Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve felt unwanted in most Star Wars spaces since 2017. That’s just how it is. Miserable fan base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I barely post yet I've gotten some weeeird PMs and tons of diss posts* over the years on these forums but why should I cede my sense of belonging to total strangers of questionable taste?

:justpost: no one can stop you (except mods, temporarily)

*Admittedly many are quite deserved

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No one stops anyone but it’s not fun if people just hate you and what you stand for

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
While I'm largely wary of Disney making Mandalorian do more tie-ins and hooks to set up other Star Wars poo poo, so far I haven't hated the execution of any of it, even if Luke had a certain Patty Duke Show quality. The episode was quite good in and of itself.

As for the Baby, there's no way he stays gone for very long. This was clearly an end-of-season beat where Mando has had to give up someone that was giving his life meaning beyond just mercenary violence, and has to deal with that, but I doubt that means they'll never be reunited. So I suspect the Child doesn't stay at Jedi Camp long enough to be around when the Ben Solo thing happens.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

The fight choreography was bad is what I'm saying.

Reminds me a little of Captain America, weirdly enough, where guys with assault rifles keep running at Cap and only firing those guns once he's started doing CQC on them. It's a lazy production thing. When your hero has to move from baddie to baddie, it's very easy to get spacing and continuity errors, whereas if they're just standing on the same spot while the villains run at them, you can edit those individual little stanzas however you like.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This has been one of my biggest issues with the series. The effects are generally pretty good and the look and feel of everything is great, but the majority of the actual fights (Which obviously make up a big part of the series) are pretty bleh.

The funniest one was in the first episode, where him and IG-88 were casually gunning down dozens of enemies while talking about how outnumbered and overwhelmed they were. "Sure, I've killed 23 in the last minute, but 25 might just be too many."

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This has been one of my biggest issues with the series. The effects are generally pretty good and the look and feel of everything is great, but the majority of the actual fights (Which obviously make up a big part of the series) are pretty bleh.

This is exaggerated by the fact that the enemies are too often just random faceless mook mass that gets decimated in minutes. The only exception is when some characters need a boost in their Combat Superiority Showoff rating, which often is Mando being saved by someone Really Cool.

The hallway fights of S2 finale had no sense of danger because of this. They felt devoid of meaning.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

El Perkele posted:

The hallway fights of S2 finale had no sense of danger because of this. They felt devoid of meaning.
Felt a lot of Mandos fights were meaningless because of his Beskar invulnerability. No scaring or anything? Getting punched repeatedly by the Dark Trooper didn't damage even the visor? Nobody can get a lucky shot and get him in an unarmored area?

It was kind of refreshing when he was in disguise, got shot the the shoulder, and it visibly bothered him for the rest of the scene.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Cheesus posted:

Felt a lot of Mandos fights were meaningless because of his Beskar invulnerability. No scaring or anything? Getting punched repeatedly by the Dark Trooper didn't damage even the visor? Nobody can get a lucky shot and get him in an unarmored area?

It was kind of refreshing when he was in disguise, got shot the the shoulder, and it visibly bothered him for the rest of the scene.

Yeah, the part where he was blasted by about 15 stormtroopers and just got up like "yep i'm completely fine" was just plain bad. Is he just completely covered in that stuff?

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

El Perkele posted:

Yeah, the part where he was blasted by about 15 stormtroopers and just got up like "yep i'm completely fine" was just plain bad. Is he just completely covered in that stuff?

The problem is that with stormtroopers experience of their own armour they tend to aim directly for the most clearly armoured plate assuming it will crumple like paper before a gaffi stick.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Just finished The Mandalorian S2 and I guess it didint worked for me like S1 did

I know is more of the same, but I guess thats the problem? Is like when the creators of a successful videogame put out a sequel right after on the same engine with barely anything new, just more and more of what people liked on the first game. I guess that donst so well for a TV show

First half of the season felt like mostly filler for me. Action filler thats supposed to be very thrilling but inst cause you know is just another quest that out hero is going to finish by the end of the episode and get the item/information that unlocks the next quest. And I found most of the fight and shootings sequences pretty bland and sometimes dumb, which is bad for such an action oriented show

And yeah, Luke was pretty bad, really. They should have just casted Mark Hamill and made him look younger like they did with De Niro on The Irishman

Still fun but while S1 was a solid 8/10, I would give S2 just a 6, at most

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 21, 2020

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

Jihad Joe posted:

The problem is that with stormtroopers experience of their own armour they tend to aim directly for the most clearly armoured plate assuming it will crumple like paper before a gaffi stick.

But since they're so bad shots they should be hitting anywhere but that plate they're aiming at :confused:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s the official announcement.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1341013938570371072?s=20

There’s still probably gonna be nerds claiming this still could be Mando Season 3, but I expect they make an announcement for that as well at some point. Most likely they’re waiting to see how the plot of the Boba Fett show intersects with Mando or not. Stuff may happen in the Boba show that helps set up season 3 of Mando, so they may be waiting to decide which show would be best to go first.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is going to get as much of a pain to follow as comic books, isn't it?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Possibly, but if I had to guess each show should be able to stand alone. There’s gonna be crossovers and cameos but there likely won’t be much plot that’s required viewing that forces you to watch all of them in the correct order.

It’s likely gonna be similar to the Ahsoka cameo in Mando. She pops in for an episode of Mando, has some cool action scenes, then screams “Where is Thrawn?” Are you going to have to see that cameo in order to understand her new upcoming standalone show? Not likely, but for the nerds who nitpick everything, it’s cool to do so.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrHXA2cSpNU
Lucasfilm doubles down on their in-house tech used for Tarkin, Leia in both movies, and now Luke instead of investing in deepfake.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cartoon Man posted:

Possibly, but if I had to guess each show should be able to stand alone. There’s gonna be crossovers and cameos but there likely won’t be much plot that’s required viewing that forces you to watch all of them in the correct order.

It’s likely gonna be similar to the Ahsoka cameo in Mando. She pops in for an episode of Mando, has some cool action scenes, then screams “Where is Thrawn?” Are you going to have to see that cameo in order to understand her new upcoming standalone show? Not likely, but for the nerds who nitpick everything, it’s cool to do so.

Me I never heard of her nor I knew about her show so I was like "who is that person she is looking for and what does it have to do with anything??"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

Me I never heard of her nor I knew about her show so I was like "who is that person she is looking for and what does it have to do with anything??"

They should provide some better backstory for this over the course of her first season. Remember, we had no idea who Din Djarin was either but they trickled it out over the course of the first season through strategic flashbacks. With Ahsoka there’s an amazing (or awfully bad) opportunity to visit some of the key scenes from Clone Wars to be done in live action. If you thought the Luke deep fake was bad, hold onto your butts...

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cheesus posted:

Lucasfilm doubles down on their in-house tech used for Tarkin, Leia in both movies, and now Luke instead of investing in deepfake.

They both look bad

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

These efforts are always made using the professional work as the input anyway, so it doesn't really count.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

OctoberCountry posted:

They both look bad

One is by a major CGI studio and the other was done by one guy in 4 days with no access to the original assets. And his is still better.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cheesus posted:

I think his deepfake for this, The Irishman and Tarkin all look slightly worse than the respective CG tech.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

One is by a major CGI studio and the other was done by one guy in 4 days with no access to the original assets. And his is still better.

Well as josh explained the "assets" is all of the work the major CGI studio already did to get the look 90% of the way there; the deepfake is layered on top of their finished work, rather than a different dude's face. Even then the deepfake's lips don't move as much so the dubbing seems off on that side. I also feel a lot of what makes the deepfake look "better" is how much it just obviously looks like RotJ era Mark Hamill, and a lot of that seems to be coming from the lighting and the vivid color of the eyes, which might not be as realistic to the actual scene as they should be (my guess is they used the RotJ bridge scene for Hamill's face, which is making my brain go "oh yeah, that looks like Hamill did in that scene").

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
But Luke and what they did on The Irishman is different, no?

I was under the impression that in The Irishman they just had De Niro with heavy makeup and some digital special effects over it; and Luke seems like a random guy with a computer generated Luke face over his own

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I think even TLJ fans have to admit that the Sequel Trilogy is more bad than good, and is probably better off discarded.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SolarFire2 posted:

I think even TLJ fans have to admit that the Sequel Trilogy is more bad than good, and is probably better off discarded.

Up until TROS I would disagree but that movie did way too much damage despite a few cool scenes I enjoyed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Up until TROS I would disagree but that movie did way too much damage despite a few cool scenes I enjoyed.

Yea I was on the fence and ready to judge the sequel trilogy based on whether or not TROS delivered and it......did not.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TRoS took a piss on everything before it whether you were a fan of both, 1 or the other. NO ONE was happy with that loving pile of poo poo. It remains the only one I saw once and never even bought the blu for. It's loving tainted and killed the franchise until Mandalorian resurrected it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still bought TROS on blu ray because I'm mentally ill.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I for one thought Luke's appearance was fun as hell. Yeah it was clearly a CGI Luke, but it didn't look as weird as the previous ones. I guess I don't hold Star Wars content to a high standard when it comes to fight choreography.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SolarFire2 posted:

I’d rather keep TLJ than throw it all away.

And it’s funny you all want to discord ROS because what do you think the mandalorian is leading up too lmao. Why do we need the blood of this force wielding midiclorian filled child?

I could be wrong, and I’m fine with being wrong, but I’m gonna laugh if they drop the palpy revel and everyone just screams in anger.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I still can't believe I've willingly watched TROS three times

Technically 3.12 times, since I tried to watch it and gave up about 15 minutes in

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I forget most of TROS. I like the palpy scenes because of Ian and that’s the way the film lives for me.

Life’s better when I’m not mad at Star Wars.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather keep TLJ than throw it all away.

And it’s funny you all want to discord ROS because what do you think the mandalorian is leading up too lmao. Why do we need the blood of this force wielding midiclorian filled child?

I could be wrong, and I’m fine with being wrong, but I’m gonna laugh if they drop the palpy revel and everyone just screams in anger.

Yeah it does looks like The Mandalorian (and possible many of those new SW shows) will be going out of its way to try and make sense of all the new trilogy bullshit

Personally I think that while RoS is poo poo, it donest really stands out that much among the sequel trilogy. The first 2 movies are certainly better but for me the original sin is pretty much what SMG said above

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In this particular case, I'm talking about how the 'sequel trilogy' (despite being set 50 years later or whatever) returns everything to the status quo of Episodes 4 and 5 while treating Episode 6 as a fairly unimportant and skippable.

It was a really bad and lazy path they choose that pretty much killed any possibly of those movies being a proper sequel to the original movies, and that aint going to be salvaged by explaining on a dozen different TV shows how come that happened

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I liked RoS because it chucked the previous two bad movies into the garbage.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they insisted on doing it, they needed to figure out a way to do the Sheev reveal in the second act, like an hour in or something. Throwing all that poo poo at the audience in the first 10 minutes was a big mistake.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Guy A. Person posted:

Well as josh explained the "assets" is all of the work the major CGI studio already did to get the look 90% of the way there; the deepfake is layered on top of their finished work, rather than a different dude's face. Even then the deepfake's lips don't move as much so the dubbing seems off on that side. I also feel a lot of what makes the deepfake look "better" is how much it just obviously looks like RotJ era Mark Hamill, and a lot of that seems to be coming from the lighting and the vivid color of the eyes, which might not be as realistic to the actual scene as they should be (my guess is they used the RotJ bridge scene for Hamill's face, which is making my brain go "oh yeah, that looks like Hamill did in that scene").

If somebody wants to explain in more detail I'm all ears, but I don't see how deepfaking over a CGI'ed face is somehow an advantage over what Lucasfilm had to work with. The issue is texturing and lighting - the Disney Luke looks waxy and the facial features don't look correct. The deepfake does both of those better, regardless of lighting conditions.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Crackbone posted:

If somebody wants to explain in more detail I'm all ears, but I don't see how deepfaking over a CGI'ed face is somehow an advantage over what Lucasfilm had to work with. The issue is texturing and lighting - the Disney Luke looks waxy and the facial features don't look correct. The deepfake does both of those better, regardless of lighting conditions.

It doesn't look better or more realistic, it just looks different

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I borrowed a disney plus password and finally watched the TLJ making of. Had a lot of good moments but it already feels like a time capsule from some bygone era

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Basebf555 posted:

If they insisted on doing it, they needed to figure out a way to do the Sheev reveal in the second act, like an hour in or something. Throwing all that poo poo at the audience in the first 10 minutes was a big mistake.

It will never stop blowing my mind that Palps return wasn't even in the opening crawl, it was in Fortnite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

OctoberCountry posted:

It doesn't look better or more realistic, it just looks different

Eh the eyes and lighting around them are better. The original CGI Disney did has dead eyes.