Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Torgover posted:

I really did enjoy the bit where they upload L-3 to the Falcon, because in all likelihood you would only realize that's meant to reference or explain C-3PO complaining about the Falcon's "most peculiar dialect" when you rewatch ESB and hear that line. I admit, I went "awwww :h:" when I figured it out, and only because it was one of those weird unexplained eccentricities that stuck out to me from the OT that not only does the Falcon have a consciousness but she's also kind of a weirdo.

i don't know i think it's kind of messed up to talk up the first female droid, introduce her as a droid rights advocate, then blow her up and jam her brain into a ship so she can be the nav computer for all eternity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are those shows good?

Rebels mainly suffers from having a fraction of the budget of Clone Wars.
George Lucas poured a lot of his own money into the show so it could look as good as it did. Rebels has the feeling of a low-level role playing campaign that manages to become more epic in the last two seasons.
High points in Rebels for people who haven't watched the Clone Wars show but are familiar with Star Wars lore in general are guest appearances by Tarkin, Bail Organa, young Leia, Lando, and Thrawn. For the people who watched The Clone Wars, you get reappearances by/storyline resolutions for Maul, Ahsoka, and some of the clone guys as now grumpy old men.
Plus, the Rebels show has the best lovable rear end in a top hat / homicidal maniac astromech droid ever.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Milky Moor posted:

i don't know i think it's kind of messed up to talk up the first female droid, introduce her as a droid rights advocate, then blow her up and jam her brain into a ship so she can be the nav computer for all eternity

Nice TC-14 erasure, bud.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Milky Moor posted:

They did that to KT-18?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
haven't seen Solo yet. i think i bookmarked my place in the thread to deal w/ that but

LMFAO remember when a bunch of sperg-rear end-losers were bitching about Hosnian Prime because OMG IT HAS FIVE HABITABLE PLANETS IN ONE SYSTEM?

and since then irl we found...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnKFaAS30X8

i bet JJ fuckin came his pants irl after he read about that poo poo

too bad they're all basically uninhabitable lmfao

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I would’ve liked to have seen more of Spooky Industrial Blade Runner World (Corellia) and WW1 Frontlines World (Mimban). Just a lil bit more. Maybe some inner workings of the Imperial Academy.

And more of Thandie Newton and Jon Favreau‘s Mini Goro character, Rio Durant.

And less of Emilia Clarke, who is a heinous actor.

The Lady Droid was awesome and they iced her 15 minutes later. I was pissed.

Also, apparently Chewie eats people.

Donglover was easily one of the best parts of the movie. He had Billy Dee’s mannerisms and swagger down pat.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 25, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Milky Moor posted:

It's also part of the whole problem with these endless origin movies where literally everything Character X related from the original happened over this one weekend. Did we need to know the exiting origin of the Falcons GPS? It also leads to a problem I have that I don't really have a word or phrase to describe, but essentially it's "everything is important". the Falcon can't just have a wonky computer like everything else on the ship is wonky, It has to be the end result of some character arc and have "significance". Han can't just be calling the Falcon "baby" like people call their cars, no it's because now the ship is literally a girl robot. It makes the movie feel, I don't know, unreal?, ungrounded?, inhuman? Every line of dialogue from the original is taken so incredibly literally it's like the writers don't understand english.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Woody Harrelson actually being bad was one of the most tepid twists ever

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Wait y'all actually liked Fuckable Droid Rights Bot? She was one of the things I hated most about this not-very-good movie.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

galagazombie posted:

It's also part of the whole problem with these endless origin movies where literally everything Character X related from the original happened over this one weekend. Did we need to know the exiting origin of the Falcons GPS? It also leads to a problem I have that I don't really have a word or phrase to describe, but essentially it's "everything is important". the Falcon can't just have a wonky computer like everything else on the ship is wonky, It has to be the end result of some character arc and have "significance". Han can't just be calling the Falcon "baby" like people call their cars, no it's because now the ship is literally a girl robot. It makes the movie feel, I don't know, unreal?, ungrounded?, inhuman? Every line of dialogue from the original is taken so incredibly literally it's like the writers don't understand english.

it's the same kind of unearned importance and poring over details that leads to every background character in the OT and their mom having a backstory book in the old EU

it was dreadfully clear that disney was swallowing their own kool-aid about the importance of han solo's legend (even as a young pre-ANH dipshit) when lord and miller were chastised for treating the movie like a comedy. so everything that happens in this movie has to tie into the already existing legend by retroactively inflating the importance of every incidental detail

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Gonz posted:

Also, apparently Chewie eats people.

I think they mention that they haven't fed Chewie in days, so it was more like Imperial racism. I don't know if Chewie was actually trying to eat Han or just attacking him because he was mad.

He definitely should have pictured Han with the body of a roasted Porg like it was a Looney Tunes episode though.

Gonz posted:

I really want to know what kind of direction Ron Howard could have been giving her that she liked so much more than Lord & Miller's "you're a woman from a film noir" because I didn't see much of anything on screen. I'm neutral about her on Game of Thrones and actually didn't hate her in Terminator Genisys but, man, this was a nothing role as written and she brought nothing to it.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
can't wait for A Star Wars Story about the hammerhead guy from the ANH cantina

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kevin Palpatine posted:

can't wait for A Star Wars Story about the hammerhead guy from the ANH cantina

I want a behind the music of jizz

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone said how the Lord/Miller version of this movie would have been better yet? Because I will. The Lord/Miller version of this movie would definitely have been better. They probably wouldn’t have had anything as stupid as making Lando upset about the death of a ridiculous anarchist fuckbot either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BarronsArtGallery posted:

LMFAO remember when a bunch of sperg-rear end-losers were bitching about Hosnian Prime because OMG IT HAS FIVE HABITABLE PLANETS IN ONE SYSTEM?

I have heard a lot of bullshit complaints about TFA, but I have never heard anyone mention this one, even in passing. Who was mad about that? Is this really a thing you've seen a bunch of people bitching about?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Has anyone said how the Lord/Miller version of this movie would have been better yet? Because I will. The Lord/Miller version of this movie would definitely have been better. They probably wouldn’t have had anything as stupid as making Lando upset about the death of a ridiculous anarchist fuckbot either.

why are we all calling her a "fuckbot". thats a bit weird.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Escobarbarian posted:

Woody Harrelson actually being bad was one of the most tepid twists ever

I wouldn't really call it a twist, since the movie basically has Han wink at the audience and go "yeah, I know what you're thinking, I thought so too"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

George H.W. oval office posted:

I want a behind the music of jizz

MAX REBO: A Star Wars Story
Coming 2035

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why did Emilia Clarke go through the whole charade of pinning Han with the sword and then turning on Paul Bettany rather than just letting Han shoot the guy?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
in-universe reason: because she had personal beef with the bad guy?
realistic reason: more twist-fake-outs make good movie iunno lol

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Aurra sing being pushed off a cliff is hilarious. They mentioned a pair of sisters before they mentioned bossk, would those be the twins we see in Mos Eisley?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

cargohills posted:

why are we all calling her a "fuckbot". thats a bit weird.

...Because there is a scene where she talks about how Lando fucks her?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Jon Favreau character was comedy poison; I was relieved he was dispatched quickly.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

General Dog posted:

The Jon Favreau character was comedy poison; I was relieved he was dispatched quickly.

I haven’t seen the movie yet so I don’t know if you’re joking or not. It’s impossible to tell

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven’t seen the movie yet so I don’t know if you’re joking or not. It’s impossible to tell

He’s not.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Gonz posted:

And more of Thandie Newton and Jon Favreau‘s Mini Goro character, Rio Durant.

Yeah this is one of the problems, they introduce a crew of likable miscreants, kill them off, and introduce a much more boring crew

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

That character truly stunk lol

Thandie Newton was awesome though and I wish we’d had more of her

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Darth Maul’s appearance in this movie gets stupider and stupider the more I think about it.

I know it wasn’t his choice here but Lucas not bringing him back in Ep. and 2 was one of the few things I respected about the prequels. Like, why.:lol:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
18-year-old me watching the end of Solo (simulated): "Holy poo poo! That's awesome!"
36-year-old me watching the end of Solo (actual): "What the gently caress?"

What I want now from whatever movie comes out next is to absolutely destroy the canon and gently caress with everything so that I can be free of this series once and for all. Like,
- Snoke actually WAS Mace Windu after all!
- Han Solo's ex-girlfriend from this movie is Kylo Ren's REAL mother!
- In accordance with Star Wars Universe Black Person Regulations, Finn was actually the son of Lando!
- Boba Fett is still alive and has his sights set Kylo Ren!

all mentioned within the span of 5 minutes

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 25, 2018

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So I read somewhere that they explain Han's name in the film and apparently it is stupid. Could someone stick it in spoilers please? than kyou

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

McDragon posted:

So I read somewhere that they explain Han's name in the film and apparently it is stupid. Could someone stick it in spoilers please? than kyou

It is incredibly stupid. Probably the worst scene of the movie

HTH!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

McDragon posted:

This is the spoilers thread. Han doesn’t give his last name and says he’s alone to an officer when joining the Imperial Navy so the officer puts down Solo as a last name.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah this is one of the problems, they introduce a crew of likable miscreants, kill them off, and introduce a much more boring crew

Yeah, I kinda wanted a whole movie of the first group. I think this movie could've been two or three and been a lot better for it.

Milky Moor posted:

I feel like in a movie with a better pace she might have been able to get more subtle characterization and would've worked a lot better.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 25, 2018

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

eyebeem posted:

It is incredibly stupid. Probably the worst scene of the movie

HTH!

Right on the first part, but I thought we all agreed that the worst scene of the whole movie was Darth Maul? I mean, c'mon, we were like three minutes away from an entire Star Wars movie without a single lightsaber and he has to gently caress it up. Not even to kill someone or anything, just to go LOOK I HAVE A RED LIGHTSABER OOOOO!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mezzanine posted:

Right on the first part, but I thought we all agreed that the worst scene of the whole movie was Darth Maul? I mean, c'mon, we were like three minutes away from an entire Star Wars movie without a single lightsaber and he has to gently caress it up. Not even to kill someone or anything, just to go LOOK I HAVE A RED LIGHTSABER OOOOO!

Honestly if this is the solo movie it would have been better if she had double crossed Han face to face and basically taught him Harrelson's lesson right then and there, which makes his just straight up merking the guy make more sense and be his 'heel' turn, and then had Saw come in and just take the stuff from him anyway, leaving him for dead and taking pity on him or something to get to the last part.

And Saw would've been a far better callback than Maul for that sequence.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mezzanine posted:

True, but I was 4 beers in and half asleep by the end of the movie, so it had little impact on me.

Everyone today is asking me how it was and all I can come up with is “fine. It’s fine.”

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I loved Darth Maul showing up because it was the one thing in that whole movie I never would have predicted beforehand.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mezzanine posted:

That crime dude kinda had lightsaber brass knuckles. What the hell were those.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, I'll give you that. Also don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that he showed up, I just think it was the worst. Nothing in the movie upset me. In fact, I think I'm starting to derive too much pleasure from other people getting pissed off about any of these movies, Star Wars, Marvel, whatever. I was grinning ear to ear through the end of Infinity War, and I was enjoying listening to some guy behind me last night moaning about "Why the hell did they bring him back? This undoes everything that's happened to this point!". Not sure what he meant exactly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

That crime dude kinda had lightsaber brass knuckles. What the hell were those.

Vibro-(knives, axes, etc) have been a thing for a long time in SW lore, just not on film. I assumed that's what they were. Like, a step down from lightsabers but better than plain old sharp-bladed stuff because it can cut through metal or armor or whatever.