Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I know it's nerdy as hell but that hyperspace skipping thing was extremely galling and felt to me like a slap in the face of basically the entirety of Star Wars up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Judgement posted:

Admittedly, I only saw the movie the one time, so I might be completely misremembering, but wasn't it shown at the very end that several of them already had made it to other locations? Like there were cuts to the SSDs exploding over other planets just to really hammer in the "No really this time it's ALL OVER when the emperor dies"? So were those other ships just kind of..hanging out there and not destroying their assigned planet? Because with the entire Lando fleet at Exegol there wouldn't really have been anything stopping them. Trying to remember any details hurts.

I think it was that the resistance pilots had killed the Destroyers by shooting the big Death Star cannons on their underside, and then once they leave the battle they get the word out to the rest of the galaxy that they have to target the cannons? Am I way off on that? I remember Lando or Poe saying a line that indicated that towards the end, similar to the ending of Independence day where they're like "we know how to takeem down, get the word out...."

Or not, the whole thing really is a blur.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

kidkissinger posted:

You're thinking of Independence Day

Yea I know that's what happened in Independence Day but I remember having that exact thought in the theater, I was like "huh, this is just like Independence Day".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of my ideas for alternate villains would have been old Jedi, probably frozen in cryostasis somewhere, returning and finding out that the Republic betrayed them and killed them all. So they decide that clearly the Galaxy cannot rule itself and needs enlightened Jedi rule and decide to take over. They manage to convince a bunch of Luke's students and so you have conflict within the new Jedi order as well.

I might run that as a Tabletop Campaign one of thse days. My own Episodes VII-IX.

Wasn't there an EU novel where Luke went to some Jedi temple and found an old Jedi Master there who'd been hanging out there for the entire rise and fall of the Empire and had gone crazy from the solitude?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PeterWeller posted:

Ahsoka talked to Rey, and they have confirmed that she is still alive at that point. So there's absolutely no consistency.

They didn't even say she's still alive, that would've been slightly better. What they said was some non-committal answer about dead characters not necessarily having to stay dead or something like that. It's like, yea we know that? Of course you can bring a dead character back, but that's not the question. Ashoka IS dead, currently, is she not? They haven't answered that question.

My read on it is that they threw her in there just to fill out the numbers and then the fan reaction made them realize that it was a mistake and that not using Ashoka in the future would be a missed opportunity(for fan service).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

They don't know the answer to that question because they have nothing planned out. What do you expect them to say?

"Yea, she's dead just like the rest of the dead Jedi from that scene".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Strange how you frame the exclusion of the first two - whose actions directly let to Bad Times - as mistakes.

Mace Windu had been a dick to Anakin since the day they met.

Certainly with Dyas the Council would've been much better off keeping him in the fold. Had he still been in close communication with the Council it would've been much easier to uncover the clone army plot before it was too late. The only reason Dooku was able to pull that off is because Dyas dropping off the map wasn't a surprise to them, they assumed he'd done it of his own accord because of their falling out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I don't think the Jedi knowing that the Republic had a clone army available sooner would have solved the problem of them using it to defend democracy as it transitioned into an Empire (to thunderous applause).

It's not just when they'd know it, it's the fact that they'd be able to just go up to Dyas and ask him about the army, and uncover the plot right then and there. Or, assuming Dyas is killed despite still being a Council member, they'd immediately investigate his disappearance and have a much better chance of uncovering the plot that way.

Point is, their falling out with Dyas is what makes Dooku's plan so believable to them and leads them towards the decision to use the clones. It makes sense that Dyas disappeared so they don't question it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Order 66 is a clean up job. The fatal damage is long since done by that point.

We're talking about uncovering the plot long before then. If Dyas disappears while still a Jedi Council member in good standing, they investigate and potentially uncover the plot before Palpatine is even able to take power in the Senate.

If Dooku orders the army under his own name, the Jedi are much much more hesitant to use the army and at the very least would do a much more intense investigation and have a better chance of finding out the truth about Order 66. The key thing that leads to the Jedi accepting the clone army is that they think Dyas is the one who ordered it so based on that Yoda is willing to put his suspicions aside.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

sponges posted:

Why the hell would blockading an entire planet be legal in the first place.

Hey, it's not the Trade Federation's fault that Naboo can't pay the taxes on the trade routes. In the Republic each planet needs to practice personal responsibility.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zoran posted:

Sometimes I wonder whether Ackbar's death was meant to provide real pathos or not

How could it? It happens so fast and there's isn't even confirmation in the movie that it's actually Ackbar.

It's bizarre how they seem to think fans go crazy for that kind of fanservice.....but hey lets not actually include those characters in the plot and make them relevant to the story, naaaah a quick 3 second cameo should do just fine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see a Jedi/Sith pull a meteor down from space to splatter his opponent, that'd be pretty cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Dooku wasn't even a Sith, he was just a snooty ex Jedi. He was never actually called Darth Tyranus, was he?

He's called Lord Tyranus at one point, which is basically the same as Darth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Did Dooku start working with Sheev right after Maul got chopped or did Sheev have two apprentices?

There are always two. No more, no less.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vinylshadow posted:

So...Palpatine is now in Rey's body, since she killed him, and he said that if she does that, he gets her body, right?

Or is it some loophole that he was killed by his own lightning, which somehow prevents his soul from going to Rey anyway?

Sure, why not. Choose your own ending.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I thought Ian McDiarmid knocked it out of the park in Episode IX. Just a master class in creepy scenery chewing. I enjoyed the opening sequence where his face is eventually revealed by a lightning flash.

Yea I'm someone who thinks they handled the Emperor's return extremely poorly, but if they really were gonna go that route I think it would've been a lot better to go all in with McDiarmid because he was capable of carrying these movies if they'd given him half a chance. He should've been reintroduced at the end of TFA and the stage for the final showdown should've been set already going into RoS.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if it was a Disney/Kennedy mandate or a JJ thing, but they were just so obviously focused on never ever reminding people about the prequels that they bent over backwards to avoid having any political talk whatsoever. So anything about the current state of affairs post-ROTJ with the Republic and Leia's role in it was not gonna be in there. And it killed the trilogy in the cradle imo, because from that point on the stakes were extremely muddled and I really never felt like I had enough of a handle on things to give a poo poo about them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Star Wars subforum is off to a great start, really scintillating conversation over there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

There is a couple scenes in there they used in the actual movie

Amazing how they brought back Coruscant after it was destroy tho

I doubt there was ever a realistic chance of the Coruscant stuff making it in. With Disney Star Wars every planet now has to be some new vague planet that has no previous context or importance. Coruscant is too specific.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Little Death posted:

One thing that new art does have going for it is A) shows the visible effects of war on coruscant and b) has an army of Stormtrooper defectors working with the populace.

That's one thing that this trilogy about a fascists military takeover has been missing, which is actual visible consequences of war. I know RLM had said this about the prequels, but there Coruscant is literally the Imperial capital already in all but name, and half the point of the war using clones (to my mind) is that the political class on Coruscant actuality had no skin in the game when it comes to the war. Here though, the first order is and outside force occupying the Galaxy, so you should see some sign of the consequences of that. I guess that's what kimiji was but that was a setting that meant nothing to the plot.

They really don't want to have to show consequences. Because consequences lock you into an established context that you then are expected to follow through on(i.e. storytelling). Whenever possible they want to be able to reset with every movie and not worry about the consequences of the events in the movie carrying over any more than they absolutely have to.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Haha that article says it's delayed because Kennedy didn't like the scripts. It's so great that fans celebrated when Lucas gave up control and now it's the exact same situation where one person is deciding everything except your at the mercy of a corporate stooge who's never written or directed a film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Well Lucas was retiring so we would not have gotten any more films from him anyway

I'm more talking about the fan reaction to it, which at least initially was "finally we've taken Star War back from the hands of the despot Lucas!" It was absurd at the time and it looks even more absurd now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I hate to be a fanboy, but you'd probably enjoy Matt Christman's take on it. Basically that Star Wars was never the work of just one person, and it's impossible for Disney Star Wars to be any good because the amount of money at stake demands that the risk management aspects of filmmaking overwhelm and obliterate the art. My take is very much the same, although I like the prequels.

Yea I mean in the end no matter how many creative people do the work, the decisions still funnel down to one person who has ultimate veto power and when you trade someone like Lucas for someone like Kennedy, the business priorities overwhelm artistic concerns almost completely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ingmar terdman posted:

The trilogy really seems like a failed attempt at giving a generation their own saga/set of heroes and it'll be interesting to see if it has the staying power in the fandom that even the prequels do

The next big Star Wars thing people are excited for is the return of The Clone Wars show, so yea I find it hard to believe that new sequel trilogy related content will still be made and highly anticipated 15 years from now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the old days of the EU, backstory info was kinda scarce so as a Star Wars nerd when you learn that Han is from Correllia and the Falcon is technically a Correllian freighter, it was easy to assume that this was the standard design for all Correllian freighters. The natural instinct was to take the little bits of information and try to use them to fill out the whole world of Star Wars in your own imagination.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Mods No Masters posted:

To be fair those are all features not bugs if you assume the objective is to remove any hurdles in the way of generating as much star wars content as quickly as possible

Yea the objective seems to be to keep as many options open as possible. Which means you don't want to really allow the audience to fully get their head around the overall status quo, because then they'll expect you to follow up on that. Disney would rather force you to deal with some disorientation with each new film so that they can have free reign to be as reactionary as they want based on their board meetings and focus groups.

Oh this movie was too predictable? Ok, well lets kill of a major character apropos of nothing in the next one, that'll take care of that complaint. Oh, fans didn't like what we did with Luke in that one? Ok well gently caress it let's just bring back The Emperor, that'll give the fans that classic Star Wars nostalgia hit they've been asking for....and so on without having to really consider whether what you're doing fits with what came before.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What SMG said about them being terrified of creating the next Jar Jar is right on. It's a mindset that infected the entire Disney/Star Wars project, they were so concerned with not being accused of making the mistakes of the past, they ended up with movies that really have nothing to say and hardly even have anything interesting to look at. And they're fine with that, because it's not like you have to give the money back in ten years if nobody remembers the movies you made. They don't care about if this stuff stands the test of time, they've got their billions and they'll happily repeat the process again until the billions stop coming in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

The Mandalorian occurs so far to the margins of anything of galactic significance (which is good, btw) that I can't imagine what they could need to retcon from it.

It's pretty definitive about what happened to the majority of the Mandalorians during the Empire's reign, so if all the sudden they do a movie showing that Mandalore is totally fine and nothing bad happened there, that would be a major retcon.

Mandalore has actually featured pretty heavily in both Clone Wars and Rebels so it seems pretty likely that stuff could make it to a live action movie at some point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I would imagine Disney is fine letting their flagship television program titled "The Mandalorian" be the definitive work on the fate of Mandalore. But I've been wrong before!

Well it's important to them right now. But in a few years when the show is finished and they've moved on to other things, they might think differently about it.

But yea I'd guess they stick with what's been established because they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of content that Star Wars fans actually care about and Clone Wars/Rebels/The Mandalorian is one of the few bits of nostalgia they might have left if they need to sell a movie to a burned out audience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Little Death posted:

the Expanse manages to make the Belta creole sound like a bunch of different accents at once. I don't see why Star Wars couldn't try something similar.

Part of it is they don't want to use subtitles too much, but if they didn't have that restriction it would be a lot easier to have alien languages that don't directly correspond to a real world accent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Star Wars, outside the old EU at least, has never really been all that creative with the aliens in general. Like, I'd never expect to see something along the lines of the opening of Valerian where you've got a fish alien who walks around in a big tank of water with robot arms and legs attached to it. Star Wars historically has never gone that far with the designs compared to some other sci-fi series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Little Death posted:

Right, but they don't use subtitles in the Expanse. They just looked at real creole languages and made a new one that is a mix of English and others, and have the actors speak in a very specific inflection that is impossible to place, asking with new words that you get from context. They even have characters code switching so that they speak different amongst reach other than they do to earthers or martians. You could be really creative and come up with all sorts of ways to indicate alieness in speech without going straight for "this dude is Thai, that dude is dutch"

I don't disagree but that's the more complex and difficult route. It's much simpler to just have a completely alien set of weird noises that have no resemblance to any real language, and just throw some subtitles under it. But they don't even wanna do that because they probably assume there's a lot of people that don't want to have to read them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I absolutely believe that they put Palpatine in the trailer because they knew full well how ridiculous it was that he was just gonna randomly show up in the third movie of the trilogy. And they wanted to prime the audience so that people didn't sit down in the theater and start the movie with a bad impression. When you're laughing at the opening crawl that's not a good way to start a Star Wars movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I figure it’s the other way around: Palpatine was originally a twist but, after they made him central to the ad campaign & it got a fairly positive response, they were like “gently caress it! Just put him in the first 10 seconds of the movie!”

But if it was intended as a twist, why put his cackling laugh in the trailer at all? Doesn't that give it away?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

Wasn't the initial speculation that he was like a ghost or something that Rey would confront in the ruins of the Death Star. Like it could still be a pretty big part of the movie with him talking about how his actions are still haunting the current characters even without him being alive and becoming the main foe

It still undercuts what should've been a huge twist though. Why even let on that Palpatine will have any presence in the movie at all?

Anyway these are rhetorical questions because you can't try to figure out the logic of how Disney makes these decisions, it's pointless.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mike N Eich posted:

I still can't believe Disney set out to have a new trilogy and didn't even have the most basic idea of what the story for that trilogy would be

Well they did have an outline:

TFA: The one where we get Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher back
TLJ: The one where we get Mark Hamill back
RoS: The one where we get Billy Dee back

You expect more planning than that?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think people are just used to the idea of comics having many different incarnations of the same characters over the years, and also many one-off "what if?" stories that were very up front about not being connected to any specific continuity. Star Wars has always been thought of as a single continuous story that's been unbroken since 1977, however untrue that may actually be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

That's probably also true although I'm skeptical most of the people seeing Endgame are comics fans (i guess if we're talking specifically about internet fans who are a different animal)

I dunno I think even people who don't read comics are kinda generally aware that characters like Batman or Superman have been used and adapted by a whole range of different people and that you aren't supposed to worry too much about continuity between the different versions. Like, when people went to see The Dark Knight they didn't complain that the Joker is supposed to be dead because everyone understands that the Burton Batman films were their own separate thing. In Star Wars we've never had that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah people were real understanding about the last superman and batman movie, definitely no one got mad over how those characters were depicted

Well all fandoms have their limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I still do not understand how "rule the galaxy as father and son" means communism. Was George Lucas a devotee of Juche Thought?

I forget the details but it has something to do with Vader being a melding of droids(the exploited underclass), and man(the ruling class).