Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

https://youtu.be/no4SxdIIDBE

here’s that Maul final Real death from the cartoon which i guess takes place right before ANH. i’ve never watched any of the cartoons beyond a few scenes and maintain bringing him back with loving robot legs and an evil big brother was the dumbest poo poo but this is a pretty cool low-key scene with some nice characterization for both maul and obi-wan. it’s pretty cool how obi-wan switches to qui gon’s stance to bait maul into going for that same move then finishes him in one blow

if the intention of bringing Maul back in the movies is to set him up for more Solo movies or for a Kenobi movie it kind of makes this weird though, because from what I can tell they pretty much mined Maul pretty thoroughly across that span of time and it doesn’t seem like he’s seen Kenobi since the Clone Wars so

idk, whatever. i’ll probably still mark out seeing ray park on screen in the makeup again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is the first I’ve seen of cartoon Maul but I like him thinking the chosen one will avenge the Sith. He didn’t get much in TPM but he does come off as the only True Believer dark side guy we’ve seen.

i think it’s the opposite from the clips I’ve seen. he feels like Sidious hosed him over and abandoned him and is all about his personal quest for vengeance on everybody who wronged him (Kenobi, sidious). I think he’s just taking solace that whoever Kenobi is protecting is eventually going to ensure Sidious gets what’s coming to him. not sure he cares a lot one way or the other about the whole supremacy of the dark/light business

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

uh why does Maul look so loving weird and different in that screen cap. it’s the same loving actor and he hasn’t exactly aged a ton, the makeup looks substantially different. what the gently caress?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Having not watched the cartoons, does TCW/Rebels version of Maul keep his old EU pre TPM backstory? I always liked the stuff with Sidious taking him from his home as a child and raising him as a Sith in a sort of evil version of the golden age Jedi way of training. The dynamic of Maul seeing Sidious as more abusive demanding father than master and basically being groomed to fight a holy war he probably doesn’t really care about for his own reasons was good stuff and I feel like would add to the vendetta he’d have with Sidious post-TPM

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Solo is the first Star Wars movie in my life i haven’t seen on opening night which feels weird but TLJ just completely sucked any enthusiasm I had for the new Star Wars out of my body Shang Tsung style. still looking forward to seeing it but i have to imagine that’s the case for a decent amount of people if the early box office reports are accurate

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Barudak posted:

Seriously, Obi-wan likes a good scrap, a good drink, and a good boast. He probably is only into celibacy because he thinks hed lose his edge otherwise.

in the EU obi-wan got his bone on a lot, he just kept it attachment free baby

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

darth maul was an extremely cool design and character with a pretty cool EU backstory. they probably shouldn't have killed him off in 1 and kept him around til 3 instead of recycling through boring rear end dooku and grievous. i was down with the idea of bringing him back but from my youtube research most of what he was brought back to do (other than his fight/final death against Obi Wan in rebels) was loving dorky and lame. also his hammy cartoon voice is terrible and it's even hammier and more terrible superimposed over ray park maul in Solo

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Covok posted:

Listen, people have a right to their opinion but saying Sam Witwer's Maul voice is bad is factually wrong

it's bad

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

one of the weirdest things about the Disney Star Wars is how mismanaged everything seems at like, a production level post TFA. like say what you want about TFA but the movie is polished to a mirror sheen. everything since has been kind of a mess in one way or another, mixed with the weird statement that they had no plan/arc planned out for the franchise post TFA and it’s like, what is going on over there. it feels like a bizarre level of gently caress it for such a massive franchise and investment

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

do a loving Mace Windu movie you cowards

if darth maul survives being cut in half and dropped 5000 feet on his head down a reactor tube im pretty sure Mace Windu could survive an attack that’s literally killed like no one in Star Wars ever

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

“And I thought when I came in, I assumed they knew who it was and they were just keeping it under wraps. And they didn’t.”

I thought they had a plan they were keeping under wraps but it turned out they didn’t so I just pulled something out of my rear end: The Disney Star Wars Story

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

pretty much any gimmick scenario is about 1000x more likely than them actually taking a leap on essentially writing a new character to fill Boba Fett’s shoes so at least one of you will get your wish

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Hazo posted:

So does this mean the LIGHTSABER THROW move from every video game since 1997 is now canon?

uh Vader did it in ROTJ so it’s been canon for longer than that

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

who are my parents

I’m nobody

I like this

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it’s a real problem when your serious villains are all such bumbling comic relief that it’s impossible to understand how they’ve seized control

also hard to understand what exactly our heroes are fighting for when the movie flat out tells us nobody but the people in the room we’re seeing care about this

like remove everything else and look at it in a vacuum, even episode 1 at least gave us enough of a coherent explanation of why the trade federation is bad. they immediately try to kill the Jedi diplomats after luring them in on pretense of negotiation, they’re blockading a world we know is chill and peaceful cause we spend a lot of time on it, the world has no real army or defenses to repel the droid occupiers so they’re a legit threat. and we understand why the Republic hasn’t acted because of bureaucratic gridlock and red tape. all the players and the scope of the conflict are clearly defined.

in the ST we’re two movies in and nobody even has a clear understanding of whether there’s a Republic or not or who’s in charge or what anyone even wants

seems like they should’ve written some sort of outline

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

either explanation is pretty embarrassing and creatively bankrupt. like talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too

Edit: just because there’s only so many biomes isn’t any excuse. Utapau, Naboo, Kamino, and Mustafar were different. Geonosis was a desert but it didn’t feel anything like Tatooine.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Rian Johnson finds himself leaping from film to film, loving things up that once went right and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the heart of the thing is, the ESB scene is compelling as gently caress and the TLJ one isn’t. i’ve seen a ton of person stands in front of a bunch of mirrors and it represents mumble mumble something about emptiness and who they are mumble. Zardoz did that poo poo.

in ESB you have no idea what’s going on with that cave, Yoda is cryptic as hell about it, you don’t know what to expect. then Vader shows up seemingly in the flesh and Luke cuts his head off and his helmet blows up and you’re confronted with a dead eyed Luke head inside staring at both Luke and you the viewer. it’s as clear an elemental metaphor as you can get while being visceral and visually striking.

my evidence of this is that ESB scene has stuck with me my whole life and I literally forgot about the scene in TLJ until these posts

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah I can’t really get behind the “well it’s hard to continue a story that was already finished” excuse when they literally did not have to try and continue that story. especially when they wiped the entire EU with the reasoning that they needed the freedom to tell new stories then proceeded to not tell any new stories. they gave themselves the total freedom to tell whatever original stories they want in this beloved fleshed out universe with this cashcow brand name and have so far done gently caress all with it outside Rogue One

say what you want about the various bullshit in the EU, but if they had just cherry picked some post-ROTJ story arc to adapt and used it as an outline to adapt for a ST it would’ve been more coherent than what we’ve ended up with

I was totally onboard when they wiped out all the convolutions of the old EU but at this point I would’ve much rather they just kept it and adapted what they wanted for movies

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

like The Bandit and his hat, The Mandalorian only takes his helmet off for one thing and one thing only

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it’s an Entertainment photoshoot. they all look terrible and weird and like bad cosplay somehow

does anybody have any insight on that actually? why does Entertainment make everything look so terrible? is it like the lighting or composition or like combination of unedited set photos taken in super high definition with lack of eye for cinematic composition?

and bigger question, they obviously know it looks terrible so what’s up with it being like Entertainment’s “Style” to shoot things this way? have they always done that? is it a branding thing to make them stand out like how some stores will get upside down billboards?

these aren’t rhetorical questions I’m honestly curious about this

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I kind of thought the knights of ren were like dark Jedi or some other kind of force acolytes who followed Kylo away from Luke

but apparently they’re just tough storm troopers?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

Lol, loving WOW!

so Luke’s Big Sacrifice really was a complete and utter waste for everyone. turns out he didn’t need to be a symbol of hope in the galaxy at all. could’ve just sat back drinking that blue titty milk and hitting the weights getting yolked for a real showdown with Kylo instead of getting too tuckered out and dropping dead after doing literally loving nothing for like 35 years or whatever

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

porfiria posted:

I mean it’s the villain saying it to be fair.

gently caress everything about this movie sounds so slap dash. I thought TLJ was pretty bad but at least it had an opinion.

it didn’t though. it contradicted and walked back all its dumb opinions by the end of its own movie

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

I did, that book was pretty horned up by old EU standards yes. But all it really amounted to was a creeper lizard dude who had pheromone powers trying and failing to seduce leia IIRC.

are we just going to pretend Dark Nest didn’t happen now

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Can we please?

no. bug orgy is canon as far as I’m concerned.

disney are cowards until rey and kylo have tantric group sex with a bunch of bugs

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Hollywood Reporter has a big expose on the GOT guys leaving Star Wars, and the gist of it is that things turned sour between Disney and the two writers when they announced that huge Netflix deal. Kathleen Kennedy specifically believed that they would not be able to focus on Star Wars and also run content for Netflix.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1189690202199134208

she’s probably right. dudes needed two years to finish an abbreviated 6 episode season of GoT that ended up sucking absolute rear end anyway

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

there really isn’t any reason they couldn’t have just had Hayden Christensen Anakin in TPM. nothing in the plot requires him to be that young, and it actually would make more sense and flow a lot better if he was like 17 which Hayden was at the time of filming. rewatched TPM last night and sort of just imagined an alternate version in all of Jake Lloyd’s scenes even with identical dialogue (minus the YIPPEEs) and it works so much better. he even would’ve been the same age as padme/Natalie Portman. it’s so loving weird that he’s this tiny lollipop headed kid then flash forward barely a few years and he’s Hayden Christensen and Padme is like yeahh theres grass on the field now baby lets play ball

it’s even a big plot point that he’s too old to be trained as a Jedi, which would really hit with a nearly grown rear end Hayden who’s been like the man of the house and formed tons of emotional attachments whereas with Jake Lloyd it’s like, jfc how young does he have to be for you guys he looks like he’s 8.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

:agreed:

I think it would've made the bond and tragedy between Anakin and his mother even stronger if he were older. That just means he had to care for her and himself that much longer as slaves. It'd also better parallel the dogmatic "he's to old" with Luke.

that’s how I feel about it. I feel like little kids tend to deal with the loss of a parent much better than teenagers do. Anakin wasn’t even old enough for the whole reality of being a slave with a bomb in his head or whatever to even sink in, he still had his childlike wonder/irreverence to the whole thing. he was a little reluctant to leave her to become a Jedi but was mostly stoked about the whole thing, he was naive enough to think he was just gonna come back and save her and free everybody. feel like that choice would’ve been a lot more fraught and also a cause for immediately simmering conflict resentment if he had been a teen from the jump.

plus it would make the Obi-Wan/Anakin relationship issue of their relatively close ages and maturity levels more clear to the audience without requiring them to view a bunch of TV show and EU material to get it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

re: Feige I mean I don’t want to see Star Wars to become as homogenized as the MCU but one thing I feel about the MCU is that there’s a consistent level of baseline quality, coherence, planning, and respect for the source material without being completely beholden to it. I think they strike a good balance of pleasing the unwashed nerds by mining the good stuff while putting enough of their own twists on it that it’s still engaging.

if it’s a binary choice between the boring derivative mess we’ve got currently and a homogenous MCU-ized Feige led Star Wars I’d prefer the latter honestly.

I feel like if we’d started with that Feige would’ve done like with Marvel and just kept the EU around to mine for ideas and stories and poo poo to adapt. which would’ve worked better than Disney’s strategy to wipe the slate clean to “tell new stories” only to end up doing shittier narratively confused Best Value mashups of the same EU ideas.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

I personally don't want to settle for a baseline quality that amounts to "just ok" with Star Wars. Keep that for the MCU, and I hope Disney keeps Feige on the MCU. What I'd like to see is Disney giving Dave Filoni creative control over Lucasfilm movie ventures. That's the best case scenario imo, not deploying the MCU formula to Star Wars.

i mean yeah i also would prefer uncompromisingly good interesting movies that meet my ideals and hopes but you and i don’t get a say in that. i’m just going off what the likely possible scenarios are given Disney’s wheelhouse of talent and decision making and I’d prefer the one that gives me more entertaining movies

don’t get me wrong I love trash movies and prefer bad-but-exciting to competent-but-boring but TLJ and Solo aren’t even like fun bad they’re just boring and forgettable and completely devoid of creativity. TFA too in retrospect, I liked it at the time when it seemed like a necessary table setting jumping off point but it’s become retroactively lamer

i have no opinion on Filoni and didn’t enjoy what ive seen of TCW show but everybody likes him so sure
that’d be cool too. but i can’t see Disney giving Kathleen Kennedy the boot for him, whereas I can for Feige

quote:

Everything I've read and heard has led me to believe that a majority of the Star Wars EU is poo poo.

so is the majority of Disney’s new canon. at least the EU was largely creative poo poo. say what you want about the Vong or those bugs or whatever but at least they were big new stories that weren’t just the Empire but Again

poo poo when the EU was doing the Empire but Still like 30 years ago at least the stakes and world building were clearly explained and coherent.

anyway to me the EU is like comic books. there’s over 30 years of it and more than one person could probably ever consume, a lot of it is trash, some of it is great, some of it (a lot of it) has interesting concepts done poorly and nobody normal is honestly that attached to the sanctity of any of it.

so why not mine the hell out of that poo poo if you don’t have any plan or new ideas yourself to bring to the table

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

TerminalRaptor posted:

Was it in the EU or just a fan theory that the Emperor was obsessed with the far reaches because the sith, the race, were still out there waiting to return and that's part of the reason he was building up the empire?

I always liked the heroes were just an annoyance for the bad guys true motivations angle.

yeah in the EU Palpatine was preparing for the Vong

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

In my opinion episode VIII uses more roman numeral characters than any other episode

wrong bitch

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Ammanas posted:

so the emperor was right? what kinda stupid poo poo

yeah the emperor loving loved Roman numerals

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

for real we’re all just arguing about the space kids movies on the Internet while we kill time at work or whatever. if anyone here legitimately cares that much about this poo poo take a minute and evaluate what you’re doing here

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

there is not an original idea in TLJ

that said gently caress off Bob Iger, Star Wars isn’t special and sacred. there are 800 new Marvel movies every year and they all do gangbusters because they’re fun and people like them. they make people feel good and entertained. when one is bad people go oh well, I didn’t like that one but that other one is gonna be sick, I’m excited for that one.

don’t take your ball and go home because people didn’t like your bad movie. just make better loving movies you idiot.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

tlj tries to introduce some new ideas to the star wars canon. It fails at following through on the ideas... and in some cases directly contradicts itself... but still.

• "big grandiose combat missions where a bunch of people die, but an enemy ship gets blown up, are often dumb as hell"

characters in the movie appear to be trying to make this point but it’s nonsensical in the context of the movie and actively disproven by the events that happen around and subsequently to them. kind of a nonsensical point in general in the Star Wars. what’s this meant to be a counterpoint to in canon or otherwise? should Luke and Wedge called the trench run off when Porkins got vaporized or what? is the message that victory isn’t worth it if it comes with sacrifice?

quote:

• "keeping friends alive is more important than killing enemies"'

this is the central dramatic conflict for the third act of ESB. Luke defies the wisdom of Yoda and Obi Wan’s focus on the mission to save his friends from danger.

in ROTJ it’s also the dramatic resolution of Anakin and Luke’s whole story, when Luke refuses to fight or even save the Rebellion if it means killing his father.

it’s Obi-Wan’s whole sacrifice in ANH

TLJ is the only one to have a character just state the narrative subtext out loud in front of a massive explosion though so you know, you have to give it that

quote:

These two points are central to the movie, and put it completely at odds with other Star Wars movies like A New Hope and, especially, Rogue One, which basically makes the exact opposite point

incorrect

quote:

• Force users can fly through space like superman! They'll die of exposure in 1 minute, but it's something they can do

done in the EU

quote:

• Some force users can use the force to communicate face-to-face (this has been done before, but not in the style of the Rey / Kylo exposition scenes, which are really well done)

done in the EU, described by various authors in the exact same way

quote:

• the idea that there are probably shitloads of little kids and common folk out there with force powers, and they have basically unlimited potential to change the world (the final shot of the film was probably the best part about tlj... too bad the idea will be completely dropped for the next movie)

uhh kind of central to the whole premise of Star Wars universe since its inception. being a Jedi wasn’t a family profession (before the Skywalkers anyway).

TLJ is the only one to convey it via a little Coca Cola commercial epilogue though so that’s cool

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

in episode 8 the mandalorian finally takes off his helmet and its maclunkey

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Whoever is filming mandalorian has no idea how to convey the leads competence in action scenes

The brief jango Fett fight with obiwan was a million times better than anything in that first webseries ep

Filoni directed the first one and its apparently like his first real live action directing job ever. it definitely showed at parts, but i expect the rest of the series will look better in more experienced hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably a dumb question on the Mandalorian.

So you have a space ship that can go anywhere. But to get where you are going you have to ride horseback. Did I loving miss something?

it was in a pretty mountainous area, assuming there’s no landing area or they have AA guns or whatever. plus seems like he wanted the element of surprise