Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Canada is cool because it's like America Lite. Everyone up there moves and thinks a little slower and that makes them friendlier, like a nice puppy. Not to mention they all talk like lovable cartoon people. Canadians don't have those rough edges that Americans have from dealing with and fixing all the problems around the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Even worse, in the first expansion they put all the new teams in the same division so they would fight amongst their crappy selves for the honor of being destroyed by an existing team. The Blues won this honor in the first 3 years of expansion, 1968, 1969, 1970 and were suitably destroyed, swept in all 3 Cup Finals series.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I remain unwilling to not be terrified.

"The Lightning came back from 0–2 down to defeat the Capitals in six games."

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Washington has the better defenseman, too.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

That meal is arguably an upgrade. He used to eat two steaks as his pregame.

And Ovechkin is going to look just like his dad.

e:

from ESPN 2007 posted:

DP: Favorite thing about America?
AO: Filet Mignon.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 14, 2018

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Two wins against Tampa and everyone is stacking jinxes to the roof.

I am a physical manifestation of dread at this point.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Oh, look. DoPS doesn't punish a clearly dirty, clearly illegal, clearly suspension worthy hit, that would have resulted in a multi-game suspension if Tom Wilson had been the one making the hit. In fact, Wilson was suspended in the preseason of this year for several games FOR A FAR LESS DANGEROUS BOARD.

The NHL is a joke of a league, and they are playing favorites to a degree that should be criminal, and might be as soon as betting becomes legal. I can't wait for the civil suits and criminal complaints that will inevitably come when the different standards that are created for different teams and players become legally actionable due to betting being legal.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I have to break kayfabe under the weight of the irony on this one.

quote:

Garbage. Absolute garbage. He's never going to be a repeat offender if you never suspend him because he's not a repeat offender.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MANime in the sheets posted:

Uh, the draft didn't work that way.

The Caps protecting MaJo had nothing to do with Schmidt.

If you think Schmidt was worth more than losing one of Burakovsky, Wilson, or an additional 2nd & 3rd pick, then you should protect 8 instead of 7+3. Caps chose badly.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Chad Sexington posted:

And what was with Oshie and Wilson constantly falling down? Mugging for penalties? One of them set up that last Eller penalty and ultimately the GWG.

With all the rain, I suspect the ice quality is bad due to humidity.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

They should just loop that Ovie backhand saucer on the jumbotron for the next two games and declare the Caps winner of each based solely on it's magnificence.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Momentum isn't real. Bulletin-board material isn't real. Locker-room chemistry isn't real. The idea that pro athletes are there to show up and cash checks and need some sort of special motivation to excel and win exists only to fill airtime and column inches.

These things are all real and can matter at the margins. The tremendous mistake old school hockey journalists/coaches/dumb players make is believing that the degree to which they matter might outweigh a moderate or severe lack of actual hockey skill.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If Vegas does win the Cup it will be great because A) Nate Schmidt, and B) all the other GMs will be maximally shamed, especially Florida.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

iospace posted:

The "lax rules" poo poo is starting to bother me, because after the draft everyone went "this team is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck."

There's no question that it was a more generous expansion draft than in the past. Whether it was too generous is something that should be discussed, too. The fact that everyone was wrong about it before seeing the result just means that all the poo poo we throw at GMs is bullshit and we're just as dumb.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DJExile posted:

Does Vegas have to adhere to the regular cap/floor after this season? or are they already there?

I thought they got a little relief when they started up but I could be very wrong on that.

They got relief this year in that their cap minimum was 60% of the 2016-2017 cap ceiling instead of the floor that other teams have to use this year.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If this was posted I missed it, but I liked this observation from the other day. The success Vegas had has been in large part because of a few players which other GMs rated as less valuable than their self-judged 10th-ish best players.

https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/998335061249347585

Of course, Vegas didn't actually expect to do as well as they did with what they got, so pretty much everyone misjudged.

https://twitter.com/emilymkaplan/status/998320652707868672

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm tellin' ya I've been playing ice since I was a wee lad and I'm pretty good but there's ex pros that play in my A league in the summer and they can make me look like poo poo. One dude played in the OHL and had similar numbers to Trotz and he's pretty nasty.

Trotz would make your average beer leaguer look like poo poo probably even in A leagues with good d3 players.

I can't even imagine how good NHL players are. We have a goon goalie whose name escapes me who practices sometimes with NHLers over the summer and I'm kinda envious even though said players would make me look worse than a cone.

I was playing pickup long ago years after playing prep and low level college. I defended the other team's obviously best player a few times and held my own, which I was happy with. Then one rush he sped up and just went around me effortlessly, I barely touched him, and he scored without the keeper having any chance. In the locker room later I was told he'd been a pro in the Czech league and just held back most of the time so as not to ruin it for everyone.

I hope that is what the Capitals have been doing.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

You may want to rephrase that to be more clear. I mean, they don't have to travel very far to ask you to in person. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm gonna report MAF to the secret service and hope they can dig something up on him.

• Locked thread