Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Can’t believe anyone who’s not a full time Bolts fan would want them to win over any of the other first time Cup options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Slappy Pappy posted:

But it was a genuine something. Kucherov needs therapy. He was projecting his anger about getting whooped onto Connolly’s ankle. A licensed professional could teach him some breathing exercises or another alternative coping mechanism.

Kuch sees the same offseason shrink as Marchie, so I’m sure he’ll find ways to cope :-P

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Slappy Pappy posted:

but LOL at anyone who said TB had a clear goaltending advantage coming into the series.

i don't think anyone said this?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

And Ovechkin is going to look just like his dad.

haha

Chad Sexington posted:

Russian Machine Never Diets.

heh heh

god drat OV is just so lovable, i really have no qualms about the caps winning one cup. no more than that, but one is fine

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

for many years i worried that if any pro sports player would ever let jeering get to them, it would be MAF. and he received a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of jeering

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/OozyKuzy/status/996480422530994176?s=20

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

MAFdemption

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

No, the narrative that they are a bunch of rejects playing over their heads to spite someone like Major League is stupid as hell

I’m all aboard the analytics train and think most instances of INTANGIBLES and GRIT are bogus, but I also think it’s absurd to think that attitude and other emotional factors are irrelevant for pro athletes

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Winnipeg Looks for Respect, on the Ice and Off It

https://nyti.ms/2Iw26m9

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

DJExile posted:

the caps are also up against a goddamn buzzsaw of a Tampa Bay team, it's not like this is all Washington's fault

OTOH they took a 2-0 lead on the road

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Not gonna lie I really didn’t think Vegas would beat the Jets, pretty cool though

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

In light of this "boo hoo VGK had it too easy, this league is a joke" whining, I decided to pull some choice quotes from shortly after the expansion draft, courtesy of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780857&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=54

ThinkTank posted:

GMGM is doing exactly what that guy said he would. Deliberately selecting nothing players so as not to upset his rival GMs as he knows full well he has to make a bunch of trades with them over the next few years. He's prioritizing his job over the franchise. Understandable from a personal perspective, but I'm surprised the NHL is okay with this given that they deliberately tried to make it so Vegas could start with an alright roster this time and not flounder around for 3-5 seasons like every other expansion franchise.

ThinkTank posted:

GMGM doesn't want to piss anyone off. He could have a borderline playoff roster today if he'd chosen to be aggressive. Instead he has a really, really historically lovely team. Maybe a tad better than Columbus or Atlanta's inaugural teams, but not much and that was definitely not what the league was going for.

Kilza posted:

I know that we knew the Vegas roster was not going to be as good as it could have been, but I'm sure we didn't expect it to be this bad.

a false posted:

also this team is going to have a lot of trouble scoring. but i guess for the sake of the future of the franchise maybe tanking the first season out the gate rather than trying to scratch and claw your way to a 5-10-pts-out-of-playoffs-finish isn't the worst idea, especially if 2018 is shaping up to be a strong draft. most other modern expansion franchises were rear end to a historical degree in their first seasons anyway

techno allah posted:

If the NHL knew that Vegas was going to draft this bad i'm sure they would have given them the 1st pick in the draft. I almost feel bad for them

sleep with the vicious posted:

Vgk look terrible and anyone who says different is deluding themselves

a false posted:

why does it even matter in their first year post expansion. they were never going to be drafting a playoff team

sleep with the vicious posted:

No it doesn't matter, I just read a few posts saying they'd be competitive or wild card and there's just no way

Ligur posted:

Who could they have drafted to be much better than this anyway. Of course there will be SUCK.

Mike_V posted:

Obviously they were not going to be good, but let's not pretend this team isn't significantly worse than what it could have been.

Darude -Adam Sandstorm posted:

But they don't want to be any good. They want a few good players to excite fans and a bunch of stuff they could easily trade.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

if they had flipped some of their weird draft choices for better players and had a lucky season, they could have potentially been a wild card bubble team. maybe if everything went their way i could have seen like a 10% chance of them making the playoffs. based on what GMGM has done in the past 24 hrs, i think it's more like a 1% chance

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

kawalimus is my favorite poster tbh

I agree fully

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

he just chiming in to say that hockey is fun live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Imo no bad outcome for the scf. Vegas is max comedy and chaos option, which is hard to deny. But ovi is the poo poo and should get a cup.

My heart kind of wants VGK just for the absurdity. But I think this will be the first round where everyone has accepted that they’re the real deal and not just a novelty, which narratively makes sense that it would be when they’ve finally earned respect that they lose, so yeah

• Locked thread