Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FBS posted:

the username fluidity is one of the oddest things about this place tbh
Most places have a lot more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

FBS posted:

hey wow it's like Reaves isn't that great
without his protection crosby was only able to score 20 points in 12 games this year.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lessail posted:

The clock is inching closer to midnight :smith:
It's Game 1 dude.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Vakal posted:

What story?

"Hey, we got to hand pick all of our players which let us put together four solid lines with no real weaknesses which is really hard for other teams to compete with, but by next season we will be dealing with contracts expiring and the other things that the regular teams have to deal with and our overall effectiveness will probably be much lower."

Truly an underdog tale for the ages.
Its pretty hard to get good first liners and top pairing defensemen when teams can protect 7 forwards and 3 defensemen.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sportsnet running the story: after years of being really angry to Ovechkin in the playoffs for really dumb reasons, is it time to do the same to Stamkos? Conclusion is yes

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

i am the bird posted:

I get why folks are writing Capitals-in-the-finals pieces, but I don’t get the few that are assuming it’s inevitable based on Games 1 and 2. Tampa looks totally disinterested but this is still a team that could win the next 4. If they win tonight, we’re going to suddenly see a bunch of articles questioning whether the Caps have the resiliency to ‘bounce back’ for Game 4.
This is all of sports writing.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

iospace posted:

Am I the only one offended by the "Cindarella Story" moniker that people are using for the Golden Knights? I despise them and this the disturbing trend of using that phrase to describe their season. I get scoffed at every time I say it and I don't get why people are so behind them and using it because they aren't a "Cindarella Story".

If any team is a Cinderella Story... it's the Winnipeg Jets. (And no, I'm not a Jets fan. I am a Canucks fan to my core, but I've jumped on their playoff bandwagon)

If anything, the team in Vegas can only be described as privledged. They were given an unfair advantage when a group of moronic owners ok'd expansion draft terms that essentially robbed other teams of good players.

The Knights didn't have to start from bare bones and build and they have no idea what it means to HAVE to do it. They didn't have to move in a struggling team and turn it golden. It was handed directly to them. They (and their fans) haven't been underdogs... they haven't paid their dues and put the work in... they haven't had to suffer decades of disapointment, face overwhelming adversity or claw their way to the top like the Winnipeg Jets and their fans.

So I say again... The WINNIPEG JETS are the TRUE Cinderella Story (As are the Caps) and every other team and fan in the NHL should be offended by the Vegas Golden Knights and that description.
Jesus Christ.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Im on mobile so I cant bring up the full list but

J-F Berube
Luca Sbisa
Alexi Emelin
Bellmare

Are some of the guys he picked. And half of the total 30 guys he picked are like that. loving trash.
They traded Emelin for a 3rd rounder, which is a very good result. Berube was the result of the trade with the Islanders where Vegas agreed to pick him and got a 1st and 2nd out of. Most teams, including the Flyers and Canucks, had jack poo poo available.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Neuvirth is a relatively expensive older injury prone backup who was coming off a terrible season. Picking him would've prevented them from getting Subban, a more valuable player. I think it's insane to pretend that Gallant didn't have any say in who was picked, and he very obviously likes both Bellemare and Sbisa. While I would say that Gallant is good, I don't think his Florida stint really lends credence to the possibility of him being some magic coach who will turn all these 3rd liners into 30 goal men. Removing any credit to McPhee for putting together a super successful team made up of castoffs while also acquiring a bunch of picks just shows how worthless this kind of evaluation of GMs is.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
No one will be surprised if they regress, but "something to prove" isn't the reason for poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Blaming Stamkos for this series is the dumbest loving thing.

• Locked thread