Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My order of preference is:
Capitals - I want OV to win a Cup so bad, and also I live here and it would be nice to get to take a day off of work if they win to go to a parade and get drunk
Knights - Expansion team winning in year 1 would be pretty funny and piss off a lot of people
Lightning - I don't really have any feelings for or against this team, they just sort of exist.
Jets - gently caress Canadian teams and their fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: What is this dumb loving poo poo. gently caress your rear end and eat mine afterward.

because you're all babies who react like this

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Vintersorg posted:

Eh, I get that when making GBS threads on a teams city/fans. But then saying gently caress Canada and everyone it. Nah.

your weird overreaction to my 100% Serious Post in which I said Winnipeg should lose because "gently caress Canada" is definitely not helping confirm my opinion that Canadian hockey fans (who I hope all get MURDERED by the way!!!) have a tendency to be over-sensitive and obnoxious when it's playoffs time

glynnenstein posted:

Canada is cool because it's like America Lite. Everyone up there moves and thinks a little slower and that makes them friendlier, like a nice puppy. Not to mention they all talk like lovable cartoon people. Canadians don't have those rough edges that Americans have from dealing with and fixing all the problems around the world.

Canada whips rear end. It's like America but cheaper, and there are less things to buy, but also people are slightly nicer. I like visiting there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

Lmao at anyone who takes jamwads trolling seriously

for real

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

heeheex2 posted:

I agree with gently caress Jamwad fake rear end pretend caps fan cheerin for the broons til the caps finally arise from the dumpster

excuse me but you can go through the archives and easily confirm that I've also always been a Caps fan

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

Based on morning skate it looks like Backstrom is out tonight and Burakovsky is in, likely on the third line. Holtby's probably gonna have to steal this one for Washington because I can't see Washington carrying the play without Backstrom.

Either Holtby has to steal the game or they'll need Tampa to take a dozen penalties or so, and Ovechkin scores on 3 or 4 of those.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The overlap of dumbies who voted for Trump and people who like hockey in the USA pretty much only reside in Michigan.

ya I bet Trump Voters are a real small percentage of the total population of "American Fans of Relatively Niche Rich White Guy Sport"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jehde posted:

I'm not much for nationalism so I tend to reject the notion of Canada's Team™. However the Jets seem to have some good hockey players that know how to play some exciting hockey. The fact that it enrages Americans to have a franchise that resides in Canada this late in the playoffs is just icing on the cake.

I don't think anyone is "enraged" that a Canadian franchise is this far, it's just funnier when your teams lose because many of your sports journalists definitely do buy into the Canada's Team thing and write funny articles when they fail, or when no Canadian team makes the playoffs/is a contender, and I like to read those.

Like, if I wanted the most American team to win I'd be cheering for Winnipeg. They have the most American players of any of the remaining teams by far, and all their best players are American or European aside from Scheifele.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, why are you yanks bent out of shape over what the Canadian media will do with the jets win/lose? Most Canadians don't even consume Canadian media.

how many times do i have to say "i think its funny" before you get it, jesus

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Caps I'm sorry I doubted you.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

As with all my posts, I was talking about you and you alone. You are the centre of my (and everyone else's) universe.

Ya I'm the protagonist of reality

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Still worried the Caps are gonna blow this series

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vegas is good because Florida fuckin' gifted them two thirds of a first line.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i don't think anyone said this?

yeah heading into the series I thought goaltending was more-or-less even, maybe a slight advantage to Tampa (which I don't think was that unreasonable going into game 1) but with the potential to swing the other way completely into Washington's favor because of Holtby.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
maybe he doesn't eat breakfast so the calories even out even though it's a big meal

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

It's not like the Capitals have ever won the first two games of a series in Tampa and then gone on to lose the series.

on the other hand, have you considered that when that happened everyone on the current Caps roster was a teenager still in high school, or younger, except for that old gently caress Orpik

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

i am the bird posted:

I get why folks are writing Capitals-in-the-finals pieces, but I don’t get the few that are assuming it’s inevitable based on Games 1 and 2. Tampa looks totally disinterested but this is still a team that could win the next 4. If they win tonight, we’re going to suddenly see a bunch of articles questioning whether the Caps have the resiliency to ‘bounce back’ for Game 4.

The Caps are a good team and winning 4 out of the next 5 is a tall order even for a great team like Tampa. I 100% agree that they can't be counted out, because that roster is too talented to go out quietly, but the Caps look like a pretty safe bet right now. They just need to win 2 of the next 5 games, after all.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Aside from the awful coverage on the Hedman goal and taking stupid penalties early, the Caps looked mostly fine to me, and they got better as the game went on.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kawalimus posted:

I watch a little bit and check scores and watch some highlights. I watch the whole game if im at a venue where theyre playing it. But I was permanently barred from the place after my reaction to the Penguins game 6 win so I cant go there anymore.

lmao

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

All issues with special teams aside, I do think the Lightning flipped the script at 5v5 yesterday. The Caps had trouble getting controlled zone entries and maintaining possession, and the Bolts did a great job hemming them into their own zone.

Kuzy is really good at carrying it in and that's about it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

MANime in the sheets posted:

Uh, the draft didn't work that way.

The Caps protecting MaJo had nothing to do with Schmidt.

Yeah. I think the Caps had to protect Niskanen because of his NTC (that rule might have been for NMC only, but they would have protected him anyway), and Carlson and Orlov were obvious choices over Schmidt.

If they had gone the eight skaters regardless of position route to keep both Scmidt and MoJo, then you're exposing someone like Burakovsky instead.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hoping for Vegas-Washington now because I'll be at a tradeshow for most, if not all, of the finals and my AV lead is from Vegas, a Knights season ticket holder, and I want to yell at him about the hockey.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm not really all that bummed about the Caps loss because they played really well and outshot Tampa, what, 40-20 or someting? Vasilevskiy played really well and made some great saves. It could have easily been another rout in Washington's favor if he doesn't make some of the saves he did.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
remember when I said Canadians turn into whiny oversensitive babies when it's playoff hockey, and that it would be really funny if the Jets lost

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am 100% ok with Vegas winning if they're playing Tampa but I still want OV to win a Cup first. Them losing to an expansion team in their first year led by MAF would be the Capsiest thing possible though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Why did Boston give up a defenseman who has put a 56% CF and 40 points for Vegas. etc which is basically what you're saying with your first point there.

Colin Miller was good but not great for Boston, prone to bad plays. A lot of people, myself included, thought he could be a very good top-4 defenseman but he wasn't going to get the opportunity since Krug does everything he can do but better, and at the time the Chara-Carlo pairing wasn't changing. Knowing McAvoy was on the way really sealed his fate as well.

So, to your overall point, Colin Miller was basically in the same boat as Karlsson and Schmidt were. Very good players/prospects who just weren't going to get the minutes to prove they could be stars on the teams they were on for whatever reason. I went into the season thinking the Knights would be bad but that maybe one or two of these "might be good" guys would prove they could do better with more minutes (by which I mean Karlsson being like a 20 goal 50 point guy, or Miller playing 20 a night and scoring 30 points or something), and that would be a win for Vegas. Instead you have multiple guys doing not just good, but playing at an elite level once they got the chance, which is pretty incredible and probably one of the main keys to Vegas' success.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lost Season posted:

Plus, the Bruins basically had to go with the 7/3/1 protection, and on defense they were guaranteed to protect Chara and Krug. The last spot was gonna be taken by one of the Millers, and Killer had fewer players in the system that were close to taking his spot, so he got protected.

Right. I liked Colin Miller a lot and thought he was a great piece, but he was never going to supplant Krug, and McAvoy will be a better player than him. Looking at Boston's system the best case scenario for him would have been a stop-gap second pairing guy for a season or two if Chara retired and McAvoy took longer to develop. Now, all that being said I wish they had traded him instead of losing him for nothing, but I understand why they didn't protect him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

In light of this "boo hoo VGK had it too easy, this league is a joke" whining, I decided to pull some choice quotes from shortly after the expansion draft, courtesy of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780857&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=54

well I wasn't right, but I was also Not Wrong, which is even better than being correct. I have such good hockey opinions.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not a bad roster overall honestly. Lacking forwards but there's a lot of potential. MAF and the backups could be decent. I think they're gonna flip a few defensemen too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
kawalimus is my favorite poster tbh

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Plus DC fans are pretty chill so you obviously didn't get beat up afterwards

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

So much like any other non original 6 team then

Flyers have one of the best fanbases, but have also had a lot of great players throughout the years. So I dunno if they count.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

hell yeah

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
big game tonight

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
my hockey story is I once got to play against John Carlson in some east coast travel team thing and he absolutely poo poo on us

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 24, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

i am the bird posted:

So is the Knight going to battle an American flag or what?

I hope they kill Trump at center ice

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

glynnenstein posted:

You may want to rephrase that to be more clear. I mean, they don't have to travel very far to ask you to in person. lol

ATTENTION SECRET SERVICE: I MEAN IN EFFIGY THANK YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I can't believe it. This finals is gonna rule so hard. Great story no matter who wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
On the one hand, Vegas is a good team and MAF has traditionally owned the Caps and he's been real hot this postseason. On the other hand, the Caps have vanquished all their demons this year and also continue to defy expectations. Going through Pittsburgh and the Lightning is a huge testament to them. It's gonna be a great finals.

• Locked thread