Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
So was Lando gettin down with his buddies Lobot and Nien Nunb or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

Stick around for the after credits scene. Let's just say Lando and Han dump some spice..together.

Turns out Solo was a prequel to Star Wars Kinect all along

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

lmao kasdan doing the same thing jk rowling does, to roughly the same effect

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Defend horrible people despite having every reason too hate them?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

CelticPredator posted:

[ten years after the last book, sobbing] the sorting hat is trans

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Cast Kevin Spacey as Lobot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Johnny Depp

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

You know the Disney Star Wars movies kind of astound me with how uncreative and lazy and vanilla they are sometimes

Darth Maul was never a character. He was a lunchbox. He was literally conceived and designed above all else to look cool and get into a cool fight. He said one non-consequential thing and then went away, serving his purpose of becoming an action figure. This is not a timeless classic character who needs to be brought back because there is just more story to tell. He'sjust something people recognise and in the Obi Wan movie when he's the bad guy, he'll just be someone people recognise again. If given the choice, Disney will always elect to bring something old back than create something new.

It kinda reminds me when people were bitching about TLJ I saw a user review on Metacritic that said something like "Phasma deserved more she was wasted again" and I thought "how can a character that's only been in two movies and only done the things you've seen her do be wasted?" and then I realised, what this person meant was "she had a very cool costume and didn't do anything very cool". I guess that's Darth Maul, too. Half of Star Wars fans favourite characters aren't characters at all, they're neat cosplays.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

Darth Maul was never a character. He was a lunchbox. He was literally conceived and designed above all else to look cool and get into a cool fight. He said one non-consequential thing and then went away, serving his purpose of becoming an action figure. This is not a timeless classic character who needs to be brought back because there is just more story to tell. He'sjust something people recognise and in the Obi Wan movie when he's the bad guy, he'll just be someone people recognise again. If given the choice, Disney will always elect to bring something old back than create something new.

If what I've read in this very thread is any indication, bringing back Darth Maul in the first place was apparently a Lucas idea from Clone Wars. :shrug:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Calico Heart posted:

You know the Disney Star Wars movies kind of astound me with how uncreative and lazy and vanilla they are sometimes

I like how you say the Disney movies are uncreative and lazy, and then proceed to bitch about how uncreative and lazy a prequel character was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People say Phasma was wasted because people love Gwendoline Christie and Brienne of Tarth. And yeah paying her to do gently caress all is kind of a waste.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were people really super-excited about Boba Fett before and between ESB and ROTJ? Obviously he became the Wolverine of Star Wars in subsequent years, but were people complaining about his role / his death scene? I don't know what his presence in the pre-release marketing was like.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Calico Heart posted:

"how can a character that's only been in two movies and only done the things you've seen her do be wasted?"

This doesn't seem confusing. This isn't documentary footage where people are real and we just have to live with the personalities they happen to have. Someone wrote this script and and artist created the looks, people are complaining when good character design is wasted on bad character. That is the waste.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were people really super-excited about Boba Fett before and between ESB and ROTJ? Obviously he became the Wolverine of Star Wars in subsequent years, but were people complaining about his role / his death scene? I don't know what his presence in the pre-release marketing was like.

Boba Fett started being merchandised 2 years before Empire came out, being advertised as as the "New Evil Villain in Star Wars Galaxy" and Vader's personal henchman.

After he didn't really do anything in the movie, one of the fan theories about the character was that he would be revealed to be Luke's mom in diguise in Episode 6.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robot Style posted:

After he didn't really do anything in the movie, one of the fan theories about the character was that he would be revealed to be Luke's mom in diguise in Episode 6.

this is incredible

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

people are complaining when good character design is wasted on bad character

stormtrooper, but silver, does not equal good character design

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

stormtrooper, but silver, does not equal good character design

She had a cape and a big gun too. Storm troopers themselves are a good design that has been iconic for decades, a cooler silver one with a cape is a design a lot of people like and feel was wasted on a character that isn't really that important.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"But guys, her armor was made from Palpatine's yacht."
*crickets burst into orchestra*

Blame marketing for plastering her all over everything because "Shiny = important" seemed to be the logic they operated on

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She had a cape and a big gun too. Storm troopers themselves are a good design that has been iconic for decades, a cooler silver one with a cape is a design a lot of people like and feel was wasted on a character that isn't really that important.

You're saying nothing except contradicting the entire philosophy and origin of what a stormtrooper is. A faceless, disposable grunt. None of them are special, none of them have a unique identity. Even the "elite" Crimson or Shadow stormtroopers are just faceless tools that can be disposed of and forgotten at any time in the face of any threat. It's what is core to the greater philosophy of the Empire, much like the Death Star was a massive superstructure that was only defeated by their own hubris.

People "like" Phasma because they aren't given the critical tools to analyze media beyond surface level references, which is ironically enough what Phasma is - a crappy repeat of Boba Fett, thrown down the trash compactor and everything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

phasma would get more to do in a theoretical movie series where they actually did anything with finn's first order background

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

phasma would get more to do in a theoretical movie series where they actually did anything with finn's first order background

Finn: A Star Wars Story

Coming 2035

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not even sure why John boyega/Finn are even in the movies .

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

I suspect that he's going to start a stormtrooper rebellion in the next movie. But that left him with little to do in the previous movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

someone had the neat idea of having a protagonist who was originally on the side of the baddies and wants to redeem themselves for the terrible things they were a part of but disney needed it watered down to avoid staining his 'likability' to the point that the writers had nothing left to do with him

that's my theory at least

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Johnson wrote 8 while 7 was being finished. That’s the problem.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TFA is all about setting up a great new likable cast of characters, that excuses the ludicrously lazy script

Note: one movie later all the characters except Ken Ben and maybe arguably Rey have already been ruined

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

“This movie was tepid trash, but they really set the stage for the next movie to be good” is a train of thought that needs to just die already.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kylo ren is the only new character in tfa, everyone else is a paper thin nothing even by star wars pulpy standards

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The nominal new main character in TFA spends the entire movie just having things happen to her

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

She had to decide whether to go on a space adventure, or return to living on the borderline of starvation in the desert. It was a deep choice, and likable

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

someone had the neat idea of having a protagonist who was originally on the side of the baddies and wants to redeem themselves for the terrible things they were a part of but disney needed it watered down to avoid staining his 'likability' to the point that the writers had nothing left to do with him

that's my theory at least

hint: it's because a black man being the star of a disney property is a terrifying prospect for them

the central characters in the disney wars are: white lady (rey), white guy (ren), white lady (erso), white guy (solo), everyone else is just a sidekick while we pretend to care about diversity

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Should've had more time of Finn reacting to new experiences and being a dork, and cut the Rathtars entirely as a result

Meanwhile, the Poe comics are currently in a "Let's kill time during the wait for Episode IX by retelling TFA and filling in a few blanks here and there that we missed the first time around - as a bonus, we get some Finn/Poe/Rey bonding ("Torture buddies!"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

hint: it's because a black man being the star of a disney property is a terrifying prospect for them

the central characters in the disney wars are: white lady (rey), white guy (ren), white lady (erso), white guy (solo), everyone else is just a sidekick while we pretend to care about diversity

racism isn't the whole story here though, it's not like tfa rey is any better than tfa finn

if anything the problem might be that they care too much about maintaining the image of diversity; ren the white man gets to be nuanced and flawed and passionate but rey and finn get a real kid's gloves treatment where they're just bland and mildly snarky because their depictions will get put under a microscope

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Kylo Ren was a fluke. But one that, while his character has some neat backstory stuff, if in the hands of a weaker actor, probably wouldn't have been as endearing.

Like Anakin on paper is a fairly complex character, played abysmally by Hayden.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Taintrunner posted:

I remember that in the months before Rogue One came out, Disney had just confirmed that Emilia Clarke would be starring in the Han Solo film, and some people were upset that every female lead in Disney Star Wars was a white, brunette English woman.

It was actually used as evidence that Jyn was probably related to Rey. Felicity Jones and Daisy Ridley look plausibly similar, and Disney had made such a big deal about how race-natural their casting was for Rey, but they didn’t say that about Jyn. If it weren’t for biological necessity, why else would a good woke company like Disney fail so hard at diversity?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Taintrunner posted:

You're saying nothing except contradicting the entire philosophy and origin of what a stormtrooper is. A faceless, disposable grunt. None of them are special, none of them have a unique identity. Even the "elite" Crimson or Shadow stormtroopers are just faceless tools that can be disposed of and forgotten at any time in the face of any threat. It's what is core to the greater philosophy of the Empire, much like the Death Star was a massive superstructure that was only defeated by their own hubris.

People "like" Phasma because they aren't given the critical tools to analyze media beyond surface level references, which is ironically enough what Phasma is - a crappy repeat of Boba Fett, thrown down the trash compactor and everything.

JJ Abrams himself said that Phasma was his favorite character and they had her on the covers of several magazines promoting her as some cool.new character.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

kidkissinger posted:

JJ Abrams himself said that Phasma was his favorite character and they had her on the covers of several magazines promoting her as some cool.new character.
That makes perfect sense though, That Chrome will create so many cool reflections and lensflares.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
having just watched blackstar warrior, that was great and enjoyable hell yeah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kidkissinger posted:

She had a lot of scenes cut. She had a battle scene on the Maz planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
why did they give Finn a new love interest? did Finn get officially friendzoned by Rey or something?