Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

euphronius posted:

Why are you watching the movies and posting here . You clearly dislike Star Wars. I don’t get it. I’m not saying go away I’m just wondering.

I don't "dislike" Star Wars. I grew up with it and have seen the OT many, many times. Of course I'm less in love with it now there's more good than bad, and the overall continuity has been somewhat tarnished, but I still try and find things to like in it, and often find myself grading them downwards after my initial impressions, as reality takes hold, despite my initial optimism.

1st post was a jokey comment about being "forced" to watch it with my daughter. Not that I need to justify my parenting, but as most parents will tell you spending any time with their children is golden. It was a joke about how in doing so I will also have to endure some lovely films - of course I wouldn't have it any other way. I was expecting a couple of jokey comments in return, not actual apologism for the PT. I mean, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people still posting prolifically about the films in 2021 would defend them - probably I should have posted it elsewhere.

2nd post was confirming my opinion on the PT having completed the rewatch - following comments in here that they might not seem so bad on a good cinema system - with a genuine question attached. Perhaps I should have known that disparaging the films would preclude getting a non-snarky answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

No, that is quite clear. What is not clear is how the concept of balance of these things is meant to work in the Jedi's minds, given they think the Sith need to be destroyed. The movies do not convey this very well, so it's at least a partly on them. Sure, it's possible I have been remiss in my reading and, hey, I haven't thought at extreme length about it - hence posting to see if someone might enlighten me (if, indeed, there is anything to enlighten me on). Wasn't looking for a haughty post suggesting I can't arrive at the obvious conclusion that the PT is terrible in the meantime, but coming from someone who posts endless straw-grasping dissertations about a largely bad nonology, I am not particularly surprised.

Forget it, Jake. It's the Star Wars thread.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I don't "dislike" Star Wars. I grew up with it and have seen the OT many, many times. Of course I'm less in love with it now there's more good than bad, and the overall continuity has been somewhat tarnished, but I still try and find things to like in it, and often find myself grading them downwards after my initial impressions, as reality takes hold, despite my initial optimism.

1st post was a jokey comment about being "forced" to watch it with my daughter. Not that I need to justify my parenting, but as most parents will tell you spending any time with their children is golden. It was a joke about how in doing so I will also have to endure some lovely films - of course I wouldn't have it any other way. I was expecting a couple of jokey comments in return, not actual apologism for the PT. I mean, maybe I shouldn't be surprised that people still posting prolifically about the films in 2021 would defend them - probably I should have posted it elsewhere.

2nd post was confirming my opinion on the PT having completed the rewatch - following comments in here that they might not seem so bad on a good cinema system - with a genuine question attached. Perhaps I should have known that disparaging the films would preclude getting a non-snarky answer.

What did you think of the cinematography, the sound and the music (in the pt)

Those elements to me are objectively good and I also enjoy them a lot

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The problem with Lucas'/Filoni's interpretation of "balance of the force" is that you have to understand the whole concept. The Whills use the midichlorians to literally pilot force users bodies (using the force, trusting in the force, "You mean it controls your actions?" "Partially, but it also obeys your commands") while dark side users use these abilities for their own ends and defy the Whills. "Bringing balance" isn't about equating the sides, it's returning reality to the greater plan. This is what Lucas's sequel trilogy would have been about.

It also retroactively removes agency from every character you ever cared about and therefore can very much go tbh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Jedi's adherence to the status quo is entirely their downfall. They take on Anakin bedgrudgingly, simply because of their dogma, and he's very well aware of this- they don't have the flexibility to deal with edge cases properly. Which really ties into Anakin's whole implied prequel arc- he's reluctantly, begrudgingly given a place in the organisation that he was taken from his home and his mother by, and is desperate not just to prove himself but to prove he can live up to expectations- that he can make himself needed. It's absolutely no wonder he falls at the feet of anyone who offers him genuine appreciation- he wants to be Padme's knight in shining armour (their relationship is very much Lancelot and Guinevere, come to think of it. Kinda makes Luke the Galahad) and Palpatine plays it cool but makes a show of putting his trust in Anakin while sending him on operations outside Jedi supervision, and eventually grooms him to see Palpatine as the only authority figure who has genuine faith in him.

In short, Anakin unfortunately is not the saviour of the Jedi Order, but the encapsulation of its failures, good intentions but taking the path of least resistance that goes right down the road to Hell.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Szmitten posted:

The problem with Lucas'/Filoni's interpretation of "balance of the force" is that you have to understand the whole concept. The Whills use the midichlorians to literally pilot force users bodies (using the force, trusting in the force, "You mean it controls your actions?" "Partially, but it also obeys your commands") while dark side users use these abilities for their own ends and defy the Whills. "Bringing balance" isn't about equating the sides, it's returning reality to the greater plan. This is what Lucas's sequel trilogy would have been about.

It also retroactively removes agency from every character you ever cared about and therefore can very much go tbh

You really don't need to know more than what the films tell you.

"How will I know the good side from the bad?"
"You will know when you are at peace"

The light side is all about good and peace and all things being in balance, the dark side is evil and anger and lust for power.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

But wouldn't a "balanced" Force mean the dark and light sides co-existing, with neither side overpowering the other?

I’ve never understood why people think this, it’s not like balance always means an equal amount of everything. When I’m mixing a cocktail it’s not “balanced” when there’s an equal amount of every ingredient. When commercials talk about a balanced diet they don’t mean you should eat equal amounts of cake and vegetables and red meat and lard.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alchenar posted:

The light side is all about good and peace and all things being in balance

"From my point of view, the Jedi are evil."
-Anakin

"Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace."
-Palpatine

The point of Star Wars is not some "good is good" tautology, but a questioning of what people even mean by "good". Is there a darkness in your "good" that you disavow? What is the horizon of your thought?

The reason I find Star Wars so fascinating is partly in how the fans can watch the movies over and over and over, but miss basic stuff like that Palpatine wants Luke to win. Luke only triumphs over evil by tossing away his sword, renouncing the rebellion, and abandoning his friends - because it is precisely his attachment to "moderate" good that draws him into darkness.

The message is plainly that the rebellion and the Jedi are not radical enough - that their ideological failures have profound repercussions, that the weakness of their political thought leaves them open to exploitation, and so-forth. In case people didn't get it, Abrams and Terrio repeated the exact same thing in Episode 9, with Rey's love of the Resistance literally turning her into a vampire.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I do like that they went through the trouble of giving the Resistance ships a movie-style paintjob for their TROS cameo

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Another funny assumption about the prequels that I question is this notion that the prophecy has anything to do with the Sith. As in, "bringing balance to the force" is falsely equated with eliminating the Sith. When Qui-Gon returns to the council after his trip to Tatooine, he presents news of Darth Maul and Anakin as two entirely unrelated phenomena. Indeed, the council seems even more dubious about the possibility of the Sith returning than they do of the prophecy coming to bear on them. They all seem to be expecting the chosen one to arrive in their time (as many Christians do), but the chosen one's appearance doesn't rely on the re-emergence of the Sith to do that. "Balance" doesn't mean the one who will emerge to vanquish the Sith. The Jedi merely assume this because Maul and Anakin arise in the same moment.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Guy A. Person posted:

I’ve never understood why people think this, it’s not like balance always means an equal amount of everything. When I’m mixing a cocktail it’s not “balanced” when there’s an equal amount of every ingredient. When commercials talk about a balanced diet they don’t mean you should eat equal amounts of cake and vegetables and red meat and lard.

Alchenar posted:

You really don't need to know more than what the films tell you.

"How will I know the good side from the bad?"
"You will know when you are at peace"

The light side is all about good and peace and all things being in balance, the dark side is evil and anger and lust for power.

Fair enough - thanks for responding. Makes sense.

euphronius posted:

What did you think of the cinematography, the sound and the music (in the pt)

Those elements to me are objectively good and I also enjoy them a lot

I think the music and Ian McDiarmid are generally the best things about the PT. Apart from the excellent new stuff like Duel of the Fates, the soundtrack does a nice job of using musical cues for foreshadowing, occasionally starting a familiar refrain but then moving away after a few notes and (I seem to recall) sometimes switching major pieces to minor and vice versa. I do think they overdo the use of the original themes, lessening their impact at times, but overall I think it's a real strong point. From a technical PoV the sound is of course excellent, and the overall sound design is very strong. Cinematography is more of a mixed bag, I think - Lucas is a strong visual storyteller even now, and there are some great shots and uses of symbolism. Some shots seem a bit flat though, too, and the abundance of greenscreen and density of detail doesn't help at times. No doubting they are visually pretty splendid at many points, though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reading prophecies wrongly is common story.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

euphronius posted:

Reading prophecies wrongly is common story.

I would say it's more common than stories where prophecies are read correctly.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Right, of course, its a classic trope that the characters in the story misunderstand a prophecy. It's not intentional irony when the audience themselves misunderstand the prophecy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

You'd think on a comedy forum people would be able to detect a wry comment, especially after it had subsequently been pointed out, but apparently no. You think what you like.

Says the poster who called a two sentence joke post a “lecture”

:laugh:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Horizon Burning posted:

i believe the light side is first mentioned in TFA. otherwise, yes, it was purely an EU creation and has poisoned how people perceive star wars for years since. there is the force and the perverse unbalancing of it - the dark side. to use the common analogy, you don't say that a little bit of cancer in a healthy body is balance.

see also grey jedi, where fans want to believe that shooting lightning at people is a-okay if you have good intentions.
I've been meaning to effortpost about what the Sith are and why there's no such thing as the Rule of Two, but right now I'm phoneposting and literally going over a bridge

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1391076255370555394

So what he's saying is that the next Star Wars movie will be part of the Sharknado saga

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think people confusedly assumed 'the light side' was a thing and that balance meant both the Jedi and the Sith had equal numbers or influence because of how obviously similar the Force is to the Dao.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Christians are familiar with claims that Jesus was a fraud, and other than being messianic figures who got murdered I'm not sure there are many similarities between Rasputin and Christ?

But sure, :smug: got 'em etc

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Christians are familiar with claims that Jesus was a fraud, and other than being messianic figures who got murdered I'm not sure there are many similarities between Rasputin and Christ?

Beard.

Also possibly robe.

Also tough to keep dead.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Rasputin stayed dead, he just died hard

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Vinylshadow posted:

I do like that they went through the trouble of giving the Resistance ships a movie-style paintjob for their TROS cameo

:stare: Okay, this is shamelessly a Space GT40, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mantis42 posted:

I think people confusedly assumed 'the light side' was a thing and that balance meant both the Jedi and the Sith had equal numbers or influence because of how obviously similar the Force is to the Dao.
I'm not a Daoist but I'm almost certain that that's not how the Dao works.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Even the sequel trilogy doesn't talk about a "light side," only "the light." Each Star War is fought between a blue team and a red team, each with their own distinctive iconography and parallel toys, but it's a mistake to extrapolate from that to a dualistic cosmology.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah, Christians would just say that Rasputin is Simon Magus, not Jesus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Write some more paragraphs about how a forum thread about Star Wars hurt your feelings.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PT definitely isn’t red team blue team

Disney certainly wants it to be that way though

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is the Bad Batch stuff good?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

PT definitely isn’t red team blue team

Disney certainly wants it to be that way though

Sure it is. You've got the Naboo vs. the Federation in the first one, then Jedi-Clones-Republic vs. Sith-Droids-Confederacy for the rest, lasting all the way until the Palpatine and Sidious personas are merged openly - which, of course, is when you have the first and only blue-on-blue duel.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Sure it is, you have the yang gang so clearly there must be a yin gang to act as their opposite.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is the Bad Batch stuff good?

It’s as good as the other clone war stuff

So far

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mantis42 posted:

Sure it is, you have the yang gang so clearly there must be a yin gang to act as their opposite.

nah, it's von lohengramm who's opposite the yang gang

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Payndz posted:

:stare: Okay, this is shamelessly a Space GT40, right?

I’ve never seen Resistance but that would make sense, since iirc the conceit there is that it’s set on some small independent planet that was largely known for having a local starfighter racing scene before the sequel plot kicked off

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween Jack posted:

Write some more paragraphs about how a forum thread about Star Wars hurt your feelings.

Even typed words from people you’ll never meet can hurt if you’re not doing so hot

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

CelticPredator posted:

Even typed words from people you’ll never meet can hurt if you’re not doing so hot

Probably should avoid the Internet in such cases.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. But also you can find company on the internet as well. It’s not all a cess pool

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

Before anyone gets further off track with how the Dao is defined I just want to set the record straight with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5kmkYMqfYY

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Neo Rasa posted:

Before anyone gets further off track with how the Dao is defined I just want to set the record straight with this:

Holy gently caress, a "A Chinese Ghost Story" reference is a deep cut.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was so disappointed he wasn't a big monster. Felt like a cheat since holograms are universally blue and static-y in Star Wars.

I felt it would have been more interesting if snoke was actually the size of yoda and the reason he made such huge projections was because he was a vain dark lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Watched with the sound off and imagine it was sung to the tune of the Spongebob Squarepants theme.

Dao Dao Dao Dao
Dao Dao Dao Dao
Dao Dao
Daaaaaaoooooooooo