Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not even sure why John boyega/Finn are even in the movies .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
having just watched blackstar warrior, that was great and enjoyable hell yeah

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only mistake tlj made was not realizing kylo ren is the first compelling character in star wars history and not excising everything but Rey, Luke and kylo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Every Disney Star War has suffered massive amounts of studio tinkering, on the level of infamous productions like Suicide Squad - but Rogue One survived with only minor first-act pacing issues, whereas Force Awakens had its protagonist edited out, along with the associated narrative.

Solo got hosed worse than any of them; even its plot changes drastically from shot to shot. It’s in no way “pretty good”. That points to massively reduced standards.

Did you get r1/force awakens typed backwards here or am I missing something

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

IG-88 posted:

Some of you guys forgot ROTS culminates in Anakin slaughtering a bunch of kids

How could anyone forget the best scene in the prequels

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like how that entire vanity Fair article only mentions rose twice, both in past tense from TLJ

And her love interest replacement is another non-white person except this time a primitive using a bow and arrow. What if sexy Chewbacca but less developed , as a new character, I guess

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
jj going from a remake of a new hope to a remake of star wars 09+endgame is too good a theory to not be true

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Tlj obviously ended with the resistance fleeing like obiwan and Yoda did, waiting for a new generation to rise up and be trained by the hidden old guard

Except ep 9 is coming out not about that so who the gently caress knows. Hell, it's inexplicable how the trailer has all those b, y, a and xwings

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The licensing/royalty theory about Lucas getting paid if they use his planets (tattoine , coruscant etc) makes a ton of sense for the cinematically identical yet differently named places in the Disney movies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bogus Adventure posted:

It gives some context as to why no one wants to go to bat for Leia outside of a few of her close (and apparently disposable) allies from her Rebel Alliance days.

Also as to why the promising leader at the end of return of the Jedi is now a grumpy old rebel again despite every single person aware of the movies assuming she'd be a top leader of the new republic

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why does anyone care the slightest bit about maz

It's like caring about phasma because a famous actress had the role. Who gives a poo poo the characters is a joke

There's 3 characters worth a poo poo in these 3 movies: kylo, that cool stormtrooper that yells traitor, and Luke

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 22, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's nothing to care about in the movies in general because they were horribly botched, might as well ruminate on the compounding absurdity of the insane decisions of everyone involved

Release the rogue one cut where jyn was a terrorist in the desert for a decade instead of being hastily rewritten to just not existing for a while

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So Poe and rose do entirely nothing in this movie ; amazing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AndyElusive posted:

If we are going to believe the spoilers then apparently the Knights of Ren also do absolutely nothing other than circle menacingly as an alien repairs Kylo Rens helmet.

They're there for kylo to clown on

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This being made canon is loving wild.

None of the post Lucas movies are canon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mukaikubo posted:

OK after reading the spoilers I expect this last movie to be better on a technical, workmanship level than the last jedi, because JJ Abrams is like the avatar of some greek god of unobjectionable solid mediocrity in filmmaking, but it's going to all be so stupid and retroactively make both sequels even stupider, cementing this entire sequel trilogy as a bad idea as most people knew in their heart it would be.

So no real surprises is what I'm saying

No matter how you look at ep9, it's retconning the single best scene in all dozen of these movies (throne room in Jedi) and it's unforgivable

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like having a clone of Luke running around that is called Luuke would probably confuse people

Also the salamander creatures that suppress Force abilities

Those were both cool

I don't know what the vong are but the sound like that species 8427 and again , cool but no way am I reading 15 books about them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Canon isn't real and you shouldn't concern yourself with it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wild Horses posted:

sounds like loving bullshit. The look and theme of the show was at its best in season one, where they supposedly "knew nothing".
It was the later seasons which dropped the ball on the look feel and mood of the world.

There's a good chance hbo had all the logistics and production and whatnot ready to go and that first season was when d&d had the least input on everything

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Whoever is filming mandalorian has no idea how to convey the leads competence in action scenes

The brief jango Fett fight with obiwan was a million times better than anything in that first webseries ep

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably a dumb question on the Mandalorian.

So you have a space ship that can go anywhere. But to get where you are going you have to ride horseback. Did I loving miss something?

They wanted a scene of the mandalorian being an incompetent buffoon who needs a pep talk and wrote in two lines to justify that

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Well, tfa is super forgettable. I was in a Walmart before TLJ came out and saw a Blu-ray for tfa and thought it was an alternate cover for one the prequels since I'd completely forgotten tfa was ever made

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This does lead to the idea that of course holdo got mutinied, the way she was dressed was just asking for it

But seriously if it wasnt Laura dern in the role and was instead , say, sam Niel no one would care to defend the crappy leadership

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just realized the counterpoint to Leia/poe/holdo is picard/riker/Jellico, where riker doesn't trust this new guy who is a dick until Jellico sits him down and explains his command philosophy (as I vaguely remember it, it's been 20 years since I've seen chain of command )

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 19, 2019

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mandrel posted:

remember how the old ally was a character we’d never seen or heard of before who died immediately and had no significance whatsoever beyond being played by a beloved actor

that old ally we all know and love

Yeah tfas entire loving opening is absolutely insane and there was no way to rescue the trilogy from the idiot box that was the result. New republic being the weimar republic and Max von sydow having the map to Luke and dying with no explanation was just ridiculous

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CharlestonJew posted:

The funniest part about the "yeah actually a ton of spaceships were coming to support the Resistance, they just didn't get the response because of FO interference" leak is that if the Resistance was able to stall for just a little more time then the FO would have been wiped out and the heroes would have won.

Time that could have been bought by say, Finn blowing up the miniature Death Star laser. Way to go Rose

Nah, at best they'd wipe out those first order ships locally but the FO controlled the entire galaxy . Who even died after the laser knocked down the door? No one that I can recall

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The entire character of Rose was a callus, calculated, borderline racist move on Disney's part to suckle from the Chinese market teat.

Change my mind.

If this were true they'd have cast a Chinese actress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gohmak posted:

The only theory that is plausible is the one that the First Order is the New Republic turned fascist not an invading foreign military.

Its really funny if you think of them as just a political party with well regulated planetary militias working together

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

kidkissinger posted:

I just want to be sure, TLJ is set like 8 hours after TFA, right?

For all we know it took weeks for Rey to train with Luke and the opening happened well after shed gone there. It doesn't really matter in any way does it? Maybe it's a year later by the time she leaves Luke and Poe is getting demoted, who cares?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ema Nymton posted:

If the leaks are true the silver lining is that this conversation must've happened and that's the funniest poo poo I can think of

https://twitter.com/maryscavenger/status/1197509809437921280

I bet jj promised him the rest of the script would be delivered later and quietly locked drivers trailer when he was out and ignored all calls

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It turns out the emperor survived falling down that shaft, ok so you fight him and you fall down the shaft and then you die forever

Sequel hook!

And if it's true it's literally what jj is doing, making it so he can bring kylo back if desired

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ungulateman posted:

How does shooting lightning out of your hands factor into this? Or is that something you get to do when you're evil regardless of your political and religious affiliations

Sith only power up until Rey does it in which case it was never sith only

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AndyElusive posted:

THEY FLY NOW??!

They fly now!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ingmar terdman posted:

I get how threepio is surprised bc he's an old man that hasn't been out in the field for awhile but why is finn surprised lol

Isn't this the first time anyone not named Fett has had a rocket pack thing in the movies

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

No Mods No Masters posted:

Poe is probably the closest thing the resistance has to a leader at this point if you count out zombie leia and nien nunb, you would hope he would be aware of basic equipment deployed to random stormtroopers when in combat engagements. He is responsible for these people's lives and he has failed them

Wrong, he's there to follow orders from whoever else shows up to say they're in charge now

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LionArcher posted:

Palp being back makes sense.

Can someone refer this person to a mental institution

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Blast Fantasto posted:

The funny thing about “not having palpatine in this story would be crazy!” is that that line of thinking way more makes sense for Anakin who has a major presence as the fallen hero in the PT and the redeemed villain in the OT and who could conceivably appear in the ST as a full on hero/guiding mentor.

But literally no one would want this because it mean

A. Doubling down on the whole “anakin’s force ghost is a 25 year old man for some reason”
B. Bringing back the person who delivered maybe the single worst acting performance in the entire franchise

Kylo Ren with cool Vader on one shoulder and lame Anakin on the other

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if they'll even attempt to have emotional stakes for Rey in her fights agajnst kylo this time

It's not like she's believably in danger from him

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vintersorg posted:

How the hell is TFA confusing?? :lol:

Tfa tells us that , in the direct sequel to the emperor dieing and his spaceship blowing up, the remnants of imperial ships are now just crashed out scrap and the empire is dead and buried

It also tells us that Han and Leia's marriage failed after they had a kid, the kid got corrupted, luke fled, the new republic failed, Leia failed and made her own brownshirt army to support her old friends who now ignore her, and that a new group made up of ?? Has so much might it is retaking the Galaxy and does so quite easily due to the new republic's failure.

It doesn't show us any of this besides the space laser. It does show us lots of knowing glances about special child Rey but doesn't show or tell what these mean or how Han/maz/leia know about rey. It also shows us a famous actor with a map to Luke who immediately gets killed and don't ask questions about him

The details are left as an exercise for the reader, who in this case was Rian Johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlamingLiberal posted:

John Boyega confirmed that the actual TRoS script that briefly ended up on eBay was his script

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/27/star-wars-jj-abrams-reveals-how-rise-of-skywalker-script-wound-up-on-ebay

Makes sense nothing came of it because knowing finns role in the movie spoils nothing since he's a useless charafter