Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I wished the trilogy showed Rey slowly embracing the anger inside her over not knowing who or where her parents are, while Kylo slowly embraces the good in him as he starts to feel more and more isolated. It could have ended with Kylo accepting a return to the light side while Rey realizes, after a series of dark-side-like acts, that she needs to escape and hide away from everyone. Kylo would them search for her, and find her - and offer his hand much like Rey offer Luke the lightsaber at the end of TFA.

Plasma should have been a persistent antagonist that is hell bent on killing deserters, hunting them down Terminator style. It could have been a final fight between Phasma and Finn as he proves he’s not a number, but has a name.

TFA should have started with Poe and the New Republic fighting the First Order, and then when Starkiller blows up the planets, becomes the Resistance in TLJ, with limited resources.

The fault I see is that there isn’t any real time change between the movies. It feels like this all happened within a year, and maybe it did? It just felt all rushed for the sake of “hey look at all this stuff happening! We are never loving stopping!”

All in all, I give TROS a C+. Adam Driver is becoming one of my favorite actors, and the scenes with him and Rey were all good. I didn’t like the space battle, didn’t like how everything was rushed around, and it all felt like it was a haphazard editing job because of time constraints.

Exagol as a location/planet shouldn’t have existed. Palpatine should have been still operating and pulling the strings from the wreckage of the Death Star. Didn’t need the hundreds of Death Star Destroyers at all, just have Sheev using the Dark Side to bring the giant super laser out of the Death Star and calling it the loving Dark Saber.

I’m glad Mandalorian exists, Fallen Order, and Rebels show. There’s great Star Wars media, and side stories that can carry the legacy and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Give me a loving Rogue Squadron movie. Just give me more side stories. I don’t care about Jedi and Sith, I want to see how a dude builds a Y-Wing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Rogue One is probably one of the best Star Wars films because it contains familiar tropes to Star Wars, but does so in a way that allows you experience as a stand-alone film without wanting more. Cassian offing one of his buddy informants to prevent capture tells more story in 3 minutes than most Star Wars movies take to do in an hour. We see K2-SO go from distrusting Jyn to accepting her. Base and Chirrut have amazing chemistry that makes it feel like it’s been a thing between them for a lifetime. Jyn sees what the Empire does to her family and eventually loses her life to make sure they pay for it dearly. Bodhi is an endearing low-level defector that his death made us feel the hopelessness of the situation.

Because this wasn’t about the Jedi or Skywalkers or anything political, seeing common ground troops and pilots made it feel more gritty and real. Watching a U-Wing crash and burn into a squad of stormtroopers was amazing.

That’s what Star Wars can do to keep it relevant and good. The Mandalorian is also amazing in its short but dense stories, characters with actual development, and serious stakes keeps me wanting more.

A Rogue Squadron series would be great because there are battles that can be shown that have major affects on the universe. Maybe scenes with them working on updating their X-Wing designs or dealing with the small growing First Order.

Star Wars started with a farm boy who just wanted to escape his boring life and it blossomed into an adventure. That’s what people love. Luke still stayed grounded in his abilities, and he wasn’t some Super Saiyajin character in the OT. It was within a realm of believability.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Knights of Ren should have been Kylo's personal task force that went around hunting down any surviving members of Luke's Jedi school. Three movies of them helping Kylo trying to find and kill Rey, who we find out was a child in Luke's school, but had her mind erased and dumped on Jakku to hopefully keep her alive. Her parents are then found and killed by the Knights of Ren, and Luke feels it in the Force. He then starts to reach out to Rey and guide her with visions for training and help Finn get off of Jakku (and herself) so that she can go to Luke and train.

Snoke should have bragged as being an adviser to Palpatine that learned the Dark Side on his own, to hopefully kill Palpatine himself, but instead the Dark Side corrupted his body to the way it is now. He still gets chumped out by Kylo.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Kylo busted a nut so hard after kissing Rey it blew his goddamn heart out.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

Merch CAN be lucrative, but it has to actually move off the shelves. i do not have the slightest idea if that has been true of the sequel stuff.

I was at Target a few days ago and back when TFA was out, it was a full aisle of Star Wars stuff. When I went, it was barely half of one side of an aisle, if that. A lot of it was just combo packs of the droids, and no new toys. A lot of toys were still on the shelves.

I think the problem with TROS for a toy line is that there’s nothing really marketable that has t already been done. No real new characters, no new ships, and no cool locales to turn into play sets.

I play X-Wing: Miniatures Game and I know that there will most likely be the TIE Dagger but I don’t know what else will come into play. All the other ships have already been out before.

I get that toys can be seen as just a way to capture more money, but for younger fans, it helps fuel an imagination and adventure with their friends.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

TROS should have started with Leia being dead but her ghost is guiding Rey and pleading to Kylo to come back as Ben. All the Carrie Fisher scenes were awkward, except for the flashback to when she trained with Luke. I know it was CGI but the context and delivery matters.

R2-D2 in a T-70 X-Wing with Poe should have had them fly down a trench of a ship and blow it up. R2 could have warbled something and Poe could reply, “this feels familiar? How?”

Also not glad they killed off Snap Wexley. Poe could have been promoted and have him be a squadron leader.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

They kill off Snap Wexley and Nien Numb? All these lovely deaths, even Admiral Ackbar of all people in TLJ.

Next thing you’re going to tell me Lobot died as a Y-Wing gunner who was stuck upside down in the seat.

I bet JJ asked if they could somehow get Jabba’s sail barge in there before someone reminded him it blew up in RotJ.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Phasma should have made it all the way to the end in RoS - with her and Finn finally having a meaningful fight where she’s massacring the turned stormtroopers on the Star Destroyer hull. Then Finn throws her off the edge whilst her helmet flies off.

Phasma in the comics is this brutal leader, not against killing her own to keep her mistakes out of view, but in the movies it’s just her getting clowned on from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

I think it makes sense that Kylo flips out on Luke. I’m assuming at the point when Luke was considering fileting his nephew, Han and Leia maybe split. Kylo has no other parental figure, and his last option was about to slice him in half.

Kylo just needed a strong father figure.