Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

teagone posted:

Wonder how it works.

There's a pair of spooled strips of plastic that unfurl (think of a tape measure being extended) and press together into two halves of a clear cylinder, inside which is a strip of LED lights that produce the illumination. Disney patented it a couple of years ago:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10065127B1/en

Neat trick, though it looks like it would be fairly fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

euphronius posted:

Yes the FO is a government

A government of what state, though? The part that was never clear to me was whether it was a rival government of the Republic (which would better recreate the civil war in the original trilogy) or the government of an invading external state.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Has a story ever had the contents of a "mystery box" be satisfyingly revealed?

Sure, because a "mystery box" is just any question an audience member might have at any point in time or anything they might not know. In his TED talk where he introduced the term, JJ Abrams described not immediately knowing who Leia is in A New Hope as a mystery box. You eventually find out she's a space princess trying to fight an empire. People seem to like the character, so presumably that's a satisfying reveal.

You can see him discuss it here, timestamped to the bit where he briefly discusses Star Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpjVgF5JDq8&t=511s

He also discusses the surprise of Die Hard having a divorce subplot as being the reveal of what's inside the mystery box of an action movie. Or a scene of Chief Brody having a sweet moment with his son in Jaws as the mystery that is revealed inside the mystery box that is a shark attack movie. And those are plenty satisfying.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

This is absolutely not what anybody means by "mystery box."

Except the dude who originated the use of it in regards to storytelling. Who later directed two of the movies being discussed here.

Jerkface posted:

Bro those are not mystery boxes and a key factor is the things you mention are all discovered in the movie, not teased to be resolved in a later film. Leia being a space princess fighting the empire is revealed in her introduction!

So there are no single-film mystery boxes. Does everyone agree with that?

Space Fish posted:

JJ can define a mystery box however he wants, but the mystery boxes associated with his movies/shows are more like tacit acknowledgements that go nowhere. "A story for another time" type handwaves like the blue lightsaber or any of a dozen "what was that / who cares keep running" sequences. I'm all about going with a story's flow and enjoying the moment, but at the same time, the story shouldn't draw attention to its seams before aggressively steering away from them.

So a mystery box requires a specific call out that there is a mystery?

If you all are not willing to rely on the guy who introduced the idea, then is there a consensus on what the term means?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doronin posted:

I'm catching up on the thread, but am I the only one just enjoying Obi Wan? I think it's cool and good.

What do you like about it?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Well, let's be real - they're just going to remake the movies once Lucas dies. So, you'll probably just get Hayden as Vader.

Why would George Lucas being alive or dead be an issue for Disney in that regard?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Disney has done a bunch of adaptations of animated movies into live action or photorealistic CGI, but have they remade a lot of live-action movies?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Robot Style posted:

They've done a few:

Thanks for the list. Those sorts of nostalgia remakes seem like the sort of thing that Disney is already accomplishing with stuff like bringing back the old cast, computer homunculus Luke Skywalker, Obi-Win recontextualizing the OT, etc. Your suggestion that they can just stealth remake the movies by adjusting whatever part of the loose continuity needs changing in other projects without formally announcing a new Episode IV would seem to fit with that.

Maybe if Star Wars actually dies at some point you could see remakes after a generation, but I'm not buying the whole once-George-Lucas-croaks-it's-on perspective.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

YaketySass posted:

The Disney movies have a fetishistic fixation on objects, it's weirdly offputting. I don't remember anything like it in the Lucas ones outside of the initial "here's your father's sword".

And even that, taken solely in the context of the first movie, could easily have been one of Obi-Wan's lies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

garycoleisgod posted:

Well, if you take Luke at his word, no, but I wonder how the courts would view someone in our world standing over someone while they sleep and readying/activating a lethal weapon, is there even a charge for that?

If the sleeping person wakes and has a reasonable apprehension that they will be imminently attacked, it's assault (which, unlike the standard usage, in the law does not require physical harm or even physical contact). Raising your fists in a threatening way is enough, so a lit lightsaber held above someone would likely get you there. Given the lack of physical harm caused by Luke, it'd be a misdemeanor, with a sentence of up to six months in prison.

Don't think you get to attempted murder given that Luke didn't try to go through with it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doesn't The Last Jedi feature a moment where Rey flicks her sword off to reposition in a fight before quickly igniting it, something impossible with a real sword? The fight in the woods in The Force Awakens seems more like the scene you want for straight-up medieval sword-fighting in space.

Wolfsheim posted:

No if anything they would look less like real sword battles and more like two guys rapidly turning them off and on in a series of weird feints and awkward hand movements since they don't really weigh or work like real swords at all, while also trying to hemorrhage each other's brains with the Force

But none of that would be especially visually interesting or congruent with the draw of space knights with laser swords so :shrug:

I'm not at all convinced that psychics battering each other amid a flurry of flickering beams of light couldn't look incredible on-screen, but you're right that it's a different aesthetic than these movies are aiming for and that's a reasonable choice for the filmmakers to make.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Just for reference, the screenshot with Greedo's full name is from Wikipedia. Wookiepedia makes no mention of it. I don't know why.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's hard to ignore the obvious implications of a name like "the Dark Side" too.

While that's one possible implication, it's not the only one. It's ordinary speech to state that, say, someone is a generally a good guy, but they do have their dark side. Whereas I've never heard the opposite construction, that someone is generally a bad guy, but they do have their light side. For there to be "the Force" and "the Dark Side of the Force" fits perfectly well with how something having a "dark side" can work colloquially.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 23, 2023

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Meanwhile, Geonosis is established by the audio commentary to be made of spit or other bug excretion.

As in the entire planet is made of bug spit?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Their structures are, and by implication maybe the robots.

Oh, that's disappointingly limited.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Oh, yeah, the part about the robots is cool and fits with the look of the planet. I just liked the idea that the entire planet, down to the core, was dried bug spit.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The whole Order has a bit of that going on, considering they were taken and raised as Jedi starting from even younger than Anakin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda the whole point is that it's full of cloistered weirdos specifically raised into the Order to have little to no memory of their families and being almost literally in an ivory tower as a result. Anakin raises a lot of good points because he actually has experience outside that bubble as what it's like to live in the most neglected parts of the galaxy, but he's constantly overruled as a problem child.

Yeah, that's what I'm referencing. Even with the reverence he's treated with for his childhood heroism, Anakin has more humility and perspective than what we see of the Jedi Order, composed of people taken even younger than him.