Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Maybe they'll meet up with Freddie Prinze Jr and the ghost crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jerkface posted:

Realistically Ahsoka COULD show up in a hypothetical season 2 because she is "Fulcrum" during the 2nd half of the season, but that would be a Filoni/Favreau move. For Tony Gilroy I bet any Jedis stay just off screen, in another room, while Andor and Cinta are teeing off on some space nazi's bean bag during an interrogation.

I think we've seen enough depth and humanity out of the people of the Empire this season that it's time we move past calling them "space nazis". Fascism is just another form of governance at the end of the day; these people are just trying to get by like the rest of us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

General Dog posted:

I think we've seen enough depth and humanity out of the people of the Empire this season that it's time we move past calling them "space nazis". Fascism is just another form of governance at the end of the day; these people are just trying to get by like the rest of us.

no

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

General Dog posted:

Andor does an amazing job humanizing Syril and Dedra, but at the end of the day they are dreadful people who deserve to be punched, and I feel it's quite alright to call them space Nazis even though you saw what pathetic dweebs they are. You don't have hand it to them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

TBH a lot of the ISB characters read to me like professional class, McKinsey type, politically moderate strivers who happily uphold a fascist system because they prioritize order over justice and because it provides them a career ladder to claim.

Aka space Nazis.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

After a long day designing camps Himmler just wanted to go home and read some of his grandpas old books. It was a frustrating afternoon when he couldn’t get a hold of his secretary to see if his new pens were coming in. Hopefully, Himmler has a better day tomorrow. He’s just trying to get by in this crazy world.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

General Dog posted:

It's funny that 'the banality of evil' has become a catchphrase to describe bureaucratic grey compliance with monstrous imperatives, because Arendt got it completely wrong; Eichmann was in no way banal, he was an enthusiastic proponent of murdering all the Jews, and he wrote at length about how committed he was to their extermination. He just pretended to be a nebbish bureaucrat to try to save his own skin and Arendt fell for it. Most of the Nazis knew exactly how they''d be judged for their acts, but willingly committed them anyway

The banality of evil is roughly as fictional as Stockholm Syndrome. Nazis weren't just filling out forms and keeping order and happily cogging in the great machine. They were willing, knowing, enthusiastic monsters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

General Dog posted:

This is correct in that fascism is just an ordinary and ever-present modality of liberal democracy, c.f. George Jackson.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

General Battuta posted:

It's funny that 'the banality of evil' has become a catchphrase to describe bureaucratic grey compliance with monstrous imperatives, because Arendt got it completely wrong; Eichmann was in no way banal, he was an enthusiastic proponent of murdering all the Jews, and he wrote at length about how committed he was to their extermination. He just pretended to be a nebbish bureaucrat to try to save his own skin and Arendt fell for it. Most of the Nazis knew exactly how they''d be judged for their acts, but willingly committed them anyway

The banality of evil is roughly as fictional as Stockholm Syndrome. Nazis weren't just filling out forms and keeping order and happily cogging in the great machine. They were willing, knowing, enthusiastic monsters.

The first part is absolutely true, but Eichmann modeled his bureaucrat persona on one of his office clerks - so the argument has been made that the argument for the banality of evil still works, but it didn't actually apply to Eichmann himself. And more generally, my recommended starting point for understanding the psychology of mass murderers, Nazi or otherwise, is still Christoper Browning's Ordinary Men.

Back to Star Wars, since I came to the thread for this, but don't want to double-post: Andor made me want to take a deeper look on Rogue One, and its tumultuous creation process. There's an excellent six-part podcast called Going Rogue on that, that I wanted to plug. I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned in here.

https://twitter.com/goingrogue_pod/status/1572379279710879744?s=20&t=E8tGiOA0Dgjdc94nCa4u8w

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Star Wars: My Pussy Andor My Crack

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Grendels Dad posted:

Andor does an amazing job humanizing Syril and Dedra, but at the end of the day they are dreadful people who deserve to be punched, and I feel it's quite alright to call them space Nazis even though you saw what pathetic dweebs they are. You don't have hand it to them.

The finale does an excellent job humanizing its villains and still painting them as vile people. Syril is just this entitled loser who wants to be a hero so bad. Dedra's cold exterior cracks and she's absolutely terrified when she experiences violence first hand. The imperial officer who orders the shooting does so because he's frightened and humiliated after almost being beaten by the crowd.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The show's pretty good at adding shade to those characters while still keeping them firmly villains. There's something fascinating in watching Dedra at work trying to get results and rise above her station even if she's still as bad as the rest of them, and Syril is this bundle of personality problems who of course makes the perfect Imperial drone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

General Dog posted:

Say what you will about the empire, but the trains do run on time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

well why not posted:

Say what you will about the empire, but the trains do run on time.

Which is why the heist in Solo works :eng101:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jerkface posted:

Realistically Ahsoka COULD show up in a hypothetical season 2 because she is "Fulcrum" during the 2nd half of the season, but that would be a Filoni/Favreau move. For Tony Gilroy I bet any Jedis stay just off screen, in another room, while Andor and Cinta are teeing off on some space nazi's bean bag during an interrogation.

The Rebels ship/surviving characters were originally going to be present at the Scarif battle in Rogue One (I think the Ghost is even still on screen very briefly or in a trailer?) so it wouldn't be too off for someone like that to pop up.

Especially since season 2 is going to take place over several years that's a pretty wide scope of stuff to cover.

Like it'd be a waste of course to do a Jedi arc but I feel like a lot of stuff I think would have definitively sucked poo poo in this season like Palpatine or Jedi appearing etc., I would trust this team to handle well now that Aldhani and Ferrix and Luthen's escape have happened so we're going to see much higher stakes and a way more aggressive empire

Like it's not NEEDED for this series at all and I wouldn't miss it.

But if they wanted to have a "what in the gently caress!!!" moment of someone wasting people with a lightsaber in a show like this, well, I DEFINITELY trust the people involved in Rogue One and Andor to handle that well.

But it'd be cooler to not at all, the official rebellion wins their first victory over Scarif, followed by Vader entering the battle in a brutal way. That actually complements even just this season really well as a true "the emperor himself officially takes you seriously now" moment.

Speaking of that lmao I like how the ISB said they realized killing everyone at the Kreeger raid was idiotic and not productive but it wasn't about performing the operation successfully, it was about stopping the emperor's feelings from being hurt about Aldhani lol that and the "Well he means what he says!" someone says about him earlier.

It would rule though if some pale darkclothed sith inquisitor shows up at some point but just gets absolutely loving turbo murdered by rebels instantly. Like they do the relatively slow/flourishly stuff we see in Obi-Wan and Cinta just shanks them in the kidney while Andor or someone auto-blasters them.

How did the whole galaxy go so fast from jedi/inquisitors everywhere to some people not even thinking the force is a thing by A New Hope? Because the inquisitors suck poo poo and got owned lol

Like imagine the head inquisitor in Obi-Wan doing that spinny saber public execution thing on Ferrix the empire wouldn't even find a body he'd just be GONE

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 26, 2022

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The Rebels ship/surviving characters were originally going to be present at the Scarif battle in Rogue One (I think the Ghost is even still on screen very briefly or in a trailer?) so it wouldn't be too off for someone like that to pop up.

Especially since season 2 is going to take place over several years that's a pretty wide scope of stuff to cover.

There was an episode of Rebels set immediately after Mon Mothma gives her speech condemning the Ghorman massacre and is forced to flee Coruscant, where the ship she's travelling on meets up with the Ghost and they get her to safety while she calls together the disparate rebel cells. The show's clearly building up to her doing that (and Tony Gilroy's mentioned the Ghorman Massacre interviews), so while they probably won't do a full retelling of that episode, I could see them at least showing her ship blasting into hyperspace to go meet with them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh hey, she was getting het up about the Ghormans in a couple of scenes earlier in the season. Something about their shipping lanes being cut off and it being tantamount to genocide

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

2house2fly posted:

Oh hey, she was getting het up about the Ghormans in a couple of scenes earlier in the season. Something about their shipping lanes being cut off and it being tantamount to genocide

A big hologram billboard of Padme that says "MISS ME YET?"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone deepfake the Hillary gif of her looking around in amazement but with padme

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

It's a bit like Revenge Of The Sith in that respect, the first two prequels were all breezy and upbeat but for the third George Lucas is all but looking at the camera and saying "but seriously kids, there's nothing cool about fascism"

Uhhh Attack of the Clones was not breezy.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Attack of the clones contains some of every possible tone, cancelling out to no tone in particular

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I hope Andor Stalin-pills some nerds and also if a Jedi shows up in season 2 the rebels rightfully hang him.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Attack of the Clones has sort of a weird wry tone, it depends quite a bit on the audience recognizing that poo poo is starting to go wrong and none of this is going to end well. The key moment being when the cavalry rides in to save everyone on Geonosis but wait they're stormtroopers and that's the Imperial logo and they're firing little Death Star guns and Star Destroyers are in the background, oh, right, this is how it happened...

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Or the part where Obi-Wan goes on his adventure in a miniature Star Destroyer after several scenes of being told the Jedi are blind to the world around them, and are too arrogant to see the corruption that's right under their noses.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Danger posted:

I hope Andor Stalin-pills some nerds and also if a Jedi shows up in season 2 the rebels rightfully hang him.

I believe Qui Gon meant well, but his existence is surely a net negative for the galaxy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Maxwell Lord posted:

Attack of the Clones has sort of a weird wry tone, it depends quite a bit on the audience recognizing that poo poo is starting to go wrong and none of this is going to end well. The key moment being when the cavalry rides in to save everyone on Geonosis but wait they're stormtroopers and that's the Imperial logo and they're firing little Death Star guns and Star Destroyers are in the background, oh, right, this is how it happened...

I'm sure I'm borrowing the observation from this very thread or one of its forebears, but the "twist" of AoTC echoes the twist of Empire Strikes Back- the Empire didn't kill the Republic, it is the Republic.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

well why not posted:

I believe Qui Gon meant well, but his existence is surely a net negative for the galaxy.

the only person who possibly fucks it worse than qui-gon is yoda

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/UncleButler/status/1596697728515330048

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think that’s George Lucas

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
George Lucas's hair is fully white these days i think

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I talked to his hairdresser the other day, and he dyes it to be incognito in public.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

2house2fly posted:

George Lucas's hair is fully white these days i think

Much like his casting decisions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skrill.exe posted:

Much like his casting decisions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Attack of the clones contains some of every possible tone, cancelling out to no tone in particular

I mean that's Star Wars, it has a bit of everything, for everyone. Ewoks are funny little savage teddy bears, and then you see one get killed in battle and be mourned by their friend.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pretty much that entire era of Star Wars is constantly dripping with dramatic irony, especially all the EU stuff and both Clone Wars cartoons. You know things are going to go bad and the ending will be tragic, the only question is how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvamRJvAB2U

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Or Red Tails, which is more recent than that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much that entire era of Star Wars is constantly dripping with dramatic irony, especially all the EU stuff and both Clone Wars cartoons. You know things are going to go bad and the ending will be tragic, the only question is how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvamRJvAB2U

I love that bit. Anakin just loving shanks a dude, the good guys win, but....

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My favourite part about that oft repeated shot of George chowing down on some dingy mall court Chinese is that it happened in my little city in nowhere Australia. IIRC he was accompanying his wife on her business trip.

Which reminds me I should finally get around to watching Red Tails.

I know he kept saying for years he wanted to just go back to making small scale little experimental films. I wonder if that was all just ego defending talk after the prequel hate, or if he actually did so under a pseudonym.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

I love that bit. Anakin just loving shanks a dude, the good guys win, but....

The snippet of The Imperial March, you know this is how Darth Vader happens.

AotC is about a war that's literally manufactured, you see the actual factories in which both of the armies are made, wound up and marched against each other like toys. The resulting war sequence is fun but also very much intended to be ominous, once you know the engines of war are starting and aren't going to stop, and you realise what one side is going to turn into.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
That makes me wonder if anyone ever did anything notable with the Trade Federation post-ROTS. Obviously they mostly all died, but surely a lost battalion of the roger roger guys tried to jump Luke in an EU novelization or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

That makes me wonder if anyone ever did anything notable with the Trade Federation post-ROTS. Obviously they mostly all died, but surely a lost battalion of the roger roger guys tried to jump Luke in an EU novelization or something

There was a Super Tactical Droid named Kalani (appeared in TCW S5 The Soft War and Tipping Points, and Rebels S3 The Last Battle episodes) who refused the shutdown command due to perceiving it as a Republic trick and kept his droids operational, but they never left their planet until shortly before A New Hope and haven't been seen or heard of since, even though the end of S4 gave them the perfect opening, and they instead opted for space whale ex machina

Perhaps Ahsoka will do something with them, or Mando S3