Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It looks chill, I'm watching someone play the project 1999 thing of it. Anyone play it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BBG will play EQ with you at the slightest provocation.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

IDK, never played it op, but a lot of old MMOs were actually good so probably.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i wish i had the money i do now as an adult when i was 10 so i could have played mmos every waking hour of my life

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
It was one of the best games of all time

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Played a bit of it a while back, it's pretty fun with friends but there's always the grind that isn't fun

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

i wish i had the money i do now as an adult when i was 10 so i could have played mmos every waking hour of my life

I made do with ragnarok online private servers but I wonder what my life would have been like if I had access to the real heavy hitters like everquest, world of warcraft, ff11, etc

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ultima Online was better.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wow was better

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yolomancer posted:

Ultima Online was better.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

wow was better

Cool. Take it to the jack off megathread in Games where you assbags belong. The OP is asking about Everquest. Nobody cares that you first cybered with a 50 year old man in World of Warcraft, bitch.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
The reason Everquest was cool was death actually meant something, all the classes felt super unique, the world was huge, and it felt like an actual world. I’m not sure if they ever made an MMO as big as EQ.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I wish I could go back to the late 90s/early 00s when MMORPGs were amazing and kind of magical at a conceptual level. Just the initial experience of interacting with hundreds of fantasy characters being controlled by real people all at once was an incredible feeling.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I made do with ragnarok online private servers but I wonder what my life would have been like if I had access to the real heavy hitters like everquest, world of warcraft, ff11, etc

probably the same except instead youd make a lot of posts about gaming with your girlfriend

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm much happier with online games now where they're shared experiences that are also mechanically tight. Instead of having to pay 15 dollars a month to play Diablo 2 but it takes 3 days to get one drop.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

probably the same except instead youd make a lot of posts about gaming with your girlfriend

[shuddering] glad I dodged a bullet there.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

I'm much happier with online games now where they're shared experiences that are also mechanically tight. Instead of having to pay 15 dollars a month to play Diablo 2 but it takes 3 days to get one drop.

Yeah I'm definitely a lot happier getting into a matchmade instance in some kneecapped pseudo-MMO like Destiny where a dozen people just wander around grinding in a completely sterile environment afraid to interact in any way because they don't want their account banned by a trigger-happy algorithm, it's so much better than exploring a massive virtual world for the very first time and meeting new people who are also exploring a massive virtual world for the very first time and making friends out of the blue or arguing with several random people at once in zone chat over which lovely nu-metal band is better or w/e... NOT!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yeah I'm definitely a lot happier getting into a matchmade instance in some kneecapped pseudo-MMO like Destiny where a dozen people just wander around grinding in a completely sterile environment afraid to interact in any way because they don't want their account banned by a trigger-happy algorithm, it's so much better than exploring a massive virtual world meeting new people and making friends out of the blue or arguing with several random people at once in zone chat over which lovely nu-metal band is better or w/e... NOT!

I dont play destiny, I just play COD and Splatoon.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Honestly tho, the biggest injustice is seeing City of Heroes shut down in this age of neverending superhero movies. It had the most complex character creator and movesets.. it would've eventually made a billion dollars if it just stuck around a few more years. RIP.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

I dont play destiny, I just play COD and Splatoon.

Good. I got Destiny 2 for $9 and I feel ripped off lol.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Honestly tho, the biggest injustice is seeing City of Heroes shut down in this age of neverending superhero movies. It had the most complex character creator and movesets.. it would've eventually made a billion dollars if it just stuck around a few more years. RIP.

This is a really good point. Something that isn't really acknowledged so much about the initial success and rapid growth of World of Warcraft and Everquest II was that they both launched right as the LOTR trilogy hype was dying down and people were still thirsting for that particular style of high fantasy. The relationship and mixing between film and game audiences and demographics can be an odd one.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
it was some of my favorite times gaming op.

my friend got married in eq. a feat they never managed in real life

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Cool. Take it to the jack off megathread in Games where you assbags belong. The OP is asking about Everquest. Nobody cares that you first cybered with a 50 year old man in World of Warcraft, bitch.

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That said, what I've heard of Ultima Online does indeed make it sound like it would of been the most epic MMO I ever played but I was into watching someone else playing EQ for an hour even though I fell asleep, due to the chillness.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
It's awesome if you have the patience for it, OP

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

everquest is different now but it's still epic if you just set it to the old graphics and play with imps

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

ever quest seemed cool, as does Ultima online. I should have gotten into those

I only ever played final Fantasy xi right when it was brand new so it was real grindy but it was the hot new poo poo at the time so the community was pretty good at the time. I tried playing it years later but it was super weird that it wasn't grindy

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

EQ bards had this neat mechanic where you “juggled” up to three songs/buffs. Never really attacked or cast spells, just keep your three buffs up and stay hidden.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I wish I could go back to the late 90s/early 00s when MMORPGs were amazing and kind of magical at a conceptual level. Just the initial experience of interacting with hundreds of fantasy characters being controlled by real people all at once was an incredible feeling.

This. I never played EQ but I played a lot of Dark Age of Camelot in high school and it felt like a whole new world of gaming

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
it was probably terrible, op, but everyone who played it did so for 5000 hours straight and will tell you it was awesome so they dont kill themselves

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

it was probably terrible, op, but everyone who played it did so for 5000 hours straight and will tell you it was awesome so they dont kill themselves

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

That said, what I've heard of Ultima Online does indeed make it sound like it would of been the most epic MMO I ever played but I was into watching someone else playing EQ for an hour even though I fell asleep, due to the chillness.

It was really dope, I played back when there was still world PVP and had a farm house with some other guys where we played as rednecks. We would piss ppl off and make them chase us back to our house then lock them out and go on the balcony and throw molotov cocktails at them . Everyone was extremely rude in that game lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

this is how i see mmos in general

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

like someone else said early mmos were the best cause it was new to play fully 3d worlds like that with other real life people. it was wild

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

extremebuff posted:

this is how i see mmos in general

Its incredibly different in modern MMOs, now you get tokens and crafting materials and stuff that let you pick what you want so you can trade them in every three days to get one drop

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I played vanilla WoW and it was epic so I bet I would of liked EQ.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I played ffxi which was heavily based on eq (the producer made the devs play eq for months) and its the most fun ive had in a game in spite of how grindy and frustrating it could be.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This is a really good point. Something that isn't really acknowledged so much about the initial success and rapid growth of World of Warcraft and Everquest II was that they both launched right as the LOTR trilogy hype was dying down and people were still thirsting for that particular style of high fantasy. The relationship and mixing between film and game audiences and demographics can be an odd one.

The matrix MMO should've kicked rear end but it didn't.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Frenz posted:

I played ffxi which was heavily based on eq (the producer made the devs play eq for months) and its the most fun ive had in a game in spite of how grindy and frustrating it could be.

yes exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fargield posted:

The matrix MMO should've kicked rear end but it didn't.

Has any new game come out that even tangentially pulls from the matrix? the closest thing I can think of is uhhhh, superhot.