Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

Nah, just Snyder, who would like to work without being outwardly seen as politically wrongheaded and whoever likes his work, for the sake of well, evangelizing why they like his work.

Saying a popular film maker wants to stay popular is conspiracy theory now?

Snyder was pointing out 300's satire when it came out. And people who like his work are trying to legitimize it in some kind of crypto-Fascist plot? What are you talking about?

It's not like Snyder is trying to drum interest in the movie in 2018, because it was already successful years ago. You are suggesting a very weird conspiracy theory where Zack Snyder and his admirers are trying to reinvent it as satire fifteen years later.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

So is the point of this hilarious derail because people are worried that Snyder will turn Star Wars into some fascist propaganda?

Star Wars the movie series where the multi-cultural, multi-racial, gender equal and above all democratic government can’t hold its poo poo together for 5minutes before it falls apart from infighting?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Star Wars, except that the Empire has an actually cool aesthetic

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Star Wars, except that the Empire has an actually cool aesthetic

Star Wars with a Vaporwave soundtrack.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Lots of people got that Startship Troopers was satire, to the point that it pissed off Heinlein fans. I have seen very few people realize that 300 is supposed to be one (although many considered it a reflection of how deluded Bush era neocons wanted to see themselves, so perhaps they used it as satire), and zero upset Miller fans.

If he wanted people to get that, maybe instead of a badass voice-over he should have done an over the top enthusiastic infotainment voice about how good it is that we're killing babies :shrug:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Snyder was pointing out 300's satire when it came out.

I have not found a single quote from him that suggests this is the case.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kidkissinger posted:

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign [Gerard Butler] in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder:
He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

galagazombie posted:

If the "It was just Dillios' making poo poo up" reading was true everyone wouldn't still be supermodels in speedo's who do things in slow-mo during the last scene. Plus theres the fact that you ignore the hypocrisy of the audience/creators. The world is full of people who vehemently hate "fascism" but support many of it's tenets. Or how people often say things like "While I personally am against throwing babies off cliffs you can't deny society would be better if we did it!" and other instances of Doublethink. Just because Snyder is not a fascist (I assume) and did not make 300 as such doesn't mean elements of it don't exist in the work. Snyder by his own admission was just making a movie about awesome dudes fighting orc ninjas with a vague historical tie-in, but that does't mean unspoken ideas/biases etc. don't influence a creators work. I doubt I would call it fascist, but the movie is definitely right-leaning.

The Spartans don't do slow mo in the last scene. They're just oiled up men in their pants ready to go fight some monsters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Moreover, this whole prolonged moral panic seems to be based on the unsupported assumption that 300 is converting people to fascism, when of course the reality is that 300 just tricks already-existing fascists into announcing it and looking stupid (while ‘woke’ liberals freely identify as the gold-covered imperialist).

The characters in 300 are nude because the story is so blatantly distorted that their armour has merged with their bodies. The present-day equivalent would be if you depicted Navy Seals as nude men with chameleon skin, wearing night-vision goggles (that is to say, exactly like the fuckin’ spaceman from Predator). If you see someone using oiled-strongman 300 imagery to support the troops, that person is ‘supporting’ them in the same way that they might ‘support’ their favourite anime character.

Anyway, discerning fascists are more into Black Panther and Pacific Rim.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

300 is one of the most homo erotic movies I’ve ever seen.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

kidkissinger posted:

haha

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Real question, how is 300 homo erotic, other than ripped dudes being awesome? Or is that really all it takes?

Wouldn't that be in the eye of the beholder?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bushisms.txt posted:

Real question, how is 300 homo erotic, other than ripped dudes being awesome? Or is that really all it takes?

Xerxes gets pretty handsy and lispy with Leonidas.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Xerxes gets pretty handsy and lispy with Leonidas.

Does he? They're doing pretty common blocking for someone trying to tempt someone.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

bushisms.txt posted:

Does he? They're doing pretty common blocking for someone trying to tempt someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NV9DSykTbo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Preston Waters posted:

I love how I return to see a lot of posts in this thread and thus assume something major was announced

The main thread had around 180 new posts when I looked this morning. It now has about 220 new posts and I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://youtu.be/ixfYkAHjAgM

Touchy and lispy whispers is just the evil way.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

The main thread had around 180 new posts when I looked this morning. It now has about 220 new posts and I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

main thread? this is the only one I post in. Is the other SW thread tolerable in the slightest?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

it's almost entirely people loving with jivjov because he's really easy to rile up by not caring about the idea of 'canon', up to you if that sounds like a good time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Preston Waters posted:

main thread? this is the only one I post in.

And this is apparently the 300 thread now.

quote:

Is the other SW thread tolerable in the slightest?

No.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a possibility that Anakin Skywalker will show up as a Force ghost in Episode IX - that's been widely speculated and there have been rumours - but I expect that Darth Vader will be in it in some capacity. I reckon Kylo will go to the Sith planet and meet the ghosts of all the previous villains (Count Dooku to be portrayed by reused footage from Dracula: Prince of Darkness and deleted scenes from The Hobbit).

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a possibility that Anakin Skywalker will show up as a Force ghost in Episode IX - that's been widely speculated and there have been rumours - but I expect that Darth Vader will be in it in some capacity. I reckon Kylo will go to the Sith planet and meet the ghosts of all the previous villains (Count Dooku to be portrayed by reused footage from Dracula: Prince of Darkness and deleted scenes from The Hobbit).

lmfao this is awful

keep going

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Preston Waters posted:

lmfao this is awful

keep going

Some of my previous BRILLIANT ideas:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Very likely to happen in Episode IX:

* Rey goes to Mustafar and finds Obi-Wan's old lightsaber

* She also has Luke's green lightsber

* She will fuse them together to make a double-bladed lightsaber with one green and one blue blade

* Finn will open a hidden panel in the Falcon to discover Chewie's children; he calls the big one "Bitey"

* Kylo will visit Naboo where he will meet an elderly Jar Jar, who will lead him to Padme's tomb

* Kylo will use the Force to bring Padme back to life to prove he has surpassed his grandfather

* Padme will do most of what Leia was originally going to do in the movie

* The Galaxy Gun is in it

* Right at the end, half the characters disappear because it turns out this movie is contemporaneous with Thanos snapping his fingers

* Kylo is defeated by Rey, but disappears when his base explodes; he is last seen in a disguise as a bearded smuggler calling himself "Kylo Katarn"

* Poe flies a Sun Crusher

* The final scene is Kathleen Kennedy, George Lucas, J.J. Abrams and a CGI version of Ralph McQuarrie sitting round a table discussing how Jakku was Tatooine all along

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I bet they go to Endor solely as an excuse for scene where the Ewoks meet the Porg family that now nests in the Falcon

it's going to be eye-rolling terrible

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I am never, ever going to understand the Zack Snyder adoration on this forum.

Though I will say that I never get tired of reading arguments that the only reason someone wouldn't like Zack Snyder films is if they're too uneducated or stupid to get it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hey, here's some actual IX content:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7086398/star-wars-9-pictures-filming-john-boyega-oscar-isaac-chewbacca/

Poe, Finn and Chewie filming shots.

Finn and Poe on a mission... together... FINALLY.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

Though I will say that I never get tired of reading arguments that the only reason someone wouldn't like Zack Snyder films is if they're too uneducated or stupid to get it.

The best part is there hasn't been an actual logical reason presented by your ilk as to why it's a bad thing to like his work. And the "too stupid" comes from the self own that is not understanding things he references.

Did you Australia has never seen a cross before?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Harrow posted:

No one says this and you're talking out your rear end.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's bad enough to pointlessly have 2 star wars threads, but why is one of them mostly discussion about zack snyder

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Teek posted:

Hey, here's some actual IX content:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7086398/star-wars-9-pictures-filming-john-boyega-oscar-isaac-chewbacca/

Poe, Finn and Chewie filming shots.

Finn and Poe on a mission... together... FINALLY.

it's almost like people like you were in a focus group that made them decide to do this!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's bad enough to pointlessly have 2 star wars threads, but why is one of them mostly discussion about zack snyder

The Justice League thread is too chill now for the Snyder Wars

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
the worst thing about TLJ haters is that now everything will surely be focus group tested and safe as possible moving forward with Star Wars

instead of simply expecting that an eventual plot would some day turn off fans for being too ambitious, they're going to cow to the pressure and make everything be so safe and placating that it will be as if all of should belong in a fan film

just like loving Rogue One. Rogue One is a stupid empty fan film with a cool rear end space battle

edit: this is me trying to get everyone back on subject

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nah. Both nutrilogy films are trash, if in different ways. Meanwhile Rogue One remains by far the best of New Star Wars with Solo, despite being a smoldering wreck of a movie-that-could-have-been, placing above Episodes VII and VIII on actual visuals/production design alone.

e: I'm helping you!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Preston Waters posted:

edit: this is me trying to get everyone back on subject

Doesn't look like spoilers to me, guv. :v:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Spoiler: Star wars is going to be competent and boringly decent until it is no longer drawing crowds and then it will be put on hiatus and rebooted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

Nah. Both nutrilogy films are trash, if in different ways. Meanwhile Rogue One remains by far the best of New Star Wars with Solo, despite being a smoldering wreck of a movie-that-could-have-been, placing above Episodes VII and VIII on actual visuals/production design alone.

e: I'm helping you!

Rogue One is really boring.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

Spoiler: Star wars is going to be competent and boringly decent until it is no longer drawing crowds and then it will be put on hiatus and rebooted.

But on the other hand

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Uh, Nazi's. Like, un-ironically. They had euthanasia programs for children with disabilities.

They actually got the idea originally from American doctors and scientists. :ssh:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
lmao @ the guy who thinks toxic masculinity and fascism (done right) is bad cinemá

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can only hope for more intoxicating masculinity in movies.

Harrow posted:

The only people who make those arguments are people who don't like Zack Snyder films.

For example, there was one goon in another thread who heavily criticized Snyder for using obscure Christians symbols, because Christianity is an irrelevant religion and only a tiny minority of people will understand the allusions.

And by "obscure Christian symbols," he meant stuff like stained glass Jesus. He genuinely considered it too highbrow for general audiences.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 24, 2018