Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

In the browser game Legend of the Green Dragon I became the richest player in the entire game world because my 10 year old mind wanted to know what happened when you offered a negative amount of money to the town wishing well. When I started getting whispers from the next richest people in the game asking how I had come up with such wealth so quickly I told them I just worked really hard and earned it.

wasn’t this just a bug from the bbs game legend of the red dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also there was a different nm that no one bothered camping that dropped a greatsword that sold for 70-80k gil that spawned on an hour timer. i used to farm it periodically because i played classes that had a hard time making money without deep diving into crafting and it was an easy way to make pocket money while i was doing other stuff. anyway in the zone with the monster there was a grate where you could see low level monsters that were like three minutes of walking away and linked, so i'd use ranged attacks to hit one and a few minutes later he'd show up with like 20-30 buddies and i'd kill them for something to do while i waited for the monster to spawn.

so anyway one day im farming the weapon while i played like re4 or something on my tv and it takes a couple tries to get the monster to spawn, so i do the grate thing for something to do and the monsters never show up. i stand around going huh, wonder what happened and then someone goes in shout and yells WHO THE gently caress AGGROED THOSE GUYS? i run around the corner to see whats up and theres like five dead low-level pcs on the ground. i talk with one of them for a bit and i guess they were all partied up, someone saw one of them coming around the corner and took a potshot, and the other 20-30 of them showed up and slam dunked the whole group

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

I bought the 7th anniversary version of the game and it came with some special sword you could only get with that version and I believe unlike everything else in the game it couldn't be stolen from you and wasn't dropped on death. It could, however, be broken, and while items could be repaired they were lost forever if their durability hit 0. The sword had some active ability that you could invoke upon right-clicking it , which used up some durability -- I didn't know any of this because it was my first day playing and I was 12 and I was running around town with my fancy sword and some guys told me I could make it do something special if I spammed right-click on it, so I did and it broke and disappeared forever.

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I bought the 7th anniversary version of the game and it came with some special sword you could only get with that version and I believe unlike everything else in the game it couldn't be stolen from you and wasn't dropped on death. It could, however, be broken, and while items could be repaired they were lost forever if their durability hit 0. The sword had some active ability that you could invoke upon right-clicking it , which used up some durability -- I didn't know any of this because it was my first day playing and I was 12 and I was running around town with my fancy sword and some guys told me I could make it do something special if I spammed right-click on it, so I did and it broke and disappeared forever.

Fungah! posted:

also there was a different nm that no one bothered camping that dropped a greatsword that sold for 70-80k gil that spawned on an hour timer. i used to farm it periodically because i played classes that had a hard time making money without deep diving into crafting and it was an easy way to make pocket money while i was doing other stuff. anyway in the zone with the monster there was a grate where you could see low level monsters that were like three minutes of walking away and linked, so i'd use ranged attacks to hit one and a few minutes later he'd show up with like 20-30 buddies and i'd kill them for something to do while i waited for the monster to spawn.

so anyway one day im farming the weapon while i played like re4 or something on my tv and it takes a couple tries to get the monster to spawn, so i do the grate thing for something to do and the monsters never show up. i stand around going huh, wonder what happened and then someone goes in shout and yells WHO THE gently caress AGGROED THOSE GUYS? i run around the corner to see whats up and theres like five dead low-level pcs on the ground. i talk with one of them for a bit and i guess they were all partied up, someone saw one of them coming around the corner and took a potshot, and the other 20-30 of them showed up and slam dunked the whole group

Lmao

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

elf help book posted:

it was a humiliating and depressing game to play

I needed a way to make money bad and chose fishing and realized, for it to be worth it, I had to do the lu shang's quest (catch 10,000 Moat Carp) and it took me exactly 2 months of fishing for 3+ hours a day. The rod was completely sick though.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Frenz posted:

I needed a way to make money bad and chose fishing and realized, for it to be worth it, I had to do the lu shang's quest (catch 10,000 Moat Carp) and it took me exactly 2 months of fishing for 3+ hours a day. The rod was completely sick though.

That quest is awesome because the game actively mocks you for completing it by awarding you this key item along with the rod:

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Fungah! posted:

When I was a little nub sauce in Yhoator Jungle my party had some downtime and there was a tiny pool in the cave we were camped in so I started to fish. I ended up catching a monster which destroyed me then chased my party to the zone line. The zone was in a narrow tunnel where several other parties were camped and the monster killed them all repeatedly on its way back until a higher level player came along and took care of it.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Kongming posted:

That quest is awesome because the game actively mocks you for completing it by awarding you this key item along with the rod:

Lmfao I totally forgot about that.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i never played asherons call but i wish i did because i read an article about how pve mobs gained xp for killing players and there was a guild that fed mobs in a dungeon so that no one could beat it and trigger some big world event

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Kongming posted:

Lmfao

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Dongslayer. posted:

i never played asherons call but i wish i did because i read an article about how pve mobs gained xp for killing players and there was a guild that fed mobs in a dungeon so that no one could beat it and trigger some big world event

That game was cool because there was a world magic meter and if a lot of players used the same spell, let’s say Fire, it weakened over time, so you can to make or use new or weirder spells.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kongming posted:

Jesus christ lol

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Tbf that quest also gave you the title "The Immortal Fisher, Lu Shang" which was badass.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

lmfao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

one time my brother's older friend was visiting and he was playing this screen saver game that we had on our family computer, a mac. it was a pretty cool asteroids game where you fought space pirates and mined for minerals. anyway, he was playing and i was telling him about stuff in the game, and intentionally lied and said that "A" was the super missile button, when it was really the button that made your ship blow up and quit the run. he pressed it, causing the ship to explode, and was like "What the hell... why would you do something like that?" in this really disappointed voice, not even mad. i don't think i'd ever felt that bad in my life.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Fishing rods could break in FFXI as well and Lu Shang's was no exception although only very specific giant fish could ever break it. If it did break you had two options: Give an NPC some materials for him to repair it for you or you can repair it yourself with nothing other than a light crystal if you had Woodworking leveled super high. Well, crafting stuff had an animation where you would kneel down and use the crystal and it would play a little animation of the crystal spinning around before the craft would complete. Crafts could fail which would result in the crystal shattering and the crystal would be lost and sometimes the materials, but Lu Shang's was special because the rod would never be lost from the crystal breaking no matter what...unless you someone casts a cure spell on you while you're in the crystal spinning animation, which 100% causes failure of craft along with all materials, Lu Shang's included.

They later patched in a command that allowed you to block incoming cure spells from people outside your party to prevent this from happening, but it makes me wonder why they can't stop it from working like that in the first place.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

lol owned. that sucks though

actually i remembered that i was good friends with a rogue who left the guild where the guild leader was having an affair with a member. thinking back maybe it was some weird open relationship thing, they had a pet boa or some kind of constricting snake so maybe they were poly weirdos. anyway he invited me to help him and his new guild complete his rogue epic

finishing the rogue epic involved going to a mid-low level evil forest. you hand off all the quest items you collected, a boss appears, and then you beat it and the rogue hands in the final item to the quest giver to get their epic.

he gave the item to the wrong npc, losing it forever and forcing him to start the quest over again. he tells everyone "uh... i hosed up" and everyone is consoling him and i say

"ganwen, we've been talking and we think now is the perfect time to discuss all of your current faults and past failures" which got a lol out of everyone and cheered him up a bit. the rogue epic was the easiest one so he wasnt too bummed out. i think some rogues even did it twice for fun. just to get a second dagger or because the epic was so common and so were the raids you needed to do for it that you could just end up doing it twice by accident.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Kongming posted:

Fishing rods could break in FFXI as well and Lu Shang's was no exception although only very specific giant fish could ever break it. If it did break you had two options: Give an NPC some materials for him to repair it for you or you can repair it yourself with nothing other than a light crystal if you had Woodworking leveled super high. Well, crafting stuff had an animation where you would kneel down and use the crystal and it would play a little animation of the crystal spinning around before the craft would complete. Crafts could fail which would result in the crystal shattering and the crystal would be lost and sometimes the materials, but Lu Shang's was special because the rod would never be lost from the crystal breaking no matter what...unless you someone casts a cure spell on you while you're in the crystal spinning animation, which 100% causes failure of craft along with all materials, Lu Shang's included.

They later patched in a command that allowed you to block incoming cure spells from people outside your party to prevent this from happening, but it makes me wonder why they can't stop it from working like that in the first place.

Holy poo poo. I never knew that having cure cast on you during a craft would cause it to fail. Maybe people somehow hadn't discovered that yet when I played? I remember the thing to watch out for when repairing the rod was if you were riding on the ferry: if it zoned to port while you were crafting you had a chance of losing everything.

Anyway I got fishing to level 96 of 100 but stopped leveling it because some of the lv100 legendary fish would break the lu shang's rod and the quest to get it repaired was a pain in the rear end and leveling woodworking to, iirc, lv96 seemed insane to me.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sector_corrector posted:

one time my brother's older friend was visiting and he was playing this screen saver game that we had on our family computer, a mac. it was a pretty cool asteroids game where you fought space pirates and mined for minerals. anyway, he was playing and i was telling him about stuff in the game, and intentionally lied and said that "A" was the super missile button, when it was really the button that made your ship blow up and quit the run. he pressed it, causing the ship to explode, and was like "What the hell... why would you do something like that?" in this really disappointed voice, not even mad. i don't think i'd ever felt that bad in my life.

lunatic fringe??

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

b_d posted:

lunatic fringe??

lol, yeah. it was thin pickings for mac gaming in the early 90s.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Kongming posted:

Omfg rofl how did I never hear about this

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARghlVjBab0

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

wasn’t this just a bug from the bbs game legend of the red dragon

I haven’t a clue.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sector_corrector posted:

You were trying to get back at him for making you use the off-brand controller and I don't blame you

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

in everquest I played an Enchanter which was the coolest class and something that couldn't exist anymore because all they did was give people haste and MP regen, and use crowd control spells and very weak damage over time, and then have all the charm spells. Anyways, it took me probably 2 IRL months just to get to like level 16, and then I finally got invited to a cool guild. THe name of the guild was "Shining Path" and there was a light roleplaying element to it, (very few evil-aligned characters, lots of priests and paladins and druids and shamans (the holy classes)).

ANyways, the leader of the guild's name was ElChe, and it turned out he was a big socialist guy IRL and he had named the guild after the much-maligned communist party of peru (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_Path) anyways after like a year of playing ElChe disappeared for 3 weeks when we were supposed to be making some big moves like entering the God's Plains (plane of power, plane of fear, plane of mischief etc) which were like heavens and hells of endgame content. Then it came out that he had been interrogated by the FBI and they had confiscated his work and home computers based on our guild's personal website and forums, which law enforcement had interpreted as some kind of secret code about terrorist plots and like they were citing specific posts by people in the guild talking about like which "mobs' needed to be neutralized and us needing to backstab people at critical moments and things like that.

also i was like 13 years old and my character's name was Illusioneer Grandeur which is forreal the gayest thing ever

Lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

In EQ I was wandering around a more obscure part of the city freeport and came across a guy acting weird. Turns out he was trying to transfer some gear over to his other character - some ppl would drop bags of their stuff in less traveled areas and logon to their other character to pick it up and hope nobody found and stole the bags in the meantime.

So I offered to help, and we do the transfer, and to thank me he gives me 20k platinum - a pretty huge sum of money, and way more than I had ever had at that point in the game, he must have been really rich. I was so excited I got an adrenaline rush and when when I went into the kitchen to check on a pizza I just cooked I forgot that the pizza stone was still extremely hot and burned the gently caress out my hands.

But I also wanted to get back to the bank as soon as possible to deposit my platinum, so with extremely painful burns on my hands I started the walk to the bank but it was so much platinum that my character got encumbered and moved at the slowest possible speed and it took like an hour

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lol at all the stories but especially the UO ones. It sounds like the closest gaming has ever come to capturing the madness of tabletop rpgs

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i played everquest when i was 13 and a few times people tried to cyber with me and i would go with it for like 1-2 back and forths and eventually id just be frazzled and have no idea what to do so id say, "uh... im 13" and they would freak out

or adults would talk about banking interest rates and id want to be part of the conversation and say dumb poo poo like "yeah i get 5% at my bank" and then people would /tell me asking which bank i was with and id have to come up with an excuse for why i couldnt tell them

being 13 and playing an mmorpg was fun because people just assumed you were an adult if you didnt talk about school or stuff

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Kongming posted:

l,mao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Lol at all the stories but especially the UO ones. It sounds like the closest gaming has ever come to capturing the madness of tabletop rpgs

from what ive ever heard about it its the dream game you always wanted to play as a child where you can just do anything and theres no rules. but i was too busy playing quake on my 56k modem with a ball mouse to ever experience it so im just going to assume it was actually a heaping turd and im lucky to have missed out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i know a friend who went missing at age 10 or so for almost a full year because his parents grounded him and hid the cables for his PC so he couldnt play UO

only reason he got caught is because a librarian noticed it was weird that a little kid spent 10 hours a day there playing UO on a diet comprised of coke and doritos and they called the police.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

As teenagers, two of my friends, brothers, got heavily addicted to EQ. One played during the day and the other at night. Apparently the younger (17y/o), night shift brother got deep into some hosed up affair with a 40 year old woman in the guild. You’d see him running in circles in some obviously safe zone just chatting with this woman. We kept telling him how hosed up the thing was and he wouldn’t listen. Eventually the woman mailed him a “care package” full of candy and poo poo with a 5 page letter about how she wanted him to move to Colorado. Their mom was the one to receive the package and open it. As soon as she finished the letter, she cancelled their EQ account and their internet. The tears flowed that night.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

i know a friend who went missing at age 10 or so for almost a full year because his parents grounded him and hid the cables for his PC so he couldnt play UO

only reason he got caught is because a librarian noticed it was weird that a little kid spent 10 hours a day there playing UO on a diet comprised of coke and doritos and they called the police.
The librarian was playing UO and got mad cause the kid ganked them.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I wasted a ton of time on this game but considering my surroundings during adolescence and my options I could have made worse choices.

Before they implemented maps you'd have to learn your way through certain zones and remember landmarks. People would hang around in their down time and teach others how to navigate to Old Sebelis (sp?) and help people obtain keys to certain zones. I had to camp the pegasus for the mage epic and wasted countless hours. Having to recruit a group of people to help finish some ridiculous part of a quest involved more organization and coordination of people than I've ever had to apply in the real world, which is both absurd and sad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yiggy posted:

I wasted a ton of time on this game but considering my surroundings during adolescence and my options I could have made worse choices.

The gamer with a dark past...

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
EverQuest was good because it taught me hard repetitive work is not worth it so I made sure to pick a good college major.

Also it was very much a game where you could get hosed up easy at most levels and just generally couldn't dick around. A working mans mmo?

Best activity was seeing how deep into the poo poo you could get a level one character with like float or run fast or whatever the gently caress.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

French Canadian posted:

EverQuest was good because it taught me hard repetitive work is not worth it so I made sure to pick a good college major.

Also it was very much a game where you could get hosed up easy at most levels and just generally couldn't dick around. A working mans mmo?

Best activity was seeing how deep into the poo poo you could get a level one character with like float or run fast or whatever the gently caress.
All I did was dick around for 4 years

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
you could pretty easily solo melee poo poo even as a caster up to like levels 5-6 but around that point the mobs leveled up way faster than your character and you were forced to join groups and start socializing. i remember being a dumbass with my first character and just charging headfirst into enemies and getting my rear end kicked nonstop until someone was like "hey, your corpses are everywhere you wanna join us?"

like necros and druids were the best for soloing because they could cast spells that slowed an enemy's movement speed and then stack a bunch of damage over time spells on them. so they could slow, cast several dots, and then run away and meditate for a bit

that was viable but pretty slow. also boring, i never got the people who played that way.

one of the cool aspects of everquest was that wizards and druids had group teleportation spells. druids could teleport between stonehenge style rock circles and wizards went to platforms or magic crystals, i forget. but they would charge for it, or as an enchanter i could offer them a mana buff, and the game had its own built in taxi service that was fairly affordable since it was a common thing for mid level casters to do.

i just remembered that any caster couldnt meditate without sitting and opening their spell book until level 30. you were completely blind whenever you wanted to recharge mana until you hit 30, and then you just automatically meditated every time you sat down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
early on i met up with my irl friend and they were camping a guard they knew they could kill to gain enough faction to go into the opposing town. that blew my mind