Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Honorary Oscar for George Lucas that only references the original 6 movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yet again we reach the same thesis : 6 - 9 would’ve been better if George did them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

well why not posted:

yet again we reach the same thesis : 6 - 9 would’ve been better if George did them.

nice

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

well why not posted:

7-9

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I said what I said

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

well why not posted:

I said what I said

David Lynch

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

And now I really, really want a David Lynch Star Wars movie.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALjbTo1D5U

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

well why not posted:

I said what I said

Who am I to blow against the wind?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea the idea that there needs to be an old guy space wizard end boss is idiotic, it should’ve just been Rey

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Honestly yeah, Rey defeats Kylo early, slices off his arm and kicks him into the ocean or whatever. Get so drunk on power that she takes over the First Order so she can use her power to shape the world. Everyone has to rehabilitate Kylo take her down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Marxist-Leninist-Rennist Outer-Rimmist Sentient People's Coalition condemns both the fascist Emperor Palpatine and the bourgeois-revisionist New Republic.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea the idea that there needs to be an old guy space wizard end boss is idiotic, it should’ve just been Kylo

Eh. Everything in 7-9 would feel like postscript to the events of I-VI without Palpatine. He’s the meta-author of the whole series. He created the protagonist out of thin air and then controls the plot from every angle. After that everything is low stakes. Unfortunately they included him but in the dumbest way possible, so it’s the worst of both worlds

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Palpatine was never the villain in the OT. He was Vader's backstory and motivation far more than anything else. And Return of the Jedi showed he was never in control, even though he thought he was. Until ROTS i guess rewrote that its not even clear.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Eh. Everything in 7-9 would feel like postscript to the events of I-VI without Palpatine. He’s the meta-author of the whole series. He created the protagonist out of thin air and then controls the plot from every angle. After that everything is low stakes. Unfortunately they included him but in the dumbest way possible, so it’s the worst of both worlds

I feel like trying to figure out how to move forward the Jedi order in a world where there's no space satan to crusade against could be a pretty good story. It still centers around Luke's failure but it's because he tried to bring this outdated concept of warrior monks into a galaxy that didn't really need them anymore. So then the conflict is about how throw down the drat laser sword and start doing some actual good in the universe.

Also it's pretty obvious in retrospect that Palps was only brought out of retirement after RJ did away with Snoke. If he was supposed to return eventually the very minimal they could have done is have the characters in the first two movies make references to Snoke being like the Emperor to set the stage for his return, but he's only ever mentioned once as "Darth Sidious". But again, half-assed Emperor 2.0 is just as dumb and low stakes if in a different way.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Palpatine was never the villain in the OT. He was Vader's backstory and motivation far more than anything else. And Return of the Jedi showed he was never in control, even though he thought he was. Until ROTS i guess rewrote that its not even clear.

I didn’t say villain.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Guy A. Person posted:

I feel like trying to figure out how to move forward the Jedi order in a world where there's no space satan to crusade against could be a pretty good story. It still centers around Luke's failure but it's because he tried to bring this outdated concept of warrior monks into a galaxy that didn't really need them anymore. So then the conflict is about how throw down the drat laser sword and start doing some actual good in the universe.

Maybe the implication of “balance” is that if the Sith are destroyed, the Jedi won’t be necessary anymore, and that would be a desirable outcome.

Kind of like in the Roman Republic when the dictator can step down when the enemy is defeated.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Jewmanji posted:

Nah, Palpatine is entirely unnecessary to the sequels—and if you're going that route, then the sequels really should have had Anakin Skywalker. He's the main antagonist of the original triology and the prequel triology is entirely about him—they could have easily (and should have) made a part of the sequel trilogy about Anakin's force ghost grappling with the crimes he committed as Vader, what "redemption" truly means, and what his legacy will be.

also they totally should have had Anakin's ghost train someone, like maybe Rey after Luke refuses to. Hayden Christensen is right there, slap on some old man makeup and put a filter on him, it's easy!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also while Palpatine is a physical antagonist he is merely a representation of what the films are arguing against. It should be noted his personal defeat is completely unrelated to the overall military defeat and its something I really appreciate about Star Wars until these lovely new films that the villains are not load bearing bosses. Most modern films either Palps would "lose the peoples support" in some stupid scene so we could all feel good about the people suddenly realizing fascism bad or he'd be like in Episode 9 somehow directly connected to beating the fleet.

Both of those narratives are in my opinion fascism participation apologia so Id rather any sequel not have that.

Edit: It really would not have been hard to make a film about the new strange outgrowths of a half republican have imperial remnant galaxy grappling with hundreds if not thousands of new schools of force users and how their ideologies conflict and can be coopted.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nah, Palpatine is entirely unnecessary to the sequels—and if you're going that route, then the sequels really should have had Anakin Skywalker. He's the main antagonist of the original triology and the prequel triology is entirely about him—they could have easily (and should have) made a part of the sequel trilogy about Anakin's force ghost grappling with the crimes he committed as Vader, what "redemption" truly means, and what his legacy will be.

also they totally should have had Anakin's ghost train someone, like maybe Rey after Luke refuses to. Hayden Christensen is right there, slap on some old man makeup and put a filter on him, it's easy!

I like that idea of ghost Anakin helping out people as a kind of penance/redemption. In some hypothetical good sequel trilogy have him appear to Rey or whoever the protagonist with portents and poo poo. And if you go with the "Vader Fanboy" angle for Kylo make the fact he appears to Rey and not Kylo an important contrast.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

galagazombie posted:

I like that idea of ghost Anakin helping out people as a kind of penance/redemption. In some hypothetical good sequel trilogy have him appear to Rey or whoever the protagonist with portents and poo poo. And if you go with the "Vader Fanboy" angle for Kylo make the fact he appears to Rey and not Kylo an important contrast.

You could also have some neat symbolism in having Rey, trained by Anakin, and Kylo, trained by Luke, battling over the Skywalker legacy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You could also have some neat symbolism in having Rey, trained by Anakin, and Kylo, trained by Luke, battling over the Skywalker legacy.

I think that's pushing the involvement of a Force Ghost a but much. How about if Rey is trained by Anakin's apprentice - which means we get a live-action Ahsoka Tano?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm not sure you could pull off Ahsoka without half the audience either going "Who?" or just outright rejecting the idea that Anakin had an an apprentice or that there were other surviving Jedi during the OT.

(Granted, pulling in things that had only been established in the spin-off material would still be better than bringing back Palpatine without setting it up anywhere outside of a loving Fornite event...)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

I'm not sure you could pull off Ahsoka without half the audience either going "Who?" or just outright rejecting the idea that Anakin had an an apprentice or that there were other surviving Jedi during the OT.

(Granted, pulling in things that had only been established in the spin-off material would still be better than bringing back Palpatine without setting it up anywhere outside of a loving Fornite event...)

While I think it would be a mistake to bring Ahsoka in as some sort of big dramatic reveal that assumes everyone knows who she is, you could easily just do a story where the audience gets introduced to her and learns about her history more organically.

It's gotta happen eventually, it's a matter of when not if. There's only a limited number of established characters and Ahsoka was basically the main character of an entire t.v. series so I do think the majority of Star Wars fans are at least aware of her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

While I think it would be a mistake to bring Ahsoka in as some sort of big dramatic reveal that assumes everyone knows who she is, you could easily just do a story where the audience gets introduced to her and learns about her history more organically.
Yes. Clone Wars was a massive success and Rebels is at least generally well-received and successful. Not everyone who's seen a Star Wars movie knows who she is, but she's not obscure.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes. Clone Wars was a massive success and Rebels is at least generally well-received and successful. Not everyone who's seen a Star Wars movie knows who she is, but she's not obscure.

If you're not a massive Star Wars nerd or someone who grew up watching the 3D Clone Wars cartoon she's pretty obscure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ahsoka is one of the voices in RoS, so she is sort of live action now.

I would not have included her whatsoever in my film.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think the only animated-only character you can fold into live action is Zeb, as CGI and voiced by Steve Blum. I'm not counting Rex who was retroactively added probably from a coincidence, or Greivous being a kind of call-foward.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Why would you need to do that? Canon Force Ghost Anakin looks young.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bring back Cad Bane.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bring back Cad Bane.

Next week on Disney+

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trevorrow’s script leaked

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

CelticPredator posted:

Trevorrow’s script leaked

Should've gone with a more absorbent script

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm on page 5.

code:
POE
Okay, let’s blow this thing and go
home.
Oh dear.

edit:
code:
The Capitol Guards lead Biss Kova to a guillotine with a
hissing LIGHTBLADE poised above. He stares silently ahead.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 12, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ha, Kylo gets his face burned by a Sith holocron and gets a Vader like mask with a Vader like breathing sound.

code:
Kylo’s medical slab rises vertical. He looks into a mirror at
his altered face--half covered with smelted iron, a monster.

KYLO
Finish it.

A NEW MASK lowers onto his head and locks into place,
spitting steam. We don’t see the front of it, not yet.
A strip of glowing buttons light up the underside of his
forearm. The Med Droid presses a code. The helmet beeps.

MED DROID
Breathe.

He does. A new sound, different than Vader’s. Gutteral. Deep.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, Kylo gets his face burned by a Sith holocron and gets a Vader like mask with a Vader like breathing sound.

code:
Kylo’s medical slab rises vertical. He looks into a mirror at
his altered face--half covered with smelted iron, a monster.

KYLO
Finish it.

A NEW MASK lowers onto his head and locks into place,
spitting steam. We don’t see the front of it, not yet.
A strip of glowing buttons light up the underside of his
forearm. The Med Droid presses a code. The helmet beeps.

MED DROID
Breathe.

He does. A new sound, different than Vader’s. Gutteral. Deep.

Lmao

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

code:
The Capitol Guards lead Biss Kova to a guillotine with a
hissing LIGHTBLADE poised above. He stares silently ahead.

No Mods No Masters posted:

How would a lightsaber guillotine work anyway, you ask. Well here's an artistic rendering

I take no pleasure in being the disney understander. But drat if I'm not it

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Seems like a superior design. No cleaning or sharpening the blade

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This script leans on in Rey/Poe HARD. But to a point where Poe is coming off as pushy and creepy.

I mean, this is the guy who also wrote Jurassic World, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, this is the guy who also wrote Jurassic World, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Trevorrow wrote both Jurassic Worlds.