Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Apologies if this has come up before, but how many takebacks are there in TROS? Specifically, within the confines of TROS itself, and not taking back from Last Jedi or elsewhere. Not even in a "subversive" way, but just stepping back what could have been an interesting or at least influential consequence for the sake of maintaining TROS's theme-park meaninglessness. For instance:

-Chewie dies on a transport - nevermind, different transport! Even if other characters watched him get on that transport and we never saw another one.
-C-3PO has his memory erased - nevermind, R2 kept a backup! And nobody else thought to make one?
-Leia uses her remaining life energy to help Rey fight Kylo - nevermind, she doesn't fade into Jedi Valhalla until much later so that Maz can smile down at her.
-There's only one Wayfinder and Kylo destroys it to force Rey closer - nevermind, there was a second one.
-The Holdo Manever's effectiveness is too rare to risk as a regular military tactic - nevermind, it works above Endor.
-Nü Sheev will use the Final Order fleet to take out the remaining three planets that could stand against him... but he doesn't want any of them to leave the driveway without GPS activated, even though they could just agree to meet up at Tattooine or whatever afterward. (less of a takeback, but still feels contradictory)

Separately, I can't help but laugh at how smugly TROS whines about TLJ. "Guess I'll just exile myself to an island and never help anyone again because good intentions are bullshit, that was Luke's parting lesson and nothing else, gently caress you Rian, heroes should beat up bad guys and smile more."
Chris Terrio, off to the side: "Oh, I listened the first time."

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Eimi posted:

The only more fitting thing than Poe calling Hux Hugs is if later in the movie Kylo called him General Sux.

Hux: From now on everyone will call me General Fux--
Pryde: *immediately shoots him* Only I may hold that title.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

One red mana, three damage, instant speed, Sheev's got four ready to roll at any given moment.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

zer0spunk posted:

i like that the defense of this movie is "it's about space wizards, why were you expecting anything?"

idk something can be fantasy and also badly done..quite easily i'd argue..

but then again, the people in charge of this thing had a fortnite lead in, so they seem to agree with your assessment that none of this poo poo matters

RLM's "What did you expect, rear end in a top hat?" has become become Disney's default poster tagline.

"They blew you up today, you'll blow them up tomorrow, go get your pilot back, lover boy."
-DJ

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

2house2fly posted:

The context is that everything Luke does is a reaction to something Kylo does. In the context of the overall movie, that would be better phrased as "a reaction to a choice Kylo makes." The only exception is his apology, which didn't seem to be needed- he was already successfully stalling.

"Kylo, I have a message to you from your grandfather, given to me through the Force. I can only transmit it to you if we both sit quietly and count out loud until... *glances at blown rebel base* uhhh let's say five minutes for starters."
*five minutes pass, rebels fly away*
"Anakin says a real badass would tear down the First Order and rule the galaxy with an iron fist of free health care and Force-assisted mentoring."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Is that hinge saber a model podracer?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Everyone posted:

So the Corvette we see was the original Corvette from A New Hope? I... don't give a single poo poo about that. No reaction whatsoever.

The Second Trilogy frustrates the poo poo out of me because that was the story I most wanted after Return of the Jedi. I wanted to know what happened next.

When the prequels were announced my own reaction at the time was... muted. Okay, great, more movie Star Wars. But I pretty much figure I knew this story. Not the details, but obviously the ending. Blonde, preppy Anakin would be Vader. That nice, kindly-seeming Senator from Naboo would be the tyrannical Emperor. Yoda ends up in a swamp. Obi-wan stays on Tatooine to babysit Luke. Blah-blah, Trade Federation, blah-blah Clones, blah-blah, powers considered to be unnatural. Whatever, can we get through this bit to get to what happens next.

And after all that waiting and hoping, what I got was... nothing happened next. We just got puny-scaled, poor imitation of what happened in the original trilogy. At this point I don't really care what happens next.

Wait til the Second Prequel Trilogy, which will fill in the story between RotJ and TFA with all the interesting bits the sequel trilogy utterly handwaved (rise of the First Order, Palpatine's contingency plan, Luke's jedi academy, Leia stemming the fascist tide as best she can, Han & Lando drifting apart without a common cause).

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

JJ can define a mystery box however he wants, but the mystery boxes associated with his movies/shows are more like tacit acknowledgements that go nowhere. "A story for another time" type handwaves like the blue lightsaber or any of a dozen "what was that / who cares keep running" sequences. I'm all about going with a story's flow and enjoying the moment, but at the same time, the story shouldn't draw attention to its seams before aggressively steering away from them.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Of course it's not clear disney himself want to commit to luke slipping, from the sound of things deepfake luke is mostly badass coolguy

If TLJ had opened with a flashback of Luke saving young Kylo from Sith kidnappers (swap out Grogu from that Mandalorian rescue scene, basically), then a lot of nostalgic fans would have felt catered to and simmered down*.

A quick taste of Badass Luke, as a little treat. One of those quick fixes that makes a lot of other material for together, right along with "Rey zapping a ship in TROS should've triggered a repressed memory of zapping her parents' ship as a child." Just a little connection!

*Right before getting riled up over some other character arc, I know, I know

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

CelticPredator posted:

I guess for me Luke walking out of the smoke and taking bullets and brushing it off was super badass to me. As someone who thought luke was his childhood hero, it was amazing for me

Same here, but the cranks who needed to see Luke whup some rear end with his lightsaber and take on dangerous odds to rescue someone would have gotten their amazing moment too. I think such a scene at the start would also link up well to Kylo's circumstances, how he'd been 'rescued' before and didn't want to be in that position again despite so clearly needing it and lashing out as a response.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Snoke, egging on Kylo in order to get chopped in half and reunite him with Rey: I am truly the last jedi

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I fail to see how making your lead antagonist a total pushover idiot clown who is bad *intentionally* makes for compelling conflict. She couldn’t even intimidate a ten year old girl.

No, see, now it makes sense why Vader used an interrogation droid to get info out of Leia in ANH, cuz everything needs to be couplets.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Robot Style posted:

Luke also deflected an AT-AT blast in a comic once.

What comic is this, and is it consistently that pretty?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Glottis posted:

It always seemed like using the tow cables to trip the AT-AT was an incidental discovery by Luke in that very moment, not like, a thing they were at all made for.

There's a story in the Tales From The Empire anthology about an AT-AT facility under attack (can't remember if it was real-deal or just an exercise). One of the AT-AT pilots invents a maneuver you also see on Hoth, to kneel down and pivot the neck to fire at a speeder. The pilot imagines it could be useful in the event that tow cables were deployed to trip it up, but his superiors call it a waste of time. Kind of a Simpsons-esque 'banality of evil' moment, but kid me ate up the explanation. And now it's here! The moment of payoff!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is what happened to me, too. I read the Thrawn trilogy, then read the Jedi Academy trilogy, which starts off with the "rebuilding of Coruscant", and I'm all, "Hang on, what the gently caress happened?" It wasn't quite as easy back then to get a quick recap of anything you missed. But then also one of the Rogue Squadron games (I think it was the N64 one, but it might have been the Gamecube one) had it's final level be the Battle of Mon Cal from one of the Dark Empire comics, with "World Devastators" and V-Wings, and you're like, "What is any of this?"

As someone who came of age with the EU books leading into Rogue Squadron, seeing any version of the World Devastators got a HELL YEAH from me.

Also, someone earlier in the thread referenced a lightsaber that can extend to double its length, and now I am reminded of Kyp building his lightsaber so that it had THREE crystals in it and could extend to triple length! He ignites it on Luke, who jumps into a tree, then he extends it and Luke reacts like a startled cat.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

josh04 posted:

Wrote up episode 5 of Obi-wan, sounds like I mostly agree with the consensus on this one.

Nice writeup! I was about to correct your spelling of "just deserts" as needing an extra S, but it turns out the expression originally uses desert!

FWIW, my takeaway from the parallel duels was that, similar to your observation about power, Anakin learned how not to get jumped at his most confident moment, but he happens to be super evil now so all his enemies are poo poo out of luck that he was trained by the best just before his turn. Before he was but the learner, now he is the master.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The real tell is that ANH Leia gives no poo poo when he dies.

"Uh Luke? Car's running. (To Han) We can leave without him, right?"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

moonmazed posted:

goons love to quote terry pratchett like he's the most profound author in history

OMG BOOTS

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nerds have spent almost four decades trying to convince me Episode 6 is bad. It won't work. It's definitely not in the same sublime league as 4 and 5 but it works and most importantly of all, it sticks the landing. You know how many good things I've seen poo poo the bed at their conclusion at this point?

https://www.tor.com/2014/02/11/you-all-forgot-that-luke-skywalker-is-a-bamf/

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm fine with Han's role in RotJ since he was on the run and sidelined(frozen) in ESB. Beforehand, Leia told him he was a born leader and a great help to the Rebellion... and RotJ is him helping the cause and leading the troops to victory, right alongside Leia who unfroze him! He's doing what he was rescued to do, otherwise Endor wouldn't have ended quite the same way.

As for the OT needing to end with death or an evil twist... Luke does lose his father moments after he finally turned back to the light side. Lucas is 100% correct that a movie causing you, especially as a kid, to feel "real uplifted, emotionally and spiritually, and feel absolutely good about life" is a worthy goal. Good on him.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Glottis posted:

I do think it's kinda fascinating how rabidly people will defend this show. A significant chunk of the fans seem to actually enjoy that it's hokey as gently caress, some think it's just straight good, some I'm not sure they actually watched it. I can't imagine people are going to be revisiting this one, though.

"What do you mean you didn't like part/all of Star Wars: _____? It's the greatest entry in the franchise to date!"

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

FunkyAl posted:

I did not actually see the film, the marketing was pushing the quirky comedy hitler ghost hard enough to put me off the whole deal.

I waited to rent it from my library due to a similar reaction to the marketing and was pleasantly surprised by what the movie actually was.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

josh04 posted:

Of course, the fact that this means Obi-wan strolls off leaving his friend mutilated and burned, and rolling slowly down a hill towards likely oblivion, is yet another indication that the Jedi way might have a few cracks starting to show at this point.

OTOH, Anakin screaming that he hates Kenobi in response to him expressing sadness/love kind of deals the deal on whether there's still hope for Anakin. (Or the emergent Vader in him I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Bongo Bill posted:

I love establishing shots with a spaceship landing in them.

Agreed, plus if you're marketing a hundred different spaceship toys, it helps to see them taking off and landing in order to imagine playing with them even more. Locking S foils in attack position has generated a billion dollars by this point.