Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

gently caress yeah, already hit it, and I already bought it. Go Trese dorks, go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, they hit the goal in like 11 hours and right now they are at U$ 28k more than they had at the end of the Star Traders: Frontiers KS, with 27 days to go. It's a clear sign that they have managed to build a loyal audience these last few years and I hope they grow even more, they've certainly earned it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They locked petting your dog behind $140k.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What monsters!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

They locked petting your dog behind $140k.

I knew they'd sell out eventually

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
As long as I can pet my space llama, it's all good.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Dunno if anyone is still playing this, but wow the difficulty curve between permadeath and normal is wild. I haven't had any captains last a year with p.d., while in my other playthrough I'm getting to late game stuff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

frogge posted:

Dunno if anyone is still playing this, but wow the difficulty curve between permadeath and normal is wild. I haven't had any captains last a year with p.d., while in my other playthrough I'm getting to late game stuff.

I'm still noticing the weekly patch where some presumably ridiculous amount of content is being added and I'm sure I'll come back to play at some point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, same. Probably when the campaign has some sort of ending.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly, my relationship with Star Traders is spending an entire month playing it compulsively once a season. I've got a lot of backlog to go through, but it is inevitable I'll be coming back to give this game another month of my gaming time.

And yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I don't like Permadeath in games with longer than session-long playthroughs, so other than achievement hunting I pretty much stopped playing PD modes in everything that has the option.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, same. Probably when the campaign has some sort of ending.

It's really weird what a massive stumbling block that is for me. The game has so much content that I could play it for another year until they develop an ending. Yet, I refuse because I want the reassurance of knowing there's one there.

I also kickstarted Cyber Knights despite knowing that Star Traders wasn't done yet. I can't really justify myself.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
I think y'all are kidding yourselves if you think there's going to be an ending. They've been pretty explicit about wanting this to be a sandbox experience and they've said they don't even see any of the major vignettes as constituting a main story anyway. If curing the plague or beating the Jyeeta didn't do it for you, well...

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Memnaelar posted:

It's really weird what a massive stumbling block that is for me. The game has so much content that I could play it for another year until they develop an ending. Yet, I refuse because I want the reassurance of knowing there's one there.

I also kickstarted Cyber Knights despite knowing that Star Traders wasn't done yet. I can't really justify myself.

I justify it easily in that they are an amazing, hard working set of developers who put a lot of effort and love into the game and then into patches for years to follow, and the amount of time they put into their work is worth rewarding. The art is always so so but the dedication into the actual gameplay and responsiveness they have with constant fixes and patches really makes it a true labor of love and I'm happy to reward that.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

willing to settle posted:

I think y'all are kidding yourselves if you think there's going to be an ending. They've been pretty explicit about wanting this to be a sandbox experience and they've said they don't even see any of the major vignettes as constituting a main story anyway. If curing the plague or beating the Jyeeta didn't do it for you, well...

Yeah I always figured the late game was doing that and then continuing to chill in space at the top of your game forever.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm waiting for new map gen stuff to go in right now but I'm sure I'll noodle around for a while once they do. I'm not actually sure what'll be changing! But it seems like a fundamental feature either way.

Honestly the constant updates are laudable but as someone that tends to avoid early access stuff because I prefer a complete game, it makes it hard to ever want to sit down and really dig in. My brain just wonders why learn the ins and outs of systems that could be changed?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

willing to settle posted:

Maybe. I don't want the game to literally forcefully end at some point, but I would like a 'main quest' with some sort of conclusion that I can ignore while I dick around forever. It's a psychological thing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The big crises in the later ages are exactly that.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I wouldn´t mind an ending in the vein of how Sid Meiers Pirates! did it. When you end your career you get a tally of what you accomplished during your career and whatever happened to you afterwards is based on how well you did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just picked this game back up and there were two revelations from guidereading that really broke it open for me.

- When you look at the initial hand for spy / patrol / explore / whatever, you don't have to do anything with it, you can just nope out and leave if it's bad.
- Upgrades to ship components are a very good idea that I'd been mostly ignoring in favor of saving for a bigger ship.

i'm now safely into positive relations with every major faction in the galaxy and coming up on being able to afford a battlecruiser with enough of a nest egg to keep raretrading

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

Maybe. I don't want the game to literally forcefully end at some point, but I would like a 'main quest' with some sort of conclusion that I can ignore while I dick around forever. It's a psychological thing.

Think of each era as its own main quest with endings. Kinda like an MMO's expansions.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just picked this game back up and there were two revelations from guidereading that really broke it open for me.

- When you look at the initial hand for spy / patrol / explore / whatever, you don't have to do anything with it, you can just nope out and leave if it's bad.
- Upgrades to ship components are a very good idea that I'd been mostly ignoring in favor of saving for a bigger ship.

i'm now safely into positive relations with every major faction in the galaxy and coming up on being able to afford a battlecruiser with enough of a nest egg to keep raretrading
Yeah, one of my first upgrades is usually a 2nd or 3rd level weapons locker, which has saved my rear end several times over.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, one of my first upgrades is usually a 2nd or 3rd level weapons locker, which has saved my rear end several times over.

this, and 'don't just blindly follow the main quest because everyone will hate you and you'll end up stranded in the middle of nowhere' are the two main 'before i play' tips, I reckon.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 1, 2020

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

sebmojo posted:

this, and 'don't just blindly follow the main quest because everyone will hate you and you'll end up stranded in the middle of nowhere' are the two main 'before i play' tips, I reckon.

What's the best alternative? Kind of just exploring and seeing what you can do? Does exploration lead to other story/quest line hooks?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've replaced my crippling Stellaris addiction with a crippling this addiction.

:peanut:

E: Even after two+ years starting officer generation is so loving bad. At least they made the crew default to "sort by job". Still insufficient control over galaxy generation, the personal/faction reputation still a PITA to manage, Roaring Barrels still the best crew combat by a country mile an AU, the introductory quest tree path-dependents you like a motherfucker: I remember why I love/hate this game so much...

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 1, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

prometheusbound2 posted:

What's the best alternative? Kind of just exploring and seeing what you can do? Does exploration lead to other story/quest line hooks?

If you follow the Blood Feud plotline, everyone winds up pissed at you. But I thought that the Arbiter's storyline is MUCH easier on your relations and seems to be the safer plot thread to follow? I haven't run through it in ages, so maybe something is different than I remember.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was thinking about this game and I realized that a lot of the talents remind me of the problems with the Feat Trees in D&D 3.x (e.g. the shot/chaser thing that Exo-Scouts get where you use a marker to put a huge plasma damage weakness then you hit them with the plasma burner): They're a really cool idea, but the marker trait is like L5 and the burner trait is L8 and by that point your character probably has access to easier damage options and having to set up a 1/2 like that is chancy.

Also, the Xeno Hunter is new since the last time I played a lot and goddamn is the L1 Grenade talent overpowered.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Squiggle posted:

If you follow the Blood Feud plotline, everyone winds up pissed at you. But I thought that the Arbiter's storyline is MUCH easier on your relations and seems to be the safer plot thread to follow? I haven't run through it in ages, so maybe something is different than I remember.

Oh good point. Yeah, it's more just be aware of your reputation and manage it carefully, you can do jobs for different clans and keep them neutral to you. It's not too hard, just don't charge ahead blindly.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

sebmojo posted:

Oh good point. Yeah, it's more just be aware of your reputation and manage it carefully, you can do jobs for different clans and keep them neutral to you. It's not too hard, just don't charge ahead blindly.

Oh definitely; not paying attention to that is exactly how I more or less plunged my first game into the ground. It's not exactly obvious that the Arbiter storyline is easier to follow, since you've got to fly across the galaxy to kick it off, while the Feud plot is right there and basically already started by the tutorial. If there's one thing I wish I could see them change, it's to steer you into following the Arbiter right away.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I followed the Arbiter's storyline because noble feuds are stupid and I have greater responsibilities :colbert: Mind you, I also play on a teeny-tiny map so her quest's a lot easier on me than most.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Do you have to pickup the arbiter and fly her to the court for her to contact you later?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The Feud storyline isn’t too bad if you have a patrol, blockade or spy setup. If you’re going to a planet and you’re going to piss them off, blockade or spy on their rivals, or chase off pirates at all of their systems en route. I think the worst thing about following the Feud is that you need a pretty generalist crew early. You’ll be doing pretty much every kind of mission, from exploration and ground combat, to diplomacy, espionage and more.
I don’t think I’ve ever started the arbiter missions because it starts so far away.

I play on permadeath though, so I’ve never gotten super far into the game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pvt.Scott posted:

The Feud storyline isn’t too bad if you have a patrol, blockade or spy setup. If you’re going to a planet and you’re going to piss them off, blockade or spy on their rivals, or chase off pirates at all of their systems en route. I think the worst thing about following the Feud is that you need a pretty generalist crew pretty early. You’ll be doing pretty much every kind of mission, from exploration and ground combat, to diplomacy, espionage and more.
I don’t think I’ve ever started the arbiter missions because it starts so far away.

I play on permadeath though, so I’ve never gotten super far into the game.

It feels like the starter quest is a nice demo (because, like you say, it gives a sampler plate of everything) but not a great start to playing the game itself, if that makes any sense?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, the Arbiter's follow up storyline is probably the best way to go for a starter, as it will give you a bunch of new contacts all over.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

It feels like the starter quest is a nice demo (because, like you say, it gives a sampler plate of everything) but not a great start to playing the game itself, if that makes any sense?

Yeah. I bounced my head off of it a lot in the beginning because it wants you to wear a bunch of hats. Specialization is the key to getting off the ground, and I had much more success just puttering off to chase my own goals.

I wonder if starting with a huge ship and decent crew is the way to go with that? It’s hard to resist the urge to make a turbo-captain though. Your avatar influences most of the rolls in the game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll be honest, I always follow the Blood Feud through and do the Eric branch so I can kill whats-her-name's son because in the first mission it's like: "I'm here bodyguarding for a loving Zendu and you have the audacity to drag my name with your lovely faction because of that? No. That's not how Shalun instructs us. gently caress you and gently caress your kid."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I just checked my Steam library, and apparently I haven’t played since the end of 2019. Whelp, time to ply the star lanes again.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
If you're quick you can do the Faen quest and the Arbiter's stuff. I don't think having a single faction pissed off at you is usually that big of a deal, gives you someone to do piracy on if you're into that. There are some factions it can be a pain in the rear end for with future storylines, admittedly. Not great to piss of Steel Song, Cadar, Zenrin, Moklemnue or Thulun. Which I realise is quite a lot of the factions, but.

Not following the Arbiter mission does kind of screw you out of one of the major storylines later on (dissension and consolidation) as well, as a note. No penalty for not following up on the Faen stuff, except for being locked out of several mutually exclusive achievements.

It really does spread you very thin though. Spying is almost completely worthless in this game and you end up having to do a fair bit of it, especially in Zette's path, which is incredibly annoying since you should not spec for spying at all under any circumstances (a single spy crew member for Unauthorized Access if you're going boarding heavy is totally worth it though).

quote:

E: Even after two+ years starting officer generation is so loving bad. At least they made the crew default to "sort by job". Still insufficient control over galaxy generation, the personal/faction reputation still a PITA to manage, Roaring Barrels still the best crew combat by a country mile an AU, the introductory quest tree path-dependents you like a motherfucker: I remember why I love/hate this game so much...

Roaring barrels looks great but it eventually falls off really hard because it forces you to use a snubber and putting a rifle user on the front lines is usually a terrible idea by end game. The first two ranks pretty much have to use swords if you're against the Jyeeta.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone tried the scientific intel economy and science careers introduced last week? I am this close to dipping my toes into this game again.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I can barely stand to play this on a 12-quad map (with the map speed at double), I literally cannot imagine playing on the recommended 20-28 (much less the max 40).

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Anyone tried the scientific intel economy and science careers introduced last week? I am this close to dipping my toes into this game again.

They're not bad. Racking up intel is pretty easy at higher levels. It ends up being less effort to acquire than regular intel but there are far fewer contacts that will buy it. Since the main benefit of selling info is rep gain rather than cash, this does end up being kind of limited, but the opportunity cost is so low unless you have a tiny ship and can't spare the bunk for a scientist that you might as well. I could also see see Scientist captain being a fairly solid starting job as an alternative to explorer. Honestly it's hardly game-changing, it just makes things that were already very good ways to make money (exploring, hunting xeno, scavenging) even better.