Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ruddiger posted:

I wonder if people were posting Palpatine “Miss me yet?” memes on the holonet in the years after the Empire was dismantled.

It sure seems that way. It seems like a good portion of the galaxy is dying to bring back the good old days, and the rest is just pretty indifferent to the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

God I keep getting astounded at how badly everyone involved has mismanaged this franchise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

Within 5-10 years everybody who's anybody is going to have planet-destroying weaponry. But hell, maybe that's how we finally get a lasting peace.

Finally, the J. J. Abrams adaptation of The Stars My Destination that we've all been waiting for!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

dublish posted:

"Holdo maneuvers are dumb, they're a one-in-a-million shot."

The thing I immediately wondered when watching the movie is if a Holdo maneuver has longer odds than scoring a precise hit with a torpedo on a 2 meter exhaust port?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I called that someone in IX would say "Lightspeed ramming can never be done again you idiot, you absolute moron." in this very thread all the way back when TLJ was released.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every time I see concept art of Rey with a dual blade light saber I get madder at the poo poo we got.

Ray Park just sitting by the phone, waiting for the opportunity to put all the cool staff light saber choreography he's thought up in the past two decades to good use.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mat Cauthon posted:

Ray Park just sitting by the phone, waiting for the opportunity to put all the cool staff light saber choreography he's thought up in the past two decades to good use.

He's not long sat down though, he mocapped for the new season of Clone Wars.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

OctoberCountry posted:

The only concept from the Trevorrow leaks that I've outright hated is the Rey and Poe romance from out of nowhere

Clearly Poe's One True Love is Finn.

Maybe Evil Rey wasn't a hallucination but prophecy that Rey has an evil twin sister, Mey Palpatine. And they make out at some point because siblings do that sometimes in Star Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

So we've got a fleet of 10,000 or maybe 10 million randos from across the galaxy on Exogol, where an entire fleet of Star Destroyers equipped with miniature Death Star cannons have just crashed back to the surface. Is there any reason that every Tom, Dick, and Harry who tagged along won't be able to scavenge the miniature Death Star tech and take it back to their respective militias/terrorist organizations?

Within 5-10 years everybody who's anybody is going to have planet-destroying weaponry. But hell, maybe that's how we finally get a lasting peace.

No doubt had Solo been a huge hit and that now probably a TV show Obi-Wan film, the Boba Fett movie, etc. happened we'd eventually be seeing a Star Wars Story movie about this the same way half of the MCU is "a bad guy found some stuff Tony Stark made" Since that'd be in the sweet spot of "we can have new characters which means new actors getting paid less money" and "we can refer to old Star Wars stuff constantly."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BizarroAzrael posted:

He's not long sat down though, he mocapped for the new season of Clone Wars.

No see, his legs are CG because they got cut off, so they only had to mocap Ray's torso

Yes, they put more CG in a CG cartoon

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

quote:

“Rey lays on the stone slab still injured. “Light fills up the space around her. Particles of energy floating up. She rises with the energy. The light engulfs the frame until we reach a place beyond what we know. The Astral Plane. Yoda, Luke, and Obi Wan appear before her. Rey: “Is this death?” Obi-Wan: “In this place, there is no such thing as death.” Yoda reveals Rey succeeded were they failed. Luke: “You choose to embrace the dark side and the light. To find the balance within.” They offer Rey a choice to stay in the comfort of the Astral Plane or to return to the living where she will experience both love/loss. The spirits fade. Obi-Wan: “You are a Jedi, Rey Solana, but you will not be the last.”

Wait... did they straight up lift an ending from loving EVANGELION??

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Scorsese's Last temptation vibes, kinda cool. Begrudgingly appreciating trevorrow more even though he's still a hack and his IX doesn't sound amazing either

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

The whole "you basically already won but you can either stay here or go back and finish the fight" is like the second-to-last chapter of Harry Potter as well

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

Scorsese's Last temptation vibes, kinda cool. Begrudgingly appreciating trevorrow more even though he's still a hack and his IX doesn't sound amazing either

There's some twitter rando with a Kylo avatar supposedly posting excerpts from the script that's been going around. I don't really buy any of it but this got a laugh out of me.
https://twitter.com/Benredemption/status/1224483810865303553

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

OctoberCountry posted:

There's some twitter rando with a Kylo avatar supposedly posting excerpts from the script that's been going around. I don't really buy any of it but this got a laugh out of me.

gently caress yeah. canon

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

So Hux was the bastard son of Mace Windu? What a twist.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Guy A. Person posted:

The whole "you basically already won but you can either stay here or go back and finish the fight" is like the second-to-last chapter of Harry Potter as well

Uhhh I don't consume media for CHILDREN, only classic anime, ok.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/therpf/status/1224361905172561920

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

He looks like he’s waiting to use the bathroom

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1224818474213572608

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

Of all the things to lift from the finales of EVANGELION this is simultaneously the most boring and funniest. They should’ve doubled down and committed to stealing everything from END.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

no cough

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

well why not posted:

Of all the things to lift from the finales of EVANGELION this is simultaneously the most boring and funniest. They should’ve doubled down and committed to stealing everything from END.
Rey choking the life out of Kylo, collapsing and crying, pan out "I can't stop loving you" swells and showing charred corpses, surrounded by massive deformed Snoke clones charging at them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Kylo, looking down at the raindrops from Ach-To in his hand: I'm so hosed up...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

He didnt just say that, he said in typical disney run this poo poo into the ground fashion that they could make multiple spinoffs from mando. not sure i like that they have 1 popular star wars show and so will now make everything mando related. Just make a bunch of stuff with the same care you put into mandalorian!!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

pretty sure that qualifies as a puppet

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

The future of “Star Wars,” the space opera saga that Disney bought the rights to in 2012 when it purchased Lucasfilm for $4 billion, will be on the small screen. The release of “The Rise of Skywalker” last December ended the nine-film series about the Skywalker clan. It also led Disney to, Iger said, “take a bit of a hiatus in terms of theatrical releases.” The company believed it had over-saturated the market for “Star Wars” sequels and spinoffs — “The Rise of Skywalker” was the lowest grossing of the three most recent installments and 2018’s “Solo” lost money.

“The priority in the next few years is television,” Iger told investors

Episode IX a box office disappointment, all the announced spin off films quietly cancelled and no more theatrical releases for the foreseeable future? Someone unban Wheat Loaf so they can take a well deserved victory lap

Wheat Loaf posted:

There'll probably be more television stuff but movies will most likely be on hiatus for the next decade until everybody gets over themselves.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Wheat loaf made the eminently respectable decision to free himself from star wars chat forever. He's in a better place :unsmith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I imagine that "a bit of a hiatus" means like 3 years and probably within a year or so we'll find out about a theatrical release that's in pre-production. The idea of them letting 10 or even 5 years go by with no Star Wars films sounds ridiculous to me(although I wish they would).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As soon as Waititi finds a script or writes one he will get a movie.

Imho.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Basebf555 posted:

I imagine that "a bit of a hiatus" means like 3 years and probably within a year or so we'll find out about a theatrical release that's in pre-production. The idea of them letting 10 or even 5 years go by with no Star Wars films sounds ridiculous to me(although I wish they would).

Yeah they might just go back to the pace of non-MCU franchise film-making.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"A bit of a hiatus" is 100% code for "we are poo poo canning everyone involved in this mess and will announce a new movie in a year or two after we figure out what we are going to do with this franchise we paid 4 billion for"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They will give it to Fiege probably.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

2house2fly posted:

I'd have liked a reveal that there is no "dark side of the Force" because the Force is just, well, a force. All this "balance" talk is sounds uncomfortably centrist

It'd help is they would show a single dark side user that was not a genocidal maniac. I mean who looks at the emperor and thinks well if I only become half what he is I will find peace.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

"A bit of a hiatus" is 100% code for "we are poo poo canning everyone involved in this mess and will announce a new movie in a year or two after we figure out what we are going to do with this franchise we paid 4 billion for"

hopefully Igar can shitcan himself. But alas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

It'd help is they would show a single dark side user that was not a genocidal maniac. I mean who looks at the emperor and thinks well if I only become half what he is I will find peace.

Maybe Dooku qualifies?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Yoda isn’t genocidal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mace Windu is the obvious choice here. His laser sword is even half red.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Yoda isn’t genocidal.

You don't know what he posts on the holonet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think what's most galling about the ST is that there were some real good gems in the giant pile of poo poo that is the ST. I mean,

Finn breaking the indoctrination, and inciting a stormtrooper rebellion sounds rad as gently caress if they'd followed through
Kylo and Ray had great actors portraying them, especially Kylo, and the semi-romance semi-sibling rivalry thing was interesting
The rich playing both sides of the conflict was a neat idea shoe-horned into a c-plot that went nowhere
The (b)romance between Poe and Finn
Also the implication that the New Republic totally failed the galactic middle class which is what led to the resurgance of neo-fascism is topical, if nothing else, but it's so oblique you easily miss it if you don't pay attention

Honestly, there's fertile ground for starting a new trilogy with just a few tweaks. Leia worked tirelessly to make the New Republic get its poo poo together but because she's the daughter of a war criminal she was frozen out and stonewalled from making progress. She entrusted her son to Luke, believing that the Jedi order was needed to safeguard the republic. Her failure is that the New republic quickly grew stagnant and catered to the wealthy core worlds instead of the outer rims, allowing the remnants of the Empire (reformed into the First order) to grow again.

Luke, pressured to restore the Jedi order, pushes Ben to hard, who's intimidated by the Legacy of his family and flees right into Snokes (or palpetines, whoevers) arms. In shame and guilt, Luke retreats into exile.

Hans never wanted to give up Ben to Luke and grows bitter and estranged from the Skywalkers because he blames them and himself for what happened to his son, and goes back to being a mediocre smuggler because he hates himself and this is borderline self-harming behavior.

There, the setup is almost identical to TFA. Have the first order decapitate the republic leadership by organised terrorist strikes instead of destroying a solar system, Leia, having survived the attacks, sensing the dark side is somehow related to these attacks, sends out Poe to find Luke.and tries to rally the remaining forces of the republic.

From there, the film basically proceeds as it did except that Starkiller isn't a Death star redux, it's just a stronghold or space station that they break into to rescue Ray, who both Hans and Finn grew attached to. The major beats are the same, but it's all a bit more coherent and sets the stage for the other two films.

Lead that into TLJ that explores how the first order is getting support from the rich in the core worlds because they profit from war with Finn and Poe, lay the groundwork for a Stormtrooper insurrection and tie that in to the rich working with the first order, and also focus a bit on the Ray/Kylo/Luke drama, Kylos resentment at how everyone is giving Ray the affection he feels he deserved, and the conflict he feels at going against everything his family stood for. Luke still dies in TLJ, but cut a more remorseful tone against his nephew instead of the taunting one in TLJ.

The final film ties it all together. Poe inherits the leadership role from Leia, Finn leads the Stormtroopers into open rebellion, Kylo is badgered by Luke and ultimately, Ben is brought back to the light side by Ray. At the end of the film Ray is raising a new Jedi order, Ben wanders around the galaxy ronin-style having wacky adventures to make up for being a dipshit, with Luke as a ghost mentor. This is more palatable because he isn't complicit in the murder of billions of people.

There, you got your vague political allusions to add a tiny bit of flavor and controversy (just enough to raise attention and interest, but not enough to actually alienate anyone), you got your family drama, a long coherent plot thread through all three films and seasoned with Nostalgia, but it's not too wild and crazy like Lucas was, it's a nice safe and predictable ride, and the . You wanna go nuts make Finn and Poe the Hans and Leia of the trilogy, with Ray and Kylo being more sibling-rivalry oriented.

:goonsay: