Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Be grateful for this period of star peace. Make use of this time to steel your spirit for the posting wars to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

so are they making another star wars movie or what

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The masses are currently filling up on their marvel slop. Our Star Wars slop is being made and will be served shortly

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Only one movie on the whole thing lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

JJ Abrams killed star wars movies, powerful man

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give me a full-on pulp-styled Lando series with Donald Glover that just goes full-hog with exaggerated storytelling because imagine Lando not embellishing his story at every chance he gets

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

No Mods No Masters posted:

Be grateful for this period of star peace. Make use of this time to steel your spirit for the posting wars to come

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Give me a full-on pulp-styled Lando series with Donald Glover that just goes full-hog with exaggerated storytelling because imagine Lando not embellishing his story at every chance he gets

I mean, yeah. But when's the last time Disney did something that interesting? At least we'll always have Blackstar Warrior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-x09GO_Uc

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vinylshadow posted:

It's so obvious and I hate that they'll never do it, just make it exactly like Young Indiana Jones Chronicles where Billy Dee Williams is in each episode for like 30 seconds talking about his exploits and then flash back to Glover getting into adventures for 40 minutes.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Ingmar terdman posted:

That's kind of good though as it's the only half decent idea there and they won't have to stretch a few good plot lines into 12 hours of endless trash.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Disney realized they have no idea how to make a good star war movie but they can make a good star war show

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

nah posted:

Disney realized they have no idea how to make a good star war movie but they can make a good star war show

They can make a season of a good star war show.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Makes sense, a lot of these are planned for one season

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

They can make a season of a good star war show.

They can make several good episodes over the course of two seasons of a star war show

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They can make a Star War show

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Good or at least okay "on-screen" Star Wars made under Disney:
Rogue One.
Two of the three arcs of the revival Clone Wars Season.
Between half to two thirds of Rebels.
Both seasons of the Mandalorian.

Bad "on-screen" Star Wars made under Disney:
The Sequel Trilogy.
Solo.
That arc of the revival Clone Wars season where Ahsoka hangs out with the "How do you do fellow kids?" hip young smuggler sisters.
Resistance.
That episode of The Mandalorian where he teams up with the newbie gunslinger on Tatooine.
A third to a half of Rebels.

Haven't watched Bad Batch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Resistance was fine, they just never let the main character be a main character by keeping him out of his element 95% of the time, so you're really better off following literally any other character

Even Buggles, whose entire character is "dog"

The back halves of both seasons are great though

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There are no bad episodes of Rebels. Even the whales. There’s a reason just about every character on that show is beloved by the fan base.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Good or at least okay "on-screen" Star Wars made under Disney:
Rogue One.
Two of the three arcs of the revival Clone Wars Season.
Between half to two thirds of Rebels.
Both seasons of the Mandalorian.

Bad "on-screen" Star Wars made under Disney:
The Sequel Trilogy.
Solo.
That arc of the revival Clone Wars season where Ahsoka hangs out with the "How do you do fellow kids?" hip young smuggler sisters.
Resistance.
That episode of The Mandalorian where he teams up with the newbie gunslinger on Tatooine.
A third to a half of Rebels.

Bad Batch is very good, watch it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Solo is a special case because there's probably a good film there in the editing room.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

galagazombie posted:

They figured out exactly what the grimy misfit special ops team needs: a kid Jedi mascot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bad Batch for me is a bit too similar to Rebels, in that it's this ragtag group who are always on the run and each episode is like a forced detour where they have take on a mission to get some fuel or to buy some information to get them to the next destination or whatever. Just a very very similar formula to Rebels, but it's still good because the characters are (mostly)good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I think Solo is a special case because there's probably a good film there in the editing room.

I’ve always felt this way too and still enjoyed the movie for the most part.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought Rebels was very bad. It felt like a kids show rather than an all-ages show. That probably means that it just wasn't made for me, and that's fine, but it irks me when it's talked about in the same breath as TCW because to me the writing felt vastly inferior.

e: and Solo did not have a good film in it. The entire foundational concept of the script was wrong. You should not try to turn the opening of The Last Crusade into a full movie. It was written like a Wookieepedia page checklist, not a self-contained narrative. Han's arc is also the exact same as in ANH.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 22, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I thought that the costume designs in Rebels were mostly very bad. I liked the Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper Mandalorian.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Solo is a waste of a really good cast in my opinion but I at least found it watchable if nothing else.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Solo was good until they remembered it was supposed to be a Star Wars movie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean the basic problem for Solo with me is it's hard to look at. It's so dark and dingy and grimy for no good reason. Every other Star Wars has some visual spectacle to it, or at least some pretty shots. Like say what you will about Abrams, he generally knows where to point the camera. I'm not sure at what point the decision to make the film so grungy was made, but it's a problem made worse by the reshoots on half-sets so they have to keep the camera super tight so you don't notice the backgrounds.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Han Solo is a streetwise rebel. So when challenged with coming up with a homeworld for him, we decided to populate the planet with billions of other streetwise rebels. It's an entire planet of Han Solos! What's not to love?"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The plush interior of the Lando falcon is the only thing I remember from Solo probably because it was the only thing visible in the film

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
what's so hard to see in Solo? I didn't have trouble making anything out.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean the basic problem for Solo with me is it's hard to look at. It's so dark and dingy and grimy for no good reason. Every other Star Wars has some visual spectacle to it, or at least some pretty shots. Like say what you will about Abrams, he generally knows where to point the camera. I'm not sure at what point the decision to make the film so grungy was made, but it's a problem made worse by the reshoots on half-sets so they have to keep the camera super tight so you don't notice the backgrounds.

Cinematographer Bradford Young talks about it in some of the behind the scenes stuff. The intention was to make the movie feel like there were no studio lights used and everything was source-lit, so the characters intentionally dip into shadow a lot - though they wanted to preserve a lot of detail within the shadow. This works when you're sitting in a dark theater with a giant screen where there are no other sources of light, but absolutely fails when watching a compressed stream or blu ray of the movie that crushes all the low end tones into a gray mush.

Movies are often re-graded for home viewing to compensate for ambient light, but Solo probably would have required a lot more work, and it might have broken the look of the movie entirely.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean I saw it in theaters and it still looked muddy and bad. By "hard to look at" I don't mean it's a problem of legibility, it's just not pleasant at all, not even in a beautifully grungy way. Alien looks good, this does not.

It's not a Battle of Winterfell thing, it's just, I like the cool laser fights and spaceships going woosh and this is a bad way to present that.

Solo also just feels like it should have been a fun light heist movie (especially on the heels of Rogue One and Last Jedi both being pretty dark in their own ways) but instead has a big body count and is all about how Han became so cynical but it doesn't even really convey that well.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Solo looked horrible in theaters as well (source: being dumb enough to see it), though the de rigueur argument at the time was to blame projectionists for not configuring the projector correctly for the movie. As for the extremely scuffed arcs, well hey they were absolutely certain they were going to do two more han solo movies

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The episode of Mandalorian where they introduce Boba Fett was hilariously bungled, where the Mandalorian makes a series of increasingly dumb decisions. I remember joking to my friends the third time he came up to the Baby Yoda shield "imagine if he just walked at it again" and he does. Then Boba Fett just drives the car. I also got really mad about Baby Yoda eating all those frog babies. This is my Mandalorian review.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

"Han Solo is a streetwise rebel. So when challenged with coming up with a homeworld for him, we decided to populate the planet with billions of other streetwise rebels. It's an entire planet of Han Solos! What's not to love?"

Disney really did just wipe out the EU only to take all the worst aspects of it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The sheer irony of the Sequel Trilogy taking so many cues from the Dark Empire Trilogy and making the Dark Empire Trilogy look good in comparison never ceases to get a laugh from me

"It was not the first time I died, nor will it be the last. Such are the mysteries of the Dark Side of the Force."
vs
"I've died before. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

"Surely you know that if you strike me down in anger, I will live again. Perhaps I will even live as you!"
vs
"Your hatred, your anger. You want to kill me. That is what I want. Kill me... and my spirit will pass into you."

"The Dark Side has already won, young Skywalker. Why delude yourself; you know you belong to me. Father, son, are not two, they are one!"
vs
"The lifeforce of your bond... a dyad in the Force. A power like life itself. Unseen for generations. And now... the power of two restores the one, true Emperor."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oooh boy, that last quote makes me wonder if people at Disney expect audiences to give a poo poo about who the last Force dyad consisted of.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Vinylshadow posted:

The sheer irony of the Sequel Trilogy taking so many cues from the Dark Empire Trilogy and making the Dark Empire Trilogy look good in comparison never ceases to get a laugh from me

"It was not the first time I died, nor will it be the last. Such are the mysteries of the Dark Side of the Force."
vs
"I've died before. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural."

"Surely you know that if you strike me down in anger, I will live again. Perhaps I will even live as you!"
vs
"Your hatred, your anger. You want to kill me. That is what I want. Kill me... and my spirit will pass into you."

"The Dark Side has already won, young Skywalker. Why delude yourself; you know you belong to me. Father, son, are not two, they are one!"
vs
"The lifeforce of your bond... a dyad in the Force. A power like life itself. Unseen for generations. And now... the power of two restores the one, true Emperor."

there's so many layers to it. putting aside the thought that DE was never particularly well remembered, do we all remember the sheer number of articles that came out telling people it was good the old EU was gone because there was no way the ST would do anything dumb like clone palpatine etc? and then they DID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What the hell was a force dyad anyway and why was it so important?