Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Darth Maul was fine. If you care about Star Wars EU continuity, it makes sense for him to have not only survived The Clone Wars but have rebuilt a power base as a crime syndicate. If you don't, hey it's that guy you liked from 1999.

Also at this point I think Xizor would be just starting out; it couldn't have been that long since Darth Vader destroyed his homeworld.

I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Solo. It wasn't until it was over that I really appreciated I had already written a mediocre-to-blah movie in my head before I even saw it. It turned out to be very different and much better than what I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The movie actually takes place more than a decade before ANH.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You can't croak The Snoke!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I mean the real problem (from a financial perspective) is Solo was a botched production---it ended up basically having to be shot twice, so the production cost was like twice what they expected. It's like one of the most expensive movies of all time, when there is no excuse for it costing more than say Elysium or All You Need is Kill: Live Die Repeat on The Edge of Tomorrow.

Like, poo poo happens----you don't tell Tom Brady to never throw a ball again because Amendola tripped and rebroke his arm one time.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What I'm saying is yea Solo underperformed very badly----but there are several factors you can point to, like the May release and the reshoots---which might keep Disney (or whoever) from giving up on any more Star Wars Stories. Like seriously, they made Deadpool and Chappie for under $60 million. Can nobody can get a Boba Fett movie in the can for that much? loving give it to Robert Rodriguez, he'll shoot it on a handheld camera in the backyard of his ranch.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 23, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
TLJ is now on netflix. Should I watch it?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
drat that is a nerdy rear end reason to pick on someone

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

cargohills posted:

what's funny about "attack of the clones"? this is a genuine question, i really don't get what's wrong with it.

It's because Clones sounds like Clowns and also, like Timeless Appeal notes, an intentional homage to cheesy 50's sci-fi movies.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
RWEAL Star Wars watch order (trust me on this)

ANH
Sicario 2: So You Wanna Be A Soldado
Pumpkinhead
THX 1138
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
This music video by Gackt
Read Star Wars: Darksaber by Kevin J. Anderson
TPM
Pumpkinhead 2: Hypercube
Mobile Suit Gundam: New Mobile Report - Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - A Star Wars Story
TESB
TFA
That one Twilight Zone with the all-powerful kid
Solo, the David Bowie/Philip Glass collaboration
RotS

it's an emotional journey

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The ending scene of Phantom Menace really effectively uses Philip Glass too---

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRg3agJn1Mg[

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

galagazombie posted:

Solo was a really stupid idea and yet they did it anyway. Though one would have to think that with all the hate they've been getting with "ruining the original vision behind star wars" and the weird turnaround a lot of peoples opinions have had on the prequels that they know there would be too much negative backlash if they tried.

I don't think there was anything inherently stupid to the idea of Solo. The "no one cares about how Han Solo got his start!" thing is a post-facto meme generated by the movie's terrible buzz before it ever hit theaters. Lucasfilm made a mistake in allowing(?) the movie to be framed as "an origin story for Han Solo" as though he were another Marvel Superhero, when it should have been "a heist story featuring a young Han Solo."

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Only satisfying ending is for Rey and Kylo to conceive a new Chosen One the same way Palpatine and Plagueis did, performing a Force Ritual holding each others' shoulders and then headbutting one another screaming "FORCE! FORCE! FORCE! BOOYAH!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
As I was watching Episode VIII, at the moment Rey lifts the rubble from the cave mouth and the Resistence is resurrected/reborn, I said oh my god are we really doing this? It was like something from Pureflix. Which is when I realized, the reason so many feel a dissatisfaction with Star Wars 8 is that it isn't science fiction---it is a sermon, by way of a very plodding and exacerbated allegory. Moreover, what it's preaching is that boring old gnostic herecy---smoothing out the problematic elements of the gospels, insisting that Christ only pretended to die and actually teleported away to Tibet or whatever. This monophysite attempt to "correct the record" reemerges over the centuries because some people just can't bear awful truths---that Christ blew up a random tree because he had a bad day; that he was totally racist; that Anakin Skywalker was just some idiot, and so on. No, things have to "make sense"-----there can be a Chosen One who's totally woke, etc.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 14, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Gonz posted:

My neighbor's dentist, who also works part-time for Nintendo, told me that Episode IX will have Idris Elba as 007.

Star Wars 9 will star Idris Elba as Rey's grandson Mike Skywalker-Kenobi ft. Simon Pegg as C-3P0 and Matthew McCanaughey as Darth Maul; it will be a box office disappointment making only 999 million dollars and SMG will love it

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

cargohills posted:

all Rian Johnson had to do to make a good film was to shoot my awful fanfiction

If we're all exposing our power levels, allow me to show you a level beyond Super Saiyan.

I wrote what I think people call a Treatment for a putative Star Wars 9. It's about 3700 words long. Read it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grc316dcvtilb15/OhGodIveWastedMyLife.rtf?dl=0

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I am technologically illiterate enough to now be worried that's a thing I could inadvertently do :ohdear:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Jerkface posted:

how do you think theyd portray rey and kylo smashing? maybe they should force smash instead of physically smash. and then they make a new anakin and rey goes to live on tatooine.

Harime Nui posted:

Only satisfying ending is for Rey and Kylo to conceive a new Chosen One the same way Palpatine and Plagueis did, performing a Force Ritual holding each others' shoulders and then headbutting one another screaming "FORCE! FORCE! FORCE! BOOYAH!"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
And that bridge symbolizes the 21st Century!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Sssnnoooaaaakkkkgggghhh

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Rewatching the throne room scene from TLJ, Snoke seems to p. clearly be a hosed-up human not an alien and I think the idea is he got his head split open but keeps himself alive through sheer hate which would actually be a cool idea if the character wasn't just garbage.

e: also IMO the 'gold bathrobe' is a callback to the Emperor from Flying Guillotine, who gets to be absolutely hilarious levels of Complete rear end in a top hat basically every time he's onscreen.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 15, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Truly it was when Sebulba said (in subtitles) "I'll make you into Bantha Poodoo!" I knew Star Wars was over. Gone was the poetry and subtle worldbuilding of "Nerfherder."

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
lmbo @ the literal "think of the children!" argument

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SMERSH Mouth posted:

It would have been cool if...

Im TLJ Snoke ended up just being a sith hologram/holocron from long ago. He could still use the force but was bound to the holocron. For the throne room scene he would have possessed a host (probably some kind of intimidating trooper in full-faced helmet and armor) and battled Kylo & Rey. Maybe the holocron gets destroyed in the end. This would have wrapped up Snoke neatly, added to the world building (we see the dark-side version of Yoda & Obi-Wan-style force ghosts) and set up a juxtaposition of Snoke's cruel possession vs Luke's heroic projection.

You want sentient holograms in STar Wars?

I mean personally I'd loving love it. Have Rey be a clone created from Anakin's tissue that Palpatine meant to insert his brain into when he got too old; she fell off the back of the clone truck during the Battle of Jakku and thinks she's just been there "her whole life." Have galactic politics turn out to be a long chess match between technology-based Sith holograms and Jedi "ghosts" from the psi-web. They'd never, ever do anything close to that awesome but whatever.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I mean they literally show you the Spartans throwing screaming babies into a pit full of bones and debauched Spartan priests pawing some girl drugged off her gourd

e: Cersei Lannister literally summarily executes a dude on the Senate Floor and everybody's like "hell yeah you go girl death to traitors"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Leonidas is disgusted with the priests and defies them and all, but he certainly isn't doing anything about them. In fact he's protecting them, even if his main concern is his own family.

Is the moral of the story that corruption is okay if it's coming from Our Team's Locker Room?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't think there's anything you can do to make classic Spartan culture look OK from a modern perspective. They were a pretty appalling bunch of fucksticks TBQHWYF.

e: I mean they basically won their civilization's equivalent of WWII and like 40 years later they were essentially chucked out of international politics because they were such high-handed arrogant fuckwizards that everybody hated them.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 22, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

remusclaw posted:

Zach Snyder is good at what he does if what he wanted to do was appeal to that mindset, and he is bad at what he does if he was going for satire, because the people who are totally down for eating babies took his modest proposal seriously.

The movie "succeeds" at getting you all pumped and ready to curl iron and thinking that part where they push the guys off the cliff was awesome, and that was Snyder's very deliberate intention. It also works as a sendup because the narrative of the movie itself is lit. propaganda. The movie isn't trying to make you think that killing babies is good or that Persia is Mordor, that's just what its protagonists think. You can accept their POV or reject it. I mean basically, porque no los dos? It's a rad action movie and a critical look at their underlying assumptions. It doesn't "fail" because some people only get the one out of it and not the other.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 22, 2018

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

remusclaw posted:

I liked it as a violent spectacle. As satire, no.

Where is the critique, outside of what the director has said in interviews. Again, I ask, what does a non satirical version of this movie look like?

We have, in the movie, an example of why baby pits are good in the traitor who avoided said pit and doomed the Spartans. We have, in the movie, an example of why peace pushing civilian politicians are just traitors looking to sell you out for money. The pedophilia ridden Spartans get to be all smug about the boy loving Athenians and it never comes up that they are hypocrites in that regard. The slave holding Spartans get to crow about freedom, and it never comes up that they even own slaves. What we don't have? Any positive examples of non Spartans.

You can write that off as a flawed narrator, and I would agree if you would name that narrator as Zach Snyder.

I mean it seems like you yourself 'got it,' your argument just hinges on: 'but other people might not/didn't. They should have made it more obvious for those other guys, not me.'

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
At a guess, I think Snyder wants people to come see his movies. I also think he tries to make his movies work at both levels. Like, I haven't seen Sucker Punch, but I'm assuming the action scenes are supposed to be entertaining on the level of action as well as building up to the twist that the "rear end-kicking action girl" is a fantasy that can excuse exploitation (of womens' bodies, of nerdy guys' fantasies, whatever). Like, porque no los dos?, again.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's bad enough to pointlessly have 2 star wars threads, but why is one of them mostly discussion about zack snyder

The Justice League thread is too chill now for the Snyder Wars

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Nah. Both nutrilogy films are trash, if in different ways. Meanwhile Rogue One remains by far the best of New Star Wars with Solo, despite being a smoldering wreck of a movie-that-could-have-been, placing above Episodes VII and VIII on actual visuals/production design alone.

e: I'm helping you!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Would it shock you to learn that after his experience working with Lucasfilm/Disney, Gareth Edwards decided he was tired of the stress of major studio blockbusters and left Godzilla: King of the Monsters to work on "smaller projects"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It seems like the salient criticism I'm seeing over and over is that the heroes of R1 aren't "likeable"-----they don't make funny faces or quip nearly enough---therefore it's incomprehensible when they do things merely because they are the right thing to do.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Jeddah was also itself a sacred city, and Saw had dedicated the last several years to liberating it from the Empire (or at least making them pay to hold it). It's kinda like wondering why a devout man might lose the will to go on if Jerusalem was nuked into a crater.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Technically, Jeddah is a moon. A moon..... called Jeddah.

Gareth, you card.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It seemed really weird to me that a planet would be called "bight," even if its only notable feature was a spaceport (so there'd be some logic in that a bight is almost synonymous with a safe harbor). Luckily Wookiepedia clears this up in the very first line of its article:

quote:

Canto Bight was a coastal city on the desert planet Cantonica.

Cantonica! Home of the long-vanished civilization of the Narcoleps!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
And Jeddah sounds like cheddar if you're english. I'm here all night folks!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
There is a lot of speculation that Michelangelo was indeed gay as a stack of blueberry pancakes but nobody really knows. Personally I think it's more "hey look I studied a bunch of skinned corpses on the sly and I'm an anatomy expert now lookitmeeeee"

e: nope I'm wrong the one with a lot of questionmarks is Leonardo, we're actually pretty sure Michelangelo was gay

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
But whether she was born in a palace or scrapheap Rey is, by the film series' rules, part of a genetic minority of like 0.001% of the galactic population. Moreover, the first thing she does upon discovering her powers is turn it over to the disposal of Galactic Aristocrat Leia and Knight Luke Skywalker.

Ben Solo is as close to being born in the purple as it gets in the Republic, but becomes a genuine (if kinda clueless) revolutionary.

Like, nobody can control who has whatever percentage of midichlorians they're born with. What's important is what you do with it.

e: Not saying you're wrong about the filmmakers' intent, just that it's kinda a dumb message

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Star Wars being some kind of Bourbonaist fantasy about the Force-Wielding Master Race falls apart under any kind of scrutiny. Like, who are the two actual force-wielding aristocrats in the Prequels? Sideous and Dooku.

e: it's not like I haven't made the slam myself, being a Trekkie, but it depends on a paper-thin reading of the movies.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 28, 2018