Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Did he just completely gently caress off the forums though? Seems like he just stopped altogether.
It turned out Star Wars was the only thing sustaining him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Who hasn't seen Last Action Hero?
*starts furiously re-reading plot summary on wikipedia*

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

cargohills posted:

i have the remarkable, almost supernatural ability to remember things that happened in the past and use these memories to shape my expectations for the future
somebody check this guy's midichlorian count

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Star Wars IX: Return of the Status Quo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Good Will Forcing

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I still really want Force Ghost Hayden Christensen to show up. Like, what has ghost Anakin been doing since RotJ? Only Yoda could be bothered to show up to talk to Luke?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

OT: Yay! We killed the bad guy! Time for the good guys to fix everything!

PT: Hmm maybe killing one bad guy isn't actually enough, and maybe the system that allowed him to come to power was the real problem!

ST: Actually, the problem is we didn't kill the bad guy hard enough.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

KSSSH HOOO KSSSH

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

hahah is this poo poo real?
yes, but it happened a long time ago

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

This movie is gonna be bad and bad to watch.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

If Palestine Ghost was behind everything anyway
drat I'm really getting tempted to read these spoilers

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

Hasn't Palpatine coming back basically been confirmed at this point?
Plot twist: he shows up early in the movie but Rian Johnson himself sneaks up and murders him unceremoniously. Johnson is the true villain of the new trilogy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It still seems utterly insane to me that they knew from day 1 that the sequel films would be a trilogy, and they didn't bother to even plan a basic story arc outline for them.
Planning an actual story arc means you can't sociopathically adapt to your focus groups and completely rework the entire shape of your narrative at the drop of a hat.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

General Dog posted:

"Never tell me the odds," said Han, and then C-3P0 grabbed the stick and steered the Falcon away from the asteroid belt and radioed the nearest Star Destoryer their intent to surrender.
and then they made out a little bit

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The ending stinger definitely should have been one of the horse things displaying force powers instead of some dumb kid.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"Uh oh, the horses have escaped. Should we detonate their brain bombs?"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Argas posted:

Well you can't just make Vader everyone's dad.
Unless... unless we construct some kind of Dad Star...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pictured: Kylo, Kyylo, and Bigger Kylo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

What a rumour! Wow, something might be bad.
No, the rumor is that it's definitely bad! Very different.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

romanowski posted:

:crossarms:

e: maybe you're thinking of the dirty dozen?
Well they're all essentially the same genre of "movie with a number in the name," so sure.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sorry I'm sure this has been covered but, how much time does the sequel trilogy actually cover? It feels like literally about a week goes by from the start of TFA to the end of RoS.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

TFA and TLJ are a few days, max. RoS is a year or so later.
I guess the main sign that time has passed is that Rey is better at making rocks float...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So, that "ancestor's festival" or whatever that they found themselves at in their search for the knife is only held once every 42 years, right?

Was odd to name that given that this movie came out 42 years after ANH. Are they trying to make some kind of commentary here or was it just lulz 42 stuff?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rey, I meant to tell you earlier.......Maclunkey

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Raccooon posted:

Next Star Wars movie will have a Jedi deflect a death star shot with a lightsaber lol
But then it tragically bounces straight into Chewie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The same is true of the Ewok films, which have likewise survived because they're really well-made.
In what sense have those movies survived tho

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No I mean literally how do I watch the Ewok movies. It feels like they haven't survived

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Honestly I think it's just that modern movies have become so terrible that younger folks think they're actually good films now.

Like, yea they're good films compared to the Transformers movies or Pacific Rim or whatever.
Yep, there weren't popular bad movies before

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to see a Jedi/Sith pull a moon down from space to splatter Chewie, that'd be pretty cool.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Luke has spent years shooting animals for fun from his crop duster.
The signs were all there, we should have known he'd go on to kill millions

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Arist posted:

Jesus christ, that can't be true. I refuse.
search your sheevings

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah it's kinda pointless to look at the takes from people who totally hate either set of movies, because you'll always see a lot of "this is completely incomprehensible nonsense" from people who aren't at all interested in parsing something meaningful from the movie. If even defenders of a movie can't explain it, it's a much more interesting sign.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pretty classic that pages and pages of interesting effort posts (without even any SMG snark) end on a bullshit probe, lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's no Luke...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is Snoke some combation of Sno....(something) and Luke?

Maybe it just rhymes with "joke" because he's more of a punchline than anything.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was thinking Snoke sounds like a Mortal Kombat name until I remembered there's one just called Smoke

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

So uh...1/3rd the speed of a modern fighter. Maybe before dorks start making up all their stupid rpg stats they should take a second to google the subject
No, kph is kiloparsecs per hour, obviously

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Even when he was zapping Luke it's pretty easy to see that all as attempting to goad Luke into violence. In his mind, if Luke doesn't fight back he just dies; not exactly Palpatine's ideal plan, but merely a disappointment rather than a genuine obstacle.

In RoS, it felt like Rey's great comeback was like "oh, you want me to strike you down in anger? But what if... I kill you while being totally calm and collected? I bet you didn't think of that!" and somehow he actually hadn't thought of that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shiroc posted:

At the risk of red texting myself, I have used the sand line as a fence sitting joke/nerdy come on with three different people and ended up making out with all of them. Earnest, clumsy awkwardness can be endearing at the right moments with the right people.
Break out the "I'll try spinning, that's a good trick" in bed to really test your theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

quote:

George Lucas: When writing the movies, I tried to make sure that aliens and droids got killed, but not people.
lol

Like, he's speaking to certain guidelines in crafting the movie in terms of the way audiences interact with specific imagery, but it's pretty wild to imply that means he thinks killing aliens in Star Wars isn't as morally wrong as killing humans.