Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I had fun, but dear God was that so dumb. It just felt like the sequel to a alternate reality version of movie 8 that actually set any of this up. I mean that opening scroll was doing some heavy loving lifting.

It just felt so self-indulgent. It was kinda like the opposite of TLJ in that it was a completely paint by numbers movie that took zero chances and relied on some extremely dumb cliches, but flowed pretty well.

It wasn't Phantom Menace bad, but that's not saying a ton. Probably Revenge of the Sith tier

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Was Force healing ever a thing before this?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I did actually like most of the stuff on Endor until Leah died. Then it got very dumb, very quick

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Horizon Burning posted:

i guess the argument is that disney deliberately undid the best film to please... uh... the russian bots who review bombed RT?

if you don't think disney did extensive analysis to figure out how to make the most crowd-pleasing movie they could after TLJ then you've got internet poisoning as much as the people who thought bb8 was a little white cuck ball

Well all of those focus groups sure made a great movie, that's the common sense to when a movie gets written by committee, right?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Uncle Wemus posted:

Its so divisive I can't figure out if SMG will tell us its good or bad after he finally sees it

He's gonna write pages about the rebellion literally castrating the First (Final???) Order when they destroyed the dong cannons on the ships

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Seriously, just let her go evil and then force Ben Solo to kill her. You needed that kind of personal conflict to try to tie it together. And then he can be the last Skywalker

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm still annoyed we didn't get to see Rey force lightning either Kylo Ren or Emperor Palpatine. Like, you can't just drop that in there for a 30 takeout about Chewbacca's death and then not bring it back.

Also, so Fin was gonna Rey that he loved her when they got pulled into the quicksand. And then they didn't actually follow up on him doing that later.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hazo posted:

I was not disappointed. I was terrified I would be, but I thought they managed to wrap everything up satisfyingly.

And :regd10: owns

He was the best part of the movie

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So who were all the people in the sith auditorium?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

hobbesmaster posted:

Finn actually isn’t interested in any of his “girlfriends”. They should’ve just had Poe and Finn kiss at the end so we can all agree that Abrams is the greatest fanfic writer.

I mean, they are the only two characters with any chemistry whatsoever in these three movies!

BB8 and :regd10:

:colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Palpatine can survive being in the heart of the Deathstar when it blows up, but Phasma died when she fell through the floor

:rip: to a real one

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

stev posted:

She's out there somewhere. Probably moved in with Rose.

Love can bloom on the battlefield :unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I still can't believe Disney didn't have a plan for the trilogy. Like I get wanting to give director's some creative freedom, but to not have the overall shape and direction planned before you started just seems crazy.

3 JJ movies might have resulted in 3 unoriginal movies, but there might have been some kind of continuity throughout.

Was Rian originally supposed to direct this one or was it planned as 3 separate director's, and then one dropped out and later Rian got fired for angering the internet?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So after 3 movies, the best scene was when the random Storm trooper yelled "TRAITOR" at Finn

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

remigious posted:

To all the people complaining that Kylo Ren died, I’m sorry but he murdered his loving father. You don’t come back after that, especially in a Disney movie.

Except he did, multiple times. He got saved from a deathblow with the bullshit force healing, and then multiple falls.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
This script still feels like it has one too many plotlines in it, but overall I like it significantly more than what we got. Mainly because it seems like it is atleast trying to build on the themes of TLJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah Luke not having a moment with Kylo as he pretty much promised was a letdown. Luke's role as written is such a first draft, just like every line Sheev has. Such a drag because you can usually count on the nutty space wizards on both sides to have some good material

I do like the idea of him just constantly heckling Kylo when ever he is trying to concentrate or train or whatever