Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SimonCat posted:

On second thought, don't, it's like visiting Pinhead's lair.

WE HAVE SUCH SIGHTS TO SHOW YOU

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Food Boner posted:

is it the original darth maul guy

ray park sounds right

Yes, apparently it's Park, but it's the guy from the cartoon doing the voice instead of Peter Serafinowicz.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Food Boner posted:

didnt realize it wasn't park speaking!

Park doesn't usually speak for his roles. He doesn't have the most imposing voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qVc7SLIW2Y&t=88s

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Eeeeeeh. There's nothing wrong with the Ewoks, the one ewok trying to wake up his dead friend is one of the best parts. But the second act sucks and the Endor part of the finale is really lifeless. The effects for the Death Star run are cool but its hard to care about what's going on since it's a retread of the finale of Star Wars. A lot of the film is just shot and staged really lazily too.

The three-parties-acting-at-once third act thing didn't work in Jedi, and I really dislike how it informed some of the movies that followed. Like, in Phantom Menace there was the lightsaber fight, the Naboo fight and the star war, in Force Awakens there was a similar structure. The constant cutting to Endor kills the tension.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hey! I watched the RLM reviews too!

I don't think I've watched anything from RLM in, like, a decade.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

So the Hollywood Reporter is saying that the dude who did the Wolverine movies is directing a Boba Fett movie.

Endless trash dot GIF

God drat it, I'm a huge Mangold fanboy, but him doing Star Wars--a solo Boba Fett movie, no less--leaves me absolutely cold.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I have absolutely zero interest in a Fett movie and was glad when Josh Trank got booted from it because then he could do something else.

He'll wind up casting Jackman as Boba Fett and the Internet will lose its poo poo when he takes his helmet off because it's destroyed the intrigue of one of Star Wars' "most memorable and mysterious characters" or whatever the gently caress.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sassassin posted:

It's Darth Maul's brother.

Darth Lawl.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wank posted:

It blows my mind the budget for Solo was $250 million. Revenge of the Sith was $113 million.

Revenge of the Sith didn't have ~70 percent of the movie re-shot after being essentially completed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Release the lord and Miller cut

They were still shooting when they were fired, I don't think they would have had a cut...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevin Palpatine posted:

the better question is whether cocaine is making a resurgence in hollywood (or did it ever go away)

Well, it was one of the half-dozen drugs found in Carrie Fisher's system after her death...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Even TFA was a clusterfuck of a production and post-production, considering Abrams and Kennedy were begging to have the movie pushed to May 2016, Iger refused because it had already been delayed once, post-production was frenzied (Nyongo said she had to go in five or six times to record her dialogue because Maz's character kept changing) and Abrams did a near-total re-edit of the whole thing like a month before release. That it feels as polished as it does is a minor miracle.

If anything, Last Jedi is the one that went the most smoothly, considering Johnson had the final picture locked in the third week of September.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ema Nymton posted:

No dialogue. No motivation. No screen time. Maul has always seemed to me like just another example of why the prequels were trash. And now, there's all these young folks saying that he's awesome. I guess I'm just too old.

Nah, Maul's the same as Boba Fett: He's a plot device with a few lines of dialogue, but because he looks cool, he has this mystique around him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vinylshadow posted:

Turn the Lego games into actual movies

They did that with the cutscenes from LEGO Batman and I think Marvel Superheroes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Top Gun posted:

I wonder if prince xizor was on the list and if he was then Ron Howard hosed up big time.

Yeah, we really need the alien with the rape pheromones to be in a movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I will laugh so, so, so goddamn hard if Episode IX is just two hours of Abrams having a tantrum about The Last Jedi and Disney spends $200 million or whatever making it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kathleen Kennedy has already said, explicitly, that they aren't re-casting Fisher, so if any of that is true it's from when Trevorrow was still working on it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Abrams said that he and Terrio completely trashed Trevorrow's script when he was fired (and Trevorrow himself said that he intended Episode IX to heavily feature Leia), so...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Episode IX is going to open after Leia's death, possibly with her funeral. To think anything else is happening is pure, straight theorycrafting or fanwank. Lucasfilm is not going to recast the most beloved actress of the Original Trilogy and after the backlash they got with the ghoulish appearance in Rogue One, they sure as hell are not taking that path.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hazo posted:

Exactly. Solo didn’t “bomb” no matter how many times people try repeating it. It opened just as well as Rogue One.

Rogue One's opening weekend was $155 million. Solo's was $103 million.

After four weeks, Rogue One had made $440 million. After four weeks, Solo has made ~$194 million.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Outside of a small pocket of the Internet, I don't think the majority of the moviegoing populace is aware of, or gives a flying gently caress about, the re-shoots. The reasons for Solo's failure are simple:

- Terrible release window
- Terrible marketing campaign (remember, we didn't see anything, not even a promo photo, until three months before release)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also it wasn't that good.

Didn't stop Infinity War. :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Max von Sydow was in Judge Dredd and Force Awakens.

And the voice of Vigo the Carpathian.

Dude will do anything for twenty bucks and a sandwich.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

To be fair, would you turn down a job where you sit in a booth and yell about commanding people and living in a castle of pain, sitting on a throne of blood and what is will be will be what is no more, this is the season of evil, find me a child so that I might live again and at the end someone just hands you a paycheck for a sizable amount of money and says "thanks"?

Never would I ever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Billy Dee Williams is in exceptionally poor health and can barely walk, I imagine that might have something to do with it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was most amused to learn that there was a popular rumour in 1997-1999 that Samuel L. Jackson's character in TPM was going to be Lando's grandfather and he was going to be called "Grando".

The Internet was a magical place in the years leading up to The Phantom Menace.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is why Episode IX will do badly.

Oh my loving God, shut up

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only thing you need to look at to see how horrible RotJ's cinematography is, compared to Empire's, is how Dagobah is shot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They did, but they're in the minority.

Oh my loving God, what is your obsession with this?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hodgepodge posted:

But some whiney internet fans means IX won't be a huge blockbuster? You need to get offline a bit more, my man.

It's kind of his thing. He has a bizarre obsession with the idea that Kathleen Kennedy has destroyed Star Wars and any further movies are going to be utter disasters.

And then he Kramers into any thread that even tangentially discusses Star Wars and reminds us all of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vintersorg posted:

Should we expect a new teaser during Super Bowl?

A 30-second spot during the Super Bowl (probably with the title reveal), and then a full trailer with Avengers 4 sounds plausible to me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That's a heck of a leap from 'we thought about using the DS2 ruins' and 'Palpatine was planned from the start', friend.

Yeah, I think that art is from when Arndt was still writing the script of TFA, and the movie had a sequence in which people were exploring the ruins of Death Star II, because the Emperor's throne room contained the map with the original Jedi Temple (and hence Luke's location).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It was then heavily reshot

No, it loving wasn't, and you need to stop beating this drum of fan-fiction in your head.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Taintrunner posted:

Noone's ever really gone.

Who on God's green Earth thought "Harley Quinn meets Darth Vader" was a good idea?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Game. The first two games had semi animated cut scenes, but the third and fourth games had full on live action scenes with branching plot lines, and consequences for failed missions (if your wingman died on a mission, they stopped showing up in cut scenes). You could end the game by straight up dooming humanity if you hosed up enough.

The cast was a lot of fun, too. Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies, Malcolm McDowell, Tom Wilson, and a few other, “Hey, I know that guy!” actors. IV was only okay, but Wing Commander III is a god drat classic.

Yeah, IV is an odd duck, and it's an example of how lovely a project manager Chris Roberts is. He wanted to make movies, not games, so he blew $13 million on building a poo poo-ton of physical sets instead of the CGI ones they used for III, and also insisted on shooting on 35mm film as opposed to digital video. They also turned Tolwyn into Space Hitler, which was a heel turn out of nowhere.

The game was also a rush job, with them using basically the same engine from Wing III (which was itself adapted from Wing Commander Armada), because they couldn't afford much development work on it because Roberts pissed all his budget away on the movie portion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Darth TNT posted:

Holy crap at that cast! I've never played any of the wing commander games. I assume you need a joystick for them?

You can mouse-and-keyboard them but I really, really would not recommend that.

They go for sale on GOG every few months. In addition to the cast members already mentioned, Wing III also has Jason Bernard, John Schuck (Klingon ambassador from Star Trek IV / VI), Tim Curry, Francois Chau, a very young Josh Lucas, and Ginger Lynn Allen.

Wing IV adds Richard Riehle, John Spencer, Mark Dacascos (ALLEZ CUISINE!), Chris Mulkey and Robert Rusler, who you might remember from the second season of Babylon 5.

They scaled back the budget with Wing Commander Prophecy (there's a part where Hamill's character is kidnapped by the aliens, the player character has a nightmare about him being tortured, and Hamill is just covered in Silly String--I poo poo you not), but Hamill, Wilson, Allen, Peter Jason, Mulkey and maybe one or two other actors from Wing III / IV return, I forget (Prophecy kind of sucks, honestly).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I fault the writing and total lack of a plan for where this trilogy is going

I don't get this criticism at all. It's not like Lucas wasn't pulling everything out of his rear end on the original trilogy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Say what you will about Lucas' overall plan (Splinter of A Mind's Eye versus Empire Strikes Back), but he never completely reversed course on villains, personalities, or story themes between movies in the Original Trilogy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

Maryann Brandon, a long-time editing collaborator of director J.J. Abrams, spoke with Express recently and revealed that due to a production time crunch, the upcoming “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” had to get around to the editing stage during filming in order to stay on schedule.

Brandon tells the outlet she spent her time on set effectively never more than ten feet away from Abrams, the pair cutting the film as they shot. This allowed them to get the kinds of shots during the main shoot that meant they could cut down on the number of reshoots needed later.

“When we did The Force Awakens, we started in May and we finished shooting in October, and we were out [the following] Christmas. For this film, we didn’t start until August, so we weren’t done until February shooting – so we have four months less time, and it’s a very big film. So I convinced J.J. to let me cut on the set.

I had the DP right there to ask questions. If I needed a shot, or if J.J. decided we needed another shot, we would set up in a corner and get a green screen shot of something. Getting to know the cast and having them be comfortable with me, it was a really great way to understand what they were going through.”

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Perhaps they should have considered using "red matter" instead, lol

I had to re-read that tweet a few times because that was my exact reaction.