Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

General Dog posted:

The answer is that blood relation apparently isn't something you can sniff out with the Force. Vader figured out Luke's identity between ANH and ESB just by putting 2 and 2 together. Just some cursory investigation should reveal that:

a) His name is Skywalker (he's the most famous guy in the Rebellion)

This was actually show in a comic (because of course it was) and Boba Fett was involved (because of course he was)

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/06/04/darth-vader-learns-luke-is-his-son/

I have no clue what's going on with Luke's face in the next to last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boxman posted:

This was actually show in a comic (because of course it was) and Boba Fett was involved (because of course he was)

https://comicnewbies.com/2015/06/04/darth-vader-learns-luke-is-his-son/

I have no clue what's going on with Luke's face in the next to last page.

It’s from an earlier scene where Luke (briefly) takes on Vader and gets clowned. Fett was looking for the pilot who blew up the Death Star.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Here's a question- was Anakin Skywalker famous? As perhaps the most decorated hero of the Clone Wars and a personal protege of Chancellor Palpatine, he seems like someone who would, if not a household name, would at least be known of by Coruscant insiders. If he was publicly known, and anyone happened to wonder where this Darth Vader guy came from, seems like there'd at least be a few truthers out who might connect the dots.

If it counts, the (good) novelization of ROTS opens with a prologue talking about how Anakin and Obi are famous and broom kids have posters of them in their bedrooms and pretend as them on playgrounds and stuff. Someone might be able to dig up the passage

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I thought that the scene after Yoda dies where Luke sits down with Obi-Wan's force ghost was really funny too. It must seemed like Lucas turning directly to the audience and being like "no, see, this all makes sense if you squint"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ingmar terdman posted:

If it counts, the (good) novelization of ROTS opens with a prologue talking about how Anakin and Obi are famous and broom kids have posters of them in their bedrooms and pretend as them on playgrounds and stuff. Someone might be able to dig up the passage

Yeah, that's partially what inspired the post. I guess it's also fair to ask how many people had heard of Darth Vader. By the Empire Strikes back he's basically in command of the entire military, but I guess it's possible he was lower profile for most of his career, when he was basically a CIA agent.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

punishedkissinger posted:

I thought that the scene after Yoda dies where Luke sits down with Obi-Wan's force ghost was really funny too. It must seemed like Lucas turning directly to the audience and being like "no, see, this all makes sense if you squint"

I don't know if it's the intent, but I kind of like how lame Obi-Wan's explanation is and the extent to which Luke just isn't having it. It's one of those scenes that's actually strengthened a bit by the prequels.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

I don't know if it's the intent, but I kind of like how lame Obi-Wan's explanation is and the extent to which Luke just isn't having it. It's one of those scenes that's actually strengthened a bit by the prequels.

Yeah, I definitely read a lot more into Luke's expressions with the prequels in mind.

It's also really clear how hosed up and lovely Obi-Wan and Yoda are. Yoda gets so mad at luke and keeps calling him a dumb motherfucker for rushing off to save his friends. Literally all Yoda cares about is killing Vader and he's just mad that Luke cut their brainwashing sessions short and found out that Vader is his dad.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The sequel films make it clear that everything that happens diegetically has become folk knowledge. Rey seems to have watched the films.

Ignoring the sequels, Owen apparently has no trouble hiding from Luke the fact that there was someone named Anakin Skywalker who fought in the clone wars, in fact Luke seems to only tenuously understand what the Jedi Knights were. Hard to say what the general understanding of an educated populace was versus what a backwater farmer would know though. And of course the Empire no doubt repressed all kinds of information about the war.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The idea that Rey has heard of Han Solo and the Falcon, but identifies him first as a smuggler and not as a war hero will never not be hilarious. It would be like if you brought up Tim Allen to a Zoomer and they were like "Tim Allen? The drug dealer?"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The actual reason Luke doesn't know what the Jedi are is that they where like the knights of the round table for the lost camelot of the old republic. Everything about them invokes the idea of the knight errants, or actual more the ronin samurai, since Kurosawa was such a big influence on Lucas. The old republic was and old republic because Lucas was putting in an anti-fascist message for the US.

This all had to change with the prequels because then the questions became "what the gently caress were the clone wars? If Kenobi was a general, I guess the Jedi were formally part of the military? How did the republic function?". I don't even think Lucas did that bad a job, given the facts dropped in the OT. But it does change the sort of mythic quality he was invoking in the OT when you find out the Jedi are a kind of Scientology Marine Core working as the enforcement arm of the government. Suddenly the idea that people haven't heard of them is absurd, given the profile they have in the Republic.

Hell, it's not even clear in the OT that Yoda was a Jedi Knight himself, versus a wise old sage who imparted Jedi knowledge. Just like with the light sabres, a whole ton of merely implied things become codified as true in the fandom and extended canon, and it retroactively changes how you interpret the original story.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

General Dog posted:

The answer is that blood relation apparently isn't something you can sniff out with the Force. Vader figured out Luke's identity between ANH and ESB just by putting 2 and 2 together. Just some cursory investigation should reveal that:

a) His name is Skywalker (he's the most famous guy in the Rebellion)
b) He was the guy Vader saw hanging out with Obi-Wan Kenobi on the Death Star
c) When they arrived on the Falcon, they were coming from Tatooine

Kylo was able to suss out quite a bit about Rey just from the one interrogation he did on her (although I expect the counterargument to be that she had been "awakened" by contact with Anakin's lightsaber) , so Vader somehow not realizing that Leia looks kind of like his dead wife or sniffing out that there might be some connection between them just doesn't hold up.

The 11th-hour change to make Luke and Leia siblings has always been pretty weak, tbh, and it didn't exactly make for great storytelling fodder in the sequels anyway.

Meanwhile Boyega is out here living out the unused rebellion leader plotline from the sequels.

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1268209841899663360

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boyega is basically just his character from Attack the Block grown up and that loving rules

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

“So…” Obi-Wan summoned a condemnation among the most offensive in his vocabulary. “...uncivilized.”

quote:

“Hey, he’s got your lightsaber, too!”

“That’s different—”

“This weapon is your life, Obi-Wan!” He did a credible-enough Kenobi impression that Palpatine had to smother a snort. “You must take care of it!”

God the RotS novel is so good

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Kylo was able to suss out quite a bit about Rey just from the one interrogation he did on her (although I expect the counterargument to be that she had been "awakened" by contact with Anakin's lightsaber) , so Vader somehow not realizing that Leia looks kind of like his dead wife or sniffing out that there might be some connection between them just doesn't hold up.

The 11th-hour change to make Luke and Leia siblings has always been pretty weak, tbh, and it didn't exactly make for great storytelling fodder in the sequels anyway.

Meanwhile Boyega is out here living out the unused rebellion leader plotline from the sequels.

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1268209841899663360

It's pretty easy to not worry about your career when you've already made Star Wars money.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'll always go to bat for matthew stover in general, the fact he got any work at all in the EU hack zone is still pretty crazy 15 years on. The extended sequence of palpatine play acting the assassination for the audio transcript when the jedi come to arrest him was my fav part

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Yeah, I definitely read a lot more into Luke's expressions with the prequels in mind.

It's also really clear how hosed up and lovely Obi-Wan and Yoda are. Yoda gets so mad at luke and keeps calling him a dumb motherfucker for rushing off to save his friends. Literally all Yoda cares about is killing Vader and he's just mad that Luke cut their brainwashing sessions short and found out that Vader is his dad.

It's pretty clear that Yoda and Obi-Wan HAVE done so growth since the Prequel trilogies, where Yoda was so hide-bound as to refuse to let Qui-Gon train Anakin, but they're still in other ways stuck in the past. Luke's advantage is coming into Jedi training at an age where he can reject the failed teachings of the old Order and still use the good parts, although he comes dangerously close to falling in his final duel with Vader.

And of course the sequels then screwed it all up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It's pretty clear that Yoda and Obi-Wan HAVE done so growth since the Prequel trilogies, where Yoda was so hide-bound as to refuse to let Qui-Gon train Anakin, but they're still in other ways stuck in the past. Luke's advantage is coming into Jedi training at an age where he can reject the failed teachings of the old Order and still use the good parts, although he comes dangerously close to falling in his final duel with Vader.

And of course the sequels then screwed it all up.

Yoda's last words are him begging luke to start a jedi academy, but then in RotS he doesn't seem to give a poo poo? Maybe he did some growing after his death.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterCat posted:

It's pretty easy to not worry about your career when you've already made Star Wars money.

You’d think so, but then look at every recent Disney movie.

Boyega’s doing good poo poo.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The new kids were all signed for three pictures as (relative) unknowns I don't think they made a ton. And yeah I get were talking millions here but it's a world apart from what the main three probably got to come back for empire, or harrison for jedi (or harrison for the force awakens (or harrison for rise of skywalker))

Boyega does cooler poo poo in real life than Finn in space though. Harrison has just lived in a 60 year weed cloud and crashes planes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Little Death posted:

Hell, it's not even clear in the OT that Yoda was a Jedi Knight himself, versus a wise old sage who imparted Jedi knowledge.

"There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me."

That scene always makes me laugh because ... why the hell would a ghost need to sit?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Timby posted:

That scene always makes me laugh because ... why the hell would a ghost need to sit?

Filming that must have been like Krusty in the recording booth. There’s no other way it could have gone down.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Timby posted:

Guiness on the log pouty that Luke wont kill Vader and Harrison's "youre gonna die here - convenient" are great moments sprung from the boredom/disdain and I was hoping there would be some moments like that in ROS. Mark wearing that lovely wig and hiding his robot arm (or restored human arm? who knows and who knows why) is completely over it but it's more sad than funny

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is Harrison Ford like a huge rear end in a top hat or something? He just seems so uninterested in being in a major motion picture throughout the entire series, but especially in Jedi.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Harrison Ford like a huge rear end in a top hat or something? He just seems so uninterested in being in a major motion picture throughout the entire series, but especially in Jedi.

Harrison Ford like chilling and having sex and smoking weed and flying airplanes, and stumbled upon acting as a stable income source to fund those pursuits. It's the American dream.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I guess that's pretty relateable

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I think he does a good job in ANH and TESB. He clearly doesn't want to be there for ROTJ, but he's also got very little to work with.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The guy got famous in his thirties, by which point he probably realized that acting was a way for him to fund his flying habit and roustabout lifestyle and wasn't too concerned with like...being great at it or buying into celebrity culture. It's treated him pretty well so far, so probably the right choice.

No slander, though. FWIW I think he's drat good in Witness and a few other things and Ford is one of the few actors I'd spazz out over if I ever saw them in public.

Unrelated - pretty good article on Boyega, race, etc in Star Wars.

https://twitter.com/812filmreviews/status/1268240549535977479

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Good on Boyega as an individual for doing what he feels he need to do, but it’s that critical to us that corporations performatively affirm the value of all human life, we’re already hosed.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I believe Ford has described himself as a working class character actor who fell rear end backwards into being one of the most famous faces in the world, and on top of that it’s pretty clear he only really enjoys acting as opposed to doing it for the check when he gets to play some kind of out-there dipshit that he can really go all in on, rather than the really boring grumpy badasses everyone for the last 30 years has been dead set on casting him as.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Watching the prequels again now. It's pretty rude how Obi Wan and Qui Gon refer to Mail as "it" after they encounter him for the first time. Pretty racist imo.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of many little prequel details that may mean nothing: one of the guys on the Jedi Council is the same species as Darth Maul

Another one: Qui-Gon mentions that Malastare does podracing. Podracing is an insanely cruel blood sport run by gangsters! Later, at the Senate meeting, one of the Senators who takes the side of the Trade Federation, and has a posh accent, is from Malastare

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Timby posted:

Right but that didn't necessarily mean that Yoda flipped around with a laser sword or led Wookie armies during the clone wars. He seemed more like a Guru character, a wise old spiritual master who feigns madness to test initiates to the path. If he was a warrior, that was long past, decades or even centuries.

Instead we find out that no, he was a respected military leader and backflipping laser gremlin roughly 20 years ago, and he decided to go live in a cave and eat tubers while pretending to be crazy I guess for no reason other than to hide until the protagonist comes along. As the prequels have it, Luke is the only person Yoda had ever trained in this way, so he was just making poo poo up I guess. And I guess he set up the magic tree with his force powers cause Dagobah was just a mud ball where it was convenient for him to hide

All this to say just that the prequels canonized a certain understanding of the vague shapes the OT implied, and this has an effect on viewing the OT again now. Asking why Vader didn't know Leia was his daughter is dumb because a) we all know that plot wasn't though up till RoTJ, but also b) because that was decided before the origin story made the canonical universe more connected and less medieval and fractured than what seemed to be implied in the OT. The Jedi weren't Knights anymore in the Phantom Menace, more a mix of CIA Agent and Seal Team Six.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 4, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

2house2fly posted:

One of many little prequel details that may mean nothing: one of the guys on the Jedi Council is the same species as Darth Maul

Another one: Qui-Gon mentions that Malastare does podracing. Podracing is an insanely cruel blood sport run by gangsters! Later, at the Senate meeting, one of the Senators who takes the side of the Trade Federation, and has a posh accent, is from Malastare

The race is the Boonta Eve classic and the planet Boonta is in the old Droids cartoon.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ford doesn’t give a poo poo about most of his roles and is very very stoned most of the day. He also has massive stage fright which is why he rarely does press, and if he does, acts weird or does a comedy sketch.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Little Death posted:

Right but that didn't necessarily mean that Yoda flipped around with a laser sword or led Wookie armies during the clone wars. He seemed more like a Guru character, a wise old spiritual master who feigns madness to test initiates to the path. If he was a warrior, that was long past, decades or even centuries.

Instead we find out that no, he was a respected military leader and backflipping laser gremlin roughly 20 years ago, and he decided to go live in a cave and eat tubers while pretending to be crazy I guess for no reason other than to hide until the protagonist comes along. As the prequels have it, Luke is the only person Yoda had ever trained in this way, so he was just making poo poo up I guess. And I guess he set up the magic tree with his force powers cause Dagobah was just a mud ball where it was convenient for him to hide

All this to say just that the prequels canonized a certain understanding of the vague shapes the OT implied, and this has an effect on viewing the OT again now. Asking why Vader didn't know Leia was his daughter is dumb because a) we all know that plot wasn't though up till RoTJ, but also b) because that was decided before the origin story made the canonical universe more connected and less medieval and fractured than what seemed to be implied in the OT. The Jedi weren't Knights anymore in the Phantom Menace, more a mix of CIA Agent and Seal Team Six.

i mean it seems pretty evident in the prequels yoda's fighting days are behind him, like he's giving it a last go but he's too old for this poo poo. also you guys are dumb as gently caress yoda didn't want luke to go to cloud city cause he knew luke was going to charge in to fight vader and get himself hosed up, it's why his last big lesson is to have luke confront vader without his lightsaber and when the dumbass does attack (cause he's angry and poo poo) darth vader turns out to be him all along

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

well why not posted:

Ford doesn’t give a poo poo about most of his roles and is very very stoned most of the day. He also has massive stage fright which is why he rarely does press, and if he does, acts weird or does a comedy sketch.

Or you get this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also, why would Amidala signing a piece of paper make an invasion legal? What is going on with the Galactic Republic here?

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Mat Cauthon posted:

The guy got famous in his thirties, by which point he probably realized that acting was a way for him to fund his flying habit and roustabout lifestyle and wasn't too concerned with like...being great at it or buying into celebrity culture. It's treated him pretty well so far, so probably the right choice.

No slander, though. FWIW I think he's drat good in Witness and a few other things and Ford is one of the few actors I'd spazz out over if I ever saw them in public.

Unrelated - pretty good article on Boyega, race, etc in Star Wars.

https://twitter.com/812filmreviews/status/1268240549535977479

The thing that pisses me off the most about the sequel trilogy is how brightly Boyega shined in TFA only to be sidelined into an almost joke of a character for the TLJ and RoS. Such wasted potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"First Order trooper revolt" would've been an amazing C-plot and give Phasma and Hux something to do while Rey roflstomps Kylo into the ground and Luke feeds Snoke his own lightning