Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

I'm Peter Graves, and I was wondering if you could direct me to the natatorium, as I'm attending a Scuderia Ferrari team-building exercise. Thank you. I'm Peter Graves.

When I was younger, the forest battle and the Death Star attack were the main attraction and the stuff with Luke and the Emperor was just "the talkie bit". Took me a long time to realise that "the talkie bit" is the crux of the entire film, if not the trilogy, and everything else is just fluff.

(Good fluff, mind. I'm still awed by just how loving hard everyone at ILM must have worked to pull it all off with early-80s technology.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

I'm Peter Graves, and I was wondering if you could direct me to the natatorium, as I'm attending a Scuderia Ferrari team-building exercise. Thank you. I'm Peter Graves.

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you've paid for a ticket to a movie, you shouldn't be expected to have to go off and pay for a novel or a comic or something to explain something you saw in the movie.

(This wouldn't be an issue if this was going to get a sequel but lol )
I remember when The Matrix Reloaded came out and there was a bunch of either unexplained or skipped-over stuff in the movie that you were expected to have watched some cartoons or played the lovely game to understand.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

SimonCat posted:

I watched the first one because I liked the earlier movies, I watched the 2nd one because I wanted to see where the story was going, but I skipped the 3rd one and I've got the same feeling about Episode IX. Nothing in TLJ is enticing me to see where the story goes next.
I haven't even seen TLJ yet, but I now know enough about it also to know that I don't really care whether I eventually do or not. I think a big issue is that, for better or worse, the pre-Disney movies were all the vision of one man, who was trying to tell the one big story he had in his head for decades. The sequels and spinoffs are written by a bunch of randos working to the requirements of a corporate group, and storytelling by committee is always going to be lacking. One guy writes one episode, another writes something completely different the next: it's not a saga, just a bunch of stuff happening.

poo poo, I hate the whole "mystery box" conceit JJ Abrams loves so much - it's a cheap and lazy gimmick that expresses a fair amount of contempt for the audience - and thought it was hilarious that the guy hired to make the follow-up went out of his way to dynamite all Abrams' precious mystery boxes, but that still doesn't make me want to rush out and buy TLJ.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Making Anakin older in TPM (to make more of the Anakin/Padme relationship early on, and at least make it vaguely believable that he could build a droid and a world class jet-powered racing car from scrap) and showing him using the Force in some raw way - like pulling his engine back in with it rather than with a magnetic selfie stick, or by actually getting angry as kids do and loving up Sebulba to win - would have made a hell of a difference. That way, he has a dark side to overcome (or succumb to) right from the start. It also would make Qui-Gon's decision to train him more hubristic, and Obi-Wan's failure both to fulfil his promise to his mentor and to save his friend more painful.

But no, he's the perfect angel child who gets corrupted by a couple of speeches from Space Hitler.

And yeah, having Dooku there from the start as an ally who turns evil would also have helped. (More Christopher Lee can never be bad.)

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Rey was implied to have some kind of Backstory. Like, half her scenes in The Force Awakens were using pretty basic cinematic language to say "Hey, pay attention. This is going to be Important".
That it wasn't is kinda the fault of Abrams and the story group for building a mystery box and not bothering to put anything inside it.

Same with Snoke. "This guy's gonna be important!" "Why?" "Uh, I dunno. You think of a reason."

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Endlessly seeing the word 'Snoke' is like that scene from Being John Malkovich where Malkovich goes up his own portal. Snoke. Snoke snoke snoke. Snoke snoke. Snoke snoke snoke snoke. SNOOOOOOOOKE!

Seeing as he named the Kelvin in Star Trek after a relative, has it turned out that JJ Abrams' uncle's dog was called Snoke yet?

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just want to take a step back: Star Wars toys had nothing to do with Toys R Us going out of business. They did a terrible leveraged buy out deal that made it basically impossible for them to get out of debt.
'Terrible' from the point of view of Toys R Us, its employees and its creditors; 'perfect' from the POV of the vulture investors who set it up. It was unfettered capitalism working exactly as intended - someone else was left holding the bag while they made off with all the money, and it was entirely legal.

In an ideal world such vultures would be strung up from lamp posts like Mussolini, but welp.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

I keep trying to explain this to my older brother, but he insists that TRU died solely because of their high prices. Their financial situation is probably why they marked everything up, making the prices both a cause and effect.
As I understand it, a simplified version of what happened to Toys R Us is:

• Vulture investors take on large debt in order to buy controlling interest in TRU
• The terms of the deal require TRU to pay back the investors, plus fees, plus gently caress-you money. The only way to do this is for TRU to take on more debt of its own
• TRU is hollowed out because all the money coming in is needed to service its debts rather than investing in its own future
• TRU can't afford to discount product, making it lose market ground to competitors
• The debt becomes unserviceable, and TRU declares bankruptcy
• Vultures have already departed with all the money, and there's probably a clause that forces TRU to pay a percentage of anything it makes from liquidation to them too as a final gently caress you
• Thousands of TRU employees lose their jobs, creditors are screwed out of money owed to them - but hey, the investors have made millions for doing nothing but running a going concern into the ground. Yay capitalism!

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

A screenwriter I know (he's optioned some of my books) who's worked on projects for Disney yesterday ended an otherwise completely business-related email with the cryptic tease "By the way, BIG changes coming at Lucasfilm ; )" My reply was "either you're the new head of the story group or George is coming back."

And yeah, I know this sounds like "my uncle works at Nintendo"-level stuff, but whatevs. Just thought it was interesting.

Payndz fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 24, 2018

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

I didn't even remember that Cassian had a moustache. Then I realised I was mixing him up with the skinny guy who fixed the shuttle's radio or whatever.

Basically, my memories of R1 are Mads Mikkelson, CGI Peter Cushing and the Death Star looking like a giant eye in the sky just before it fired. And Forrest Whitaker had robot legs, I think? drat, it really did not stick in my mind.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Most of the stormtroopers in the hangar scene were part of a matte painting. There's about 50 officers (because they're harder to paint realistically than faceless guys in armour), and maybe ten real troopers on the front row where Sheev and his guards walk past them. Everyone else is painted.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

"Snoke? Snoke?! Snooooke!"
That is actually the only possible reason Abrams could have given his Big Bad such a stupid name.

[Touches bandana] "Infinite POWAAAAH."

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Noone's ever really gone.

That last frame. Darth Vader murdered Pam Poovey!

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

If they literally called it "the MacGuffin" within the movie itself, that would be the only redeemable part of the idea.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

It's pretty amusing how both the ST and the PT have a decision you can point at and say "if they hadn't done that, the story probably would've been significantly better."

In the ST it's easily the decision to ignore ROTJ and go straight to Rebelsresistance against EmpireFirst Order.
For the PT it's probably making Anakin a 9 year old.
Lucas making Anakin a young child (as opposed to a teenager) is a decision that still totally mystifies me. A teen Anakin would have 1: had a much wider pool of available actors, so he could have found someone better than Jake Lloyd, and 2: made it at least halfway plausible that he could have built a sentient humanoid robot and a loving jet-powered flying racing car that can beat everything else on the track. Hell, it would have given Lucas a chance to relive his beloved American Graffiti hot rod culture, but in spaaaaace! Then you've got the potential for age-appropriate 'lady and the tramp' flirting between Padme and Anakin, you can establish that Anakin has the potential for going to the Dark Side within him because he's a goddamn teenager... (To me, Anakin not using the Force rather than a stick with a magnet on to pull his engine back into place - and then using it to take revenge on Sebulba - was a huge missed opportunity. Qui-Gon would actually then have something concrete on which to base his feeling that Anakin could become a powerful Jedi if he could be properly trained and his anger controlled, rather than just "Hmm, I sense a high midichlorian count.")

But nope, young child Anakin is perfect in every way and is played by a kid with very limited range, with a director famously bad at offering guidance to actors. I honestly think that if Anakin had been portrayed more strongly, audiences would have been far more willing to forgive Jar Jar.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Apparently some book you're supposed to read fills in some poo poo the movie never explains.
Ah, the multimedia experience. "If you want the full story of what happened between The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded and find out who are all these awesome new characters who we really want you to care about, you have to watch a bunch of cartoons, play a videogame and read some books and comics!"

99% of the audience: "Who are all these new characters being presented as if we should already know who they are and why should we care about them?"

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

If they blow up the Falcon like the Enterprise or the Defiant (they never will), I suspect there'd be a bunch of people more upset than when Han or Luke died.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Top Gun/Dukes of Hazzard crossover confirmed

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Wow. A desert. Truly, the most original and imaginative locations for this series about wars in the stars.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Palps: "Kylo Ren, you have successfully completed my... first order."
Handful of audience members: "Ooooooooh! That was so clever! What a payoff!"
[JJ high-fives himself]

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

But I was there. It basically turned into powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUjrqFVBgc8
The shot where the reactor blows and the Falcon whips into the tunnel just as the fireball erupts is one of my favourites from the entire series. It's so kinetic and thrilling, and absolutely perfectly timed.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

quote:

I wouldn't want to be the poor bastard plumber who has to walk all the way around to the starboard bow after fixing a toilet at the port bow.

Also picturing Dave Lister on the hull somewhere with a bucket of red paint and a long-rear end day ahead of him.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

But is it the forest moon of Endor, or the forest moon of Endor?

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Oh my god, they killed Phasma!

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I have to know whose favorite Star Wars character is loving Maz. Also how many internal memos they've got going around to try and make BB-8 more known than R2-D2.
Say what you will about Lucas, but he had a knack for memorable names. They may be corny and on the nose, but Luke Skywalker and Han Solo work. They tell you instantly a bit about the characters before they even do anything. Then you've got Darth Vader, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, R2-D2, C-3PO, Lando Calrissian, Jabba the Hutt... you can guess if they're good guys or bad guys. From the prequels, you have Jar Jar Binks, Queen Amidala and Senator Palpatine. You remember the names even if the movies don't stick so much in the mind. Even objects: Millennium Falcon, X-wing, lightsaber, Death Star, TIE Fighter, Star Destroyer, landspeeder, Imperial Walker all have a ring to them. The name "Ewok" never appears in the film, and everybody still knows it.

What do you get in the sequels? The heroes have bland, one-syllable names that suggest nothing. Rey. Finn. Poe. "Kylo Ren" does not sound remotely sinister or villainous. Captain Phasma - good or bad? And then there's loving "Snoke". The Big Bad should not be called loving "Snoke" unless you're watching the Moomins. (I can never remember Maz's surname, because my brain always parses it as "katana".) It's all just a glop of syllables.

BB-8 is actually the most memorable of the lot, because it has a bit of rhythm to it and he's shaped sort of like a baseball. See? That works.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

so new lego sets have leaked which include sets for rise of the Skywalker

In case anyone was worried we wouldn't be getting a sandbarge fight. You can put those worries to rest now
So after looking at all those, one thought comes to me...

"Why do the shuttles need such huge gently caress-off wings when everything in the Star Wars universe can hover?"

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, give Poe a special one and paint it black.
I see an X-Wing and I want to paint it blaa-aack...

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Dishwasher posted:

Now a want a Star Wars Shakespearean stage play.
I'm certain that some years back I saw a book that retold ANH in iambic pentameter.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

[Close on Leia] "Rey," [faint but discernible shift as one take is morphed into another] "I,"

[Cut to over-the-shoulder shot of 'Leia' facing Rey; impersonator's voice] "Am your mother."

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Star Wars Episode IX: A Series Of MacGuffin Hunts.

That all sounds terrible, so it's probably accurate.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

"It's for the fans!"

[Fat Riker wanders into the holodeck]

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

The Tusken Raider fighter was named Hoar. That struck me as an interesting choice because I don't know any other ways to pronounce that.
Like the TIE fighter noise. "HhhOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRrrrrrr."

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

"Everything your childhood heroes did was for nothing, all that they built has been reduced to ashes, and now they're dead. But look, Y-Wings are back!"

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Mandrel posted:

there really isn’t any reason they couldn’t have just had Hayden Christensen Anakin in TPM. nothing in the plot requires him to be that young, and it actually would make more sense and flow a lot better if he was like 17 which Hayden was at the time of filming. rewatched TPM last night and sort of just imagined an alternate version in all of Jake Lloyd’s scenes even with identical dialogue (minus the YIPPEEs) and it works so much better. he even would’ve been the same age as padme/Natalie Portman. it’s so loving weird that he’s this tiny lollipop headed kid then flash forward barely a few years and he’s Hayden Christensen and Padme is like yeahh theres grass on the field now baby lets play ball

it’s even a big plot point that he’s too old to be trained as a Jedi, which would really hit with a nearly grown rear end Hayden who’s been like the man of the house and formed tons of emotional attachments whereas with Jake Lloyd it’s like, jfc how young does he have to be for you guys he looks like he’s 8.
It would also have made his building A: a sentient robot, and B: the jet-powered equivalent of a championship-winning F1 car, out of scrounged scrap a bit easier to swallow at 17 than at 8.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Seems that JJ has a fetish. Spaceships rising out of oceans (everything to do with it)

Always reminds me of that Futurama episode. "How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?" "Well, it's a spaceship, so between zero and one."

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

It's kind of mindblowing that a movie seemingly built on "let's take what you've seen before and mess with it!" didn't go the opposite way to Empire at that point and have the hero join the villain. You had one film end on a cliffhanger, why not the next? Two years of "holy poo poo, she said yes! What's going to happen next?" would raise a hell of a lot more anticipation than "so the good guys are gonna rebuild and take on the bad guys, somehow, I guess?"

I mean, who didn't take Revan down the Dark Side ending? At least in an alternate save.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Shiroc posted:

The First Order Stormtrooper is the only design in the ST that I actually think is pretty good because it carries the design evolution from the Clonetroopers to Stormtroopers forward and would have worked even in a better story that still wanted some kind of Stormtrooper.
I always thought the FO stormtroopers look far too happy. The way the black parts of the faceplate join up gives them a big derpy smile.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

IIRC, most if not all of the environments in the pod race are miniatures, and only the pods themselves (and some of the drivers, obviously) are CG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

He also asked for Luke to not be floating rocks.
That makes sense, though. "Huh, a spaceship just landed. Looked and sounded like the Millennium Falcon. R2 must have woken up and given someone the last piece of the map to find me. Should I see who it is? Nah, I'll just keep on doing Force Practice 101."