Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaded Burnout

This is my zone, where I live, give or take.

Find any spot within that image and I'll go there and post a trip report!

Towns with funny names? You got it. Weird little nooks and crooks in the forest? I'm on it.

Here's a google maps link, go zoom, find, track and locate.

BYOB WE ARE GOING PLACES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
hmm You could go to chil(l)mington

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

Samphire Hoe is a wonderfully strange name and I like parks and I like the seaside so maybe you will too

ty nesamdoom!

Jaded Burnout

Chilmington Green does sound Most BYOB, good choice.

Jaded Burnout

Manifisto posted:

Samphire Hoe is a wonderfully strange name and I like parks and I like the seaside so maybe you will too

Also apparently the location of the iconic white cliffs of dover, which I've not seen since I was a wee bairn going on family trips to France.

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also apparently the location of the iconic white cliffs of dover, which I've not seen since I was a wee bairn going on family trips to France.

as a bonus I challenge/invite you to find at least one geocache in the area. there are several in the park and an interesting variety to choose from. if you have no idea what I'm talking about go to geocaching.com. if it's not your cup of tea though that's fine, you can wimp out. I suppose.

Jaded Burnout

It's been a very long time since I've gone geocaching but I accept your challenge.

Jaded Burnout

Last time I did it we had a handheld GPS receiver because smartphones didn't exist yet.

Manifisto

Jaded Burnout posted:

Last time I did it we had a handheld GPS receiver because smartphones didn't exist yet.

ha

yeah my first caches were also done before I had a phone with a gps. I've got a garmin unit that I'm sure is fully functional but I can't imagine when I'd use it, especially for geocaching.

treasure bear

please find ham in hamstreet

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Wye Memorial Crown
https://goo.gl/maps/9uC839KaVio

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
ShadoXhurst

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Jaded Burnout

don’t shadox me

ron color
snave please

Twenty Four

Looks like a lot of small to medium lakes, maybe hit one of those up?

I like the charm of a pond or small lake.

The Real Amethyst

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
follow the dotted line coming from dover. this is a treasure map by the way.

Jaded Burnout

Twenty Four posted:

Looks like a lot of small to medium lakes, maybe hit one of those up?

I like the charm of a pond or small lake.

Which one?

These are all good suggestions, I'm going to check some out this weekend.

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Just do like my Pa always said, go into the water.
Live there.
Die there.

Jaded Burnout

Munchables posted:

Just do like my Pa always said, go into the water.
Live there.
Die there.

OK, so long as I'm done by Monday, I have a Genius Bar appointment.

Twenty Four

Jaded Burnout posted:

Which one?

These are all good suggestions, I'm going to check some out this weekend.

I didn't have a certain one in mind, but, if there is a pond or small lake near some other place you are already going to and kill two birds with one stone that would be cool to see a few pictures!

Otherwise, I get kind of obsessive looking over maps, and can enjoy doing so for hours, so if you want me to pick a specific one I certainly can but I can't guarantee it will be any good!

Either way I am glad to hear you took some time off work and are going out and about!

Jaded Burnout

Twenty Four posted:

Otherwise, I get kind of obsessive looking over maps, and can enjoy doing so for hours, so if you want me to pick a specific one I certainly can but I can't guarantee it will be any good!

I'd like that! It's fun to think of going to places that I might not pick.

Twenty Four

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'd like that! It's fun to think of going to places that I might not pick.

I am having some real trouble, after spending hours studying maps. Most out of the way places that look really cool to me seem to be on private land accessible only by locked and gated private roads.

On the other hand I find a place that looks like you can easily get there with a little pond nearby just to find it is some sort of B&B or something. English countryside is a whole different beast then I am used to.

I kept coming back to this place, not because it looks ideal, but it looks central to your area and it says it is a public park, so I guess it's the best I have come up with so far.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1519711,0.8998128,2469m/data=!3m1!1e3

Conningbrook Lakes Country Park looks a bit bigger and not as middle of no where as I was hoping for, but there's a lake, and I think you can actually go there?

If you are feeling more adventurous and willing to go to some places you maybe shouldn't or jump some fences and do some wandering, I can keep looking.

Jaded Burnout

Conningbrook it is.

FYI there's quite a nice lake up in Eastwell Manor which you can partially access, maybe I'll stop off there some other time.

No need to stress on it, we all chill here.

Rushi

by Smythe
posting to bookmark

going to random towns on map is actual hobby of mine

incredible

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Twenty Four

Jaded Burnout posted:

Conningbrook it is.

FYI there's quite a nice lake up in Eastwell Manor which you can partially access, maybe I'll stop off there some other time.

No need to stress on it, we all chill here.

Oh trust me, the stress is minimal, looking at maps is one of my favorite things, almost a shameful indulgence. You just gave me a good excuse to do so! I have subscribed to the regular physical copy of National Geographic for almost as long as I can remember, and sometimes the pretty photographs and insightful articles get in the way of me flipping through a new issue looking for the maps on my first browse. It's weird I guess, but I enjoy it.

If you have a better idea, please feel free, I just settled on the safe and easy idea that hopefully wouldn't be too much trouble, or get you into any trouble, after scouring the countryside. I actually did look at Eastwell Lake and considered it as well. I'm just more used to getting to a place being more about "can you get there" then "are you allowed to be there" and that was my concern.

Jaded Burnout

One of the advantages of exploration is that it often doesn't matter if you fail to get where you're going.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Jaded Burnout posted:

One of the advantages of exploration is that it often doesn't matter if you fail to get where you're going.

And one of the advantages of running a small local day-trip tour business from home is that you can free source your trip planning labor from your favorite comedy forums, am I right?

I mean, get a load of this guy. We clearly need to unionize :ussr:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
im on the computer now and can look at the map better and all i see are castles.

ok, maybe i searched for castles. are they all tourists, or do the english go to their castles? or is it like when you live in new york and never go to the statue of liberty?

william the conqueror's place looks like a predecessor to brutalism, holy cow. and that's right by st. augustine's abbey which looks nice.

just search ruins on the zone JB gave us and look at castle pictures for a half hour like me

i also found the wye national nature reserve that looks cool, and im weirdly drawn to a chalk pit within the reserve. looks like they have a new building near it, maybe for groundskeeping/forestry stuff but there looks to be some old foundations near the pit too. could be some old farm ruins which might be neat :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.1600162,0.9768241,139a,35y,90h,39.49t/data=!3m1!1e3

Jaded Burnout

Hugh Malone posted:

are they all tourists, or do the english go to their castles? or is it like when you live in new york and never go to the statue of liberty?

Or San Francisco and Alcatraz, yeah.

There're people who go to all those things, most of them are National Trust properties so people get memberships and potter around, often retirees.

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Mo Lash looks chill and bdsm and cool

Jaded Burnout

Today has been a prep and plan day. I unearthed my good camera and dug through almost every box in the house to find the charger, which is now blinking away.

Tomorrow I plan to tackle a few places on the list!

Now I'm chillin' with my r@s, though.

twoday

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
A denehole (alternatively dene hole or dene-hole) is an underground structure consisting of a number of small chalk caves entered by a vertical shaft. The name is given to certain caves or excavations in England, which have been popularly supposed to be due to the Danes or some other of the early northern invaders of the country.

The general outline of the formation of these caves is invariably the same. The entrance is a vertical shaft some 3 feet (1 m) in diameter falling, on an average, to a depth of 60 feet (20 m). The depth is regulated by the depth of the chalk layer from the surface, although chalk can be found within a few feet, or even inches, from the surface. A depth of from 45 to 80 feet or more, is a characteristic feature.

Footholds were cut into the sides of the shaft to allow the miners to climb in and out. The shaft, when the chalk is reached, widens out into a domed chamber with a roof of chalk some 3 feet thick. The walls frequently contract somewhat as they near the floor. As a rule the main chamber is 16 to 18 feet in height, beneath each shaft. From this excessive height it has been inferred that the caves were not primarily intended for habitations or even hiding-places. In most cases, between two and four sub-chambers are present, excavated laterally from the floor level, the roof being supported by pillars of chalk left standing.

Here are some poorly documented ancient Dene holes that haven’t been explored since 1906. Lower a camera into the shafts and see what is down there, it might be cool.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=19142

Back-up hole in case you can’t get to those:

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=19146

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

twoday

Also there was an amazing twitter thread about Small Pilgram Places. (Check out the whole thread):

https://twitter.com/gawanmac/status/984865835566141440?s=19

There is a Small Pilgrim Place in Kent at Wychling. It is a Norman Church mentioned in the Domesday Book, and looks pretty cool and accessible:

https://www.smallpilgrimplaces.org/pages/view.php?pid=&lid=&rid=&sid=44&page=1&vpid=3&rpp=rp3&vpid=99&rpp=rp99

The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within this post are for informational purposes only. No material in this post is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this post or the replies to this post.

Jaded Burnout

I saw that thread, it's very interesting. I'll see what can be done!

twoday

Oh wait that is the one in the Twitter thread. Ed Balls.

There is this one, maybe ir is too far though:

https://www.smallpilgrimplaces.org/pages/view.php?pid=&lid=&rid=&sid=44&page=1&vpid=3&rpp=rp3&vpid=99&rpp=rp99&vpid=56&rpp=rp56

twoday

The Denge Wood Earthworks also seem pretty cool.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=16960

It is some old artificial landscape in the forest that has not been well documented.

Or there is this ancient tumulus in King’s Wood, probably filled with treasure:

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=19593

And also in that same forest is the Coppice Cloud Chamber, and a bunch of other crazy wooden structures:

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/routeslinkscycle/kings-wood-kent-walking-and-cycle-route

I will stop now.

N. Senada

My kidneys are busted
this is a cool idea

:ghost: Happy halloween :ghost:

Jaded Burnout

I did mean to get to some of these last weekend but I failed. I'm so. So . Sorry.

But I have a couple of weeks off from next week so you bet I'm going a-wanderin'.

Jaded Burnout

spectres of autism posted:

hmm You could go to chil(l)mington

I decided that when a town name is mentioned I'll go to exactly where the name is on the map.

In this case, it's here:

It's a farm!

With horsies!

They came to say hello!

I petted da horses :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

As I arrived in xXsHaDoXhUrStXx I thought, man, this is a lovely empty street, nothing of any interest here, so I went a little further down Church Street (everywhere has a Church Street here) and found.. a church!

Sneaky hint for what's coming next

• Locked thread