Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
eliminate qwop lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
taste, eliminate either black and white or jezzball.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

clearly you want us to play black and white, so i will eliminate _____ jezzball_____

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

ok cool

CHANGE OF PLANS both duels are happening (flavor-wise, as i said) SIMULTANEOUSLY

this means that we are gonna play black and white on DISCORD ONLY

results of both duels will be posted when they are both resolved

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

But we can be pretty sure that Fisk is scum now. Town Fisk could have fired one gun, checked his result if he won, then fired the other with more information. Instead he's risking the Town game on the chance he's completely right and truthful. And despite thinking the guns might be sabotaged he fired first at the person who gave them to him - a person he could only shoot at if the guns were not sabotaged.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

Ulysses is no longer a solvent township. What was once a thriving borough in the heart of West Hutchinson's frontier is now quiet, desolate, and thoroughly junked. The salt mines are abandoned. Windows are broken in every building. Looting started off quiet, got louder, and then quiet again when mos valuables had either been thieved or left with their owners. Where were the federals to prevent this tragedy? Sure, rough folks out in the West like big talk about how they don't need the government getting in their affairs, but when an entire town falls to complete anarchy in such a short amount of time, something clearly needs to be done.

A couple of yells are heard, seem to be challenges. Geb and Virgil turn their heads. Seth has his hands above either holster, ready to go. After so much dishonor, why now? Why an honest challenge?

No matter. Both gentlemen do the same with their own revolvers, ready to match. He can't possibly kill them both. Hell, could he kill either of them?

The few seconds before the duel expend slower than an eternity. You feel every single moment, even the ones in between. Adrenaline courses through parts of you you didn't even know existed. A lifetime of anxiety, experienced in a few seconds, knowing that either way the duel goes, it'll be nothing but relief. Either you didn't die or you did. At least the tension is gone.

Time's up. All the men reach for their pistols. Shots. Grunts. Screams, even. Two men fall to the ground. One remains.

Seth blows the smoke off each Colt .45 and spins them back into each holster. He lights a cigar and walks slowly back towards the saloon, where he pours himself a drink. Wayne comes in a few minutes later, patting him on the shoulder. There's a few loose ends, but they have what they came for. Was it worth all of this? No, not at all. But they didn't even start the drat thing. They were just glad the two of them could get out alive.

Hiking out of Ulysses with their gains, they overlook the bluffs towards the north, wondering what their next lives will bring them.

:rip: IcePhoenix, Gebhard Hermann, Gun Store Owner (town-aligned 2-shot cursed inventor), was brutally shot to death in a duel D5. :rip:
:rip: b-minus, Virgil Gyles, Rancher (town-aligned mason), was brutally shot to death in a duel D5. :rip:

Jedit, Alonzo Chipman, Handyman (town-aligned JOAT miller), has been endgamed!
SalTheBard, Margaret Dennison, Waitress (town-aligned mason), has been endgamed!

In a stunning turn of events,

CCKeane, Wayne Cathcart, Thug (scum-aligned ninja roleblocker), and
Jonathan Fisk (Taste), Seth Dennison, Barkeep (scum-aligned godfather) have won the game for scum!

I will be posting duel results/game thoughts soon.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Black & White Results:

pre:
Round        1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
Taste        6     1     7     0     4     5     3     8     2
b-minus      6     2     3     5     1     7     0     4     8
Winner       Tie   b-    Taste b-    Taste b-    Taste Taste b-
Tie game, 4-4

pre:
Round        1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
Taste        4     5     1     6     0     2     3     7     8
b-minus      3     4     5     1     0     6     8     2     7
Winner       Taste Taste b-    Taste Tie   b-    b-    Taste Taste
Taste wins, 5-3

Logic Grid Puzzle time results:
IceP: 30:40
Taste: 19:27

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BottleKnight posted:

In a stunning turn of events,

CCKeane, Wayne Cathcart, Thug (scum-aligned ninja roleblocker), and
Jonathan Fisk (Taste), Seth Dennison, Barkeep (scum-aligned godfather) have won the game for scum!

yes this is truly a stunning development :rolleyes:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Great work Taste!

Good game everybody. Tight one.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Game doc (Role PMs and such) - this doc is messy as hell and also i think i changed some stuff on the fly as i copypasted role pms into the SA PMs so if you see an error just know you are almost certainly right.

Moddoc

Post-game thoughts

-Some of my favorite mechanics that I put in this game, such as the vengeful spouse and the town having a chance to duel scum to death, never happened. This is due to a chaotic confluence of factors that aren't really anybody's fault imo but I think still came out really fun!

-The duel mechanic is definitely an interesting one but if/when I do it again it's going to have a rework in how the dueling method is selected to be a bit more... fair? or at least interesting. Scum getting 2 guns and ending the game in mario party is definitely an edge case that I don't think is going to happen very often but hey ya know.

-I think a glass half-empty interpretation of D5 is that none of it mattered, but I think a better interpretation of it is that town was going to execute scum so scum made a slightly statistically better decision that was still statistically a bad decision. Winning 2 duels is not gonna pan out like this the majority of the time. Admittedly I understand the frustration of it happening at the end of a dayphase when you were probably about to execute scum versus, saying, an inventor giving scum a nightvig that mysteriously flips a townie (but ultimately leads to the same thing) but I still liked how the mechanics worked as a last resort.

-I think this game is a pretty good example of night actions fooling with reads. Early, well placed town night actions meant scum thought they were completely boned on N2/D3 but were able to rebound pretty significantly later on due to a lot of WIFOM. Most of my games have vanilla roles for precisely this reason, because I like night action WIFOM and I think it encourages players to trust their reads more, but sometimes that doesn't happen and hey what are you gonna do. I don't think I would've done much better as a member of the town in this game.

-Gebhard Hermann is not my ancestor, but I wish he was.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I had a lot of fun, good game BK.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

thanks 2 all especially bk

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I cannot loving believe this town.

JFC

How could keane not be the lynch after claiming an investigation on the miller incorrectly AND Yami flipping town cop.

We deserved to lose.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Oh, I would like to know whether Margaret and Seth would've made up and she would've come with him and Wayne or if Margaret was left behind in Ulysses. It's all part of my West Hutchinson Cinematic Universe.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

I cannot loving believe this town.

JFC

How could keane not be the lynch after claiming an investigation on the miller incorrectly AND Yami flipping town cop.

We deserved to lose.

I'm very charming.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

I'm very charming.

Apparently.

I just am completely bewildered how anyone was hesitant about you being scum. ESPECIALLY Jedit.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
This was a fun game , but BK , allowing taste to use both duels on the same day was broken.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Keane was Mr. Inquisitive in this game.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

This was a fun game , but BK , allowing taste to use both duels on the same day was broken.

I agree that in a vacuum it was probably unfair to town, but simultaneously I'm a mod who really enjoys flavor and the idea of things happening that would happen irl (which is why I run into pitfalls like giving some scum the same last name, which was unfair to scum imo). Taste dueling 2 individuals at the same time when he had 2 guns made sense to me since he had 2 hands, obviously he couldn't do 3 at a time though that would be ridiculous.

This is not me trying to be all ecco-like and say "my games are performance art" or whatever, just saying I love the roleplaying aspect that the mechanics enabled there as a last resort. If taste would've lost either duel, town would've won 100%.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I loving knew it. Fisk and Keane

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Keane was Mr. Inquisitive in this game.

Don't sell yourself short mags

Mr. F! posted:

Keane, tell me what you think of chores and Fisk.

Fisk tell me what you think of chores and keane.

Chores, tell me what you think of Fisk and Keane.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CapitalistPig posted:

Apparently.

I just am completely bewildered how anyone was hesitant about you being scum. ESPECIALLY Jedit.

Keane never left my mind. I kept getting distracted by who the other scum were, and there was never a good time for me personally to push him hard. Remember, I got to -1 on the sole basis of "Hmm, Jedit has said the counterclaiming Cop is lying. We'd better lynch Jedit to test the theory". This is loving stupid play and in addition to it happening here almost exactly the same thing happened to me in another game I was playing elsewhere at the same time.

I agree that two duels in a day is broken. I've honestly never felt so cheated out of a sure victory. Scum shouldn't be enjoying it either, because they won through pure dumb luck on N1 (and nearly lost it through dumb luck on N2, but hey).

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Jedit posted:

Keane never left my mind. I kept getting distracted by who the other scum were, and there was never a good time for me personally to push him hard. Remember, I got to -1 on the sole basis of "Hmm, Jedit has said the counterclaiming Cop is lying. We'd better lynch Jedit to test the theory". This is loving stupid play and in addition to it happening here almost exactly the same thing happened to me in another game I was playing elsewhere at the same time.

I agree that two duels in a day is broken. I've honestly never felt so cheated out of a sure victory. Scum shouldn't be enjoying it either, because they won through pure dumb luck on N1 (and nearly lost it through dumb luck on N2, but hey).

Yeah but really if you'd be lynched everyone would know you were telling the truth and then keane is gone the next day. I would've hammered myself if it got keane lynched and I knew he was scum.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I think you are forgetting my secret weapon, CPig: My captivating smile.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I swear to God next unconfirmed masonry I'm in where I'm town I'm voting out my partner asap. gently caress unconfirmed masonries.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
It's ok though Keane and taste were working really hard to stay afloat after that and they basically ran all over you guys.

They won by putting in effort. The two duels wouldn't have mattered if they hadn't been allowed to run things.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Thanks for the game beek, I had fun. Well played scummos.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Yami Fenrir posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, here’s half or more of the scum team. You’re welcome, by the way. Is it really so goddamn hard to believe an effortposting newbie over lovely quality “cases” like the above players posted?

Think for yourself, please. Don’t just let the thread do it for you – scum is always trying to influence your opinion. Again, I implore you – read the content by the above posters, with the context that I have copped Slamburger as scum, in mind.

If you don’t think their behavior is not only scummy, but eerily coordinated, I don’t know what to tell you.

I think there may be a fourth scum, but I am less certain about who it might be if there is. I still do not think it’s Sal right now.

Now, we might as well start by lynching the copped scum.

##unvote
##vote Slamburger

Again, I fully expect to die this night. I think my chances of surviving will be higher (in case there is some sort of protective role still alive, but I doubt it) if I claim. Not that my survival will matter, as even if I survive I will likely be roleblocked into the dirt. I want this info out. Lynch Slamburger and Keane. Fisk may just be a fool, but he's incredibly suspect in my mind as well. Chores suddenly pushing against me is suspect as well, but as his arguments with Sal has proven his content is pretty much worthless anyway.

:smugbert:

... except for the part where nobody believed me enough, until I didn't believe it myself anymore.

:negative:

Just saying, kinda feeling a little bit like Cassandra over here.

Oh well, good game.

I don't think the way guns worked was great (It would have worked much better if it was a duelist role instead of giving scum MORE kills, imo), honestly. But eh, hindsight.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

CapitalistPig posted:

That was my biggest(or tbh only) issue with what was overall a really fun game.

:negative: :negative: :negative:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Giving the scum team more killing power is already pretty unbalancing. (It was not intentional in this case, but a possibility)

Allowing them to use at the same time is pretty silly, I agree. I haven't seen a day power work that way before, anyway. Probably for a good reason.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

I loving knew it. Fisk and Keane

Would have been cool if you helped then

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
I’m almost certain the town would have won if Fisk was only able to use one duel per day.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Two scumslips and a scum investigation and we still lost lmao

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

(It would have worked much better if it was a duelist role instead of giving scum MORE kills, imo)

I liked the idea of an inventor in this game because I find town vigs super boring. And I think "there is drat near a 50% chance I'll die" is a fair price to pay for a kill.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the idea that you should only be able to use one duel per day is mad arbitrary

two at once i can understand, but even then i could have just stacked before you lynched. And I hawked the thread, so that wouldn't have been difficult

town wasn't bad, but scum tried hard as well. Don't sour grapes because you lost through items you could easilly have used yourself

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

and further it's not lke stacknig vigs, to get this rsult i had to win two fair challenges in succession

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

the idea that you should only be able to use one duel per day is mad arbitrary

two at once i can understand, but even then i could have just stacked before you lynched. And I hawked the thread, so that wouldn't have been difficult

town wasn't bad, but scum tried hard as well. Don't sour grapes because you lost through items you could easilly have used yourself

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Nah.

It's stupid.

It's a potential massive swing. If it were some other item I'd agree that a use limit is unnecessary, but kills are a big swing in favor of either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

sure. Some people think ketchup on a well-done steak is the only way to go, and that's their right

• Locked thread