Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

What is up, my fellow man.

Word, my brother, let us converse fluently in colloquial hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Word, my brother, let us converse fluently in colloquial hood.

For shizzle my dude.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

It's not difficulty, it's just annoying.
Fangame try-hards having no idea what real difficulty is? You don't say. :monocle:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

OH no it's back!

*instantly bookmarks to follow the trainwreck*

Actually, if it's possible to access images of the area maps, could you provide them? I remember from the last attempt that this game is kind of confusing to follow along with as far as map design goes and it's even more so when we aren't playing it for ourselves to get an idea of what location is where.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bible Ian Black posted:

I really hate this game a lot, for a lot of reasons. Nothing says 'Pokemon' like a completely joyless game with characters dreamed up by a high school scene kid.

Ha. A scene kid. Every major character in this game was a character in the "real" reborn rp chat room.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Onmi posted:

Ha. A scene kid. Every major character in this game was a character in the "real" reborn rp chat room.

oh dear god

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Onmi posted:

Oh god, so we've gone past Tumblr and straight into Livejournal territory? God help us.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There are like four more paragraphs about his Torchic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Onmi posted:

This is honestly an impressive amount of work for fan fiction about fan fiction. It would be kind of :shobon: if it weren't for the deliberately hostile game design.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Augus posted:

Pokemon!

The Pokemon romhack that's so edgy it can't use the word "prostitute" or "hooker" but instead uses the sophisticated synonym of "doxy". :allears:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Reborn is the Dark Souls 2 of Pokemon fangames.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sydin posted:

The Pokemon romhack that's so edgy it can't use the word "prostitute" or "hooker" but instead uses the sophisticated synonym of "doxy". :allears:

It's not a romhack it's RPG maker. I say this because God awful romhacks are their own category

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
So, OFS, are you gonna continue updating us on your The Worst Character ratings as we go? I'm curious as to where Julia falls.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My choice of nicknames are part ones I made, part ones people suggested. None of them are good or memorable.
gently caress you PidgeHedburg is fantastic

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Uranium was built on some sort of generic Pokemon framework, right? Is Reborn the same way?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pixeltendo posted:

I guess the only saving grace Reborn has is it doesn't have edgy "types" like Radioactive or really bad Original Pokemon like Uranium did.

But everything else...yikes!

But on the other hand it has no redeeming Top Boy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

megane posted:

Uranium was built on some sort of generic Pokemon framework, right? Is Reborn the same way?

Yes. Also the same framework as sage but sages demo is way better than either uranium or reborn

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Onmi posted:

Yes. Also the same framework as sage but sages demo is way better than either uranium or reborn

To be fair is that really a great accomplishment

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

At this point, I genuinely feel "doesn't suck" really is a great accomplishment for a Pokemon fangame.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

The best "criticism" I ever heard towards Pokemon Gaia, a romhack was "it doesn't do anything special it just looks like fire red"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Isn't Pokemon Sage pretty much completely stalled out?

Onmi posted:

The best "criticism" I ever heard towards Pokemon Gaia, a romhack was "it doesn't do anything special it just looks like fire red"
This seems cool, though. FireRed + QoL improvements and playable on an emulator on my phone sounds great.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 13, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

At this point, I genuinely feel "doesn't suck" really is a great accomplishment for a Pokemon fangame.

That's a valid point.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Isn't Pokemon Sage pretty much completely stalled out?

This seems cool, though. FireRed + QoL improvements and playable on an emulator on my phone sounds great.

Nah we have Sage Sunday where every week on Sunday they post what they've done in a week on /vp/ the Pokemon board on 4chan

Gaia has its own plot and region but it's "A Pokemon Game." as in it feels like a Pokemon game not a perverse misunderstanding of Pokemon

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Onmi posted:

oh my god how did I forget this very loving important detail

I wonder if they had to ask for permission to kill any of them off, because I am absolutely goddamn sure they are going to kill someone off because it's extremely hardcore to do that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every single RP group, whether freeform online or tabletop RPGs, has said "man we should make a game/book/whatever out of this this rules" at some point. Good on them for actually doing it, though bad on them for making it suck

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bible Ian Black posted:

oh my god how did I forget this very loving important detail

I wonder if they had to ask for permission to kill any of them off, because I am absolutely goddamn sure they are going to kill someone off because it's extremely hardcore to do that.

Any discussion of this would violate the thread rules I feel.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Oh God, it's this poo poo again. If you have to LP this, don't chicken out. I want the whole horrible experience.

Yes, shinies are more common in Reborn, but of course the designers added black to most of the new color palettes.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yo are there any good GBA romhacks? Or any romhacks that introduce the phys/special split?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Yo are there any good GBA romhacks? Or any romhacks that introduce the phys/special split?

I think that's a separate hack you can add to anything. Or some tool like the randomizers. I want to say some have added at least gen 4 pokemon (poorly), too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I completely forgot about this, and it really drives home the design philosophy for this game. Anything remotely useful is forbidden, but the game can and will still taunt you with the fact that it technically does exist, you just won't get it until long after it would have been useful.

Regalingualius posted:

...Did the developers for this fangame just come together and decide to take the edgiest option for everything every single time?
Now you're starting to get it! This is a mature Pokemon game for adults only and widdle kiddie babbies need not apply. If you don't understand how great their writing is, you're obviously not mature enough for Pokemon Reborn's plot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

I completely forgot about this, and it really drives home the design philosophy for this game. Anything remotely useful is forbidden, but the game can and will still taunt you with the fact that it technically does exist, you just won't get it until long after it would have been useful.

Now you're starting to get it! This is a mature Pokemon game for adults only and widdle kiddie babbies need not apply. If you don't understand how great their writing is, you're obviously not mature enough for Pokemon Reborn's plot.

Better. They used to give magikarp then realised "it's too broken " and changed it. They removed access to gastly for the same reason

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Onmi posted:

Better. They used to give magikarp then realised "it's too broken " and changed it. They removed access to gastly for the same reason

They're not wrong about Gyarados being a real fucker, just I have a Bidoof.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If the next Pokefangame wants to be even more "mature" it should add the mechanic from Monster Seed that made it the first game I ever returned to the store - Pokemon dying of age!

IIRC Digimon World also had that mechanic, and I bet it would have made my younger self real mad as well, but the life span of monsters in MS was super short, like 2 battles in I had monsters just suddenly die on me (but hey, if the monster liked you for the like 2 days it existed it might do some kinda suicide attack when it dies!)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
By the way, I am really interested in previous versions, and while some development artifacts remain like previous maps, a lot of things like one character's old vs. sprite aren't in the game anymore, and there are changes like moving Magikarp from here to after the 14th badge that I can't glean from the current game.

FPzero posted:

Actually, if it's possible to access images of the area maps, could you provide them? I remember from the last attempt that this game is kind of confusing to follow along with as far as map design goes and it's even more so when we aren't playing it for ourselves to get an idea of what location is where.

Sure, have some cropped RPG Maker XP screencaps.

This is Opal Ward, with the Grand Hall in the center. The highlighted tile is the free potion NPC.

This is Lower Peridot Ward, highlighted tile is poo poo-brown lake guy.

The maps are really big and really elaborate.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If the next Pokefangame wants to be even more "mature" it should add the mechanic from Monster Seed that made it the first game I ever returned to the store - Pokemon dying of age!

IIRC Digimon World also had that mechanic, and I bet it would have made my younger self real mad as well, but the life span of monsters in MS was super short, like 2 battles in I had monsters just suddenly die on me (but hey, if the monster liked you for the like 2 days it existed it might do some kinda suicide attack when it dies!)
IIRC, Monster Rancher also had monsters die of old age, but they left a stat-booster for other monsters when they did.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

moving Magikarp from here to after the 14th badge

:psyduck:

Also I realized that even the menus and dialogue boxes are black. C'mon son.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC, Monster Rancher also had monsters die of old age, but they left a stat-booster for other monsters when they did.

In MS it was just so messed up because as I said monsters would die of old age mid-battle, and battles were turn-based tactical grid battles. Imagine playing Fire Emblem or FFT and in the middle of a fight one of your units just randomly keels over.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
They... they cut Magikarp for being too good?

I mean, okay yes Gyarados kicks rear end but it's a long way off.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

namehereguy posted:

No see the issue is gyarados got dragon rage so it could deal solid 40 damage a turn. And that made a lot of dipshit fights doable but not in the way they intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

namehereguy posted:

These are the kind of people we're dealing with here. Gyarados is good, therefore you can't have him. Also you can't have anything that allows you to "trivialize" encounters or use anything but the One True Intended Solution to anything.

I half expect the next "update" to the game to remove all tall grass, forcing you to a) get all of your Pokemon from events, and b) get all of your exp from non-renewable Trainer and plot battles.

Onmi posted:

No see the issue is gyarados got dragon rage so it could deal solid 40 damage a turn. And that made a lot of dipshit fights doable but not in the way they intended
Yeah, this is the kind of poo poo we're talking about. Anything with moves, typing, or abilities that allow you to do things they don't specifically intend for you to do is swiftly removed and (sometimes) replaced with something worse.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 13, 2018