i edited a post about black people dying from preventable diseases to people dyng from preventable diseases and someone made it about black lives matter

this was in the ebola thread

lol

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
If your not passionate enough about your media to racial slur or send death threats you arent a fan and need to get the heck out

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I came here hoping to see some pictures of cute gamer girls in conservative attire

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

No way this is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Savage For The Winjun posted:

I came here hoping to see some pictures of cute gamer girls in conservative attire

there's still time to save this thread

• Locked thread