Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on what I’m reading I think that the shot of Luke is a flashback to the burning of the Jedi Academy

The weirdest thing I found from the article was this-

https://twitter.com/riri19911/status/1131190528782028800?s=21

I feel like this movie is going to be a mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sure feels like this movie has to pick up on whatever remaining plot threads still exist that Rian Johnson didn’t throw out the window in TLJ. Plus they are doing the timeskip.

They really should have just had one director or one person decide the plot for the entire trilogy since they have basically said that there was no plan and it shows

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t have a problem with the timeskip. I feel like they had no choice since TLJ ends with the entire Resistance force being wiped out and the survivors only on the Falcon.

I do have a problem with them bringing back Palpatine again. Why? They pretty much did Palpatine again but dumber with Snoke. None of the living characters have any connection with Palpatine whatsoever unless there is a retcon of some kind.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

It's almost as if they should have started them at the actual inciting incident!

I can't imagine these films wouldn't feel more cohesive if the exact same set of events had occurred, but the first film was about Luke and Ben's falling out, the second one was about Luke having hidden away and Rey's quest to find him, and the third one was about Luke and/or his new apprentice facing down his greatest failure.
That sounds a lot better than what we got

Luke has the same failures that Obi-Wan did with his apprentice, and I wish they had even brought that up or something in the two prior films. It’s just jarring for me when they go from Luke in Jedi to a totally defeated Luke in TLJ. I just wish we had more in between there besides some short flashbacks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She had more character development in TLJ than Rey did

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Oh right. "Heres my magic necklace" and "I love finn for *reasons*" amazing character development
I didn’t say it was great but she’s at least a character

I can’t really tell you anything about Rey other than she is an orphan that used to be a scrapper.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

of course once the throne fight scene is over you can practically feel the movie forcibly shove itself away from any kind of nuance described above and go back to 'blue lightsaber good, red lightsaber evil'
I thought the movie was alright until that scene and then everything really starts to come apart. I’m not sure if Johnson wanted to do more there with either having Ben go down a path of redemption or Rey going evil. I feel like there’s no way Disney would have let them do the latter but I thought they were moving towards the former until the end of the throne fight.

To me the themes of the movie don’t really work if you have a bunch of characters saying that we need to let the past die/we need to move on, but then the back part of the film just makes everything a straight good vs evil conflict.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I just haven’t been that impressed with any of the new characters that much. Feels like they just check some character boxes and not much else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Finn’s entire plotline in TLJ should have been redone completely

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

YaketySass posted:

The MacGuffin will be replaced with Han's dice.
Don’t even give them that idea

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

In TLJ he actually has a more clearly defined character arc than Rey. Unfortunately, said well-defined arc is tedious and unsatisfying.
I almost love that this unnecessary, meandering sideplot just ends with them being betrayed and their mission being irrelevant but it doesn’t even matter since Holdo saves them by ramming the ship

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

There's a lot I don't really care for in TLJ, but the lightspeed ramming was cool enough that I didn't think about its ramifications for the universe as a whole in the moment, which is enough that I feel obligated to give it a pass.

It's portrayed as something unusual and unexpected; I don't think the movie is asking too much of us to just accept it as such.
Yeah that was also probably my favorite moment in the movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Thread seems to have come to the consensus that the plot and setting of TFA only works in the context of "It's there because it was there in ANH." If the Republic was so weak as to be that easily toppled the FO wouldn't have needed to secretly build Starkiller Base in hiding. If the Republic wasn't that weak then Starkiller base would not have destroyed it in a single attack. If however, the Republic and Starkiller Base are just Alderaan and the Death Star with the numbers filed off, it makes perfect sense.
There are a lot of problems with TFA not making it clear what the galactic situation at the time the movie starts is. When I first watched it I assumed Corescant was one of the planets that got blown up by Starkiller Base, but I had to go read some things online that explained that no, it was the rotating capital of the Republic and also that Leia’s group was just some kind of weird thing that she commanded.

It’s never clear what happened to all of the other Republic forces besides the ones that got blown up by Starkiller

Then again Snoke was never explained either

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darko posted:

Different people. The guy i worked with that was mad that Rogue One and Last Jedi didn't follow the A New Hope template with big station and lightsaber battle at the end, ie. Return of the Jedi, thinks that this movie is finally back to form. The people that liked TLJ or at least liked that it attempted to try to go somewhere else are the ones I see mad at this.

I think the crossover are people that just hate Rey as a protagonist and want this whole trilogy to fail.
Rey is the least interesting of the new characters and I don’t put that on Daisy Ridley, I fault the writing and total lack of a plan for where this trilogy is going

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I think people have a hard time understanding that "Lucas planned everything ahead of time to the last detail" and "Lucas made up literally everything on set as the actors were speaking it" are not the only two options to choose from. Yes Lucas changed stuff and made up new stuff as he went along, and yes he allowed the story to grow into new places. But he also had a general idea of what the stories central themes were, what the ideas he wanted to get across were, how the aforementioned fit in with what had happened previously in the story, and a general idea of where he wanted things to end up.
Yes and it’s at least cohesive. That hasn’t been the case with this Skywalker trilogy or whatever they are calling it (which to me makes little sense, being that Leia and Luke are not in much of it).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well Fieri did like the tacos served in Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina.
He was not as big of a fan of Dexter Jettster’s diner though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It just blows my mind that TFA just kind of hand waves away what happened over 30 years in this universe and acts like we should already know why Luke is missing, Leia is running some weird Republic splinter group, and Han is once again back to his old poo poo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So for those who have read the supplemental stuff, is there any opposing military besides Leia’s group left after TFA or are we supposed to believe that Starkiller wiped them all out?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beeez posted:

They also don't really go into detail over what aspects of this version of the Republic were flawed enough to lead to it's destruction. That Vanity Fair article says that this new trilogy is about the "sins of the father", but we've yet to be given any specifics about what that means. Is the flaw that they weren't merciless enough in destroying the Imperials? Why does Ben Solo think he has to take on this Vader-esque persona? What is it about the new generation of heroes that has them poised to succeed where the previous ones failed? JJ says that they don't have a desire for the Republic of old, but that's an expanded universe thing, in the actual original trilogy they never once say that they want to make a Republic exactly like the old one, they just say they want to free the galaxy from the Imperials. If I recall correctly, the only characters who even utter the word "Republic" are Tarkin and Old Ben. So there's even less of a sense as to how their goals differ from that of the previous heroes.
This is a major problem for me with this trilogy. They keep calling it the Skywalker Trilogy but it has only tangentially connected to that actual family. Minus whatever they do with Leia in IX, Ben Solo is the only one from that family still around. I feel like if they were going to kill off Han in VII and Luke in VIII they needed a better plan. But it’s blatantly obvious that they had no plan of how this trilogy was going to be on even a broad level and it feels to me like IX is going to mostly be cleaning up the mess of the last two.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember reading that Star Wars book where they killed off Chewie by dropping a moon on him

Also the alien villains had living coral ships

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They better call him Sheev in Episode 9

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would be funny if they blew up the Falcon as they are making it a big part of the new Galaxy’s Edge Star Wars Land at Disney in both Florida and California

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Eh, for me, Into Darkness only truly goes to poo poo when Quinto just absolutely botches the death scene at the end. The film as a whole is fine in the context of JJ's weird reboot universe.
I think the first 2/3 are alright, but once Khan goes full bad guy it's just a shitshow until the end

They really, really just needed to have Cumberbatch play someone besides Khan. There were like 100 Augments still in stasis and you could have made it any one of them. Hell, just have him play Joachim from WoK for God's sake

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It fit with the universe they established in ST09, that is, the part where Section 31 has more power since Vulcan got blown up so they work with the Admiralty to make a more powerful ship to counter the Klingons/other threats

It goes completely off the rails when they decide to do a crappy remake of WoK

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

Kylo Ren has consolidated utter control of most of the galaxy
He is trying to find more Vader relics
Palpatine comes back
Takes over the body of a Knight of Ren
Poe is now in charge of what's left of the Resistance
Rose and Finn are his lieutenants
Leia fucks off to the Outer Rim to recruit more systems
Kylo and Rey have to team up, on Yavin IV, to stop Palpatine reborn
A lot of that sounds plausible but LOL at them going back to Yavin

Also if that is what they do with Leia to explain why she isn’t around I’m going to roll my eyes pretty hard

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That description is also weird because at the end of TLJ I got the impression that they were headed to the Outer Rim to find help but apparently not?

I just want to know what they are planning with Sheev

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Is this going to be a thing where like we thought they were going to Endor to explore Death Star II wreckage but we're supposed to be blown away and there'll be like an OH poo poo close up of which ever main character saying they have to get Sith artifact poo poo from THE FIRST DEATH STAR?
Oh probably. Although if that is the case that first trailer is really bad about lying

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh boy....this one is going to be fun

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

weekly font posted:

I don’t even blame JJ for this. Kevin Feige will go down as whatever the cigar chomping Hollywood bigwig generational talent is. No one but him seemingly can make these long connected franchises work. It’s just the most sad with Star Wars because I’d rather have movies I’ll never forget for the wrong reasons like the prequel then the totally forgettable messes we’ve gotten so far that really stink of studio mishandling.
It feels like Disney didn’t even bother to have any real control over what these movies were though.

I’m not sure who is in charge of the Star Wars stuff but they are clearly not doing a good job with keeping things on track in regards to production and the overall vision of the project.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Disney's treatment of it kind of makes sense if Kathleen Kennedy is taking the "playground for storytellers" approach that someone in either this or the other Star Wars thread mentioned George Lucas had originally intended. However, it's kind of weird to do that with the sequel trilogy.
So is Kennedy the person actually in charge of the SW films? I wasn’t sure if that was the case or not

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

What a terrible pedigree
Just having a resume with recognizable films seems to be enough to get people to the top in Hollywood (freaking Simon Kinberg got to screw up the Dark Phoenix Saga TWICE)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darth Vader fucks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I just remembered the other day that a new Star Wars movie is coming out this year. I don't think i've ever been this non-excited about a Star Wars related anything in my entire life.
Yeah I am pretty much right there with you, especially after the first trailer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I live in Orlando and I have a hotel for the opening few days. I'm hoping they institute the reservation system they did for Disneyland, as that seemed to work to keep down the crowds. But I figure, if it's too crowded, Food and Wine Festival is going on at Epcot, so I can always just go get drunk.

And yeah, I'm not buying the lightsaber.
I just read an article in the last two weeks that it’s going to be awhile before they change the current FastPass system because they spent like a billion dollars on the current one and it’s going to take time to fix it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TLJ had those Sith guards for Snoke or whatever, who also dressed in bright red. That has been a symbol of the Imperial Royal Guard since RotJ.

So possibly those are soldiers loyal to Snoke or whatever the deal is with Palpatine in this movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Make pink Darth Vader canon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

Considering what I've seen pass for movie writing lately, I can see it happening too.
That one scene in Solo where the Imperial officer gives him his name comes to mind

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah Beyond is easily the best of the new Treks.
I prefer ST09. Beyond is ok but they completely botched everything with the villains to the point where it drags down the entire movie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh for sure, Paramount didn’t do any kind of marketing at all between that bad trailer (which Simon Pegg very publicly said was awful) and about a month until release. So a lot of the failure of the movie certainly falls on the shoulders of the studio’s disinterest. Then because the movie underperformed, the studio wanted a lot of the cast to take paycuts for the 4th movie and that was a no-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Paramount has never really supported Trek on film as much as Trek TV so I'm fine if we don't get more movies for awhile