Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I feel like there's not enough discussion here about that singing alien in a jar

second best scene of the new star wars movies after luke drinking the milk in last jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
In his film, Boba Fett should be an aging bail bondsman who gets involved with a Corellian transport ship employee in a complex scheme to escape from a life of crime and steal 1 million credits from a Hutt

Also Michael Keaton is there

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Barudak posted:

If those rumors are true I'm gonna be genuinely impressed at how Disney completely imploded a cultural touchstone so goddamn fast.

Said cultural touchstone already imploded 20 years ago, so they'd be imploding the implosion

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Give me Von Trier Star Wars

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The true fate of Chewbacca finally realised on screen:

I appreciate this

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Harime Nui posted:

Only satisfying ending is for Rey and Kylo to conceive a new Chosen One the same way Palpatine and Plagueis did, performing a Force Ritual holding each others' shoulders and then headbutting one another screaming "FORCE! FORCE! FORCE! BOOYAH!"

It's a testament to how much I love Adam Driver in these movies that I could picture him doing this and the mental image delighted me

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just want to take a step back: Star Wars toys had nothing to do with Toys R Us going out of business. They did a terrible leveraged buy out deal that made it basically impossible for them to get out of debt.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
While we’re having the discussion, here is my biggest issue with the sequel trilogy:

Because of the low bar they had to clear (just make it feel like Star Wars again) they gave us a movie that starts with the status quo from before RotJ having already been restored. An interesting story would have been to show us HOW we got there - a nascent First Order obtaining power over the course of the movie, but instead they just go “hey it’s Star Wars again! There are stormtroopers and an empire and a rebellion and a desert planet and...”

It dampens the ending of Return of the Jedi and just made the movie feel like such a retread.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I honestly would be okay if the Finn/Poe/Rey story continued for a new trilogy after IX, one that completely leaves behind all the Skywalker/Solo stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That’s neat, didn’t know that. Matte paintings are amazing, like I get that movies don’t really need them anymore but what a beautiful art form.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is constable zuvio gonna be in this movie

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I haven't watched TLJ so I only know the summaries and spoilers, but everything about it sounds like the story is driven by the incompetence of the First Order. Like, Poe being able to fly around and blow a bunch of crap up because the dreadnaught decided it wasn't worth launching TIES. And if Holdo was relying on them to have their shields down for that maneuver, then it just sounds like bad writing.

That's just me, though. :shrug:

“I haven’t watched this movie but here is my criticism based on the movie’s Wikipedia page” is some real dumbass poo poo

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Every so often I will remember the words “Elan Sleazebaggano” and think to myself, hey this star wars thing is alright.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Death Star IS a moon.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I won't rest until Disney brings Luuke into canon

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Phasma is way worse than Fett even. Boba Fett gets to say and do some cool poo poo in Empire before he gets totally owned.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I enjoyed this meme but I also have trouble believing someone who was a literal toddler when Phantom Menace came out didn't enjoy it then, too.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The reply to this is the hardest I’ve laughed all month

https://twitter.com/ericfell/status/1194200262019170304?s=21

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So apparently Sebulba also says MACLUNKEY in Episode I? That’s what Twitter people are saying at least

If so then this is 100% a George Lucas “it rhymes” addition aahhahaha

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

exquisite tea posted:

Hopefully every other meddling Hollywood director takes note and we get a new cut of Apocalypse Now with Marlon Brando whispering maclunkey

Kurtz posted:

I've seen horrors, horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that, but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror! Horror has a face, and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.

MACLUNKEY!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I legit forgot that Finn was a stormtrooper until people brought it up

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think the sequel trilogy has been bad but I also think it’s funny how much people in this thread poo poo on like, totally normal looking movie posters or the fact that the knights a few posts up have stupid non functional helmets.

stupid non functional helmets are a standard part of Star Wars. It’s not even the first time a helmet has had horse blinders on it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The funny thing about “not having palpatine in this story would be crazy!” is that that line of thinking way more makes sense for Anakin who has a major presence as the fallen hero in the PT and the redeemed villain in the OT and who could conceivably appear in the ST as a full on hero/guiding mentor.

But literally no one would want this because it mean

A. Doubling down on the whole “anakin’s force ghost is a 25 year old man for some reason”
B. Bringing back the person who delivered maybe the single worst acting performance in the entire franchise

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
In order to make the new trilogy a true parallel for our times, Dexter Jettster should have been elected president of the republic senate.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

George H.W. oval office posted:

I still think the tragic arc of Anakin would have been way better if he were aged up in TPM. Keep literally everything just age him up a bit

It’s maybe the most easily fixable problem in the prequels. Anakin should have been Luke’s age circa the original Star Wars.

This would have made Yoda’s ESB comments about Luke being too old more resonant too, given he would have been speaking from experience after seeing Anakin fall after starting his training around the same age.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean both things can be true, there are bad performances across the board in the prequels but even by the standard set there Christensen is really bad

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Raccooon posted:

Because they want people to think Luke will be back. It’s pretty clear Disney knows they hosed up.

I mean Luke will be back? Mark Hamill is in this movie

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Of all the wack Star Wars complaints, “the force can’t do X” is maybe the wackest

The force couldn’t make someone shoot lightning, until we saw that.

The force couldn’t make people jump really high, until we saw that.

The force couldn’t cause people to have premonitions, until we saw that.

The force couldn’t cause someone to physically appear as a ghost, until we saw that.

Literally the only things the force does in the original Star Wars is trick people, choke people and make you better at shooting missiles into tiny holes. They’re constantly adding to what the force can do because it’s intentionally vague and serves the needs of the story.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't we see a giant stone throne in Force Awakens but it was just Snoke's hologram communication thing being big? I was really hoping Snoke was going to turn out to actually be like twenty feet tall for no reason.

You and everybody else. Huge scary alien would have been a cool new thing for Star Wars but then he holograms put at the end of TFA

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
jj abrams sucks rear end. He has literally never made a movie that’s actually good

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vintersorg posted:

It's up there with Henry Cavill cocking his fists like shotguns.

This has me imagining massively jacked Henry Cavill as Kylo Ren and folks - it’s a great visual

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There will literally be Star Wars movies forever now because of the merchandising.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I’d say they’ll crunch the numbers enough to realize that if Star Wars takes a break people will miss it again. I’d say 5 years for a new main trilogy movie. Heavy focus on the Disney+ stuff until then.

Seeing Star Wars has definitely become less of an event since there’s been one coming out annually from 2015 on. Seeing the difference in opening night theatrics from TFA -> Solo was nuts. Will be curious how it is when I go next week.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Stairmaster posted:

It is safe to say ep 9 will not dethrone 2019s film of the year: Dragonball super broly

didn’t that come out last year

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Calaveron posted:

Nice that Disney left the door wide open with Palpatine returning again because if the guy survived being chucked into a reactor, exploding, and then being vaporized along with the Death Star 2 why would getting fried by lightning slow him down

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I mean, it’s a Disney theme park. It needs to appeal to children first and foremost, and kids want to see the most current things.

A smarter move might have been to just generally make it a Star Wars land mixing PT/OT/ST but given that they wanted to make it an immersive Harry Potter type thing I can’t fault them for making it the ST.

I think a more likely culprit of its failure so far is they chose to launch with a single attraction that doesn’t involve spending even more money.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s like prose, it goes on for an indeterminate length and it doesn’t rhyme

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It sounds like Finn and Poe may as well have just not existed in this trilogy.

Also JJ Abrams is so addicted to the mystery box concept that he’s still placing them in what he knows is the final movie in a story.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The dead speak!

Edit: Just remembered Revenge of the Sith’s opening crawl starts with War!

poetry etc

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

El Burbo posted:

lol at the lgbtq moment. Bravo Disney, very brave

Truly the boldest moment of representation since a guy played by the director of the movie briefly used a male pronoun to describe his dinner date