Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Canada is cool because it's like America Lite. Everyone up there moves and thinks a little slower and that makes them friendlier, like a nice puppy. Not to mention they all talk like lovable cartoon people. Canadians don't have those rough edges that Americans have from dealing with and fixing all the problems around the world.

hmmm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Got my free street party tickets cause I'll actually be in Winnipeg this weekend while a game is on

There's actual game tickets available but I am too poor to afford $317/ticket for nosebleeds

I wonder if they will actually be able to limit it to 22 000 people. Six PM start on a Saturday and it's supposed to be nice weather.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Probably should use PKs quote about going to Boston and taking it away from the fans

And RINNE RINNE RINNE it's all your fault

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Did nobody post this?

https://twitter.com/BarSouthNCelly/status/996366356911042565

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Maurice said he was talking to Ehlers not Laine. He also told a story about the first time he used the "or do that" was when he was yelling at Geoff Sanderson to shoot the puck and instead he deked three guys and roofed it.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Jets desperately need to come out and play a full 60 minute game, they looked slow and lost for the first period and half the second. MAF isn't going to fold and suddenly let in 4 goals and let them catch up.

It seems like the Jets have been caught on bad lines changes a lot. They need to clean that up.

Also I want Scheifele's record setting to continue, so the Jets need to win.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Knights succeeded in spite of a lot of what McPhee did.

Not sure you award the Jets for finally not coming in way below expectations when they didn't do much different and still have the terrible coach responsible.

Tampa by default?

But the reason the expectations of the Jets are so high is because of the work done by Chevyldayoff. There's only five guys on the team that he isn't directly responsible for: Wheeler, Buff, Little, Enstrom, and Chiarot. And even then he's resigned those guys while letting other dead weight go (Ladd v Buff). The main criticism that can be directed at Chevy I think is that he took too long to get a decent goalie.

Chevy took one of the worst franchises in the league and turned it into one of the best. And it doesn't seem like a flash in the pan sort of season that won't be repeated.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but it's GM of this year.

If not for Maurice he should have had it a few years ago, but they always underperformed.

It just seems silly to rate a GM on one year. The GM's job is long term. I mean, can you go back in time and give Chevy GM of the year in 2011 for drafting Scheifele and Lowry, or 2012 for drafting Trouba and Hellebuyck? Because those draft picks are more useful to the current Jets team than any trade Chevy could have made this year.

Also I disagree with you that Maurice was the problem. The Jets have posted good possession metrics throughout his tenure. The problem was goaltending. The problem has always been goaltending for Maurice.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It actually blows my mind that a team that gives big minutes to Deryk Engelland and Luca Sbisa is really good. Either Gallant is the best coach and his system will be copied by all the other coaches, or Vegas will be mediocre next year like everyone expected. They can't actually be good defenders that have newly blossomed? (also Karlsson shooting 23 percent probably won't happen again.)

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I think the Knights did a good job of getting picks and did a great job of drafting. But it's hard not to think they got a little lucky with so many guys having a career year at the same time. Some of them will probably maintain it and others won't. But we've seen both gallant and GMGM make stupid decisions and fail in previous positions. Did they also blossom along with all the guys they picked up? Did GMGM learn something about player evaluation from the Forsberg trade?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Synthetic Hermit posted:

The article's not about the team. It's about "OMG OMG OMG people finally know Winnipeg exists!!!", with a bit of self deprecation to disguise it.

Didn't the title make it obvious?

Winnipeg is the smallest market in the NHL and generally only gets recognized as punchline about being a bad place (in Canada generally and in the NHL). So yeah people are happy with some positive attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I dunno why would a locker room be any different than other workplaces? If you don't get along with your coworkers and boss than work sucks

Also sport psychology is a thing.

• Locked thread