Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ultima Online was better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Cool. Take it to the jack off megathread in Games where you assbags belong. The OP is asking about Everquest. Nobody cares that you first cybered with a 50 year old man in World of Warcraft, bitch.

Assbags, hey? What on God's Green Earth is that supposed to mean? Are you calling us a pair of trousers? Or perhaps you're implying that we're some sort of colostomy bag? That's interesting, considering colostomy bags are generally used to collect waste products, not all that dissimilar to the barren wasteland known as your skull.

Here's a thought: I'll talk about what I goddamned want, when I goddamned want, you tone policing little fag. Did you actually believe that your whiny bullshit would change anything? Anything at all? Maybe it's served you well before, when you chastised your downy binrat oval office of a mother for getting the wrong flavour of cereal from Walmart. After all, snookums gets what snookums wants. Maybe that's where you got your little sheriff's badge from, too. But of course, as you've made abundantly clear, that's not the only mistake she's ever made -- nor the most useless thing that your family has ever pulled out of a box.

It is entirely reasonable to discuss the MMORPG -- namely Ultima Online -- that was the progenitor to Everquest, in a thread about Everquest. I know you're not too bright, so at this point I'll mention that progenitor means something that came before something else. Before you arrive at the wrong conclusion, no, this does not mean that the denizens of the local truck stop were a progenitor to your father, even if the drifters and drivers may have arrived at climax inside your whore of a mother. In this context, came actually means something else entirely.

With all that being said, it was good of you to stop by to collect an rear end loving. And on Mother's Day, no less. I'm sure she'll be delighted at such a thoughtful gift, a timely reminder of pleasant memories from her youth. And if she ever loses it, then all she'll need to do is look at her turd of a son.

You really thought of everything.

Yolomancer fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 13, 2018

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wormskull posted:

That said, what I've heard of Ultima Online does indeed make it sound like it would of been the most epic MMO I ever played but I was into watching someone else playing EQ for an hour even though I fell asleep, due to the chillness.

I can recommend checking out Fansy the Bard if you want to read some epic Everquest tales. I knew a bunch of sites for UO too but they all appear to be gone now. I can share some tales here, if you like, but you may have already read them at the other place, that shall remain unnamed.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wormskull posted:

Greetings H dog.

Sup, Edwinster.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wormskull posted:

I remember all the tales and the one of the site of the famous UO Role player so I just wanted to know more about EQ.

Fansy was a dude in Everquest who played a bard on a PvP server. He levelled his bard high enough that it could use the bard song for increased movespeed, but not high enough level to be attacked by other players. He would then go into high level zones, aggro a bunch of sand giants (they were reasonably fast, hard hitting monsters) and then train them on unsuspecting players, all the while shouting in local chat about scoring one for the good guys. It's, as they say, good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a few UO stories.

Most of my UO experience was on player run shards because back in the day, most people in Australia only had dial up and UO wasn't very fun to play when you had a ping above 300ms.

Each of the player run shards were run on a particular set of server emulation software, each of which had their own little set of quirks.

On one server I played on, the little red one tile boxes you could make with carpentry skill were impassable by ghosts, but they would decay after 30 minutes if left on the ground. One day I decided to see how long I could keep someone stuck on the same tile. I killed someone, then before he could move, I dropped a box in each cardinal direction, making him completely unable to move in any direction. Once he realised he was stuck, the OoOOOOOOooOOO's began. I told him that if he was able to answer my question he'd be allowed to leave. I asked him how many fish steaks I had in my backpack. He answered, of course, O. I said to him, "I'm afraid I have more than zero fish steaks, friend." Then I teleported away. But it didn't end there. I set a recurring 29 minute timer with my watch. Every 29 minutes I'd recall into the same spot, refresh the boxes, then teleport away again. I did this for hours. I came back like 4 hours later, thinking surely he would have given up by now, but nope, still more ghost spam. After 8 hours I had to go to sleep, so I told a buddy to cover me, gave him the rune. He kept it going for me while I slept. In total I think the dude was stuck there for a few days. Good times.

On another server I played on, the devs had coded in global chat and an in-game messaging system. This is important later. One day, while doing my usual murder run (that is, recalling off all the runes I'd made for PKing people) I came across this dude in Brit GY. I killed him, took his poo poo, didn't think much of it. Well, he was rather unhappy about this turn of events and started flaming me in global chat. So I decided to make him a special project. I started stalking him on my stealth PK. He'd often go to the Ogre island in Despise with his mates. They seemed pretty new to the game. They'd often throw a rune on the ground to recall off and of course I'd instantly snatch it up. Much confusion would follow. Several times they gated to their guildhouse and I was able to stealth inside and steal a bunch of poo poo they hadn't secured properly.

Anyway, one day I got wind of the fact that this particular dude was saving up for his very first small tower. He told his guildmates about how he'd been patiently farming dungeons for 8 hours a day in order to save up for it. Well, one day I'm stealthed outside their guildhouse when I see him teleport in. He tells his mates that he's about to buy the small tower deed, and he's found the perfect spot, but he's not going to show them, because he's worried about it being stolen. I can tell he's excited by all the exclamation points. He says BRB!!! and teleports away. Now I had been following this dude around for a couple weeks now, killing him and looting him every so often, and I few times he'd had this rune on him that was marked to this remote spot near the Hedge Maze. I figured this was his house spot, so I recalled there and hid. I waited. And waited some more. Was just about to leave when he teleports in. I instantly stealth up to him, snoop his backpack, steal the small tower deed, give him a "Thanks, friend!" and then recall away.

He goes off in global chat, begging me to give the tower deed back. At first I taunted him, but then I messaged him privately and told him to meet me at the Buc's Den bank, promising to return it. He was suspicious but he really wanted the deed back, so he agreed. Well, he arrived at the bank and I'm waiting there. I'm sure he expected me to just kill him, but I didn't. I even put the tower deed in a trade window. He of course instantly hits accept but I didn't, telling him it won't let me click it. He's starting to get annoyed but I tell him to be patient, I'm going to try something. And then I threw his deed in the bin, in front of him. The bin says, "This item has been deleted." I said, "Whoops, finger slipped." He started freaking the gently caress out. He started ranting on global chat about how long it took him to save up all that gold, what an rear end in a top hat I am, how this game is loving poo poo, then announced he was quitting, and promptly logged off. And was never seen online again.

There's more, but that's a good start.

Yolomancer fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 18, 2018