Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If it's Vegas-Caps I hope Neal gives Wilson a few elbow sandwiches.

Anyways:

1) Vegas - the Mafster, James "Elbows" Neal, and an expansion team winning is funny.

2) Tampa - They're kinda boring in terms of personalities but they play an exciting brand of hockey

3) Caps - I guess OV winning would be cool.

4) Peg - Nothing against the team but the Canadian media would be insufferable if a Canadian team won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Oh god what have I done to myself

You'll get used to it. I almost changed my name back but I am Ginette Reno now and god bles

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

There is no way Ovechkin doesn't eclipse 300 pounds a few years after he retires.

And he'll still be faster than Orpik is.

Also Kunitz owns

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Holtby looks like he's in a good place right now which should give Caps fans hope. He's got that Matt Murray thing going where he's not necessarily unbeatable but you have that confidence that he's not gonna blow a game either. Not sure which opponent would be better for them. Fast teams seem to give them trouble historically which would make Vegas a bad match but they handled Pittsburgh and Tampa so far this year. Winnipeg is really good.

Caps won't have home ice in the finals this year if they get that far but home ice doesn't seem to matter much this year.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Stralman owns

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Haven't watched the video. No idea who this guy is or what it's about. Made me laugh.

Ultimate CanucksFlames Fan

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Kawalimus is great because he's the alter ego to Tayne. Instead of all confidence, the boy got none. And it's appropriate given the history of the two teams.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Other people enjoy playoff hockey???

Ya it's pretty good when your team wins a lot

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

the answer to this question should be very obvious

also I love how MAF turned out to be a Good Goalie and those literal years of endless MAF GON MAF posts have all been revealed as stupid

Yes why did anyone ever think tha-

oh

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

right i'm sure he's just one of those unique specimens of pro hockey player that waited until age 33 to develop and that there weren't external issues affecting those numbers

Go back and watch those series again if you think it was Bylsma or the Pens causing his horrific numbers. Bylsma is poo poo, but the lol Maf thing is a result of a long line of terrible goals he gave up during that 4 year stretch where he was a brutally bad playoff goalie.

He stopped being a wreck in the playoffs when the Pens hired him a real goalie coach who did revolutionary things like telling him to hold his post instead of flopping on wraparounds. He also followed that up with two seasons in a row of 920% regular season goaltending. The Pens were really dumb to stick with his old goalie coach as long as they did.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I like people singing the praises of the guy who's been historically mediocre in the regular season, terrible in the playoffs and is letting in at least one super soft goal a night because he made a bunch of saves last night and was integral in helping the Pens win back to back cups by opening the bench door over and over.

Eh in fairness he was integral to them winning their first two series last year.

In 09 when they first won he was actually kinda lovely. Had like a 908. Though he was good in the finals that year if memory serves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's Mcphee and it will be in a landslide and it should be

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I have to imagine VGK gets coach, but GM? :shrug:

As an expansion team they were predicted to not even make the playoffs let alone nearly win the President's Trophy. There's no way Mcphee isn't winning GM of the year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I’d like to see how the Knight would destroy a Capital without it being construed as an act of terror.

Now I'm picturing a guy dressed up as the White House getting knocked to the ice by the Vegas Golden Knight with a 747 prop in his hand instead of a sword so thanks for that

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That Ovechkin pass to Kuznetsov was really nice

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

corn on the cop posted:

congratulations to vegas but man if this isn't like, super embarrassing for the league

it's not the league's fault Florida gifted Vegas with a first line and good coach. Dale Tallon's name should be on the Cup if Vegas wins.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Vegas really can do no wrong. They not only dressed Ryan Reaves in a loving Western Conference finals game but he scored the gwg to put them in the finals.

Also Maf is gonna make the hall of fame lol

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

He also had an assist on the series wining goal.

Reaves from Sbisa. Imagine the money you could make on that prop bet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slappy Pappy posted:

The best part about this is that if the Caps somehow pull a miracle and win out, they will only have won the Stanley Cup by beating an expansion team.

Technically every Cup that isn't over the original 6 is a win over an expansion team

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Porrima posted:

Which has home ice if tampa or washington wins?

Goes by points in the finals so Tampa gets home ice if they advance. If Washington advances, Vegas will have home ice.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

On paper it's hands down one of the worst defences seen this year

Schmidt and Miller are really good but yeah I don't know how the rest of it is holding up so well.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

That's because the second part of the Vegas problem is "how loving stupid is every GM in the NHL that they got us to BELIEVE this team was going to suck". They had favorable rules to pick a team and GMs happily gave up good players to either get out from under contracts they didn't like or get rid of players who didn't fit their vision for contending.

The other issue is how a team with no star players rode a hot goalie to the Final and maybe even a Cup. Does skill matter so little in the NHL now? How random are playoff results? What happens if other teams start trying to copy this model, especially as a cover for not spending money on players?

There is a legit discussion to be had about all this, but gently caress all the people whining about "their fans don't deserve it" or "there are teams that have been around for decades without winning a cup". Thankfully I haven't seen too much "the NHL rigged it so this would happen", people seem sane enough to limit the league's involvement to just the expansion draft and salary cap.

They do have star players though. Fleury has played like a star goalie this year. Marchessault and William Karlsson both had 70+ points which basically qualifies them as star players as well. William Karlsson almost won the Richard!

The biggest myth about them is they don't have star power. They do. They've got a Vezina caliber goalie (for this year at least), two star forwards, and a very good supporting cast of forwards with guys like Neal, Perron, Haula, Smith all having excellent years as secondary offensive pieces. Vegas had as many 20 goal scorers as the Penguins.

If people want to complain about how they built their team then they should ask why so many NHL gms gave up on good players so easily. Why did Florida gift them a first line and a great coach. Why did Washington give up on a good defenseman in Schmidt instead of letting their backup goalie go. Why did Boston give up a defenseman who has put a 56% CF and 40 points for Vegas. etc which is basically what you're saying with your first point there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Karlsson is not a star player, 90% of hockey fans think you mean Erik. It will be really bad if "hope lesser-tier guys play over their heads for at least one season" becomes a widely-adopted strategy. At least the NHL has a salary floor but "why spend money, we can get young cheap guys who might turn out just as good" is ruining baseball.

I'd say being third in the goalscoring race qualifies him as a star player. Whether he sustains that or not moving forward is another question. And teams win Cups all the time by having guys play over their heads. The Penguins did it just last year or do you think Guentzel should be scoring 14 goals every playoffs?

You usually need star power to even make the playoffs anyways so I doubt we see any sort of trend develop here. Teams can feel free to sign also rans like William Karlsson and hope they magically turn into 40 goal scorers but I wouldn't anticipate that happening regularly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Karlsson's shooting percentage this season is 23%, up from his career average of 14%. He had 25 points last year and 20 before that, to his 70+ this year. To say he was a star player before Vegas is just wrong. Marchessault's less of a difference, but he put up 24 points more than his previous career high.

I never said he was a star player before Vegas. He's a star player this year. Yes he's shooting way above normal and likely will never shoot that well again, but so what? For one year at least, he's produced and played like a star player even if a lot of it comes down to luck.

Like I said in my post above, it's not a sustainable model. You can't randomly rely on a guy to have a star type year in the regular season. You usually need at least some star power to even get there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

I've spent the entire season referring to William Karlsson as "Karlsson, but the Vegas one, not Erik" because I literally didn't know his first name until like 2 pages in this thread ago. He's not a superstar.

Your own lack of awareness doesn't make him not a star player. He might not sustain being a star player moving forward. There's a pretty good argument that he won't. Doesn't change the fact that for this season he's a star player.

23rd in overall scoring, 3rd in goals. how is that not a star player?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Call Your Grandma posted:

NHL superstar Jonathan Cheechoo

I guess Connor Mcdavid wasn't a superstar until this year because prior to this year he only had one year of putting up star numbers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Sorry, this is the modern Maf:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm sure the Caps could have added something to have GMGM take Grubauer or someone else instead of Schmidt. But not a big deal really, certainly not compared to Florida who gave them two good players for...reasons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lol jesus. I'm trying to remember what my Finals tickets were last year. I went to game 5 which I think was only like 300$ on stubhub or something like that and that was sitting in the 200/300 row where the Pens shot twice. I went with my Preds fan coworker from Tennessee and it was actually cheaper for us to drive the 9 hours and get a hotel than it would have been to go to any game in Nashville.

I think tickets were that cheap because the Pens had just lost two in a row and it was a non clinching game, and also on a Thursday. Game 7 tickets were going to be a grand for the cheapest from what I could see.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t think it ever leaked what McPhee was asking for to not take Schmidt but Grubauer is a good player too and a likely starter somewhere next season. So it was either lose Grubauer and probably also lose something like a first round draft pick, or lose one of Eller/Wilson/Burakovsky if they went 4 F and 4 D. In hindsight losing Burakovsky might have been the best option but there was no real way to know he was going to be a pumpkin this season due to injuries. He was originally supposed to be a top 6 forward this season and was quite good against the Penguins in 2017.

I thought Schmidt was just so impressive in that series last year. I know the Caps lost but he was such a force in terms of puck possession it felt like. I dunno what the fancy unreadable graphs say. I was surprised they'd let him go rather than a backup. Grubauer is good but Holtby is the guy.

I wonder what the Caps will do in FA this year if they lose Carlson. Orlov/Niskanen are still good, and Djoos looks promising. But after that it's pretty bleh. I guess maybe Johansen steps in next year and does well. Seems like he might be close to ready to contribute at least a bottom pair.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Kinda curious how bad the Vegas team will end up being in their first season. With the expansion rules the way they are, they're pretty much guaranteed to get a halfway decent goalie, and there might be some other teams that are willing to try to offload players that are still good but are vastly overpaid.

I guess I should have said how good instead of how bad but I was right about them getting a goalie and also idiot gms giving them good but paid players like Reilly Smith.

Ginette Reno posted:

Has Jagr demanded a trade to Vegas yet?

Also disappointed this never happened.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hockey is really fun live. You get a much better appreciation for just how good the players are and how fast the game is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Carver posted:

I still wanna know why the pens stole their honking gimmick

Because for a while there the PPG crowd was pathetically quiet in the regular season.

Pittsburgh has always had loud crowds in the playoffs but their regular season crowds have been hit or miss.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Pittsburgh fans have historically only been interested in hockey when they have multiple Hall of Famers in their prime on the roster

So much like any other non original 6 team then

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Flyers have one of the best fanbases, but have also had a lot of great players throughout the years. So I dunno if they count.

Yeah that's fair. Even the year they were awful they still drew.

Flyers haven't been a sustained bottom feeder for a while though. Dunno how well even they'd do in that scenario. Good fanbase though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I hope we get a good game 7 that doesn't involve one team getting a lead and becoming incredibly suffocating after that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

2 goals, let's say? Yes, I have watched that game before and would not like to see it again.

Yes indeed. I enjoyed game 7 vs the Caps last year but I surely would not have if I wasn't a Penguins fan.

Game 7 vs Ottawa was cool.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

clean ayers act posted:

Isnt Buffalo leading the TV rankings for the playoffs despite not having a team in it?

They're basically Canadian, they don't count

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't much care who wins tonight but I hope whoever loses does so in an amusingly soul crushing way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Essentially, game 7s are the OT of a hockey series. So basically gently caress my anxiety already.

Game 7s own

https://i.imgur.com/RNTzPxc.mp4

• Locked thread