Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

He also flies around in the imperial flagship the size of a small country in order to enforce the will of the Emperor.

The idea is that he's only doing that to bide his time until he can supplant the Emperor and turn the Empire into a Communist Utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darth Vader stated explicitly his ideal form of government a few movies later: someone wise should command someone powerful to make all other powers get along and decide what's best for everyone. He came to see himself as the enforcer in this arrangement, and for a while in his youth he saw Palpatine as an ideal ruler.

He was specifically against democracy, and wasn't enough of a political theorist to have a suggestion about how this wise person should be chosen. However, as soon as Palpatine proved himself unworthy in his eyes, he started plotting to overthrow him (though it took him 20 years to finish the job, and it was more literal than he expected), so I guess the idea is the enforcer would kill even the ruler if they were evil.

It's convenient that the Chosen One was around to be the obvious choice for dictator.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno, I'm not gonna be able to fully explain it, I'm just remembering bits and pieces from past SMG posts.

Ah, SMG as directed by JJ Abrams

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

well why not posted:

SMG please expand on Vader’s full communism thank you

I’ll do so by going on a complete tangent!

When Rey’s parents are said to have ‘sold her to protect her’, this dumb line is contextualized by the fact that she is specifically being protected from the influence of literal Satan. Rey’s parents made her a slave as a ‘tough love’ lesson in humility, sympathy for the oppressed, or whatever. It’s basically like being sent to a nunnery. Again, literally: she’s sent to a place where Satan could not find her.

[The ST does an astonishingly poor job of conveying it, but everything makes a lot more sense when you recall that Anakin Skywalker is Literally God and Sheev Palpatine is Literally The Devil. Forgetting this is why people have so much consternation over the ‘bloodline’ thing.]

Knowing in advance that Rey would be the most powerful being in the Galaxy, how to prevent her becoming like pre-lava Anakin - committing massacres to protect his wife and mother, etc.? Clearly, her parents needed to cut those familial ties. No attachments.

This, of course, is the polar opposite of how Ben’s parents keep begging him to reunite with the family and serve Satan. Even before THE DEAD SPOKE, every astute reader of Star Wars knew the Republic was awful, and that it gave birth to Palpatine. Ben Solo knew this, so Luke attempted to kill him in his sleep.

Note that, in the ST, Palpatine’s entire plan (before Rey appeared) was to make Luke the new Emperor. Snoke was created to push Luke into ascending and taking the throne, via reverse psychology:

“I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise. [Luke] Skywalker, I assumed.“

Snoke was a strawman Soviet created to do the polar opposite of Palpatine’s actual goals, so that the heroes - in uniting against this ‘spectre of communism’ - would unwittingly become his allies. Like, go back to TFA’s opening text:

“Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.”

It’s outright stated in ROS that Leia’s doing precisely what Palpatine wants here. Palpatine wants Luke to rise up and enforce peace. He wants Luke alive, because Luke’s true victory was to choose death by lightning-torture over false justice. Ben Solo was, all along, fighting Palpatine.

So what we have is not quite a redemption arc at all, but a “Ben was right all along and Han Solo deserved to die” arc.

Halloween Jack posted:

I still do not understand how "rule the galaxy as father and son" means communism. Was George Lucas a devotee of Juche Thought?

In ESB, Luke is specifically the leader of the “Rogue” freedom fighters, a left-wing splinter group, while Vader himself is a ‘subhuman’ slave. Vader is proposing an alliance of the proletarians on both sides of the conflict.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2020

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In ESB, Luke is specifically the leader of the “Rogue” freedom fighters, a left-wing splinter group

Is there any evidence for this in the film other than the fact that his snowspeeder crew goes by the callsign “rogue”? The crawl makes it sound like Luke is the de facto leader of the entire Hoth base. And to them, he’s “commander skywalker”

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In ESB, Luke is specifically the leader of the “Rogue” freedom fighters, a left-wing splinter group, while Vader himself is a ‘subhuman’ slave. Vader is proposing an alliance of the proletarians on both sides of the conflict.
Luke and Vader both clearly want something more than the status quo on either side of the current conflict, but this is pretty thin gruel for an atheist Christian leftist interpretation.

Also it may gratify you slightly to know that "The Republic and the Empire are the same" is now official Disney Canon as of Rebels Season 3.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vader fought the Republic, Luke fought the Empire, those two are actually the same thing, but they still couldn't find common ground, and their fight became really vicious and personal. A leftist tragedy as old as time

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

Is there any evidence for this in the film other than the fact that his snowspeeder crew goes by the callsign “rogue”? The crawl makes it sound like Luke is the de facto leader of the entire Hoth base. And to them, he’s “commander skywalker”

“It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.
Evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker have established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth.”

At the end of A New Hope, Leia hosed over entire Rebellion because she believed the Senate had her back. With the Senate gone, and the Rebels’ main base destroyed, the Rebellion is in a shambles. This is where Luke heads off on his own.

The entire basic narrative of Empire is that Luke is dissatisfied with the Rebellion (whose goal is to restore the Republic) and goes off on his own to rethink everything. Yoda and Ghost Ben train him to be stronger, but also feed Luke a bunch of horseshit to keep him complacent. Ultimately, when confronted with the truth - that the Republic is bad, the Jedi are liars, and an alliance with Vader is the only way to stop Palpatine - Luke chickens out and retreats down a hole.

When we see Luke again, in the next film, he’s fully deluded himself into believing “certain points of view” and all that - acting like Quigon Jinn and being a dumb rear end in a top hat, up until he realizes what a fool he’s been. Then he submits himself to torture-death.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 30, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

2house2fly posted:

Iirc the bounty hunters scene is important; Vader willingly puts himself among the "scum" the Empire disdains and gets on noticeably better with Boba Fett than he does with his own admirals

I actually like that quite a bit. Boba had the balls to say Han is worth a lot of money knowing what Vader could do to him and Vader basically says "Yeah, visit the business office and they'll cut you a check if he croaks." A level of respect. Nothing more than doing business.

That of course is in contrast with the weasels he force chokes after he gets a status update on Hoth and an apology from another. I don't think Vader fell for butt kissing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's one of those "Luke, I am your father," "Beam me up, Scotty" kind of things. It's become a truism that everyone but the Emperor is terrified of Vader, even though an officer questions his judgment in the first scene of the first movie. Boba Fett and Daine Jir have a normal working relationship with him because they're not useless weasels.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Vader Drift

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The only way to kiss up to Vader is to do your job and do it well

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

multijoe posted:

He also flies around in the imperial flagship the size of a small country in order to enforce the will of the Emperor.

Empire Strikes Back opening crawl posted:

It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial troops have driven the Rebel forces from their hidden base and pursued them across the galaxy.

Evading the Imperial Starfleet, a group of freedom fighters led by Luke Skywalker has established a new secret base on the remote ice world of Hoth.

The evil lord Darth Vader, obsessed with finding young Skywalker, has dispatched thousands of remote probe droids into the far reaches of space...

At this point he couldn't give a gently caress about the empire and is using as much of its resources as possible JUST to get to his son, even convincing the emperor to allow this instead of just going "yes my emperor" or whatever and then doing whatever he wanted anyway. That conversation is interesting because he convinces the emperor so easily, who upon confirming their bond through the force gives Vader the key to reuniting with his son even sooner by hunting down his friends and torturing/etc. them when he can't find Luke directly.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 30, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Halloween Jack posted:

It's one of those "Luke, I am your father," "Beam me up, Scotty" kind of things. It's become a truism that everyone but the Emperor is terrified of Vader, even though an officer questions his judgment in the first scene of the first movie. Boba Fett and Daine Jir have a normal working relationship with him because they're not useless weasels.

I doubt the rank and file storm troopers are particularly scared of him for similar reasons, they're already in the army so they're already going to just go blow up whatever he tells them to without much trouble.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Surprised nobody posted this test footage from the canceled Star Wars: Underworld yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpTOwXVu8g

Get it while it's hot, because if it's real, as it appears to be, I can't imagine Disney wanting it to stay up. But at this point it's probably a lost cause to try to pull it down.

Fully looks like a fanfilm, but it's just test footage. According to reports at the time, Lucasfilm didn't think that it was ready for prime-time after they shot it so it makes sense that it's rough. Neat that it's all in real-time and was the forbearer to the way The Mandalorian was shot almost a decade later, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 30, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like the part where she walks by the Stormtrooper holding her hood down in front of her face in the most ostentatious manner imaginable.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

General Dog posted:

I like the part where she walks by the Stormtrooper holding her hood down in front of her face in the most ostentatious manner imaginable.

I like the part where neither side can shoot a person standing literally six feet away from them.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SolarFire2 posted:

I like the part where neither side can shoot a person standing literally six feet away from them.
Looked like a scene from Police Squad!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Hey, Luke left his X-wing on Cloud City. Whose X-wing was he flying in the next movie?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Hey, Luke left his X-wing on Cloud City. Whose X-wing was he flying in the next movie?

Lobot fled Bespin in Luke’s X-Wing and gave it back to him when they rendezvoused with the Rebel fleet.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

New Auralnauts video REJOICE!!

https://youtu.be/EeRyfOtpc8Y

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Surprised nobody posted this test footage from the canceled Star Wars: Underworld yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tpTOwXVu8g

Get it while it's hot, because if it's real, as it appears to be, I can't imagine Disney wanting it to stay up. But at this point it's probably a lost cause to try to pull it down.

Fully looks like a fanfilm, but it's just test footage. According to reports at the time, Lucasfilm didn't think that it was ready for prime-time after they shot it so it makes sense that it's rough. Neat that it's all in real-time and was the forbearer to the way The Mandalorian was shot almost a decade later, though.

This looks like firefly.

And way worse than the sequels, to counter that YouTube commenter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still want those scripts from the Lucas vaults.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Halloween Jack posted:

Also it may gratify you slightly to know that "The Republic and the Empire are the same" is now official Disney Canon as of Rebels Season 3.

How could it not be?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jiro posted:

New Auralnauts video REJOICE!!

https://youtu.be/EeRyfOtpc8Y

excellent

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Pablo is testing new experimental noneuclidean hypercanon where he goes back and uncanonizes then recanonizes things explicitly stated in the movies

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

I was like oh this is a neat concept and then just started laughing

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

No Mods No Masters posted:

Pablo is testing new experimental noneuclidean hypercanon where he goes back and uncanonizes then recanonizes things explicitly stated in the movies

A previously unknown consequence of the firing of the Starkiller Weapon was the destabilization of causality and distance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

A previously unknown consequence of the firing of the Starkiller Weapon was the destabilization of causality and distance.

Previously unknown my rear end, it was right on the warning label

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Thinking about Vader's political intentions further, the fact that he offered the throne to Luke suggests that he actually wants for the galaxy what Luke wanted. He trusts Luke to use absolute power incorruptibly the same way he trusted Padme. Perhaps he's just projecting his loneliness and sorrow onto him; it's not like they've met before.

Still, not all the rebels are republicans - although led and named by a faction that just wants the Senate back, they're an alliance because they have a common enemy in Sheev. The movies are vague about how radical Leia grew after she lost her office, her title, her family, her home, and her people all on the same day, but since her and Luke's band doesn't seem well-funded and doesn't have Mon Mothma in it, I think it's reasonable to suppose it's one of the more radical splinters. Vader surely knew something of his stance, but then, he wanted Padme, a lifelong committed republican, to be the dictator, so his opposition to republicanism doesn't tell us much about Luke.

He did know he'd have to undo some of Obi-Wan's indoctrination, which is why his plan was to capture him and take him somewhere else before going to Sheev with him, someplace free of interference, Mustafar maybe, where he could offer him a shot at killing the Emperor personally. I don't think he counted on the big lie and how determined an enemy it made him. He also didn't know he'd been in contact with Yoda and had another way to receive training in the Jedi arts.

When Luke shows up later and is like "actually we don't need help killing the Emperor and I don't need training, but do you want to come be a rebel anyway?" Vader just proceeds with the endgame of his original plan, doubting the attack on the Death Star can succeed and too afraid to turn on Sheev without backup.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

I think it's reasonable to suppose it's one of the more radical splinters. Vader surely knew something of his stance, but then, he wanted Padme, a lifelong committed republican, to be the dictator, so his opposition to republicanism doesn't tell us much about Luke.

The error here is in mixing up Anakin with Vader, and missing the progression of the narrative.

After Anakin’s immolation, we have the sequence where he and Padme both kill the Republic via their suicides. Though they are unaware of each-other’s actions, Padme literally kills herself - and, at that same moment, Anakin himself dies and is fully replaced by Vader. Lucas included the famous “NOOO” to mark the exact point where the Anakin identity ceases to exist.

This is also why Lucas included a second “NOOO” in Return Of The Jedi, as it happens: to mark the exact point where Vader dies and he regresses back to being the ‘merely fascist’ Anakin. Until that exact point in ROTJ, Vader fully identifies with his ethical mask, which stands for (among other things) his absolute lack of any pathological attachment to the Republic.

Recall that Anakin fantasized himself as a pathetic worm serving the ‘angelic’ arch-Republican Padme. The dynamic in Empire Strikes Back is altogether opposite. Luke (as a ‘mere’ populist) is in a subordinate position, because this is obviously not akin to a ‘balanced’ coupling of husband and wife. It is a relationship between a child and his God, where the onus is on Luke to become ethical.

But, outside of his brief decision to die rather than save the Republic, Luke does not behave ethically in any of the 9 films.

Again, it’s very simple to note that Palpatine is Literal Satan, and Luke ultimately fails to defeat him. Only Ben Solo strives to finish what Vader started. And this is not Satan as some silly abstraction; the Lucas films are extremely clear about exactly how the Republic is sinful.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vinylshadow posted:

Reminds me of that old doodle someone did shortly after TFA came out where Chewie has a bead on Kylo Ren, then remembers the time they spent together, then aims for a gutshot rather than a headshot

Gut shots can still kill. Chewie felt more bad about roasting that porg

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, I see people see those planets exploding and that communicates an idea that they're significant to those people. It's not "space and time don't matter when you're telling a story." It's "time and space are malleable when you're telling a story." And they're exceptionally malleable in Star Wars, which is why you can extrapolate that any location is very close to any other location.

Seriously. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Star Wars does not give a flying gently caress about physics. We know there's no sound in space. We know you aren't going to be able to go outside of your ship in a vacuum only with an oxygen mask on. We know this with the same certainty that you can't see a system of planets being blown up half a galaxy away or that a payload of bombs don't drop out if there's no gravity. Complaining about physics in Star Wars is about as ignorant as not knowing these "problems" exist in the story imho.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Re: Anakin-Vader's loyalty to space Satan

It was always conditional on being able to save his wife, and remember he wanted his Barbarella to become Queen of the Universe. He was gonna shiv Sheev if Padme had been down.

Once she died he only served the Emperor as a means of venting his rage at the Republican and Jedi remnants. Indulging in the Power of the Dark Side is his only joy left. He knows Sheev played him but he's a cripple now and doesn't see any alternatives until Luke.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, I see people see those planets exploding and that communicates an idea that they're significant to those people. It's not "space and time don't matter when you're telling a story." It's "time and space are malleable when you're telling a story." And they're exceptionally malleable in Star Wars, which is why you can extrapolate that any location is very close to any other location.

The filmmakers wouldn't have to take a questionable approach if they had bothered to establish literally any reason to care about the targets of the Starkiller Base to begin with. If we had a viewpoint character to empathize with or just even people we know getting killed, that gets the job done. JJ resorts to Finn watching the laser fly by because he needs to in order to attach any emotion to the occasion at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
In the recent investors call by EA they noted that Fallen Order easily beat their expectations( Expected 6-8, expecting to do 10 million). Apparently people like Single Player Starwars games. Who knew?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Darth TNT posted:

In the recent investors call by EA they noted that Fallen Order easily beat their expectations( Expected 6-8, expecting to do 10 million). Apparently people like Single Player Starwars games. Who knew?

theyre so loving stupid jesus christ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fallen Order was great. More pls.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

In the broader gaming spectrum, I think people are keen to play a game with decent production values which functions as intended and includes all the content that is advertised on the day it launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a person who is terrible at video games, I have less than zero interest in getting killed over and over again by a bunch of racist 12 year olds in a mindless deathmatch. I want a neat interactive story with some doodads to collect between cool setpieces. I figure there's got to be as many people like me out there as there are people who just want to prove to a bunch of semi-anonymous strangers how good their fast-twitch muscle control is.