Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was referring to the restaurant maps getting it wrong not so much the movies sorry .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

euphronius posted:

I don’t know what galaxy Star Wars is in but in typical spiral galaxies there are millions of stars in the halo (outside of the 2d disk)

War hammer 40k gets this wrong too

I think I'm willing to classify this as a human problem rather than a story problem. A "to scale" scifi/fantasy would quickly become incomprehensible.

Place mat maps are still bad, oc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

galagazombie posted:

And then of course there's the famous final scene of ESB where Luke looks out at the Galaxy from way above the galactic disc.

I assumed that it was a small disc around a star, like a solar system that hasn't formed planets or something.

It's spinning really fast if it's meant to be the size of a galaxy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There's an answer for everything!

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/111089/how-is-starkiller-bases-beam-visible-from-takodana-in-the-force-awakens

quote:

How is Starkiller Base's beam visible from Takodana in The Force Awakens?

This is explained in the film's Junior Novelisation. The super-weapon is capable of firing a beam that travels faster than light. Evidently it also creates an effect that can be seen faster than light, explaining why people in other systems can see it in realtime

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does the junior novelization explain how the First Order could afford to develop and build one when the Empire apparently couldn’t?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I assumed that it was a small disc around a star, like a solar system that hasn't formed planets or something.

It's spinning really fast if it's meant to be the size of a galaxy.

I think some of the making of stuff says that’s what it is, but then kasdan called it a galaxy in his commentary. So maybe they didn’t talk that through really closely

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

General Dog posted:

Does the junior novelization explain how the First Order could afford to develop and build one when the Empire apparently couldn’t?

No you have to collect each sith goblet from Arby's and when you flip them all over the bottom spells out which blobfish alien invented the new tech and why

Hormagul MacClunky and he just loves blowing stuff up

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Junior Novelization Junior Novelization Abrams

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

General Dog posted:

They found it half finished and just fixed it up?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Junior Jedi Knights books were my jam as a wee lad so I don't knock on things for being Junior.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

galagazombie posted:

The Junior Jedi Knights books were my jam as a wee lad so I don't knock on things for being Junior.

I think the knock is against some pretty substantial information being stuffed into some novel instead of the movie.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

it would be crazy if darth vader smoked weed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
He hotboxes inside his meditation chamber.

On space weed.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That would explain why he is so wheezy

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

E: lol oops wrong thread

Martman fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 10, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He would probably be better off sticking with edibles, what with the severe lung damage and all

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*Vader waking up in his suit for the first time, realizing the horror of what has happened to him, and then taking a huge bong rip*: Whoooooooooaaaaaaa

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the knock is against some pretty substantial information being stuffed into some novel instead of the movie.
Just a precursor to putting Sheev's entire message into fortnite and not the actual movie

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you’ve ever actually listened to the Fortnight Address, it’s a colossal nothing and certainly doesn’t belong in the movie, the only baffling thing is why it’s raised as a plot element at all. The Galaxy at large hearing of Palpatine’s return doesn’t really have any impact on the rest of the story, nor does the arbitrary ticking clock element that it introduces.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I am extremely curious how late Palpatine, or at least McDiramid as Palpatine, was added to the script. If you told me he was written in after principal photography had wrapped, I’d believe it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

General Dog posted:

I am extremely curious how late Palpatine, or at least McDiramid as Palpatine, was added to the script. If you told me he was written in after principal photography had wrapped, I’d believe it.

a year prior to release as per McDiarmid's own words. it seems pretty obvious given how weird his scenes are, how little he actually interacts with anyone, how dark they are and all that weird strobe lighting to make it hard to see what's going on. by the sounds of things, the doctor who guy was going to be the big bad.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Darth Vaper

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

a year prior to release as per McDiarmid's own words. it seems pretty obvious given how weird his scenes are, how little he actually interacts with anyone, how dark they are and all that weird strobe lighting to make it hard to see what's going on. by the sounds of things, the doctor who guy was going to be the big bad.

Wonder if they actually shot those scenes with Dr. Who? Was he supposed to be a younger Palpatine clone? And do the good guys find out about him in the second or third act, instead of reading it in the opening crawl and then farting around for 80 minutes?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's p funny that when spitballing ideas for the sequel trilogy they probably dismissed "let's just bring palpatine back" early on and decided to invent snoke instead

In retrospect we may as well have had sheev the whole time. Just make Max von Sydow say "somehow palpatine returned" in his scene

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I wonder how much money Matt Smith has made from movies he did not appear in at this point.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

General Dog posted:

Wonder if they actually shot those scenes with Dr. Who? Was he supposed to be a younger Palpatine clone? And do the good guys find out about him in the second or third act, instead of reading it in the opening crawl and then farting around for 80 minutes?

as far as him being a younger Palpatine clone, i believe that's what the rumour was saying, yeah. that or he was an acolyte and that palpatine's spirit would possess him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still pretty sure Snoke was meant to be Plagueis at some point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ingmar terdman posted:

In retrospect we may as well have had sheev the whole time. Just make Max von Sydow say "somehow palpatine returned" in his scene

Just pretend RotJ didn't happen.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

If you’ve ever actually listened to the Fortnight Address, it’s a colossal nothing and certainly doesn’t belong in the movie, the only baffling thing is why it’s raised as a plot element at all. The Galaxy at large hearing of Palpatine’s return doesn’t really have any impact on the rest of the story, nor does the arbitrary ticking clock element that it introduces.

The fleet Lando gathers is there because they hate Sheev, just a movie earlier they didn't really care when it was just the First Order.

Or maybe they didn't come because they hated Leia, who knows.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Just pretend RotJ didn't happen.

I mean, thats what the sequels do anyway

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

The fleet Lando gathers is there because they hate Sheev, just a movie earlier they didn't really care when it was just the First Order.

The junior novelization explains that about 70% of the fleet is composed of Lando’s children or past sexual partners.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

General Dog posted:

The junior novelization explains that about 70% of the fleet is composed of Lando’s children or past sexual partners.

Disney is progressive enough to show a 2 second lesbian kiss between unnamed characters but also made sure to railroad the black lead away from having a relationship with either a white woman or an Asian woman, toward being with a member of his own race who is implied to be the illegitimate abandoned child of the only other black character in the series. In short, Disney is a land of contrasts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

They're all chasing Lando because he owes them outstanding gambling debts - he just led them to where even if they miss him, they'll at least hit a bigger target, like say, a Star Destroyer...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

They're all chasing Lando because he owes them outstanding gambling debts - he just led them to where even if they miss him, they'll at least hit a bigger target, like say, a Star Destroyer...

You laugh, but that's kinda how the final battle in Serenity happens.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still pretty sure Snoke was meant to be Plagueis at some point.

you're forgetting how the ST doesn't like tying back to anything introduced outside of the OT officially. See: Not Coruscant, etc

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I don’t buy for a second that there was ever a planned Snoke reveal built around audiences remembering relatively obscure prequel thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Glottis posted:

you're forgetting how the ST doesn't like tying back to anything introduced outside of the OT officially. See: Not Coruscant, etc

Rian Johnson did. He specifically brought up the entire plot of the prequels right up front. Which was cool. Because they’re a part of Star Wars

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They desperately tried to distance the movies as far as possible from the prequels at probably the worst possible time, since all the millennials who grew up with them look on them more fondly and the general nerd backlash has faded, as well as all their camp and melodrama combined with familiarity making for wonderful meme fodder. Not to mention given how much the prequels expanded on the larger context, they basically wrote themselves into a corner from the start.

They just really committed themselves to so many bad ideas it's frankly impressive.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

To RJ’s credit, he recognizes that the prequels raise glaring questions that any sequels must address if the series is to move forward in any meaningful way. What role should the Jedi play in this universe? What can we even hope for the titular, unending Star War to accomplish?

To RJ’s discredit, his answers for these are alternatingly unsatisfactory, muddled, or incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Grendels Dad posted:

We know the universe by large doesn’t really give a poo poo about wars and politics. One place RoS actually does follow TLJ on is that it does a pretty good job of locking in that the galaxy’s primary political mindset is comparable to the relatively narrow space between, say, Neera Tanden and Bill Kristol. The space brunch crowd, if you will.

It’s ok for business to be as disgusting as usual as long as we don’t have to hear about it and its done with decorum. But when suddenly everything becomes impossible to ignore because the guy doing it is saying the quiet parts loud and showing up on Twitter Fortnite News Network and being a dangerous, omnipresent vulgarian, suddenly its orange wrinkle man bad and it’s a unifying force that gets him out of there so we can return to the status quo as quickly as possible.