Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
One man's "awesome" is another man's septic tank sludge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Harime Nui posted:

You want sentient holograms in STar Wars?

I mean personally I'd loving love it. Have Rey be a clone created from Anakin's tissue that Palpatine meant to insert his brain into when he got too old; she fell off the back of the clone truck during the Battle of Jakku and thinks she's just been there "her whole life." Have galactic politics turn out to be a long chess match between technology-based Sith holograms and Jedi "ghosts" from the psi-web. They'd never, ever do anything close to that awesome but whatever.

Just do a shot for shot remake of Dark Empire already.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Dishwasher posted:

I think the Empire was probably really good at the nuts and bolts of stability, especially coming off the Biggest War Ever Fought. Nobody lacked food at least not in the areas that would hamper the Empire politically, everyone was banded together under one flag (loved the propaganda videos set to an upbeat imperial march theme in Solo), and things were probaaly just fine for people like Random Walking Extra #39 and #219 because they were able to go about their lives, work their jobs, and feed their families. Just like our reality, the cops are still total dickheads but people will always immediately ask "What did they 'do' to get accosted and shot at?" without thinking they may be next in front of that rifle because, afterall, "they" aren't breaking the law (today).

If the fact that the whole galaxy from nowhere places like Tatooine to the capital of the Empire itself immediately breaking out into massive celebrations at word of the Emperors death isn't a sign of deep, longstanding, discontent I don't know what is. From what we see in ANH and ESB the normal man on the street seems to suffer from the Empires rule. Biggs and Luke talk in the deleted scenes about how the Empire screws over poor farmers like Uncle Owen, we see Stormtroopers pushing aside what looks like a Soup Kitchen, Lando implies that places like Cloud City are crushed by the Imperial system and have to remain hidden, plus the fact him just saying "The Empire is moving in" is enough to cause Ice Cream Machine Man and the rest of the city to mass evacuate. Heck a government willing to blow up its own member states like Alderaan doesn't just jump straight to that point, it has to be the kind of govt. that's been stomping on its people for a while. This as others point out makes the New Republic seem just that much more pathetic. Since even with all that, nobody gives a drat about it and is literally willing to throw in/lay down for an Imperial successor state.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It would have been cool if...

Im TLJ Snoke ended up just being a sith hologram/holocron from long ago. He could still use the force but was bound to the holocron. For the throne room scene he would have possessed a host (probably some kind of intimidating trooper in full-faced helmet and armor) and battled Kylo & Rey. Maybe the holocron gets destroyed in the end. This would have wrapped up Snoke neatly, added to the world building (we see the dark-side version of Yoda & Obi-Wan-style force ghosts) and set up a juxtaposition of Snoke's cruel possession vs Luke's heroic projection.

When watching this I was certain Kylo was just going to kill himself to complete the emo cycle that was started by teenage Anakin to bring the force back into balance or something.

That said I was also expecting Rey and Kylo to turn like a rehash of the Kotor plot.

cuntman.net posted:

i was hoping he was actually 50 feet tall

Also me.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for Kylo Ren to be fiddling with Snoke's hologram projector and finds Snoke's hidden "Quintuple my size" setting so we can get a callback to the Thrawn Trilogy

"I see you've discovered the Emperor's private hologram setting."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Top Gun posted:

What if I told you the Walt Disney Company is now under the influence of a Sith Lord called...Kathleen Kennedy!

She also blocked James Gunn from coming back so she can replace him with a female director who will make the plot of Guardians 3 be about a feminist cyborg uprising lsd by Nebula.

That sounds dope as gently caress, I'll have one ticket please.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Watchmen is playing on TNT-East and Episode III is playing on TNT-West

I did some thinking for a minute and I just realize that I would easily watch any Zack Snyder film over that poo poo film any day of the week.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Preston Waters posted:

Watchmen is playing on TNT-East and Episode III is playing on TNT-West

I did some thinking for a minute and I just realize that I would easily watch any Zack Snyder film over that poo poo film any day of the week.

I thought Watchmen was a Zack Snyder film?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zack Snyder owns tho.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Zoran posted:

I thought Watchmen was a Zack Snyder film?

It is. I'm just saying I'd watch any of his shittier films over Episode 3.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Even Sucker Punch?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm conflicted with Zack Snyder because the aesthetic is very much my poo poo but it's usually coupled with a bad movie.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm conflicted with Zack Snyder because the aesthetic is very much my poo poo but it's usually coupled with a bad movie.

He's an incredibly overrated disturbingly fascist hack. He wasn't even involved in the storyboarding for 300 yet he gets all the credit for the style of the film. His movies are like case studies in ruining poo poo with toxic masculinity.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

kidkissinger posted:

He's an incredibly overrated disturbingly fascist hack. He wasn't even involved in the storyboarding for 300 yet he gets all the credit for the style of the film. His movies are like case studies in ruining poo poo with toxic masculinity.

I'm curious as to where you're seeing his films portraying fascism and toxic masculinity as good things, outside of an extremely surface-level reading of 300.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kidkissinger posted:

gently caress off.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"toxic masculinity"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

sorry for posting star wars spoilers in the star wars spoilers thread

https://makingstarwars.net/2018/08/a-first-glimpse-of-the-millennium-falcon-from-black-park-star-wars-episode-ix-set-gallery/

can't wait to go back to the forest moon of endor to destroy the death star 4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ingmar terdman posted:

can't wait to go back to the forest moon of endor to destroy the death star 4

There's been a bunch of rumours about how they're going to revisit multiple older planets, e.g. that they're shooting Mustafar scenes at Mt. Etna and Naboo scenes in Italy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!
With all these rumours, I kind of wonder if they aren't leaking ideas from brainstorming to see what sticks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm curious as to where you're seeing his films portraying fascism and toxic masculinity as good things, outside of an extremely surface-level reading of 300.

I hate to break it to you, but 300 isn't Starship Troopers even a little bit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kidkissinger posted:

I hate to break it to you, but 300 isn't Starship Troopers even a little bit.

You're right, it's a lot more blatant.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You're right, it's a lot more blatant.

If they had actually mentioned how broken Spartan society was in any way, even in the background you might have an argument.

In reality, it's a movie about big tough oily men killing Arab monstrosities.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

And I'm sorry, what in Snyder's catalogue has ever suggested he had a sense of irony at all?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I mean they literally show you the Spartans throwing screaming babies into a pit full of bones and debauched Spartan priests pawing some girl drugged off her gourd

e: Cersei Lannister literally summarily executes a dude on the Senate Floor and everybody's like "hell yeah you go girl death to traitors"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

If they had actually mentioned how broken Spartan society was in any way, even in the background you might have an argument.

You mean like the very first scene of the movie, where Spartans decide whether or not to throw a baby off a cliff while a pile of dead baby skulls fills the screen?

You should really stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Harime Nui posted:

I mean they literally show you the Spartans throwing screaming babies into a pit full of bones and debauched Spartan priests pawing some girl drugged off her gourd

e: Cersei Lannister literally summarily executes a dude on the Senate Floor and everybody's like "hell yeah you go girl death to traitors"

That whole sequence just seemed like a way to make Leonidas seem more badass but whatever

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The best satire is indistinguishable from the real thing.

All that poo poo in 300 was presented as a positive, baby pile included. What do you get when a baby misses the pile? Traitorous loving hunchbacks!

I like how there was a non warrior career politician in the Spartan counsel when that was simply not a thing, just so that career politicians could be painted as traitors.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

That whole sequence just seemed like a way to make Leonidas seem more badass but whatever

So you believe in the possibility that a scene full of dead babies can portray the protagonist as badass? Hypothetically, I mean? That the protagonist participating in throwing children to their death can make them seem badass to somebody?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Leonidas is disgusted with the priests and defies them and all, but he certainly isn't doing anything about them. In fact he's protecting them, even if his main concern is his own family.

Is the moral of the story that corruption is okay if it's coming from Our Team's Locker Room?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So you believe in the possibility that a scene full of dead babies can portray the protagonist as badass? Hypothetically, I mean? That the protagonist participating in throwing children to their death can make them seem badass to somebody?

Man, have you ever met people in the armed forces?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kidkissinger posted:

Did you watch Wolf of Wall Street and think Jordan Belfort was just the coolest loving dude?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

Man, have you ever met people in the armed forces?

Yes. My wife's poor cousins. Nice kids, but they got indoctrinated into some pretty silly poo poo.

*thinks back to the beginning of 300*

...oh.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign [Gerard Butler] in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder:
He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Goons: less sense for irony than Zack Snyder, director of 300.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you were to make 300 earnestly, as a propaganda piece, aggrandizing everything the Spartans do and going out of your way to make Persians and disabled people into inhuman caricatures, what would you do differently?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't think there's anything you can do to make classic Spartan culture look OK from a modern perspective. They were a pretty appalling bunch of fucksticks TBQHWYF.

e: I mean they basically won their civilization's equivalent of WWII and like 40 years later they were essentially chucked out of international politics because they were such high-handed arrogant fuckwizards that everybody hated them.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2018

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It's like you people don't remember that killing people with birth defects and believing it was cool and necessary to make themselves "badass" is not something real-world fascists believe and have literally done. Thinking 300 is not sincere is like thinking The Birth of a Nation is a satirical call for equal rights and the inherent dignity of all men.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

If you were to make 300 earnestly, as a propaganda piece, aggrandizing everything the Spartans do and going out of your way to make Persians and disabled people into inhuman caricatures, what would you do differently?

300 is very literally a movie about a guy telling propaganda to soldiers before battle. He's simply good at what he does, which is why the Spartans appear appealing despite their monstrousness.

e:

galagazombie posted:

It's like you people don't remember that killing people with birth defects and believing it was cool and necessary to make themselves "badass" is not something real-world fascists believe and have literally done. Thinking 300 is not sincere is like thinking The Birth of a Nation is a satirical call for equal rights and the inherent dignity of all men.

So the problem is that... a movie about Spartans illustrates Spartan mindset?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

You think it's badass to throw babies off a cliff? I think the problem lies more with the viewer than the movie in this case

Aside from that it also portrays people seeking peace as traitorous rapists and also coincidentally have the other traitor be a horribly disfigured hunchback, all the while portraying the invading persians as monstrous and inhuman.

At the end of the movie we find that this was all a tale narrated by one od the spartans, who i am absolutely sure was totally truthful and not at all embellished or twisted facts or outright lied.

You dummy

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My fellow soldiers ate that loving movie up. I think the only movie I saw even close to as much when deployed was maybe V for Vendetta.

McCloud posted:

At the end of the movie we find that this was all a tale narrated by one od the spartans, who i am absolutely sure was totally truthful and not at all embellished or twisted facts or outright lied.

One bit of possible shade does not undo the whole movie. A movie is all just a tale told to us by some director, who I am sure was totally truthful and not embellishing at all.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

remusclaw posted:

My fellow soldiers ate that loving movie up. I think the only movie I saw even close to as much when deployed was maybe V for Vendetta.

They would have eaten up Robocop as well.

galagazombie posted:

It's like you people don't remember that killing people with birth defects and believing it was cool and necessary to make themselves "badass" is not something real-world fascists believe and have literally done.

So your argument is that because the movie shows fascists things that were actually done it's not a satire. Good argument.